Author Topic: I have been wondering this for a while now re: Buying CoH  (Read 13166 times)

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
Re: I have been wondering this for a while now re: Buying CoH
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2012, 06:34:59 AM »
Has anyone tried contacting Richard himself?

I may joke about how egotistical he can be (Seriously Richard, did you need Shamino AND Lord British?) but the man cares about his games. Have we seen what kind of resource he could be, if only informational or otherwise vis a vis NCSoft and CoH?

He could be a valuable ally, and he has every bit as much reason to want to take a game back as any of us. More, really besides any hiding devs. Tabula Rasa was one of his babies.

It seems worth giving him a wave.

It was inadvertently let slip to me that he was one of the first to turn up to offer to buy CoX.  He was summarily turned down by NCSoft.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

Kistulot

• Elite Boss
  • Argentum Weritas Est!
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2012, 07:13:16 AM »
It was inadvertently let slip to me that he was one of the first to turn up to offer to buy CoX.  He was summarily turned down by NCSoft.

Huh.

This tempts me to send him a great big fan mail expressing my appreciation.

Thanks for the 411! Hope I can find an email!
Woo! - Argent Girl

Segev

• Plan Z: Interim Producer
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2012, 01:46:35 PM »
While, obviously, the leadership team of the Phoenix Project are spending most of their free time on working on that effort, we, too, are in this for the long haul, and hope to see CoH restored. I doubt you'll ever be alone in this, VV; we'll still be out there, keeping an eye on it and answering calls to action as they come out, at the least. And, if we're successful in providing the services we hope to, the community might just stay active and engaged in ways few that have lost their central gathering place have.

Rae

• Elite Boss
  • Journo/PR: The Phoenix Project
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2012, 06:58:51 PM »
It's just occurred to me I've signed up for two long-haul projects.

Can I get air miles? ;)
--
@Vandellia
Virtue - Vandellia / Unseen Scarlet

Twitter: @Skybloopink

Segev

• Plan Z: Interim Producer
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2012, 07:38:48 PM »
That's between you and your airline, Rae. ;)

Cinnder

• Boss
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2012, 11:10:56 PM »
Team Wildcard is in this for the long haul; I expect to spend at least a year going through the list.  And if I am the only one still doing that, so be it.  It took me 4 years to get a toon to 50, so spending a year trying to get the best MMORPG ever back in business doesn't seem like a big deal to me.

You won't be alone, VV!

Kaos Arcanna

• Elite Boss
« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2012, 11:34:59 PM »

Oddly, that makes me feel better. It's good to know that so many people valued our game.

NoName

• Minion
« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2012, 12:48:44 AM »
So the personal liability stuff vanished after the shutdown? I remember it being referenced in other posts but didn't know for sure if that was the case. It's funny that a publicly traded company can do so many moves that are contradictory to running a good business. I'm just glad we have people like Victoria Lackey and Wildcards on the case speaking on public forums where shareholders can see this kind of behavior and add to the pressure.

It's a real shame it went that way when Paragon reps tried to get it in their own hands. I just saw a story the other day about a Pirate game for Sony that they released to a studio made up of people who worked on the game. Say what you want about SOE but at least they gave that game the chance we never got.

Roughtrade

• Boss
  • Sitting on a Cornflake
« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2012, 01:05:54 AM »
Just wanted to point out that I am 62 years old.  I don't have nearly as many years left as the rest of you do.  And I am still in this for the long haul.
You're not *that* much older than me, ducks.  And ditto.

Surelle

« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2012, 02:23:27 AM »
So the personal liability stuff vanished after the shutdown? I remember it being referenced in other posts but didn't know for sure if that was the case. It's funny that a publicly traded company can do so many moves that are contradictory to running a good business. I'm just glad we have people like Victoria Lackey and Wildcards on the case speaking on public forums where shareholders can see this kind of behavior and add to the pressure.

It's a real shame it went that way when Paragon reps tried to get it in their own hands. I just saw a story the other day about a Pirate game for Sony that they released to a studio made up of people who worked on the game. Say what you want about SOE but at least they gave that game the chance we never got.

Yeah, it's Pirates of the Burning Sea, and I saw that today, too.  :)  I have always loved SOE and EQ2, and it would have been terrific to have them pick up CoH.  It's too darned bad that John Smedley has already publicly stated on Twitter that SOE was not buying CoH and never would.  (And he was cornered into doing that because some oaf on CoH's official forums started spreading false rumors there that SOE had made an offer to buy CoH within an hour or two of the shutdown announcement.)

tymothymichel

• Underling
« Reply #30 on: December 27, 2012, 09:04:39 PM »
Just wanted to point out that I am 62 years old.  I don't have nearly as many years left as the rest of you do.  And I am still in this for the long haul.
Hell you got plenty of time. My Grandmother lived to 105 and only died because when she broke a hip and  she was too stubborn to go in and get it set (gangrene got her) so as far as Im concerned, you're just middle aged) Keep fightn lady, after 21 in the navy, army , and marines, Im behind ye 110 percent.
Don't let stress kill you, let me help.