Author Topic: Had my first moment.  (Read 6543 times)

Palladiamors

• Minion
Had my first moment.
« on: December 29, 2012, 02:36:36 AM »
First off,  an explanation.  I am a gamer.  Have been for a while.  I was never bound by just CoH,  but it was my go-to MMO.  It was always there for me to go back to when I needed to cause/prevent some mayhem.  This is not my first MMO closing.  That being said,  I generally shrug them off,  though I do still miss Auto Assault from time to time.

Now,  onto the story.  I have craving's sometimes.  Urges to play games with specific quirks or features.  Some days I want squad based games.  Others,  RPGs with gun toting characters.  Other days,  action games with swords.  These are just generalizations mind you,  but I think you get the picture.  Some days I am just in the mood for something specific.

Well today I was sitting there working away at my novel,  when I had a sudden urge.  I wanted...pistols.  Not just one.  Two pistols.  Flashy.  I wanted to mow things down,  and look pretty cool doing it.  And I got an image in my head of what I wanted...and then it struck me.  I wanted my dual pistols blaster.

Probably the most depressed and disheartened I have been since the announcement.

Lucretia MacEvil

Re: Had my first moment.
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2012, 02:47:53 AM »
I've been getting CoX cravings since the day after it closed, but especially now, during the holidays.

Being between semesters gives me wayyy too much free time, and I miss my elec/wp/mu brute like crazy!!!!
(and my wp/staff tank, and my plant/dark controller {who had a fun concept}, and my fire/kin anything, and.... y'know what? I miss them ALL!!!)

Noyjitat

• Elite Boss
  • Guess who cares?
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2012, 03:15:04 AM »
I really missed not being able to beat up evil snowmen this year.

Palladiamors

• Minion
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2012, 03:19:54 AM »
I pretty much always miss my masterminds,  so I don't notice it as much.  This was just one of those really bad urges.  That I uh,  obviously couldn't do anything about.

I miss beating up on snowmen too.

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2012, 03:45:44 AM »
I miss...everything.  All the time.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

antarcticaa

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2012, 05:31:58 AM »
I'll absentmindedly think I need to go work out some stress in CoH for awhile and then remember the grim truth.  Or I'll think I want to go play with the costume for so-an-so, and then remember the grim truth.  Or I'll think I want to work on a build in MIDS or something- and then I remember the grim truth.  Or I'll think I want to talk with my guildies or friends and then I remember the grim truth.  Those thoughts keep flitting unbidden thru my brain and I can't stop it.  It's like sheer torture.

Xieveral

• Chaotic Neutral
  • Boss
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2012, 08:06:32 AM »
The Secret World has a build where you can use dual pistols. None of the flashy moves we had in CoH though, my TSW incarnation of Lock and Load Lari is quite bored with her moves there other than the whootwirlyshootingspree ability which is more silly than cool.

Personally, I miss being a graceful stalker.
?RSN = CKN(CRS.ROD)

RSN = GLR(EMP.MCL)

Palladiamors

• Minion
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2012, 08:55:26 AM »
I love The Secret World.  My pistols/shotgun character is a ton of fun.  But it just ain't the same.

Globetrotter

• Boss
  • I am a still Hero and This is what I do!
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2012, 11:17:20 AM »
Was doing some demo-editing yesterday, working with the costume creator and all that, but.....

... there is nobody to chat with, while seeing all the heroes on screen :-(
Gutta cavat lapidem, non vi, sed saepe cadendo.

Lily Barclay

• Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2012, 02:01:34 PM »
Champions has dual pistols. I haven't played with that set yet, though. Well probably be the next toon I roll.

I mostly miss the city itself and my friends that are scattered across different games. Not quite ready to settle in to CO and make a new group of friends to play with all the time, though I am comforted having acquaintances and the CoH community there to play with when I want to.

