Author Topic: Champions Toons Revealed  (Read 110521 times)

Atlantea

• Elite Boss
Re: Champions Toons Revealed
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2013, 07:20:03 AM »
I feel like contributing to and renewing this thread before it becomes "old" so here's another character of mine.

This is a robotic character that I could never do proper justice to in COH, I believe. I might've been able to make a really tall "Huge" frame robotic character. But I don't think it would've had quite the same flair or sense of size.

Anybody remember Shogun Warriors toys?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shogun_Warriors_%28toys%29

If not, maybe you're at least passingly familiar with some of the Super Robot shows that graced Japan's airwaves (ex: Raideen, Danguard Ace, Combattler V, Gaiking) before Gundam turned the whole genre upside down. Then decades later, Evangelion deconstructed (rather brutally) the whole genre (son pilots robot designed by genius father who's a bit of a crackpot etc.)

Well Marvel comics got the license to both Shogun Warriors and Godzilla in the mid-70s and set about making comics of them.

Needless to say - as a wee tot I was in love with em. No matter how bad they actually were. :D

Anyway - appearing in the pages of the Earth 616 Godzilla was another piloted robot clearly inspired by the Shogun Warriors/Super Robot type - Red Ronin.
http://www.marvunapp.com/Appendix2/redroninrobot.htm

Around September/October of 2011 I was playing around with the CO character creator and came upon a combination of Robot face and "mecha wings" that sparked my memory of that old series and Red Ronin. So I made an homage.

He's in the game as "Robot Ronin".

I use alt costumes to represent the pilot of Robot Ronin - Kenji.

The following is his bio as it appears in the game:

Robot Ronin (originally designated Robotic Combat weapon SJ3RX) was developed with the assistance of  Harmon Industries by engineers and scientists Tamara Hashioka and Yuriko Takiguchi, and constructed in Detroit, Michigan. It was intended to be used by PRIMUS as a combat instrument against the monster Cazulon.  Takiguchi's twelve year old grandson Rob accidentally "imprinted" on the control interface and became the only pilot the robot would respond to.

After the Qulaar conflict was over, the Robot was put into storage "dry dock" and occasionally brought out to help control the "kaiju" sized monsters on Monster Island.

Present day - the 2009 Qulaar conflict. Rob's own son Kenji was exploring the old test facility when the Qulaar attacked. He decided to try piloting the robot, and it accepted him.

After subduing Cazulon (whom the Qulaar had expanded to full size again) the robot was restraining the monster when Microman's shrinking beam caught both of them.

The robot (and Kenji!) are now slightly 'out of phase' with the rest of the world in regards to their size. The Robot is now 1/10th the size it was before. So is Kenji when he pilots it! He can return to his regular size by disembarking.

As you might guess I take full advantage of the Supermagnifier device -

- As well as use the 0-Point Growth Advantage on Enrage He's got perma-stacks of 3 normally. Can max it to 8. At which point he's getting pretty huge!

He's mainly a Devastator build, but with some power armor abilities mixed in. Invulnerability for Tanking, if I need to. The Energy Shield with the Laser Knight advantage. Mini-Missiles, Plasma Beam, and Fire all Weapons. He's not THE most efficient build out there. But he's DAMN fun to play!

I recently got him past level 35. And was initially stumped for what secondary travel power to take. But I decided to try out Rocket Jump, under the logic that - he's already got jets/rockets in his legs. If he just pulses them in overcharge mode, he can jump instead of fly.

HAHAHA... I fell in LOVE. It's ridiculous! But it's AWESOME!. Giant Kaiju sized Robot BOUNDING over the rooftops and CRUNCHING into the pavement? WHAT'S NOT TO LOVE? :D

Oh but the fun doesn't stop there.

I couldn't think of a legitimate alternate "costume" for Robot Ronin. So I started fiddling around with OOC Robot Tributes to fill his alternate costume slots. I'll break them out for friends or just to show off.

Optimus Prime and Bumblebee from Transformers.

Big O. From the anime of the same name broadcast on Cartoon Network in the early 00s.

Shin Getter Robo

Evangelion Unit 01

Jet Jaguar from Toho's "Godzilla Vs. Megalon" from the early 1970s.

RR's been a blast to play, all around. ^_^

« Last Edit: May 05, 2013, 12:19:40 PM by Atlantea »

Todogut

• Boss
    • Todogut on deviantART
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2013, 08:57:31 AM »
Cool! Thanks for sharing.

When I was in high school, a foreign exchange student from Japan joined our senior class. His name was Takashi. I showed him some science fiction/fantasy movie magazines that I had, which featured articles about Japanese movies and TV shows including giant robots.

Takashi was embarrassed--mortified, even--to be discussing these movies and TV shows because, he explained, they're for children.

Yeah, but, to a geeky nerd, like me, they seemed pretty cool.

