Author Topic: I need... SOMETHING.  (Read 12680 times)

Blue Pulsar

• Boss
  • Epic Mediocrity
I need... SOMETHING.
« on: December 27, 2012, 07:52:58 PM »
My boss gave me the day off due to slow business. Normally I'd be playing CoV for hours today but...

I need something. I've tried a few other games and none of them are even close to CoV. I don't really need the lore and genre is becoming less and less relevant for me. Until we get our game back (in whatever form we get it back) I need something to pass the time. An MMO with even marginally similar playstyles as CoX. I just need something similar. I know nothing will ever be like CoV was for me, but at this point I'm really chomping at the bit for anything.

Any recommendations?
« Last Edit: December 27, 2012, 09:45:11 PM by Blondeshell »
Blue Pulsar - 50 nrg/kin def - first toon - Liberty
Bane of Lanur - 52 nec/dark MM - Main vill - Liberty
Destan H. - 53 SS/FA brute - Farm/PvP hybrid - Freedom
Destan's Fury - 53 StJ/Regen brute - PvPer - Freedom
Destan's Shadow Gang - 53 Thug/Dark MM - PvPer - Freedom

Blue Pulsar

• Boss
  • Epic Mediocrity
Re: I need... SOMTHING.
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2012, 07:54:54 PM »
How embarrassing. I just noticed my glaring spelling mistake in the title... >_<

I'm just that stressed.

NecrotechMaster

• Elite Boss
  • is there a badge for that?
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2012, 08:08:13 PM »
steam certainly has a lot of options due to their winter sales going on

mmo wise, i am unsure since i have not played many other mmos due to not liking them

Blue Pulsar

• Boss
  • Epic Mediocrity
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2012, 08:19:07 PM »
Is that the proper title? Got a link for it?

Omega Mark V

• Boss
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2012, 08:28:11 PM »
As of now, my friends and I are enjoying Planetside 2 thoroughly. MMO wise, GW2 is pestering me to 'try playing me again.' Even though in beta I grew bored of it after making a new character. Same stuff, different class, basically. Not to mention I'm still boycotting NCSucks.

MMO wise, I'm waiting for The Elder Scrolls Online. I know how you feel, wanting something to dig time into. I'm in the same spot. :/
- Omega Mk. V

Iron-Emerald

• Minion
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2012, 08:40:39 PM »
I've been playing Lord of the Rings Online and found it pretty easy to get into. The default controls and such are similar enough to city that I find it pretty easy to get used to. Plus it's free and I get to wander around Middle Earth. :)

OzonePrime

• Elite Boss
  • Never Give Up! Never Surrender!
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2012, 09:22:48 PM »
Am still looking, also. So far, nothing comes close. And, btw the "new and improved" WOW is still just as annoying, but with better graphics.

Little Green Frog

• Boss
  • @Little Green Frog
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2012, 09:45:09 PM »
I am fond of The Secret World. The whole "secret" thing, especially the societies, is actually quite redundant, but if you learn to look past it, the rest of the story is well written and quite interesting. One thing I do not know how to feel about is the fact that sometimes the game feels like a single player game with chat interface slapped on it. But it's fun both while solo and on team.

Oh, and it is also about having super powers.

Blue Pulsar

• Boss
  • Epic Mediocrity
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2012, 10:25:38 PM »
I am fond of The Secret World. The whole "secret" thing, especially the societies, is actually quite redundant, but if you learn to look past it, the rest of the story is well written and quite interesting. One thing I do not know how to feel about is the fact that sometimes the game feels like a single player game with chat interface slapped on it. But it's fun both while solo and on team.

Oh, and it is also about having super powers.

Okay, I saw this trailer and that pretty much made my mind up. (Blizzard keeps putting up WoW trailers in front of other MMO vids on YouTube, so if you see that, it's not what I'm talking about.)

Thanks Froggy.

Quinch

Re: I need... SOMETHING.
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2012, 02:05:26 AM »
I was really interested in Secret World - the whole premise was really intriguing.

Then I saw the Mark of the Beast on the trailers and that was the end of that.

Septipheran

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2012, 02:31:51 AM »
I've been giving SWTOR another try the last few days. I like it more, the more I play it. There's also Champions of course.

