Author Topic: Marvel Heroes, I think I'll pass, thanks.  (Read 22089 times)

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
Re: Marvel Heroes, I think I'll pass, thanks.
« Reply #60 on: February 15, 2013, 12:52:33 AM »
The crafting actually isn't bad, but it's entirely superficial. I do like the drops, but haven't been on enough to really explore some of the content. There was an issue that limited play for a couple of weeks, but that appears to be worked out. I was looking forward to getting back on, tonight, but homework might get in the way of that. The update is running, now.

(Wow. That's kinda stream of consciousness. I wonder if I can rewrite it as a haiku...)
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Illusionss

• Elite Boss
Marvel Heroes beta: WHY
« Reply #61 on: April 27, 2013, 05:15:11 AM »
So, I'm in the Marvel Heroes beta. Any port in a storm, and all that.

WHY CAN NO ONE GET SUPERHEROES RIGHT?????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gameplay, not too bad. I dont see the blocking mechanic: yay! Nor do I instantly die, and there is something to be said for this. But omg, the rest.

1. Diablo-style gameplay. Why is this bad?

Fixed point of view. I said fixed. You will not be mousewheeling around, nope. Not even a little. You are looking where you are looking, and that is all the looking you are gonna do.

Your character is a little tiny figure running around, no detail is visible. The main glory of CoX was your being able to dress your avatar in 50,000 options and then revel in their bad-assitude, or in their beauty!! You will not be doing that in Marvel Heroes, as your avatar is 500 feet away. No joke. And you cannot mousewheel closer.

I dont want to be 500 feet away from myself, nor do I wish to be unable to see myself at all,  FPS-style.

2. No flying that I can see, nosir. Shank's mare, just like you were running around in any medieval-style game. GEEZ, is this not why we want to play superheroes to begin with??!!

3. You cannot jump obstacles. Paranormals who can't jump, its like a bad joke. Hell, regular humans had that down pat last time I checked, much less the superpowered.

And last but NOT least: 100 Hulks, 50 Scarlet Witches, 20 Thors, 5 Captain Americas and 10 Daredevils inhabit the same space. LAWL, PEOPLE. Just *lawl.* It is the stupidest, most immersion-breaking thing you have ever seen.

Hurry up, Phoenix Project or else I am gonna die waiting.  :P

TigerKnight

• Underling
Re: Marvel Heroes beta: WHY
« Reply #62 on: April 27, 2013, 07:00:55 AM »
I've been in Marvel Beta when they did one of those key things way back a month ago. I can't get in now but one thing I remember that I was like "I thought we were superheroes???" that you failed to mention is how villains like Rhino, Electro, and Venom require like 20 Hulks and 10 Thors to defeat. The fact that it takes more than one Hulk and Thor to take out Rhino is simply ridiculous.

Still, I never had high hopes for the game. Not because of it being Diablo style (Well, maybe in addition to....) but the fact the developer told the audience while hold a picture of a guy with forks coming out his hands Wolverine style "There won't be any custom characters in our game. No one wants to play fookin Fork Man"

Clearly, he has no idea what makes a good Superhero MMO.

Kistulot

• Elite Boss
  • Argentum Weritas Est!
« Reply #63 on: April 27, 2013, 09:07:50 AM »
Honestly, when I played it I enjoyed it. I've argued all along calling it an MMO is inaccurate (at least in the traditional sense) but its not a bad little game for what it is... but it doesn't make any qualms about what it is. I've been out of the beta for awhile due to other concerns and not wanting progress to be wiped, but I think that calling it absolute rubbish is unfair.

If you want a replacement for CoH, this game has never pro-ported to be that. Look elsewhere.

If you want to try a Diablo-like using Marvel characters, give it a try.
Woo! - Argent Girl

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #64 on: April 27, 2013, 10:30:44 AM »
So, I'm in the Marvel Heroes beta. Any port in a storm, and all that.

WHY CAN NO ONE GET SUPERHEROES RIGHT?????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gameplay, not too bad. I dont see the blocking mechanic: yay! Nor do I instantly die, and there is something to be said for this. But omg, the rest.

1. Diablo-style gameplay. Why is this bad?

Fixed point of view. I said fixed. You will not be mousewheeling around, nope. Not even a little. You are looking where you are looking, and that is all the looking you are gonna do.

