Author Topic: MMORPG.COM / MMOFTW - the top stories of 2012  (Read 14405 times)

therain93

• Elite Boss
MMORPG.COM / MMOFTW - the top stories of 2012
« on: December 31, 2012, 03:51:56 PM »
http://www.mmorpg.com/showVideo.cfm/videoId/2867

So, Bill Murphy lists the closure of City of Heroes as the #5 top story of 2012, which is good.....and then at 1:15 he says it's all about the profits and that City of Heroes could no longer turn one....not so good.
@Texarkana - March 5, 2004 - December 1, 2012 -- Imageshack |-| Youtube
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You don't know what it's like.... |-| Book One. Chapter one...

Lily Barclay

• Elite Boss
Re: MMORPG.COM / MMOFTW - the top stories of 2012
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2012, 04:15:50 PM »
http://www.mmorpg.com/showVideo.cfm/videoId/2867

So, Bill Murphy lists the closure of City of Heroes as the #5 top story of 2012, which is good.....and then at 1:15 he says it's all about the profits and that City of Heroes could no longer turn one....not so good.

Can you comment? Correct it politely and link the Korea times article. They used independent analysts that confirmed profitability.

Quinch

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2012, 04:22:11 PM »
I added my two bits in the comments.

Starsman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2012, 04:30:21 PM »
Saw it. Replied it. Cant believe that the profit BS is being perpetuated when NCSoft themselves don't dare say it (because, well, you know, it would be a lie.)
For the sake of the community: please stop the cultural "research" in your attempt to put blame on the game's cancelation.

It's sickening to see the community sink that low. It's worse to see the community does not get it.

I'm signing off and taking a break, blindly hope things change.

therain93

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2012, 04:36:35 PM »
Can you comment? Correct it politely and link the Korea times article. They used independent analysts that confirmed profitability.
The 4 comments are all polite corrections about the status of City of Heroes' profitability. ( ' :
@Texarkana - March 5, 2004 - December 1, 2012 -- Imageshack |-| Youtube
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You don't know what it's like.... |-| Book One. Chapter one...

Lily Barclay

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2012, 04:41:50 PM »
The 4 comments are all polite corrections about the status of City of Heroes' profitability. ( ' :

Yep. Just saw it on my twitter feed.  ;)

Madadh

• Minion
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2013, 04:46:39 AM »
Just took a peek myself.  Not a bad YiR, but agreed, the comment that hints that CoH wasn't profitable was somewhat...  Ehrm..  Well..  Glad to see several folks retorted...

But, after reading further through the comments there.....

WTH did someone do to Toast?  Not sure if Toast there is the Toast I know, but, man, he/she/they sound seriously hacked off at Titan, and at even the theoretical idea of a CoH return...  I am not sure if it's the same person I recall, tho, but the comment does seem to indicate that they were both in game, and in forum.  I'm had many a heated argument with other CoHers on the forums, often over an near pointless matter of build theory, but never got bitter enough to bash the entire forum community.  In fact, if you made me take a breath, I'd always admit, that the forum community, while a bit more passionate than the average CoHer, was every bit as courteous and polite.

Makes me wonder of a Pocket D cat-girl sprayed his apartment or suit, or something...

NoName

• Minion
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2013, 08:21:38 PM »
The last comment on these forums was he was upset at people doing the emulator route and was railing against that.

I don't know the guy I just remember he was saying how he was giving up was upset that people weren't paying attention to his charity posts.

For someone who "let go" going on a different forum and bashing this one seems out of sorts but like was said above, maybe there was a personal attack involved or what not.

btw maybe I'm out of touch but why do people spell out every word and then say "tho", was there an update I missed? Have I crossed over to codger territory now?

Absolute

• Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2013, 09:41:28 PM »
Quote from: BurntToast6
but unfortunately you have a few (approx 100) people over at Titan

This made me Lol

houtex

• Elite Boss
  • I was the turkey all along! MEE!
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2013, 10:25:35 PM »
There are always pi**y b****es.  Toast is one of them.  Too bad there's no /gignore available there.

And no, NoName, you haven't crossed over... people are just seriously lazy and love to typ n txt mode.  I mn srsly, is it so hrd 2 typ tngs? I tnk its a twtr thng, nly so mny chrs.

/Ugh, that's harder than typing normally by a LOT. :p

Illusionss

• Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2013, 11:31:04 PM »
Just took a peek myself.  Not a bad YiR, but agreed, the comment that hints that CoH wasn't profitable was somewhat...  Ehrm..  Well..  Glad to see several folks retorted...

But, after reading further through the comments there.....

WTH did someone do to Toast?  Not sure if Toast there is the Toast I know, but, man, he/she/they sound seriously hacked off at Titan, and at even the theoretical idea of a CoH return...  I am not sure if it's the same person I recall, tho, but the comment does seem to indicate that they were both in game, and in forum.  I'm had many a heated argument with other CoHers on the forums, often over an near pointless matter of build theory, but never got bitter enough to bash the entire forum community.  In fact, if you made me take a breath, I'd always admit, that the forum community, while a bit more passionate than the average CoHer, was every bit as courteous and polite.

Makes me wonder of a Pocket D cat-girl sprayed his apartment or suit, or something...

As I recall he was making a serious nuisance of himself over on the official forums, pre-shutdown.

I often wonder about the real motivations of people who continue to try and interact with those they claim to despise. I think he has problems going on that have nothing to do with CoX, that's just a hunch but its.... my strong hunch. It seemed to SERIOUSLY upset him that not only were others upset by the closure, but that they were going to try and do something about it. It was like he really wanted to single-handedly stop such efforts.

