Author Topic: Pirates of the Burning Sea  (Read 3734 times)

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
Pirates of the Burning Sea
« on: December 19, 2012, 03:55:05 AM »
So SOE is closing their Pirates of the Burning Sea game on January 31st. But within months (they're HOPING for Feb 1, but software stuff has a tendency to get delayed), a few of the development team that were working on it under SOE will relaunch it under their new game studio, Portalus. Game data (except billing/personal data) will be transferable (function to be released soonTM). More information: PortalusGames.com news release

Sometimes I rag on SOE pretty hard, but this is pretty awesome.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
Re: Pirates of the Burning Sea
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2012, 05:03:56 AM »
I'm impressed.  I wonder if the sturm und drang surrounding our demise had anything to do with it's second life.  I would like to think something positive came out of our efforts, even if it wasn't our own home.
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

Electric-Knight

• Elite Boss
  • E-K and Malfaz taking a break, drinking tea
    • www.pauldamonthomas.com
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2012, 05:27:51 AM »
Outstanding.

*removes one of the million skull and crossbones marked next to SOE's name*

That really is great though. :)

I wonder what the financials behind all of that are (the transfer and the cost of running it and how it all got worked out).
--
"Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever."
- Baron Munchausen

http://www.pauldamonthomas.com/

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2012, 06:00:19 AM »
Neat.  I never got very far in that game for reasons I forget, but I liked the ships and the ship combat.
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

Kistulot

• Elite Boss
  • Argentum Weritas Est!
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2012, 09:19:21 PM »
As much as most of Sony makes me go "Barrowman! Grrrrr" at them, I can't seem to get angry at anything SOE does!
Woo! - Argent Girl

Starsman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2012, 03:11:58 AM »
SOE has always been the most passionate company in the MMO world. They do MMOs because they love them. Many hate them for the SWG fiasco and the cancellation of both, SWG and Matrix Online, but I understand it was Lucas Arts calling the shots on SWG NGE and have many reasons to believe the cancellation of Matrix and SWG were both out of their control.

I will have to read more on the Pirates stuff, but I think it was not entirely under their house. Maybe the current owners cant afford running it any longer, must shut down and SOE will save it? Because the line of "SOE will shut it down to relaunch it in February" sounds just odd.
For the sake of the community: please stop the cultural "research" in your attempt to put blame on the game's cancelation.

It's sickening to see the community sink that low. It's worse to see the community does not get it.

I'm signing off and taking a break, blindly hope things change.

Starsman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2012, 03:17:51 AM »
OK... so just read the post... sounds to me like the original owning studio is going under and some members are re-starting and (i assume) acquiring the IP and game to run it in an all new direction?
For the sake of the community: please stop the cultural "research" in your attempt to put blame on the game's cancelation.

It's sickening to see the community sink that low. It's worse to see the community does not get it.

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2012, 06:32:52 AM »
OK... so just read the post... sounds to me like the original owning studio is going under and some members are re-starting and (i assume) acquiring the IP and game to run it in an all new direction?
The original studio isn't "going under" (which is often an implication of bad finances) - the original studio is being closed by SOE, and some of those devs are taking the IP to their new game company.

I will have to read more on the Pirates stuff, but I think it was not entirely under their house. Maybe the current owners cant afford running it any longer, must shut down and SOE will save it? Because the line of "SOE will shut it down to relaunch it in February" sounds just odd.
And this is why you should read articles before posting a response to them... ;)
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Adelante

• Boss
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2012, 06:09:43 PM »
Cool for the longtime players that they're trying to keep the game alive as well as letting them keep all their stuff. 

I have had mixed experiences in PotBS in the past.  On the one hand I really enjoyed the PvP in the game, it was some of the most interesting and tactical player combat available in any game, anywhere.  On the other hand the community attracted a horde of griefers and certain varieties of holes.  Then again, it's one of the only games I can think of that encouraged you to stretch your artistic abilities and let you create your own sail and flag patterns and emblems to use.   I really, really liked that.   I had something like 60 put in-game.  So nifty. 

I hope they keep that aspect of the game alive as I felt it helped keep communities together and involved.

Starsman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2012, 06:21:16 PM »
The original studio isn't "going under" (which is often an implication of bad finances) - the original studio is being closed by SOE, and some of those devs are taking the IP to their new game company.
And this is why you should read articles before posting a response to them... ;)

Well I read YOUR post :P

And to be fair, the article itself is also sketchy on what happened... Seems unless I was a player subscribed to some newsletter I would not have known what actually happened other than they will make sure the game does not die.

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2013, 02:35:43 AM »
Pirates' migration process is in progress. Log into your Station account, then visit here to migrate from SOE to Portalus. The servers go down tomorrow night from SOE. They're hoping for only a few hours' to a few days' downtime but disasters happen. If you haven't checked out PotBS, I recommend it. It's fun and different, and I actually enjoy the ship-vs-ship PVP (and I hate PVP!)

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Adelante

• Boss
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2013, 05:15:15 PM »
Yeah, PotBS is really unique.  It'll be interesting to see what Portalus does with it when they're out from under SOE's umbrella. 

Seriously, if you have any interest in Pirates/Sailing you should give the game a shot.  The game has varied content & missions, real consequences for failure (losing all unsecured loot on your ship and possibly the ship entirely) and an intricate PvP system that actually matters.