Your character is a little tiny figure running around, no detail is visible. The main glory of CoX was your being able to dress your avatar in 50,000 options and then revel in their bad-assitude, or in their beauty!! You will not be doing that in Marvel Heroes, as your avatar is 500 feet away. No joke. And you cannot mousewheel closer.

I dont want to be 500 feet away from myself, nor do I wish to be unable to see myself at all,  FPS-style.

2. No flying that I can see, nosir. Shank's mare, just like you were running around in any medieval-style game. GEEZ, is this not why we want to play superheroes to begin with??!!

3. You cannot jump obstacles. Paranormals who can't jump, its like a bad joke. Hell, regular humans had that down pat last time I checked, much less the superpowered.

And last but NOT least: 100 Hulks, 50 Scarlet Witches, 20 Thors, 5 Captain Americas and 10 Daredevils inhabit the same space. LAWL, PEOPLE. Just *lawl.* It is the stupidest, most immersion-breaking thing you have ever seen.

Hurry up, Phoenix Project or else I am gonna die waiting.  :P

That first question is very good question. I dont think game developers/publishers take super hero MMOs serious. They think it's some side project fun to do for now until they get bored in a few months to years, or until they come up wit hthe next fantasy game.

Captain Electric

• Elite Boss
  • Crime doesn't pay, evildoers!
    • CoH Faces Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 27, 2013, 10:48:42 AM »
On the mousewheel zoom, you may want to file a bug report or try another mouse. I can zoom in VERY close to my characters and I do so frequently.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
« Reply #66 on: April 27, 2013, 12:55:29 PM »
I think this has to be the first game I've lost interest in while it was still in beta.
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Illusionss

• Elite Boss
« Reply #67 on: April 27, 2013, 04:34:44 PM »
If you want a replacement for CoH, this game has never pro-ported to be that. Look elsewhere.

Perhaps there are others out there like me, who didnt really know much about the game but wanted to give it a try, since we are mostly homeless now. I have been over there, and I reported on what I saw. People now have more info to make a decision with.

No one said "this game purports to be a replacement for CoH!" But for people looking for a new home, at least until one of "our" games comes out, yes they are looking for a replacement.

No one wants to play Fork Man, indeed. I dont want to be one of fifty Scarlet Witches either. When the game hits Live it would probably be 100 Scarlet Witches..... genius move.

Mazz vs The World

• Lieutenant
« Reply #68 on: April 27, 2013, 04:59:21 PM »
Yeah I just started my beta access today. TERRIBLE!! It plays exactly like Marvel Ultimate Alliance which came out oh lets see 7 years ago!! Also the click to move is annoying and so is holding down the W-key and moving the cursor around to move. I knew not to try this but I was trying to be a good sport and you can't knock it until you try it, well I'm knocking it. They took this long to come up with this crap?? The game play is boring, the powers are boring, the duplication of the same characters over and over is boring. This game is absolutely terrible I'd rather play Monopoly.

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #69 on: April 27, 2013, 05:09:56 PM »
Yeah I just started my beta access today. TERRIBLE!! It plays exactly like Marvel Ultimate Alliance which came out oh lets see 7 years ago!! Also the click to move is annoying and so is holding down the W-key and moving the cursor around to move. I knew not to try this but I was trying to be a good sport and you can't knock it until you try it, well I'm knocking it. They took this long to come up with this crap?? The game play is boring, the powers are boring, the duplication of the same characters over and over is boring. This game is absolutely terrible I'd rather play Monopoly.

Monopoly can be fun wit hthe right crowd and an half way honest banker.

I cant do the click to move games. Thatis automatic deal breaker if the movement cant be customized.

Not to mention, dont enjoy playing games where I'm just another Marvel toon among hundreds of marvel toons and among the usual arguements about who's Hulk looks better.

Golden Girl

• One Liners and Winky Faces
  • Elite Boss
    • Heroes and Villains
« Reply #70 on: April 27, 2013, 07:36:17 PM »
And last but NOT least: 100 Hulks, 50 Scarlet Witches, 20 Thors, 5 Captain Americas and 10 Daredevils inhabit the same space.

