Author Topic: First Surprises in COH  (Read 36403 times)

McNum

• Underling
Re: First Surprises in COH
« Reply #100 on: February 12, 2013, 06:42:03 PM »
The first major surprise I can remember was when my first character reached level 29 and I was doing a Lost mission. The boss was level 30. Never seen a Rikti before. I remember my line of thought as "Is that a RIKTI?! What is THAT doing here? It's a Lost mission!"

Then I played the arc where you get Omega Clearance and all made sense again. I do like how that was kept semi-secret by the community early on. Having that particular information made easily available through the RWZ kind of ruined the mystique.

Thunder Glove

• Elite Boss
« Reply #101 on: February 12, 2013, 07:46:14 PM »
It wasn't a major surprise, but I was extremely pleased to be able to start interacting with the upper echelon of Arachnos and the Freedom Phalanx as early as my 20s.  I'd thought I wouldn't see any of them at all until the endgame, and there they were, handing out Task/Strike Force as early as Steel Canyon and Sharkhead.

I really felt like my character had started to "make it" then.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #102 on: February 12, 2013, 08:40:28 PM »
The first major surprise I can remember was when my first character reached level 29 and I was doing a Lost mission. The boss was level 30. Never seen a Rikti before. I remember my line of thought as "Is that a RIKTI?! What is THAT doing here? It's a Lost mission!"

Had you not done the Midnighter arc in the low teens? That pretty much spoiled the whole "Rikti are really human" twist, for me. Granted, it was because one of my group-mates explained it after the mission, but most of the rest of the group had played the game since beta, and I came in at Issue 11 or 12.
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

LadyShin

• Elite Boss
« Reply #103 on: February 12, 2013, 09:46:48 PM »
Had you not done the Midnighter arc in the low teens? That pretty much spoiled the whole "Rikti are really human" twist, for me. Granted, it was because one of my group-mates explained it after the mission, but most of the rest of the group had played the game since beta, and I came in at Issue 11 or 12.

:o

what?

There's no way I'll believe that these Rikti are human!  :gonk:
"Frank! It's the love boat to Cuba! Shuffle board and pineapples filled with rum. Know what they do? They put little paper umbrellas sticking out the top so that when it rains, it don't thin out the liquor."

Megajoule

• Lieutenant
« Reply #104 on: February 12, 2013, 09:53:10 PM »
It was a lot more obvious back in the day when the common Rikti footsoldiers were naked (and you could see/guess pretty easily that was what the Lost, especially the bosses, were evolving into).

srmalloy

• Elite Boss
« Reply #105 on: February 12, 2013, 10:28:53 PM »

McNum

• Underling
« Reply #106 on: February 14, 2013, 12:39:14 PM »
Midnighters? This was Issue 1. No Midnighters, no Rikti War zone, no invasions. Only those with Omega Clearance and those without. And those with Omega Clearance made it a little game to keep that particular spoiler secret even on the official boards. The Rikti being humans from another dimensions used to be THE spoiler of the game.

So, no, I hadn't done the Midnighter arc. And I was looking forward to getting to try the all new respec trial coming really soon.

The Midnighter arc really should have been 30+. It's a shame that spoiler became common knowledge like that. It was fun while it lasted. The game lost a little mystique when the mystics were added.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #107 on: February 15, 2013, 03:07:12 AM »
Something those of us who weren't in on the ground floor missed out on. :)
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Risha

• Boss
  • Dancing at the end of the World
« Reply #108 on: February 16, 2013, 04:36:50 AM »
Hmmm.  I came in long before the Midnighter arc, too.  (Though I always played through that one...I knew that darn cavern, very, very well...keep LEFT), but I was after the RWZ, so I fell in between and found out during one of the first mishes in RWZ.  I soloed a lot.
Writer of Fantasy and Fantasy Romance

DarkCurrent

• Boss
« Reply #109 on: February 18, 2013, 04:25:01 AM »
Being tp griefed into a mob by a pug leader before confirmation was added.

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #110 on: February 18, 2013, 05:20:52 AM »
Being tp griefed into a mob by a pug leader before confirmation was added.
Being tp griefed off the edge of a very tall building by one of my best friends >:( >:( before confirmation was added.

TP griefing her back a few days later - into a wandering GM! - probably gave her an awesome surprise!
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

ukaserex

• Elite Boss
« Reply #111 on: February 21, 2013, 02:41:26 AM »
My biggest/first surprise was that CoH was an MMO. It said it on the box, but I could never find on the box what MMO meant. I had no idea I'd see other players operated by real life people.

My second biggest surprise was that the list of acceptable enhancements a power could accept ... I thought you had to put one of each type in the slot - and I would add slots until I could fit one of each. Then, on my snipe for my electric blaster, I noticed there were 7 categories, but I only had 6 slots! I thought I broke the game or something! I finally found some guy I'd just teamed with and asked him how I could add the seventh slot and he gently laughed at me and told me to respec, and use 2 accs and 4 damages in each of my blasts. Made quite a difference, lol.
Those who have no idea what they are doing genuinely have no idea that they don't know what they're doing. - John Cleese

Quanta

• Underling
« Reply #112 on: February 28, 2013, 04:25:17 AM »
Exiting a mission into my first Rikti invasion.  "Well that was fun...  Does the sky look different to you?...  What's tha...GAHHH!!! Hit it!  No Run!!  Run!!!"   :o

And seeing radioactive eyebeams for the first time!  "SWEET!!  Dream = Reality!"