Xieveral

• Chaotic Neutral
  • Boss
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2012, 02:50:32 AM »
I'm at a loss when it comes to other MMOs to play.

Around this time of year, playing old games makes me feel warm and fuzzy. Or maybe pick up a new game to give a try? Dragon's Dogma 2 is pretty fun and I think its going for a cheap price right now.
?RSN = CKN(CRS.ROD)

RSN = GLR(EMP.MCL)

LT. Couper

• Boss
  • The battle won't end until it's won!
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2012, 05:20:38 AM »
Anyone else see the new WoW trailer and think "They totally just copied Kung-Fu Panda!" Thats what I initially thought the trailer was for, in fact.
"Heroes may die, but heroism never shall." ~Cyrus "Breakneck" Thompson

Risha

• Boss
  • Dancing at the end of the World
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2012, 06:04:45 AM »
I'm finally fumbling around in The Secret World, good story lines...and for a more in depth look at alternatives, there are several threads on the forums under Other Games, discussing this very question. :)  That said, I died so much yesterday (a day of immersion) and am so fricking tired of zombies that tonight I've spent the night trying to find old screenshots (before they labeled them as screenshots and put them in a file)...sadly my old desktop lost an entire drive in 2010 so I think my early shots (2006 on) and all the shots of the old base are gone.

Robin
Writer of Fantasy and Fantasy Romance

Atlantea

• Elite Boss
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2012, 07:38:36 AM »
I need something. I've tried a few other games and none of them are even close to CoV. I don't really need the lore and genre is becoming less and less relevant for me. Until we get our game back (in whatever form we get it back) I need something to pass the time. An MMO with even marginally similar playstyles as CoX. I just need something similar. I know nothing will ever be like CoV was for me, but at this point I'm really chomping at the bit for anything.

Any recommendations?

Can you tell us what you did try? That'd help narrow it down some.

Not knowing that - I'll cover some bases that I know.

I know you said genre doesn't matter, but let's start close to home, as it were.

Champions Online and DC Universe Online.

If you can look past the fact that neither game is COH/COV and accept them for what they are, you might find something to love in either of them.

As far as "look and feel" and gameplay style, neither one is going to be quite the same. They were both intended to appeal more to the "twitch" gamer than COH ever was. DCUO especially so.

If you're interested in playing villains, then DCUO is the one you'll have to try. CO has no villain option (except at a remove - you get to create a nemesis for each character at lvl 25.)

There's a lot more info on Champions in the "Other games" section of the forums here. But I want to make note of the fact that of the two - CO plays more like COH. And can be MADE to play even MORE like COH if you know how to tweak the UI and settings. (I can point you to those threads if you like. Or I can explain in more detail if you want to PM me.)

DCUO is like NO other MMO I've ever played. Put aside ALL preconceptions about how an MMO should play. Treat it like a 3rd person SHOOTER game like Mass Effect. Again - there's threads pointing out the differences and how they work in the other games forums. Same as above.

If you feel like another genre to get AWAY from superheroes - and some people do, because they're hurting when they think about it - there's a LOT of options for fantasy games naturally. Not so much Sci-Fi. But there are some notables.

SWTOR has been mentioned. I have no clue about that one, but if you liked Bioware's Knights of the Old Republic games, it's based in that section of Star Wars historical timeline (give or take a few decades). It's on my list to try out and it's F2P.

Star Trek Online is also F2P and - aside from Perfect World's annoying tendency to keep banging you over the head with lock-boxes trying to entice you to gamble for stuff (which is also afflicting Champions and even SOE is doing some of that with DCUO) - it's actually a VERY nice game and there's hardly any barrier to playing as a Free player. Champions is pretty locked down in that regard with a LOT of things behind pay walls. But almost none of the basic stuff in STO is, particularly in regard to PVE. The universe started out big and has gotten HUGE. And they have "The Foundry" which is the equivelant to COH's AE. And a lot of people have written some AWESOME stuff there. And the Devs highlight a new "devs choice" from the foundry every so often. (Seems like once a week.)

I'm about to try The Secret World myself actually, but I know nothing yet, but it LOOKS very nice.

There's always World of Warcraft, of course. I used to play that a lot. But I haven't touched it in over a year. But Mists of Panderia is actually winning a lot of new people and bringing older players back in some cases, or so I hear.

