Author Topic: NCSoft raided Paragon Studios to fund a new corporate HQ?  (Read 8710 times)

Xieveral

• Chaotic Neutral
  • Boss
Re: NCSoft raided Paragon Studios to fund a new corporate HQ?
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2013, 12:44:57 PM »
Yes! Construction of an office building is clearly a sign of great evil! Finally, we're on to them!

It must be in an undersea volcano!
?RSN = CKN(CRS.ROD)

RSN = GLR(EMP.MCL)

Triplash

• Elite Boss
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2013, 12:45:40 PM »
You're expecting them to play a clean game???

If history is any indicator, I'd expect them to build up a comfortable four point lead, then forfeit the game.

houtex

• Elite Boss
  • I was the turkey all along! MEE!
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2013, 03:04:01 PM »
Makes me wonder if they don't plan to turn this into their game-churning cube-farm.  That way they have all their slave employees under one roof and under the direct eye of the bosses, rather than dealing with several studios separated geographically.  Kind of like a small-scale version of the Microsoft Campus.

Ah.  That is the most sense of this whole debacle of NCSoft/CoH/Paragon Studios I've ever seen.  That is probably the idea, sad to say.

Passion for the product counts for nothing.  Only the numbers in an excel sheet.  Yep.  "Become a slav...er, part of the clan!  Big corporate ideas, for PROFIT!" - Announcer guy.

Blitzwing

• Lieutenant
  • Boot to the Head!
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2013, 04:15:15 PM »
You're expecting them to play a clean game???

Need I remind anyone of the Star Trek: Deep Space Nine episode, 'Take me out to the Holosuite.'?  ;)

This could be one of those 'so wacky, it just might WORK' ideas...and at this point, I don't want to take ANYthing off the table....   8)

golemjoe

• Minion
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2013, 06:40:24 PM »

Clearly they got tired of moving the Island periodically.

Electric-Knight

• Elite Boss
  • E-K and Malfaz taking a break, drinking tea
    • www.pauldamonthomas.com
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2013, 06:46:43 PM »
If it was us against NCsoft employees, I'd say that'd be a fair match. Against their pro-league team? Uhh... who's providing the cybernetic enhancements for our players?

On every other day, sure, they'd handily beat our asses...
BUT... NOT THIS DAY!
--
"Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever."
- Baron Munchausen

http://www.pauldamonthomas.com/

mikoroshi

• Boss
  • Author, Owner of Dogs
    • My Twitter
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2013, 06:49:18 PM »
The last image on this page makes me sad.

I have the perfect spot for that in my living room.
If you see me posting here, you need to tell me to stop it and get back to writing.

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2013, 03:53:16 AM »
Yes! Construction of an office building is clearly a sign of great evil! Finally, we're on to them!

*salts the frog*

Just pointing out that if this is the case, you can expect to see more pink slips handed out on this side of the ocean.  Makes me wonder what is in store for ArenaNet.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

Little Green Frog

• Boss
  • @Little Green Frog
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2013, 06:30:47 AM »
*salts the frog*

Ow, ow, ow!

Just pointing out that if this is the case, you can expect to see more pink slips handed out on this side of the ocean.  Makes me wonder what is in store for ArenaNet.

If anything, it shows a good sense of strategic planning on the part of NCsoft's management. An office building right in the middle of a business district in a capital city is a fantastic investment and a good way to diversify your income. If your business is blooming, you can avoid the troublesome fragmentation of your workforce, when certain departments get scattered across multiple office buildings. If things aren't going smoothly and the company shrinks, you can rent all vacated space and still earn a good amount of money.

As for their foreign subsidiaries, I wouldn't expect this to affect them in any way. They won't be relocated to Seoul for the sake of it as it would not solve any real problem. Quite contrary. It would raise costs, complicate acquisition of talent and so on. These subsidiaries are semi-separate entities, operating independently for the most part. Every large corporation has those, including Microsoft, Google and other really big players, and it is natural for them to be spread across the globe.

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2013, 10:12:37 AM »

If anything, it shows a good sense of strategic planning on the part of NCsoft's management. An office building right in the middle of a business district in a capital city is a fantastic investment and a good way to diversify your income. If your business is blooming, you can avoid the troublesome fragmentation of your workforce, when certain departments get scattered across multiple office buildings. If things aren't going smoothly and the company shrinks, you can rent all vacated space and still earn a good amount of money.