Nos482

• Elite Boss
  • We've gone and done the greatest crime...
    • My PSN profile
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2013, 12:13:40 PM »
No Megas costume? :(
I'm bad and that's good.
I'll never be good and that's not bad.
There's no one I'd rather be than me.

...unless I could be Batman, of course. Everybody wants to be Batman.

Atlantea

• Elite Boss
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2013, 01:39:23 PM »
No Megas costume? :(

Megas XLR?

Nooo... I hadn't thought of it. Until now!

Dang... How WOULD I make it look like a robot has a CAR for a head?

This requires research. Let me get back to you on that... ^_^

General Idiot

• Elite Boss
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2013, 04:10:27 PM »
You could always make the version from the very first episode before it got the original head blown off, but that wouldn't be nearly as awesome.

wei yau

• Boss
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2013, 07:21:52 PM »
Much respect for Robot Ronin!  That looks absolutely amazing.

Enough so that you may have gotten me to take a second look at CO.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2013, 11:52:16 PM »
I gotta say, props all around, there! I'd forgotten about Jet Jaguar! Makes me want to try UltraMan or Goldar from the Space Giants. (Ask your parents. ;))
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Atlantea

• Elite Boss
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2013, 05:25:05 PM »
Well I've looked at all the options, and sadly there's no way to cobble together anything that looks like "Car for a Head" so no Megas XLR. Sorry!

I gotta say, props all around, there! I'd forgotten about Jet Jaguar! Makes me want to try UltraMan or Goldar from the Space Giants. (Ask your parents. ;))

Saaaaay...

Those might both be pretty easy, actually!

Atlantea

• Elite Boss
« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2013, 06:52:32 AM »
Somebody called for an Ultraman design? Here ya go. ^_^

« Last Edit: May 05, 2013, 12:20:32 PM by Atlantea »

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2013, 02:27:28 AM »
Very nicely done! :)
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Todogut

• Boss
    • Todogut on deviantART
« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2013, 04:02:28 PM »
As a free Silver account player, I was limited to two character slots. However, I earned enough Questionite to exchange for Zen in the Questionite Exchange and buy two more character slots.

I recreated my character, Golden Shaft. In City of Heroes, he was a trick arrow/archery defender. In Champions Online, he's the Marksman archetype. Finally, he has a quiver--hooray!

Airhead was a psychic blast/mental manipulation blaster in CoH. In CO, he's the Mind archetype. However, when I discovered that the Mind is a support character type that mostly heals other players, I deleted Airhead to make room for another character.

Doctor Outre was a dark miasma/dark blast defender in CoH. In CO, he's the Grimoire archetype. He looks much more vivid in CO. Plus, he uses the teleportation travel power, which is implemented in a much cooler manner in CO than in CoH.

I'm having so much fun playing Doc Outre that I'm starting to agonize over carrying out my original plan for him. I wanted to try out the Mind and the Grimoire and use them along with my three other characters to grind for Questionite in order to exchange for Zen and buy the Fist archetype. Then, I planned to delete a character and create Red Dragon, who was a martial arts/super reflexes scrapper in CoH.

Long before City of Heroes was released, I played the Champions pencil and paper roleplaying game with a group of friends. Red Dragon was my main character. (Airhead and Golden Shaft were characters created by friends in our gaming group.)

Back then, I liked to draw pictures of our Champions characters. One day, I decided I wanted to revise Red Dragon's costume. His original mask was inspired by Marvel Comics' Iron Fist, but I wanted to make it look more like a dragon, very elaborate and ornately detailed, like costumes worn by performers in the Peking Royal Opera. However, I quickly learned that I did not possess the drawing skill nor visual imagination to achieve my goal. This was before the days of the Internet, so I couldn't just Google search for reference images of a dragon mask from a Chinese parade.

When CoH launched, RD was the first toon I created. In CO, he finally gets his fancy dragon mask!
« Last Edit: November 23, 2013, 09:43:37 AM by Todogut »

0nehanklap

• Lieutenant
« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2013, 08:48:22 PM »
As a free Silver account player, I was limited to two character slots. However, I earned enough Questionite to exchange for Zen in the Questionite Exchange and buy two more character slots.

y'know, questionite is useful for lots of different things - but I think it would be better to use it on those other things, and just open a second acct to get 2 additional silver slots...   nevertheless, the toons look great ;)

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2013, 04:51:48 PM »
Is it just me, or do CO toons look startled or surprised compared to CoH toons? :)

0nehanklap

• Lieutenant
« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2013, 08:48:16 PM »
They just look more plastic to me.

Todogut

• Boss
    • Todogut on deviantART
« Reply #34 on: April 09, 2013, 08:22:58 AM »
I created a video showing my Fist archetype character, Red Dragon, teaming up with my friend's Behemoth archetype character, Titania, for "The Westside Intrigue Culmination" mission. We played these characters in City of Heroes, and now their adventures continue in Champions Online.