General Idiot

• Elite Boss
« Reply #113 on: February 28, 2013, 02:13:31 PM »
I still remember the first year we had the zombie invasions at Halloween, they weren't supposed to go live until later that night but Posi decided to flip the switch during some thing at Herocon. (This was back when they still had those.) And suddenly the chat window lit up as every city zone in the game got a zombie invasion at the exact same time to hilarious reaction over global channels. I was on a respec trial at the time just coming out of the first mission and about to head for the reactor when suddenly we were neck deep in zombies. It was the only time I can remember that a respec team paused to fight an invasion.

Servantes

• Minion
« Reply #114 on: February 28, 2013, 03:04:55 PM »
My first surprise was when I loged into Galaxy City for the first time and found 2 large grey pillars and read a plaque, seeing it say Galaxy Girl I looked up, needless to say I felt embarrassed.

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #115 on: February 28, 2013, 04:47:52 PM »
My biggest/first surprise was that CoH was an MMO. It said it on the box, but I could never find on the box what MMO meant. I had no idea I'd see other players operated by real life people.

Oh yeah, I had a friend who also bought it the  game in (Dec. 2004) thinking it was a stand alone game. When I told her what MMO was, she kind of made this face like she just sucked on a lemon or something. At first I just kind of shrugged and said ok and left it at that for the moment. and she shelved the game. Months (Sept 2005)  later, I was walking though a wal-mart and seen COH on the shelf and remembered the box from when my friend showed me I picked it up and started playing. Then I started to tell her that the game was actually a cool game and she should get that box, now collecting dust on her shelf with other games she bought and never played, and give it a try. I thought she would enjoy it. Oct 26th 2005, she finially tried it out. Oct 31 2005 she picked up COV too and that is when I also  installed COV to my computer. Man, we had good times together with a few others that joined us on a regular basis, althoug hshe kicked my butt in PvP everytime. Still to this day, we still get together and talk about those times we had there although she said she probably will never ever try another MMO again as she found she just didnt enjoy playing with people much. That I can relate to. Sometimes dealing with other people is a hassle, to me just a minor hassle to play a good game. To her, a major hassle but she said COX was worth it and she havent come across any other game where that hassle is worth it to her. Told her crazy butt to stay away from the forum but I guess, it was her attempt to try to understand people and be more social.Talk about uber fail. Now it seems that she hates people in games and it seemed to have carried over to real life a bit. She just dont understand that although people tend to act like idiots and seem to decrease their IQ by half when they get annon. and hide behind a screen, people are in general good and rational/ To her mind, people online was people in real life and thus that is how people are. She was always a bit distant, now it seems at times she is straight sadistic towards people she dont know. I kind of feel bad because I feel as if I had a hand in creating that feeling in her. One of the greatest red flags I noticed in the change was her attitude towards charity. Originally she just politely declined or gave money, which she have plenty of anyways. But then one day this charity group was collecting money for cancer children who's families had no money for treatment. This wasnt the first time and in the past, she used to either gave a decent portion of change, or pocket change for her, to them. Near the end of 2012, she said something I would never forget. She asked, "These kids have cancer that is terminal?" The charity person replied "Yes but we are also collecting for children with treatable cancer." She replied, "Well, I hope they die because we dont need anymore humans on this rock. We have enough idiots already. Why would I give a single penny to save their lives when all they going to do is grow up, become a basement dweller and torment people on the internet? The world would be better off with out them." I didnt know what to say. Kind of caught me off guard. This coming from the same person that helped me through my toughest times in life, the same person that trained me to be the expert in my job field, the same person that bailed me out of alot of stupid stuff, and the same person that introduced me to investing wisely.

Oh god went a bit off on a tangent but that reminded me of that person so much when I explained what MMO meant to her and convinced her to give the online game a try.

Funny thing is that I see here from time to time in CO but she keeps to herself and hell, she refuses to speak to me at all in game. Last time I tried she didnt even bother to reply but instead called my phone to talk, ending with she is enjoying the game but have no wish to interact with anyone even if Jesus himself sent her a team invite she will swiftly put him on the ignore list.I couldnt help but ask why continue to play an mmo, you changed for the worse, you dont like people anymore, so why put ya self in that situation. She simply said that it's for the same reason she wont kill herself in the real world. She like the world like her life but that doesnt mean she have to interact with anyone and no one, not even humans will stop her from enjoying her life or game for that matter. She will put the entire population of CO on ignore if need be if that means enjoying the game in peace. "Dont speak to me in game ever again. If you value our friendship, speak to me directly not through some game."

I guess the meaning of MMO left a mark on all of us for better or worse.

srmalloy

• Elite Boss
« Reply #116 on: February 28, 2013, 06:50:54 PM »
My first surprise was when I loged into Galaxy City for the first time and found 2 large grey pillars and read a plaque, seeing it say Galaxy Girl I looked up, needless to say I felt embarrassed.

So the first thing you did in Galaxy City was try to look up Galaxy Girl's skirt? Pervert.   ;D

MindBlender

• Boss
  • My Main was a healer, wish he was here now.
« Reply #117 on: February 28, 2013, 07:36:36 PM »
I remember early on that ambushes were not zone specific.  Fun times as a level 5 in KR to see level 50 Malta running at you  :o
All my computer skill was used up on my Commodore 64 decades ago...

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #118 on: February 28, 2013, 08:14:21 PM »
I remember early on that ambushes were not zone specific.  Fun times as a level 5 in KR to see level 50 Malta running at you  :o
that happened to me a few times. The first time I was like "What the flying pancake!" The second time I was like "Dang, not again." "third time it was like "Geesh, wish people would clean up their ambushes." 4th time, "Welcome to COH!"

Minotaur

• Elite Boss
« Reply #119 on: February 28, 2013, 09:40:48 PM »

I normally got taken out by the devouring earth in Steel left behind from the "run around the zones delivering the vaccine" missions.