Dungeons and Dragons Online is an older game. F2P of course. VERY pretty. They've upgraded the graphics several times since it was released. It's not real friendly as a solo game though.

RIFT has an interesting premise for a Fantasy World. I played it for a while. Enjoyed it. But it didn't really grab me to make me stay. But it's very VERY pretty.

Anyway. That's some thoughts off the the top of my head.

NecrotechMaster

• Elite Boss
  • is there a badge for that?
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2012, 08:22:49 AM »
theres only been i think 3 mmos ive tried other than coh, ever lol

asda story/asda story 2: totally awful game, massive grindfest, and from what i read the second game was 99% identical to the first game, but with a completely different skill system, which alienated the playerbase and now the servers are basically deserted (havent played this in like 2+ years, but the grind was terrible, from what i read, at lvl 59 1.5 million xp was 0.01% of the progress to next level)

runes of magic: decent f2p option, although too much grinding and slow paced for me, its most interesting point IMO is a dual-class system where you character has a primary and a secondary class, the only annoying thing about it was you had to level up each class seperately to get the skills (only primary class gained xp, so you would have to level to 50, twice, on the same character with each class)

fallen earth: good f2p post apocalyptic setting, although kinda grindy later in the game and the game in general is just very slow paced, decent game, but gets VERY boring very quickly unless you play it for short periods of time

Rain Maker

• Minion
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2012, 02:10:58 PM »
I've been playing Lord of the Rings Online and found it pretty easy to get into. The default controls and such are similar enough to city that I find it pretty easy to get used to. Plus it's free and I get to wander around Middle Earth. :)

I'd also recommend Lord of the Rings Online, especially if you're even slightly interested in the books.

Knightslayer

• Elite Boss
    • Monster Game!
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2012, 02:43:56 PM »
SWTOR has been mentioned. I have no clue about that one, but if you liked Bioware's Knights of the Old Republic games, it's based in that section of Star Wars historical timeline (give or take a few decades). It's on my list to try out and it's F2P.

About 30 years later IIRC, and it takes you back to some familiar locations if you're a KOTOR fan - Taris for one, in addition to some cameos/references to characters from that age (game).
The Secret World also seems pretty solid, especially now that they've got B2P - and out of both "F2P" games, seems to have the best system (SWTOR's restrictions are pretty severe if you don't sub, then again, maybe that only applies if you're a returning player and used to certain things... kinda like playing CoV with all vet rewards stripped away and no VIP status).

DJMoose

• Missing His Jeep
  • Boss
  • To believe in the heroic makes heroes.
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2012, 04:15:26 PM »
DCUO is alright.  It will not be CoX obviously, but what you get out of the box for a F2P game is pretty good.  The character creation is decent and the combat is very intuitive.
CO on the other hand....ick.  Terribly stereotypical MMO with a lot of microtransactions.  The character creation was completely gimped by the "pay to win" mantra.
SWTOR is good, and has the amazing storytelling power of Bioware.  But it does suffer from "WoW-cloneism."
Serkana The Wise
Primal Praetorian

Hyperstrike

• Elite Boss
  • SaveCoH!
    • So Super It Hurts
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2012, 04:31:07 PM »
Honestly, CO, I'm REALLY not crazy about the art style.  The gameplay's a bit repetitive.  But not really any more than CoH was.  Yeah.  It does play different than CoH.

And yes, I'm most definitely biased by the fact that I have a lifetime sub and don't have to spend a dime.
Even so, the ATs aren't really that horribly limiting.  But yes, Freeform is ridiculously more powerful.

But the costume creator has lots and LOTS of options.

The DCUO CC is just horrible though.  Part of the problem is its limited because of the console port.
The female models look okay.  But the male models come in 3 varieties.  Ugly.  Butt ugly.  And OMGWTF?
And while the three color costume option is nice, the actual costume options themselves are terribly limited and not very good.

But the main downfall of the game is the console-centric control system.  I guess it'd be "okay" if I was willing to play with a controller.  But I'm not.  I haven't touched a controller since my original Sega system.  I simply don't have the manual dexterity for them.  But on a keyboard and mouse, the game is horrific.