Author Topic: The Guy Perfect Thread  (Read 11023 times)

GuyPerfect

• Mary Poppins
  • Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
The Guy Perfect Thread
« on: December 17, 2012, 06:00:10 AM »
Hi everyone! I'm me! Just thought I'd clear that up in case there was any confusion about who I am, or about who is me. I'm all about clarity.

Earlier today I got a private message from... someone... thanking me for my work on... something. Half of you probably know what I'm talking about, and why I don't want to delve any deeper into the subject, but it's still one of those things that I do and I do it because I love this community. So instead of talking about that, what do you all say I talk about me!

I joined the Titan Network back in... wait a sec, no I didn't. I was actually a Paragon Wiki contributor and content manager. My first edit was "Mk II Zenith Warcry is clearly a Lieutenant, not a Boss". Ah, those days. I forged the Spruce Hammer, a tool dedicated to comprehensive integrity and fact-checking. I also created another hammer, one whose destructive power had no name. That was the tool used to tear down missing, incomplete or incorrect information. It was thankfully rarely used. Over the years I've been involved in wiki projects with the other content managers, and even up until before the doomsday announcement, we were... *ahem*... "hammering" out how to redo the Enhancement articles. There were plans that got cut short before coming to fruition.

I also openly admit that I've done a lot of work reverse-engineering the game client for the sake of information discovery. The "piggs", as they're known, contain all of the database records for in-game items and powers, and I had developed a crude display website not unlike City of Data. That was back when RedTomax was the star of the show and, again, Paragon Wiki was not part of the Titan Network. I later learned that I was once approached by quote-unquote "Paul L. Orts" of Staff Melee video fame about the hacking details. From here, it goes without saying that my hacking activities led to the development of Titan Sentinel (prized for its ability to export Mids builds from the game), and I've written some sophisticated utilities for City Info Tracker data exports and even an automated Power Set article generator. One thing that's never been made known to the public is that I made some (if I do say so myself) pretty slick software for use back-end by Titan staff. I made a fully-featured development API that interfaces Java programs with the contents of the piggs (in particular those aforementioned databases), and a superior archive manager called The Trough (which, after all, is what pigs view). It was a playground for me, and Titan was able to do a lot of stuff with what I churned out!

Before anyone asks or gives me credit for it, City of Data is driven by utilities that Codewalker developed. That particular one wasn't me.

In-game, I ran the ropes just like everyone else, but quickly grew bored of "Deafeat Council. Now defeat more Council. Carnies? No? Okay, how about Council?" Never do Carnies. Never do Arachnos. Never do ANYTHING that could potentially wind up in one of those rectum-shaped caves. NEVER! I was so happy when I could drop newspaper missions and grab different ones that were in sewers or office buildings or anything other than those blasted rectum-shaped caves. Uh... yeah, I got bored of that. So I started making oddball characters that were either totally atypical or had pointlessly specific goals. To the best of my knowledge, I made the only combat-effective petless Mastermind to ever grace the game servers. Well, to be fair, DeProgarmmer made one, but it was Traps and it--especially Force Field Generator--brushed uncomfortably close to the pet barrier. But mine, oh yeah, it would solo Elite Bosses. Even that jackhole Sefu Tendaji. Turns out when you put four damage procs in Brawl and crank up the recharge, it really tears up the joint. I wasn't looking forward to Issue 24 reworking how procs activate. But man, it was great while it lasted. Though it wasn't until I repurposed an old level 50 Arachnos Soldier (if you have one level 50 Soldier, you have them all) to produce The Toxicand that I really experienced true fun in the game. Man I loved Toxic damage. I was particularly looking forward to Issue 24's Spider's Bite Enhancement set.