Still, the most resounding loss for me is the city. I watch the videos and see it again, and man I just miss paragon and the rogue Isles so much. I knew that city so well I never had to look at the maps to find anything. I miss it bad. Such a cool city.

Palladiamors

• Minion
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2012, 03:19:56 PM »
Champions dual pistols are alright,  but still not that same...feel.  And I have this problem in Champions where I have to have as many summons as possible...

KnightHawk Prime

• Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2012, 11:10:24 PM »
I really missed not being able to beat up evil snowmen this year.

Crossposting this to the Doctor Who thread.

I watched the Doctor Who Christmas special this year, and all I wanted to do after was go beat the hell out of winterlings, and maybe the Winter Lord, but I'm a blaster, and I'd expect to get my butt kicked. ;]

*sigh*

Despite that, Happy Holidays everyone, and happy new year!

2cp. ;]

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2012, 02:19:59 AM »
http://www.mercedeslackey.com/

An indictment of NCSoft is now my front page.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

Menrva Channel

• Boss
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2012, 07:55:37 AM »
I keep getting the subtle longings and urges to log in. To hop on my favorites and tool around town--or run a mayhem mission--or heck, even just sit and /chat/ with my channel buddies... Or you know... smite a crowd of Hellions in Perez with Balls of Lightning or Ion Judgment... And it doesn't get any easier. even if I can recreate the costumes, I miss the movement. (But... seeing them /move/ again does help.)

Cryfire

• Lieutenant
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2012, 08:54:22 AM »
I woke up the other morning and was planning to play some City of Heroes, until I remembered it was gone. Miss the community so much, more so than my characters which I can at least see in demo records still.

Does Titan Network have chatrooms? My old SG The LEGION on Liberty has a website with chatrooms (Not that I ever saw anyone ever use them). 

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2012, 02:39:53 PM »
I have not played any games for more than a month now and in fact I have no interest in playing. I tried logging into Steam and all the games just don't have that spark that CoH did.

It may be that NCSoft stopped this old gamer from ever playing again, I tried Left for Dead 2 but it was a bit too repetitive to bother. In Paragon I could do whatever I wanted to and so far nothing else is close.

Nafaustu

• Boss
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2012, 05:40:36 PM »
I have not played any games for more than a month now and in fact I have no interest in playing. I tried logging into Steam and all the games just don't have that spark that CoH did.

It may be that NCSoft stopped this old gamer from ever playing again, I tried Left for Dead 2 but it was a bit too repetitive to bother. In Paragon I could do whatever I wanted to and so far nothing else is close.

I'm having this same problem.   I keep thinking "Ill try this MMO...nah, they'll just close it on me."
Nothing singlesatisfies my creative needs right now, and I don't want to invest in another mmo.  Even so called casual games are ticking me off, as I see no point to them.

/broken gamer

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2012, 07:02:05 PM »
I know do you know what you could do in the AE making an Angry Avians mission...............

Madadh

• Minion
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2013, 05:19:33 AM »
Glad I wasn't the only one.  That said, with no CoH, I'm very glad Doctor Who delivered in a big fun way.  Very much looking forward to more of the new companion.
No spoilers here, though...

But I totally agree with 99% of the sentiment.  except the bit about being a blaster..  I'm a def, and we expect to do sadly low DPS, but survive anything, and drap a team out alive with us.  Or I do at least...

Sadly, it'd REALLY hard to find an MMO game with a good debuffing type, def or corr type character available.

Crossposting this to the Doctor Who thread.

I watched the Doctor Who Christmas special this year, and all I wanted to do after was go beat the hell out of winterlings, and maybe the Winter Lord, but I'm a blaster, and I'd expect to get my butt kicked. ;]

*sigh*

Despite that, Happy Holidays everyone, and happy new year!

2cp. ;]

Jetfire99

• Lieutenant
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2013, 01:16:12 PM »
glad I ain't alone tried to log on After New years to buzz the D then I it hit me gone.  TSW has me for quality of story at least and enough people I know are on CO but ya nothing quite is COH I have been MUSHing mostly as of late of all things.

