Author Topic: Demo playback sound?  (Read 47275 times)

therain93

• Elite Boss
Re: Demo playback sound?
« Reply #40 on: December 31, 2012, 02:08:55 PM »
*grins*

From the live server - 2,785 demofiles totalling 3.22GB (non-compressed)
From beta - 126 demofiles totalling 111MB (non-compressed) (I routinely move demofiles from beta to live as issues get released)

*sighs*

Never mind the 10GB worth of demofiles I lost when my old storage hard drive crashed...

Michelle
aka
Samuraiko/Dark_Respite
It would be wonderful to torrent those ( ' :
@Texarkana - March 5, 2004 - December 1, 2012 -- Imageshack |-| Youtube
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You don't know what it's like.... |-| Book One. Chapter one...

wei yau

• Boss
« Reply #41 on: December 31, 2012, 02:12:15 PM »
OMG!  You guys!

Thanks to Leandro's script, not only was I able to convert all my .costumes in one fell swoop.

But, I was able to extract characters from demos I ran from two large events.  The first being a massive gathering at AP, in which tentacles were fought.  The other being The Immortal Game event on the Beta server.

First, I was able to find a lot of Praetorian NPC names, which I'll post once I've cleaned them up.  Second, I might be able to find the model names for the Beast Mastery pets.  And finally, I can post a list of all available characters I do have, in case some people need them.

Thanks Leandro!

Cryfire

• Lieutenant
« Reply #42 on: December 31, 2012, 02:46:32 PM »
If you already used one of my scripts before, you should have Perl installed. If not, get it from http://www.activestate.com/activeperl/downloads

For the following scripts, right-click the link and select Save As to put them in the appropriate folder, then double click them to run them.

This Perl script reads all the .cohdemo files in the folder where the script is and writes all entities (players and NPCs) it finds to a folder called "Characters", creating it if necessary:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/37952257/cohdemo2char.pl

This Perl script reads all the .costume files in the folder where the script is and writes them in demo format to a folder called "Characters", creating it if necessary:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/37952257/costume2char.pl

This Perl script reads all the Sentinel+ .xml files in the folder where the script is and writes all costumes to a folder called "Characters", creating it if necessary:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/37952257/sentinel2char.pl

This script reads all the .char files in the $charfolder and uses the COH client to generate JPEG previews of each character, dumping them in $jpegfolder, creating the latter if necessary:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/37952257/char2jpg.pl

WARNING ON THAT LAST SCRIPT: you need to change the three paths near the beginning to match the folders in your own computer where you have the .char files, where you want the .jpg files to be dumped, and where your City of Heroes client resides. If you don't set those full paths correctly, it won't work.

$charfolder = 'D:\City of Heroes\JPEG Maker\Characters';
$jpegfolder = 'D:\City of Heroes\JPEG Maker\JPEG';
$cohfolder = 'D:\City of Heroes\CohBeta';

You have to open the script in Notepad (open Notepad, drag the scripts inside) and change just the paths part of those lines. Leave the single quotes around them. No trailing slash. If, for example, you have City of Heroes installed in the default path, you would change the last line to:

$cohfolder = 'C:\Program Files (x86)\NCsoft\City of Heroes';

Had no trouble with the first 3, the 4th just won't work for me.

$charfolder = 'C:\Program Files (x86)\City of Heroes\JPEG Maker\Characters';
$jpegfolder = 'C:\Program Files (x86)\City of Heroes\JPEG Maker\JPEG';
$cohfolder = 'C:\Program Files (x86)\City of Heroes';

I double and triple checked to make sure these were right but it still won't work, does the scrpit have to be in a certain file to work?

Leandro

• Elite Boss
« Reply #43 on: December 31, 2012, 03:25:39 PM »
Had no trouble with the first 3, the 4th just won't work for me.

$charfolder = 'C:\Program Files (x86)\City of Heroes\JPEG Maker\Characters';
$jpegfolder = 'C:\Program Files (x86)\City of Heroes\JPEG Maker\JPEG';
$cohfolder = 'C:\Program Files (x86)\City of Heroes';

I double and triple checked to make sure these were right but it still won't work, does the scrpit have to be in a certain file to work?