My account was created in May of 2006, shortly after my birthday (May 6, by the way. Happy Hindenburg day!). My first character, my first 50, was still around in the final moments. Since Codewalker found a way to teleport into old zones, I took my first character back to Outbreak, took off his cape, and saluted Officer Flint until the end of the world occurred. I figured Flint was the very first CoH I ever saw, and it would be the very last CoH as well. Turns out the day/night cycle doesn't apply to that zone. The sun's always up; there is never a sunset in the land of new beginnings (and I don't mean New Bark Town). I was introduced to the game by my brother, who since stopped playing. He was married and had two daughters, though that didn't work out and he hasn't been making much of himself alone as of late. I only knew the girls as infants. I expect they were taught that their father was a deadbeat of a man and they have an uncle who never cared about them, but it's just a guess. Either way, my brother's first 50 was around before either of my nieces were--a memento of a time before life began--and it was still there on the servers when they went down. He did briefly get to play with it earlier this year, so he experienced that Incarnate thing all the kids were talking about. Heh, he'd spend so much time back when I started, staring at the Power Set pages in the instruction manual and constantly thinking up potential new characters. I'm sure some of you can relate. (-:

I hadn't been playing CoH a whole lot for a couple months before the shutdown announcement, and proceeded to not play it a whole lot right up until the end! So the impact, for me, was thankfully somewhat minimal. But I do remember certain months in 2009, alternating between the hotel and the public library, where I had City of Heroes even though I didn't live anywhere. It was there for me when I needed it, and I would have been devastated if it had been taken away. So my thoughts are with those for whom the impact was not minimal, as I know even now it can be difficult to adjust to having the game taken away from you.

Since the shutdown, in addition to my freelancing (software development, if you had to ask), I've been looking into something that I've been wanting to do for a while now. I've always been a big proponent of technological preservation, and in fact Extra Credits recently did an episode on that subject. There's one video game system in particular that hasn't received the attention I think it needs to get, and largely because it's the... shall I say... red-and-black sheep of the flock. The software available for it was generally lacking, it was inconvenient to use (especially with all the headaches it caused), and its producer has been known to actively censor its existence in North America. I am of course talking about the Nintendo Virtual Boy. All of Nintendo's other systems, and the games made for them, have been well-preserved through emulation like a fly trapped in amber, but it looks like Nintendo intends to let the VB get lost to obscurity. And while emulators for Virtual Boy do exist, for playing the games at least, there is something in particular I want to do...

Everyone has a hero, I suppose. In this specific regard, the guy's name is Martin Korth, known for the NO$GMB Game Boy emulator in the mid 1990s and for cracking the encryption on the Nintendo DS. The guy's website is here, on which you can find downloads of his emulators if you care. But more importantly, it's where you can find some very, very, very good documentation on the systems he wrote emulators for. I'm serious, these are absolutely mind-blowing. Check 'em out: NES, Game Boy, SNES, GBA/DS. He hasn't worked with GameCube or Wii, but those are also well-understood by other sources. I want to make a document like those for Virtual Boy. And then I want to make an emulator for the system, and hopefully even a version of it that runs on the 3DS.

In fact, I've got a pretty good start on a document. But it has plenty of holes: information on the system is rather lacking, largely because nobody cares about it. After all, my document isn't finished yet. If it was, this would be so much easier! In order to really sink my teeth in, I'm going to need a way to run my own code on a real Virtual Boy system. So the past few weeks have been spent acquiring the various hardware bits from people on eBay. I had one once, but it was lost to a fire, and I wanted to knock it out of the way while I still had a chance, so eBay is what it was. All of the parts and games I had have been assembled, and I even made a Batman-shaped screwdriver to take out those blasted security screws so I could repair the faulty display connectors. All is ready to go; I just need a way to get code on the system now. And I found that in the form of a guy who, for a price, will manufacture USB-capable flash cartridges to anyone who pays him. And while I do have the hundred bucks to drop on it, I'm still a bit sore from the hardware purchases, and freelancing doesn't have the luxury of a weekly paycheck.

So hey, as long as I'm thinking about it... While I won't outright ask for money, I'd still like to mention that I bet I'd really appreciate if anyone wanted to assist with the purchase. (-:

And there you have it: Guy Perfect in a comfortably ergonomic nutshell! I will now be taking questions in the form of praise and admiration. Autographs will be filled out by my secretary.