Nilbog

• Minion
« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2013, 08:49:32 PM »
wish I could get passed the stylized graphics of CO, it was released well after COX, you would think they would have utilized the latest technologies to make a game that looks better than their main competition....

Rust

• Elite Boss
  • Oddball
« Reply #36 on: April 16, 2013, 09:12:12 AM »
Sadly, a snafu on my end resulted in the loss of all my CoX Pictures, so no comparison shots. But here's my current (first) CoX Refugee:

Thoughtforce

Originally a Mind Control/Force Field Controller back in Issue 5/6, then became a Psi/Psi Dominator when Villain Archtypes got rolled over into CoH.

A specialized suit of power armor, Project: Thoughtforce was part of the US Government's Super Hero Initiative back in the 80s, the Powers Project. The goal behind the Powers Project was to create a Federal Super Hero team that could act in a official capacity and be a Public Relations boon to the Country. It turned into a fiasco in short order after the team devolved into covert ops work and was eventually disbanded. The armor was mothballed and lost in the decades that followed, eventually coming into the possession of a retired Air Force Major.

The Thoughtforce Armor amplifies psionic abilities in Human Pilots, granting them abilities on par with any psychic presently cataloged. The interior of the suit features a reactive psionic gel that transmits brain wave impulses into the correct "ability" that the armor then serves as a foci for. In effect, the Thoughtforce armor can mimic many basic power armor abilities despite all of it being controlled by the mind of the individual piloting the suit. The sole exception is the armor's ability of flight, which is achieved via a rocket pack on the back. During testing, the strain of maintaining a telekinetic field required for flight for more then a few minutes often resulted in mental fatigue or even "stress fractures" on a pilot's psyche.

The armor is only as powerful as the mind operating the suit is. While the suit does not actually grant psychic abilities, only a person who is sensitive to psychic energies can even hope to command the suit to do the most basic of tasks.

EDIT: Have a few more shots:

Thought...:

...And Force:

« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 12:10:22 AM by Rust »
All that I'm after is a life filled with laughter

Todogut

• Boss
    • Todogut on deviantART
« Reply #37 on: April 20, 2013, 06:46:58 PM »
I earned Questionite and exchanged it for 1,400 Zen and then purchased two additional character slots. So, I got two new characters (on the same free Silver account) without paying any real-world money.

In City of Heroes, Glacial Mass was an Ice Armor/Ice Melee Tanker with high-tech armor that generated ice powers. In Champions Online, I reconceptualized him as an ice elemental using the Glacier archetype--now, no worries about his armor suit being damaged.

Before City of Heroes, my friend invented a character named Starbolt back when we played the Champions pencil-and-paper roleplaying game. When CoH launched, he played Starbolt first as an Energy Blast/Energy Manipulation Blaster and later as a human-only Peacebringer. In Champions Online, my friend played Starbolt as a freeform character, and now I'm playing the character to try out the Radiant archetype.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 12:56:36 PM by Todogut »

DJMoose

• Missing His Jeep
  • Boss
  • To believe in the heroic makes heroes.
« Reply #38 on: April 22, 2013, 03:10:13 AM »
I was quite surprised at the options presented in the character creator for CO.  I'm still tweaking them, but I have been able to recreate most of my favorite characters from COH.

Guardian of the Pit: Formerly a Titan Weapon/Willpower Scrapper, now The Devastator.

Serkana: Formerly a Katana/Willpower Scrapper, now The Blade.

Thunder Hooves: Formerly a Martial Arts/Regen Scrapper, now The Fist. (More like Thunder Thighs now, Amirite?  :roll:)

X-357: Formerly a Electric Blast/Electric Manip Blaster, now The Tempest.

Void Summoner: Formerly a Dark Control/Martial Assault Dominator, now The Void.  Overall I feel that this character turned out the best, as she became more like what I wanted her to look like in CO than in COH.  This is the only character I have leveled past the starting area as of yet, but I might reroll her as a freeform.  I do like the Void Archetype very much thus far however.  In Void Summoner's bio she was basically an experiment by Crey scientists in an attempt to create their own Nictus.  As I am new to the CO lore I do not know of a semi-evil corporation that would be able to create some secret super-being.  Anyone have any ideas?

Serkana The Wise
Primal Praetorian

General Idiot

• Elite Boss
« Reply #39 on: April 22, 2013, 08:32:01 AM »
As I am new to the CO lore I do not know of a semi-evil corporation that would be able to create some secret super-being.  Anyone have any ideas?

My top two would be ARGENT, since they're a giant corporation along more or less the same lines as Crey, and VIPER who're the giant terrorist organisation along much the same lines as the Council or Arachnos.

You can find parallels for most of the CoH groups in Champions lore, due mostly to how CoH began. Rumor has it CoH was going to be a Champions game, but they couldn't get the license for it so they adapted some of their own tabletop campaigns to create a new world. That presumably happening after much of the game was designed if not built likely influenced their enemy groups and such to fall into similar patterns.