Can you copy your City of Heroes folder outside of the Program Files (x86) folder? Just put it on your desktop or documents. I am assuming you never disabled User Account Control in Windows, and it transparently reroutes file calls to a "VirtualStore" folder, so the script *thinks* it's reading files from the Program Files folder, but it really isn't.

#1 source of headaches for programs putting data under Program Files since Windows Vista.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 05:09:43 AM by Leandro »

The Fifth Horseman

• Elite Boss
  • Outside known realities.
« Reply #44 on: December 31, 2012, 05:10:47 PM »
In a few days, you'll have somewhere to
But, I was able to extract characters from demos I ran from two large events.  The first being a massive gathering at AP, in which tentacles were fought.  The other being The Immortal Game event on the Beta server.
You demorecoded TIG? Mind sending me a copy?
Over 5 Gigs of uncompressed demos here, and I'll put them up somewhere eventually for your viewing/harvesting enjoyment.
In a couple days, there will be somewhere to put them up. :)
We were heroes. We were villains. At the end of the world we all fought as one. It's what we did that defines us.
The end occurred pretty much as we predicted: all servers redlining until midnight... and then no servers to go around.

Somewhere beyond time and space, if you look hard you might find a flash of silver trailing crimson: a lone lost Spartan on his way home.

brucetromp

• Underling
« Reply #45 on: December 31, 2012, 07:26:29 PM »
Just wanted to the thank you all for the really informative and useful posts!  They've helped me quickly get up to speed with demorecord.  I didn't want to be a lurker so thought I'd just say hello.  I have over 100 hours of video I took with FRAPS but for some strange reason never looked at demorecord.  It's really stupid oversights like this that continue to keep me humble.  I feel like quite the idiot.  Anyway, thanks to the help you've all provided I have a new toy to play with and some excellent inpirational videos out there.  I really appreicate those folks who are sharing their cohdemo files.  I'm thinking my first project would be a simple fly around of Atlas populated with lots of cool heroes (with sound thanks to Codewalker!).  I feel a bit better knowing that I'm not the only one who hasn't gotten over this.  Thanks again all!

Arachnion

• Elite Boss
  • Professional Cynic
« Reply #46 on: December 31, 2012, 07:50:33 PM »
You demorecoded TIG? Mind sending me a copy?

I'd like an Immortal Game copy too, thank you in advance, Hotaru.

I wasn't able to attend :(
I'm all dressed up with nowhere to go
Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder

Waiting for an invitation to arrive
Goin' to a party where no one's still alive

Hotaru

• Lieutenant
  • Just a demo-loving fool in the Far East...
« Reply #47 on: January 01, 2013, 01:35:30 AM »
Quoting seems to be acting oddly. I believe it was wei yau that posted about having recorded The Immortal Game. If I had it, I'd share. Put me on the list, please, wei yau.

ThorsAssassin

• Boss
« Reply #48 on: January 01, 2013, 11:24:46 AM »
Put me down as a +1 for the TIG demo, would love to have a copy as I missed the event as well.

Globetrotter

• Boss
  • I am a still Hero and This is what I do!
« Reply #49 on: January 01, 2013, 01:48:58 PM »
Missed TIG too. I would be down for a copy if possible.
Gutta cavat lapidem, non vi, sed saepe cadendo.

Floride

• Elite Boss
  • Badgehunter Extraordinaire
« Reply #50 on: January 09, 2013, 09:27:21 AM »
About 2 weeks back, Floride mentioned here http://www.cohtitan.com/forum/index.php/topic,7275.0.html that it might've been turned off by the devs to stop annoying sound bugs during loading screens.

Thanks again for another awesome contribution!
I don't have the programming experience of a lot of people here, but I observe stuff like a professional stuff observer. I'm just glad the loading screen bug was overcomeable.
Now that I've patched the game I think th--- HOLEECARP! I HAVE SOUND IN MY DEMOS NOW!!!!!!! MUUAHAHAHAA!!!

Thank you soooooooo much Codewalker, you have improved my life!
History shows again and again
How nature points out the folly of men

SuburbanHell

• Lieutenant
« Reply #51 on: January 17, 2013, 12:26:08 PM »
http://www.speedyshare.com/8UFa2/Demos.rar

527 MB unpacked, 144 demorecords.

These are not mine, I simply have them from an archive someone posted on the old official forums before they went down.

I've posted this link to the forum before, but I'm reposting it now due to the fixed sound :)

Looks like you need a premium account to get this now....does anyone have it that can post it to a free location?