(And the dry humor is limitless; I'm not actually an egomaniac)

corvus1970

• Elite Boss
  • A true ruler is as moral as a Hurricane.
Re: The Guy Perfect Thread
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2012, 06:12:56 AM »
Good read, Guy. Thanks for putting all of that out there   8)
... ^o^CORVUS^o^
"...if nothing we do matters, than all that matters is what we do."
http://corvus1970.deviantart.com/

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2012, 10:32:19 AM »
::clings to Guy's ankle in the standard barbarian-maiden-clings-to-Conan's-ankle pose::

::amends that and substitutes one of her CoH characters, Red Genie, because she's a lot prettier::
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

daveyfiacre

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2012, 10:37:36 PM »
happy to meetchya :)

i've always been a fan of your Petless posts and the Toxicand.

Septipheran

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2012, 11:57:02 PM »
Hi! Thanks for all the stuff.

To the best of my knowledge, I made the only combat-effective petless Mastermind to ever grace the game servers. Well, to be fair, DeProgarmmer made one, but it was Traps and it--especially Force Field Generator--brushed uncomfortably close to the pet barrier. But mine, oh yeah, it would solo Elite Bosses.

I never got around to actually rolling it, but I did theoretically construct a petless Mastermind that could solo AV's up to around level 52 with the Alpha shift and Interface. Maybe higher than that. It also softcapped all positions with good layered resistance and had almost 200% recharge w/ Agility.  8)

Edit: Thinking about it, the build could actually probably tackle AV's up to 54 and GM's solo due to the perma regen debuff. It would just take a while.

Hero Plan by Mids' Hero Designer 1.96
http://www.cohplanner.com/

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Level 50 Magic Mastermind
Primary Power Set: Demon Summoning
Secondary Power Set: Time Manipulation
Power Pool: Speed
Power Pool: Fighting
Power Pool: Leadership
Power Pool: Leaping
Ancillary Pool: Leviathan Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Corruption -- Thundr-Acc/Dmg(A), Thundr-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(3), Thundr-Dmg/Rchg(3), Dmg-I(5), GJ-Dam%(5), Decim-Build%(7)
Level 1: Time Crawl -- Acc-I(A)
Level 2: Lash -- T'Death-Acc/Dmg(A), T'Death-Dmg/EndRdx(7), T'Death-Dmg/Rchg(9), T'Death-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(9), T'Death-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(11), T'Death-Dam%(11)
Level 4: Temporal Mending -- Panac-Heal/EndRedux(A), Panac-EndRdx/Rchg(13), Panac-Heal/Rchg(15), Panac-Heal/EndRedux/Rchg(15), Panac-Heal(17)
Level 6: Time's Juncture -- ToHitDeb-I(A)
Level 8: Crack Whip -- Posi-Acc/Dmg(A), Posi-Dmg/EndRdx(17), Posi-Dmg/Rchg(19), Posi-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(19), Posi-Dam%(21)
Level 10: Temporal Selection -- RechRdx-I(A)
Level 12: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A)
Level 14: Boxing -- Empty(A)
Level 16: Distortion Field -- GladNet-Dam%(A), Lock-%Hold(21), NrncSD-Dam%(23), G'Wdw-Dam%(23)
Level 18: Tough -- S'fstPrt-ResDam/Def+(A), Aegis-ResDam/EndRdx(25), Aegis-ResDam(25), Aegis-ResDam/Rchg(27), Aegis-EndRdx/Rchg(27), Aegis-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(29)
Level 20: Time Stop -- UbrkCons-Hold(A), UbrkCons-Hold/Rchg(29), UbrkCons-Acc/Hold/Rchg(31), UbrkCons-Acc/Rchg(31), UbrkCons-EndRdx/Hold(31)
Level 22: Weave -- LkGmblr-Rchg+(A), LkGmblr-Def(33), LkGmblr-Def/EndRdx(33), DefBuff-I(50)
Level 24: Maneuvers -- LkGmblr-Rchg+(A), LkGmblr-Def(33), LkGmblr-Def/EndRdx(34), DefBuff-I(34)
Level 26: Tactics -- GSFC-ToHit(A), GSFC-ToHit/Rchg(34), GSFC-ToHit/Rchg/EndRdx(36), GSFC-Rchg/EndRdx(36), GSFC-ToHit/EndRdx(36), GSFC-Build%(37)
Level 28: Farsight -- LkGmblr-Rchg+(A), LkGmblr-Def(37), DefBuff-I(37), DefBuff-I(39), SW-ResDam/Re TP(40)
Level 30: Combat Jumping -- LkGmblr-Rchg+(A), LkGmblr-Def/EndRdx(39), LkGmblr-Def(39), DefBuff-I(45)
Level 32: Super Speed -- Zephyr-ResKB(A)
Level 35: Slowed Response -- Achilles-ResDeb%(A)
Level 38: Chrono Shift -- Panac-EndRdx/Rchg(A), Panac-Heal/Rchg(40), Panac-Heal/EndRedux/Rchg(40), Panac-Heal/EndRedux(42), Panac-Heal(42)
Level 41: Bile Spray -- Posi-Acc/Dmg(A), Posi-Dmg/EndRdx(42), Posi-Dmg/Rchg(43), Posi-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(43), Posi-Dam%(43)
Level 44: Knockout Blow -- Hectmb-Dmg(A), Hectmb-Dmg/Rchg(45), Hectmb-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(45), Hectmb-Dmg/EndRdx(46), Hectmb-Dam%(46), UbrkCons-Dam%(46)
Level 47: Shark Skin -- GA-ResDam(A), GA-Res/Rech/End(48), GA-End/Res(48), GA-3defTpProc(48), GA-RechEnd(50), GA-RechRes(50)
Level 49: Assault -- EndRdx-I(A)
Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Dash -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Slide -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Quick -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Rush -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Surge -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Supremacy
Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)
Level 4: Ninja Run
Level 2: Swift -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Health -- Mrcl-Rcvry+(A), Numna-Regen/Rcvry+(13)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Stamina -- EndMod-I(A)
Level 50: Agility Core Paragon
Level 0: Freedom Phalanx Reserve
Level 0: Portal Jockey
Level 0: Task Force Commander
Level 0: The Atlas Medallion
Level 50: Reactive Radial Flawless Interface
------------

« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 12:13:49 AM by Septipheran »

Tidbit

• Underling
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2012, 12:52:57 AM »
Good read.  Thanks for all you've done for the community!

GuyPerfect

• Mary Poppins
  • Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2012, 01:11:32 AM »
Thinking about it, the build could actually probably tackle AV's up to 54 and GM's solo due to the perma regen debuff. It would just take a while.

Hey, glad to see some more critical thought on the subject! Although I do have to say that this is one of those cases that, as they say, "looks good on paper" (-:

What I see is that you're slotting the attacks for damage. That's a clear indication that the build is hypothetical, but I don't mean that in a bad way! It's just that my personal experience has revealed that you couldn't take the ordinary approach and strengthen Masterminds' existing damage output. It just doesn't work. Jamie Hyneman may have been able to polish a turd to two thirds the shininess of a chrome ball, but Mastermind damage existed in a turdier, less polishable reality.

Time Manipulation aside, Mastermind damage wasn't enough to really outdo normal Boss regeneration. Enhancement-for-Enhancement, Mastermind attacks would see a greater average damage benefit from slotting two or three damage procs than they would for slotting boosts to Damage. For this reason, fast-cycle attacks like Brawl and Boxing were among the highest potential DPS powers available to Masterminds, with Air Superiority providing invaluable status control. Sucks as it may, the petless Mastermind performed better in melee than it did at range.

Prior to the shutdown announcement, I did some extensive analysis to determine which combinations of power sets would work best for certain aspects of petlessness:
  • For survivability, I resolved that a Robotics/Time Manipulation could out-live any other kind, provided Protector Bots was used prior to battle and then dismissed once the Force Shield was applied. Not exactly petless, but the spirit of the build is still there, and it's not unlike Force Field Generator in that regard. Time Manipulation's additional -recharge and -ToHit gave it an edge over Force Field in terms of self-preservation. A resistance-based epic shield, rather than Defense, was preferred since Defense already came from the native power sets and Masterminds could crank up the Smashing and Lethal resistance to 66% easily between the epic shield and Tough.
  • Damage output, as covered earlier, is provided primarily by Brawl and Boxing, and an auxiliary source of damage comes from Knockout Blow. These were powers available to all Masterminds regardless of their power set selections, so whatever else you'd pick may as well augment them. For strict resistance debuff and crowd control, I determined that Poison was the best bet for secondary (the holds stack well with Leviathan Mastery; KO Blow is a mez power too!). The primary, if used at all, should be Necromancy since Negative Energy didn't see a lot of NPC resistance. And hey, a ranged self heal.
  • Debuffs, not surprisingly, fell in Time Manipulation territory, and Necromancy was the only offensive set with any debuffs in it. I had a Necro/Time in progress when the servers went down, and I was really looking forward to seeing how it turned out. Besides Time, though, I had quite a bit of success with Demons/Trick Arrow. Ordinarily, Trick Arrow just slowed the character down, but on a Mastermind, since Dark Miasma and Radiation Emission weren't available and the damage output wasn't much to shake a stick at to begin with, it was a pretty fun endeavor.
The main reason I stopped playing that Necro/Time was because TOXIC DAMAGE YUMMY came along. (-:

daveyfiacre

• Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2012, 03:36:49 AM »
oh also i think PlainGuy came up with a decent petless build, but it might have been something else i followed his posts for. cant remember  :o

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2012, 03:41:11 AM »
Are you an Angry Bird, an Annoyed Bird, or just a Moderately Irritated Bird?
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

Septipheran

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2012, 04:09:00 PM »
Hey, glad to see some more critical thought on the subject! Although I do have to say that this is one of those cases that, as they say, "looks good on paper" (-:

What I see is that you're slotting the attacks for damage. That's a clear indication that the build is hypothetical, but I don't mean that in a bad way! It's just that my personal experience has revealed that you couldn't take the ordinary approach and strengthen Masterminds' existing damage output. It just doesn't work. Jamie Hyneman may have been able to polish a turd to two thirds the shininess of a chrome ball, but Mastermind damage existed in a turdier, less polishable reality.

Time Manipulation aside, Mastermind damage wasn't enough to really outdo normal Boss regeneration. Enhancement-for-Enhancement, Mastermind attacks would see a greater average damage benefit from slotting two or three damage procs than they would for slotting boosts to Damage. For this reason, fast-cycle attacks like Brawl and Boxing were among the highest potential DPS powers available to Masterminds, with Air Superiority providing invaluable status control. Sucks as it may, the petless Mastermind performed better in melee than it did at range.

*pulls out handy calculator*
Running KoB>Lash>CW>Corr I'm seeing 1108.2/8.316 for ~133.3 DPS. That's not very good at all, right? Well actually if you think about it, a Rad/Sonic Defender will be hitting a raw damage high around ~114.6 and they're one of the best GM killers in the game. Obviously the Demon Mastermind won't ultimately be able to match the intrinsic -res levels from Defender's Sonic, but the point is that as long as you have the debuffs and the layered mitigation to survive (which is where slotting the Mastermind up as I did rather than superprocing everything) you'll essentially be able to tackle anything you want without exterior assistance and never risk defeat. Raw damage really isn't a big deal when you can stack up regen and res debuffs.
Prior to the shutdown announcement, I did some extensive analysis to determine which combinations of power sets would work best for certain aspects of petlessness:
  • For survivability, I resolved that a Robotics/Time Manipulation could out-live any other kind, provided Protector Bots was used prior to battle and then dismissed once the Force Shield was applied. Not exactly petless, but the spirit of the build is still there, and it's not unlike Force Field Generator in that regard. Time Manipulation's additional -recharge and -ToHit gave it an edge over Force Field in terms of self-preservation. A resistance-based epic shield, rather than Defense, was preferred since Defense already came from the native power sets and Masterminds could crank up the Smashing and Lethal resistance to 66% easily between the epic shield and Tough.

I think Time by itself is enough of a survivability multiplier regardless of what primary you take. There's really no need for the protector bot trick since you can softcap all your positions through IO and agility (on top of a resistance shield like you said) anyways. I opted for Demon on my build because the Whip looks so cool. :)
  • Damage output, as covered earlier, is provided primarily by Brawl and Boxing, and an auxiliary source of damage comes from Knockout Blow. These were powers available to all Masterminds regardless of their power set selections, so whatever else you'd pick may as well augment them. For strict resistance debuff and crowd control, I determined that Poison was the best bet for secondary (the holds stack well with Leviathan Mastery; KO Blow is a mez power too!). The primary, if used at all, should be Necromancy since Negative Energy didn't see a lot of NPC resistance. And hey, a ranged self heal.