Atlas Park on Freedom server?
"Heroes and Villains" website - http://www.heroes-and-villains.com
"Heroes and Villains" on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/HeroesAndVillainsMMORPG
"Heroes and Villains" on Twitter - https://twitter.com/Plan_Z_Studios
"Heroes and Villains" teaser trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnjKqNPfFv8
Artwork - http://goldengirlcoh.deviantart.com

Captain Electric

• Elite Boss
  • Crime doesn't pay, evildoers!
    • CoH Faces Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 27, 2013, 08:12:51 PM »
Hehehe.  :D

Mistress Urd

• Elite Boss
« Reply #72 on: April 29, 2013, 09:42:09 AM »
While the graphics are much better than Diablo 2, Marvel isn't a better game.  :roll: I have a hard time deciding which is better between D3, Torchlight 2 and Marvel, they are all dumbed down D2 with better graphics. Gameplay in Marvel wasn't bad, but is such a letdown when you compare it to CoH.

Illusionss

• Elite Boss
« Reply #73 on: April 29, 2013, 02:19:27 PM »
I dont see this game having "legs" at all. I dont see it lasting eight years.

The lack of customization is the main dealbreaker. This is truly for the type of person without a thought in their head except for "I want to play the Hulk." I am sure some others will enjoy it for other reasons, but it just strikes me as a godsend for people without ideas.

If it were not for having to play THEIR heroes and for the Diablo-style click-to-move, I'd give it a shot. But I dont want to be one of 100,000 Thors, and that's just the bottom line for me.

Styrj

• Boss
« Reply #74 on: April 29, 2013, 03:33:09 PM »
Kistulot:  In all honesty, there is no "elsewhere".

Illusionss:  +10 everything you said.  Not to mention then fact that you can't create your own toon and pick your powers.  Marvel had a chance to do some really good things with this game, but they blew it BIG TIME!!!  Just Diablo 2 with Marvel heroes running around.  This is, IMHO, worse off than CO (which is not really saying much.).
« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 03:41:40 PM by TDGeorge »
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!  Infinity Server...

Illusionss

• Elite Boss
« Reply #75 on: April 29, 2013, 03:52:42 PM »
Good point. Where is this "elsewhere":

DCUonline: Undroppable missions which permanently roadblock me. Wildly-swaying camera motion gives me serious motion-sickness in combat, and I see no way to disable camera sway.

CO: That &*%(ing block mechanic. Simplistic art-style. Little to no teaming.

CoX: dead.

Point me to that other superhero game where I can find surcease from my withdrawal woes: I will go there at once.

Meanwhile, wondering if Secret World is worth checking out.  :-\

I really think NCSoft has no idea what they have done. Or maybe they do and are deriving great enjoyment from our pain; who knows.

AlphaFerret

• Boss
« Reply #76 on: April 29, 2013, 05:13:15 PM »
I took part of the closed beta as well.  I would call it entertaining, but not an immersive experience.  Feels like a console game.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
« Reply #77 on: April 29, 2013, 05:38:18 PM »
It would be interesting to see in, say, two years, when they decide that they need to add a customizable character mechanic, how they flub it. Will it be in how clumsily bolted on it is, or in how limited the "choices" are? Or will it be in some new and surprising way that hasn't been messed up in other games? :)

Brightfires

• Elite Boss
  • ... is *NOT* Groot
« Reply #78 on: April 29, 2013, 05:58:58 PM »

Meanwhile, wondering if Secret World is worth checking out.  :-\

I really think NCSoft has no idea what they have done. Or maybe they do and are deriving great enjoyment from our pain; who knows.

They don't care enough to get any enjoyment out of it. City and its players are simply a non-issue now as far as they're concerned.

As for Secret World, I'd recommend reading the thread about it here... It has its moments, but if you want something that reminds you of the way City played, Secret World IS NOT IT, in any way, shape or form.
Taker of screenshots. Player of bird-things.

JetFlash

• Boss
« Reply #79 on: April 29, 2013, 06:00:52 PM »
While the graphics are much better than Diablo 2, Marvel isn't a better game.  :roll: I have a hard time deciding which is better between D3, Torchlight 2 and Marvel, they are all dumbed down D2 with better graphics. Gameplay in Marvel wasn't bad, but is such a letdown when you compare it to CoH.

While I haven't even given Marvel a first look, I'm going to say that Torchlight 2 was better than D2.

Hey Marvel!  Want to know how to get a lot more players?  Allow them to re-skin the characters with customized costumes, size and genders included.  If they did that, I'd be all over that.

Custom Iron Man = Jet Flash.  Custom Hulk = Titanium Girl.  Custom Deadpool = Kaishin.

Do it, and I'll give it a go.  Otherwise, I'll wait for TPP and H&V.