Arachnion

• Elite Boss
  • Professional Cynic
« Reply #52 on: January 17, 2013, 07:51:39 PM »
Looks like you need a premium account to get this now....does anyone have it that can post it to a free location?

I'll upload it to my personal SugarSync account, that'll let you download it for free.

https://www.sugarsync.com/pf/D0133125_936_04626173

Enjoy :)
« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 07:56:52 PM by Arachnion »
I'm all dressed up with nowhere to go
Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder

Waiting for an invitation to arrive
Goin' to a party where no one's still alive

Torroes.Prime

• Lieutenant
« Reply #53 on: January 18, 2013, 06:02:10 PM »
It would be wonderful to torrent those ( ' :

Actually why don't we? I've got a computer that's online 24/7 anyway right now. I'm still torrenting the MOV library that Leandro made. Sam, Hotaru, if you guys wants to set up your demo collections in drop box or something so I can grab 'em, I'll compile them all into one massive library and start torrenting them.
Strength and intelligence make no requirement of one another. Power demands both.

Todogut

• Boss
    • Todogut on deviantART
« Reply #54 on: September 27, 2014, 05:55:59 PM »
Recently, I tried to follow the instructions by Codewalker on how to edit Cityofheroes.exe for making sound work when replaying demorecordings. However, the links in NeoRavencroft's post for his patchers (for I23 and I24 beta) did not work for me... I got error messages indicating the page did not exist. (Are these links no longer valid?)

So, I tried to follow Codewalker's instructions for manual editing. I downloaded HxD software from CNet, installed it, and used it to open I23 Cityofheroes.exe (after creating a copy of the file). I searched the file but did not find offset 0043A43A. I also searched for but did not find the following sequence of bytes: E8 D1 15 05 00 E8 9C 0D 05 00.

Similarly, when I opened I24 beta Cityofheroes.exe and searched for offset 0043788A and bytes sequence E8 F1 18 05 00 E8 BC 10 05 00, I did not find them.

I'm stumped.

Here is info about the versions of Cityofheroes.exe on my PC:

I23
Date modified: 7/31/2012 7:18 PM
Size: 8,840 KB

I24 beta
Date modified: 12/29/2012 7:11 PM
Size: 8,848 KB

Do I have different versions from the ones that Codewalker referenced? Any ideas on what I can do to make the sound work when playing demo recordings?

JadeFalcon

• Minion
« Reply #55 on: September 28, 2014, 11:48:07 PM »
The only thing I can think of that may help is to remove the spaces between the bytes when searching for the sequence. There aren't really any spaces between bytes, it just appears that way since each byte is displayed in a separate column.

Todogut

• Boss
    • Todogut on deviantART
« Reply #56 on: October 06, 2014, 08:36:43 PM »
The only thing I can think of that may help is to remove the spaces between the bytes when searching for the sequence. There aren't really any spaces between bytes, it just appears that way since each byte is displayed in a separate column.

Thanks for the suggestion. But, I don't think removing spaces between bytes is the solution. The offset values don't have any spaces, and they don't give a match when searching, either.

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #57 on: October 06, 2014, 09:31:10 PM »
You shouldn't be searching for the offset in the file. You simply go there. If you're using HxD, it's Goto under the search menu, then you enter the offset in hex.

Todogut

• Boss
    • Todogut on deviantART
« Reply #58 on: October 07, 2014, 04:40:18 AM »
... it's Goto under the search menu, then you enter the offset in hex.

Ah, thanks. Now it seems clear: the cause of my problem is, I don't know what I'm doing.

I found the Search>Goto... menu and copy/pasted the offset value for issue 24 while the hex option was active. I clicked the OK button, and the screen advanced to the position shown in the image below.

The cursor was at the 0A column, to the left of 83.

But, I didn't see the E8 F1 18 05 00 E8 BC 10 05 00 bytes sequence. So, I didn't know what to do next.

Can I get some more help, please? How do I find the bytes sequence and change it?

Todo

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #59 on: October 07, 2014, 05:22:20 AM »
The reason you're not seeing it is that that exe has already been patched. Look at the 0A column on the first line and you'll see the "change it to" sequence from the original post for I24:

83 05 30 13 67 01 01 90 90 90

So... it should be working. Are you using the patched executable to try to play back demos?