I'm just not seeing the math add up on the brawl/boxing thing. Slotting Brawl with 4 damage procs and 2 Damage generics, even accounting for Assault and Interface I'm only seeing 126.9 raw damage. Slotting Boxing w/ 3 procs and 3 Dam generics (used Hecatomb in Brawl) I'm seeing 119 raw damage. If your chain works out to be something like KoB>brawl>boxing>brawl>boxing>brawl>boxing>brawl>boxing> 1461.8/11.8 for 123.88 DPS. It's closer than I expected, but the standard Whip/KoB chain w/ conventional slotting is still higher.
  • Debuffs, not surprisingly, fell in Time Manipulation territory, and Necromancy was the only offensive set with any debuffs in it. I had a Necro/Time in progress when the servers went down, and I was really looking forward to seeing how it turned out. Besides Time, though, I had quite a bit of success with Demons/Trick Arrow. Ordinarily, Trick Arrow just slowed the character down, but on a Mastermind, since Dark Miasma and Radiation Emission weren't available and the damage output wasn't much to shake a stick at to begin with, it was a pretty fun endeavor.
The main reason I stopped playing that Necro/Time was because TOXIC DAMAGE YUMMY came along. (-:

What I like about time is that it has layered debuffs to help DPS and survivability, and it can softcap all positions with a resist shield as long as you go Agility. The 200% recharge is nice too, especially with limited AOE potential- it's nice to trim the cooldowns like that.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 05:21:55 PM by Septipheran »

Septipheran

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2012, 04:20:20 PM »
Man I missed City of Spreadsheet PVP. *high five*

GuyPerfect

• Mary Poppins
  • Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2012, 05:31:21 PM »
Slotting Brawl with 4 damage procs and 2 Damage generics, even accounting for Assault and Interface I'm only seeing 126.9 raw damage.

Remember what I said earlier: you can't take the usual approach and strengthen Mastermind's existing damage and expect to get very far. Using Damage Enhancements in Mastermind Brawl is like... exaggerating here, but the point is the same: turning 0.000001 into 0.00000133. Invention procs, prior to Issue 24, rolled per target per activation. If you have a 33% proc rate in Hecatomb, then the benefit comes from how often you can get it to activate. Putting Damage in Brawl is a feeble waste, but putting Recharge in it makes a big difference. Assault is in much the same situation: if you want to drain Endurance, there are more entertaining ways to do it. (-:

With all four damage procs (Invention, not Attuned) in Brawl, the power had a 64% chance of *something* going off every time it activated. And if I remember correctly, it had a slim chance of dealing some 300 damage in a single activation. Fire that off more than once every second (using recharge improvements), compounded with resistance debuffs, and it adds up quick. Much quicker than the slower-cycling powers with only slightly less anemic damage output. Issue 24 was going to change all of that, though.

I don't doubt that a Time Mastermind can down an Arch-villain given enough lunar cycles, but that to me doesn't equate to combat effectiveness. When on teams, I would regularly out-damage two in five teammates, and hop from one group to the next while they sat back at a safe distance. Even had one guy say I was "power leveling" him when demonstrating the build. (-: That's quite a bit different from taking 20 seconds every time a Lieutenant comes along, and trial and error got me there with damage procs, not with boosts to damage.

Septipheran

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2012, 06:06:15 PM »
Remember what I said earlier: you can't take the usual approach and strengthen Mastermind's existing damage and expect to get very far. Using Damage Enhancements in Mastermind Brawl is like... exaggerating here, but the point is the same: turning 0.000001 into 0.00000133. Invention procs, prior to Issue 24, rolled per target per activation. If you have a 33% proc rate in Hecatomb, then the benefit comes from how often you can get it to activate. Putting Damage in Brawl is a feeble waste, but putting Recharge in it makes a big difference. Assault is in much the same situation: if you want to drain Endurance, there are more entertaining ways to do it. (-:

Mids assumes average damage per activation cycle when it calculates proc damage right? Or does it always assume the proc goes off for full impact? If it's the latter then beyond a doubt the math isn't adding up. I slotted the max available procs in brawl and boxing when I ran those numbers and padded with Damage IO's just to give you the benefit of the doubt. At 200% recharge I believe the recharge times of brawl and boxing are shorter than the cast time of the other respectively but I could be wrong on that. Again, assault was just there for padding and parity. If Mids assumes average damage calculating % chance of procs going off I suppose you could get higher than the number I came up with but it wouldn't be consistent- Once again if it assumes the full effect of procs when calculating the damage of an attack it's definitely below the chain I used in my build by ~10 DPS.
With all four damage procs (Invention, not Attuned) in Brawl, the power had a 64% chance of *something* going off every time it activated. And if I remember correctly, it had a slim chance of dealing some 300 damage in a single activation. Fire that off more than once every second (using recharge improvements), compounded with resistance debuffs, and it adds up quick. Much quicker than the slower-cycling powers with only slightly less anemic damage output. Issue 24 was going to change all of that, though.

Ok, so reading this I'm guessing Mids assumes average damage from procs. Which means that your baseline is below the all but guaranteed number from the standard chain I used. I see where you're coming from, but you're using precious slots that could be used to shore up survivability on a *chance* for slightly more DPS.
I don't doubt that a Time Mastermind can down an Arch-villain given enough lunar cycles, but that to me doesn't equate to combat effectiveness. When on teams, I would regularly out-damage two in five teammates, and hop from one group to the next while they sat back at a safe distance. Even had one guy say I was "power leveling" him when demonstrating the build. (-: That's quite a bit different from taking 20 seconds every time a Lieutenant comes along, and trial and error got me there with damage procs, not with boosts to damage.

I see the strength of the petless Mastermind as an off-tank/support (built as I did) and a long haul asset. So for AV fights, GM hunts, trials, etc. the contribution will actually be above average as the debuffs compounded w/ raw damage will increase league/team efficiency as a whole. It's also a neat show-offy novelty build which is really the main point, lol.

GuyPerfect

• Mary Poppins
  • Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2012, 06:26:45 PM »
It's also a neat show-offy novelty build which is really the main point, lol.

Don't reveal all the trade secrets!

Minotaur

• Elite Boss
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2012, 06:42:58 PM »
Don't reveal all the trade secrets!

My petless mastermind wasn't the most efficient, since I was constrained by the name as to which set I played, I was Michael Thugless (and Thugless Bader with 2 robotic legs on a different server).

Mister Bison

• Elite Boss
  • *psychotic grin*
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2012, 10:33:40 PM »
I'd like to challenge that, or at least say that Traps was a fair and square contender in this department too, at least against AVs. Given the super-regen-debuffing perma-able poison trap (single-handedly capable of totally cutting off an AV's regen), and the (doubly, at least) stackable Acid Mortar. Plus the best (most powerful, cheapest, not suppressable) +def out there in any secondary. I didn't delve too deeply into Time Manipulation, but Traps, as I compared it to other sets for the corruptor, provided the craziest debuffs in prolonged fights. Plus you could supposedly lay traps (d'oh) given enough time.

But true, that was the least petless set of them all, but what stats did it have.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 10:39:48 PM by Mister Bison »
Yeeessss....

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2012, 12:35:19 PM »
Why is Guy Perfect named Guy Perfect?  Is it because Perfect is better than Dreamy?

GuyPerfect

• Mary Poppins
  • Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2012, 04:50:35 PM »
To address me formally, you would need to call me Mr. Perfect.

Arachnion

• Elite Boss
  • Professional Cynic
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2012, 07:32:34 PM »
Shine on, you crazy diamond!

8)
I'm all dressed up with nowhere to go
Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder

Waiting for an invitation to arrive
Goin' to a party where no one's still alive

Septipheran

« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2012, 08:39:00 PM »

Rereading this I hope you didn't view my comments as too contentious, I was just going for some friendly banter. I really appreciate all you've done/are doing for the community.  :)

corvus1970

• Elite Boss
  • A true ruler is as moral as a Hurricane.
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2012, 06:28:21 PM »
Curt Henning?
... ^o^CORVUS^o^
"...if nothing we do matters, than all that matters is what we do."
http://corvus1970.deviantart.com/