Valjean

• Lieutenant
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2013, 01:24:56 PM »
I almost miss saving Baby New Year..... :-(

healix

• Elite Boss
  • Every good friend was once a stranger
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2013, 08:22:18 PM »
I just wish that we had the choice of whether to save him or not,,,,
Listen to the 'mustn'ts'. Listen to the 'don'ts'. Listen to the 'shouldn'ts', the 'impossibles', the 'won'ts'. Listen to the 'you'll never haves', then listen close to me... Anything can happen . Anything can be.

Palladiamors

• Minion
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2013, 05:40:57 PM »
I'm a mastermind at heart and I CONSTANTLY miss that feel,  as it were.  Its just weird to have a different craving that is CoH centric,  then realize it ain't happening for a while,  at least.

Side note,  about to try Age of Conan.  Necromancers there have a pet system that goes off of points,  so you can have up to eleven pet points,  with different pets costing different amounts.  It sounds interesting.  Twenty gig download,  though.

Tanglefoe

• Lieutenant
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2013, 04:39:28 AM »
Today at work I came up with the most awesome name for a toon that it lit up my face and made me laugh out loud. I pulled out my phone to save the name on a notepad app when I realized...you know the rest, and of course I didn't type the name so I can't remember it.  Maybe if I remember it I'll start a topic called "Cool names you didn't get to use" or something like that. 

Nightmarer

• Boss
  • We all float down here
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2013, 04:56:30 AM »
I'm a mastermind at heart and I CONSTANTLY miss that feel,  as it were.  Its just weird to have a different craving that is CoH centric,  then realize it ain't happening for a while,  at least.

Side note,  about to try Age of Conan.  Necromancers there have a pet system that goes off of points,  so you can have up to eleven pet points,  with different pets costing different amounts.  It sounds interesting.  Twenty gig download,  though.

Necros are (or at least used to be) quite overpowered and they were fun to watch with such a parade of pets following them around. The other char in AoE with pet is the Demonologist, but Demos just have 1 pet at a time with them and it's for buffing rather than attacking.

Thunder Glove

• Elite Boss
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2013, 05:14:29 AM »
I had a very odd moment today.  I was thinking about City of Heroes and how sad I still am that it's closed, and how much I'd love to do a BAF right now, and smack-dab in the middle of that train of thought... "hey, I should just log in right now and run one... wait.  Dammit!"

In other words, I literally forgot the game was down while thinking about the game being down.

antarcticaa

• Lieutenant
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2013, 05:30:04 AM »
I even dreamed about doing a BAF last night.  Now that is sad.  Can't generate the interest to try out other games, sigh.  Miss this one too much.

Palladiamors

• Minion
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2013, 06:34:48 AM »
Today at work I came up with the most awesome name for a toon that it lit up my face and made me laugh out loud. I pulled out my phone to save the name on a notepad app when I realized...you know the rest, and of course I didn't type the name so I can't remember it.  Maybe if I remember it I'll start a topic called "Cool names you didn't get to use" or something like that.

Thats a really good idea.

Necros are (or at least used to be) quite overpowered and they were fun to watch with such a parade of pets following them around. The other char in AoE with pet is the Demonologist, but Demos just have 1 pet at a time with them and it's for buffing rather than attacking.

Yeah,  I am excited to try.  I'm not much for undead,  but if it means I can capture even a part of that feel again then that's something.  Just enough to get me by until CoH comes back,  or something similar is done by one of the other groups.

corvus1970

• Elite Boss
  • A true ruler is as moral as a Hurricane.
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2013, 03:31:22 PM »
I really, really miss super-jump :(
... ^o^CORVUS^o^
"...if nothing we do matters, than all that matters is what we do."
http://corvus1970.deviantart.com/