Well, I hate it for him. I'd suggest moving on, rather than doing this sort of thing - but I'm pretty pragmatic anyways.

Hotaru

• Lieutenant
  • Just a demo-loving fool in the Far East...
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2013, 12:10:37 AM »
The bit about COH not being profitable is believed by people because that would've made sense. Two weeks ago I talked to a guy who used to work for NCsoft Japan and is now working on a different MMO for another company. He said the same thing: that the closure would be due to it not running in the black. When I corrected him, he said that was really messed up, then.

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2013, 01:57:46 AM »
There is a certain type of person who once something seems to be going badly they not only give up they go whole hog lemming.

They want to save you from any positive action as it will only delay your going lemming as well and will do you some sort of permanent harm. Don't work to save the game - don't falsely raise anyone's hopes as that could stop them from going lemming as well. I mean in a world where we are so full of immorality, dishonor and hate do not attempt to comfort a person or give them a reason to wake up with a smile and looking forward to life.

These people are to be despised among all others for they are the buzzards on the corpse wagon picking the bones of the dead. We are heroes and by god - It's not only what we DO - It's who we ARE.

Captain Electric

• Elite Boss
  • Crime doesn't pay, evildoers!
    • CoH Faces Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2013, 02:47:13 AM »
At some point, everyone started migrating over here to these forums. Which was good. There was a thread that Tony started to invite and direct the community over here, and I bumped that thread every single day when people stopped chatting in it. However, I stuck to the official forums along with several others till the end, basically to field misinformation and fight the green tide of Supatrolls. So, I saw the evolution of IBurntTheToast's attitude toward everything, from beginning to end.

BurntToast was a staunch supporter of the Titan Network and the SaveCoH movement in the beginning. In some ways, he was an even stauncher ally of the SaveCoH movement than most SaveCoHers in the beginning. When everyone around the Titan Network insisted on walking on egg shells around NCSoft--largely owing to the cultural divide and possible misinterpretations--IBurntTheToast was the first to point out that South Koreans are polar opposites of their more oppressed neighbors for a reason: citizens there have been willing to march for everything from democratic reform to corporate reform, to force their government and businesses to listen up and do the right thing. He was the first to defend me when I insisted that multinational corporations aren't designed to have "hearts" that you can appeal to with personal stories; they only have PR departments that can be alarmed by significant amounts of bad press. I'd like to add that at this time and the time leading up to it, he was a friendly forum personality for the most part.

BurntToast is a South Korean-American. His parents marched for democratic reforms in South Korea.

His attitude toward the Titan Network changed fairly quickly when a kind of campaign was mobilized around the ideals of the Korean concepts of kibun and nunchi. This is an area where I wasn't on anyone's side. In difficult times, it's tempting to try anything and everything, but during that particular moment in SaveCOH's history, some people discussed scenarios, generated meme images, and generally approached a threshold beyond which they would have become worse human beings than those who fired Paragon Studios without notice and shut down our game world.

BurntToast's belief is that we didn't just approach that threshold, but that we--as in all of us, collectively and by association--rushed over the edge and revealed ourselves to be racist monsters at worst, moral-deprived opportunists at best. But I know better. I know some of the people here better, though I definitely will not defend everyone. And I know myself better. I disagree with him, and in many ways I think it was he who flung himself over the edge, motivated by all of the negative experiences that a South Korean-American undoubtedly has had to deal with growing up in the United States. I sympathize with him, but that does not mean I think he is right. I think he is very, very mistaken and misguided.

Some who participated in that campaign were motivated by the kindest intentions--trying to reach out to another culture by learning and using their own tools. It was marred by those who were motivated purely by racism, which I know some were, based on comments I've received from some of you in private; and some who had the audacity to suspect that I would support their intolerance because I'm a white male.

No one ever apologized to BurntToast. And BurntToast will presumably never apologize for labeling many good and decent folks monsters by association. I do think he considers himself an active enemy of the SaveCoH campaign, and that, given the opportunity, he would sabotage or throw a wrench in any efforts underway, whether that's Plan Z, SEGS, or Hail Mary.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 03:43:24 AM by Captain Electric »

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
  • There are some who call me... Tim?
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2013, 03:39:36 AM »
Either

A. NCsoft paid these guys off or
B. They were way too willing to assume that NCsoft "tried everything"
C. They're afraid of getting sued for saying anything that doesn't make NCsoft look like a saint

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2013, 03:42:47 AM »
Either

A. NCsoft paid these guys off or
B. They were way too willing to assume that NCsoft "tried everything"
C. They're afraid of getting sued for saying anything that doesn't make NCsoft look like a saint

D.  They are lazy non-journalists and are perfectly willing to take an easy answer as opposed to one they have to research.

I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

Captain Electric

• Elite Boss
    • CoH Faces Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2013, 03:48:17 AM »
D.  They are lazy non-journalists and are perfectly willing to take an easy answer as opposed to one they have to research.

This is more often the case.

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
  • There are some who call me... Tim?
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2013, 04:10:07 AM »
I thought the news was supposed to maximize intrigue and scandal... what the heck happened? Don't these people care anymore about giving their viewers anxiety attacks by making reality appear infinitely grim and dark?

Captain Electric

• Elite Boss
    • CoH Faces Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2013, 04:17:16 AM »
You mean like this?

*Captain-Electric sighs wistfully and longs for the good old days...*

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2013, 04:19:15 AM »
In my observations, the farther you get from print news, the less actual journalism you will find.

That's kind of interesting about Toast. I mean, it's terrible, and I feel terrible, even though I was one of the many trying to keep us on the non-racist side of that line, but the back story does put things into perspective. I feel pretty terrible about it, now, to be honest.
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."