That depends entirely on how the local economy is.  I can point to an awful lot of empty office space in certain state capitals and major cities here in the US.  But that is one thing I hadn't considered.

I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2013, 04:32:54 PM »
That depends entirely on how the local economy is.  I can point to an awful lot of empty office space in certain state capitals and major cities here in the US.  But that is one thing I hadn't considered.
It appears that the complex has sold all but three lots of 44.  Of those sold only 3 lots haven't broken ground yet and I would say roughly half of the tenants have completed they buildings already with the rest scheduled to be done this year or 2014.

Found the place on Google Maps (isn't it great Google co-owns a "spy" satellite) and that rendering isn't an exaggeration.  They have a HUGE lot with a lot of it looking like it will be dedicated to green areas when done.  Of course that's the advantage of being the one lot just outside of the four block rest of the complex.  When done it'll probably be quite pretty.

Edit: Over dramatic video advertising Pangyo Techno Valley.  Yes it's in English.

English PDF brochure that includes a map of who's where in the complex.

Edit: Added link to bring up an image of the new building from spaaaaace!
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 08:18:39 PM by FatherXmas »
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

Arachnion

• Elite Boss
  • Professional Cynic
« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2013, 04:36:17 PM »
Found the place on Google Maps (isn't it great Google co-owns a "spy" satellite)

Ah yes, the all knowing eye of Google, ;)
I'm all dressed up with nowhere to go
Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder

Waiting for an invitation to arrive
Goin' to a party where no one's still alive

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2013, 05:37:04 PM »
Ah yes, the all knowing eye of Google, ;)

Did you think I was kidding?

GeoEye & Google

Arachnion

• Elite Boss
  • Professional Cynic
« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2013, 05:43:33 PM »
Did you think I was kidding?

GeoEye & Google

Oh no, of course not.

I meant that reply as somewhat silly.

I for one fear our new Google overlords! :P
I'm all dressed up with nowhere to go
Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder

Waiting for an invitation to arrive
Goin' to a party where no one's still alive

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2013, 08:21:45 PM »
Oh no, of course not.

I meant that reply as somewhat silly.

I for one fear our new Google overlords! :P

I know, I was just yanking your feather lure.  ;D

However it doesn't mean that other people didn't believe.

Madadh

• Minion
« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2013, 07:22:16 AM »
I can think of a good place to relocate that Statesman statue, but it wouldn't get much light up in there. :)

TY, that made me laugh a lot...

Madadh

• Minion
« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2013, 07:27:14 AM »
Oh, gods' teeth Mr XMas, thanks for the huge laugh fest.  I love that skit from Python, and quote it probably more than I should, yet I rarely ever hear anyone else even mention it.  Just to know it's not a personal delusion made me lose it.  TY SO much!

Machine translation error from Korean to Chinese to English.  Korean characters are phonetic while Chinese characters are sometimes symbolic and sometimes multi-phonetic words.  Chinese and Japanese names in Kanji form are somewhat an adventure when it comes to pronouncing them because they are pronounced differently than how the individual Kanji are pronounced.  It's a nightmare.

"No no no, it's spelled, "Raymond Luxury Yacht," but it's pronounced, "Throat Warbler Mangrove." - Monty Python

In this case if the three Chinese characters used for the CEO's name in the story are individually translated (via Google) you get Kim Chak Sun.  Taking into account how you pronounce English spelled Chinese and name order, I can see how they got from Taek jin Kim into what a machine would translate into the name Jinze Chen when taken together.

Edit: Damn ninja frog.

Electric-Knight

• Elite Boss
  • E-K and Malfaz taking a break, drinking tea
    • www.pauldamonthomas.com
« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2013, 06:13:03 PM »
Oh, gods' teeth Mr XMas, thanks for the huge laugh fest.  I love that skit from Python, and quote it probably more than I should, yet I rarely ever hear anyone else even mention it.  Just to know it's not a personal delusion made me lose it.  TY SO much!

It is possible that we're all a part of your personal delusion.
--
"Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever."
- Baron Munchausen

http://www.pauldamonthomas.com/