Author Topic: NCsoft Q4 report.  (Read 11844 times)

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
Re: NCsoft Q4 report.
« Reply #40 on: February 12, 2013, 11:33:11 PM »
Bunny ears in the Daicon videos go back to the look of Playboy Club bunnies.  That said the bunny ears on the Asura (the "little short whateveritis") look less silly than on the large Charr (the cat like creature).

And yes Daicon Bunny Girl == super-powered gentleman's club waitress.
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

Xieveral

• Chaotic Neutral
  • Boss
« Reply #41 on: February 13, 2013, 05:23:27 AM »

"Yo dawg, I heard you like ears..."

Regardless of game, wearing costume ears while your actual ears are visible is just tacky
?RSN = CKN(CRS.ROD)

RSN = GLR(EMP.MCL)

Peregrine Falcon

• Lieutenant
« Reply #42 on: February 13, 2013, 06:54:33 AM »
You're not gonna convince me Guild Wars 2 is not a failure just cause it's selling...
Then you're using a different definition of the word 'failure' than the one that appears in the dictionary.

I completely understand the NCSoft hate. Believe it or not, I feel the same way. I play GW2 because my friends and I all thought it was a good game and I'm not interested in trying to punish ArenaNet for the actions of NCSoft. You obviously feel differently and I understand and respect that.

However, you know as well as I do that MMOs are measured in terms of financial success and player retention. GW2 has been reported to be a huge financial success and their player base is reportedly growing. Since you know this to be true then you also know that calling GW2 a failure, using the dictionary definition of that word, is a lie.

Calling your statement a lie isn't an insult or personal attack. By your own admission you're intentionally saying something that you know isn't true. Therefore it's a lie.

I do understand and respect your opinion on NCSoft. I just personally have a problem with people, intentionally or otherwise, spreading untrue information.

I think I've made my point though and won't comment on this further.

- Peace fellow Paragonian -
Paragon City refugee - "We're heroes, it's what we do."

General Idiot

• Elite Boss
« Reply #43 on: February 13, 2013, 07:44:58 AM »
I think the point he's trying to make is not that it's already failed, but that it's a certainty that it's going to fail faster than most MMOs. Which I'm not sure I agree with, personally, but meh.

Perfidus

• Elite Boss
  • "I, ah.. understand."
    • My arts.
« Reply #44 on: February 13, 2013, 10:56:39 AM »
But even that isn't true. FatherXmas showed in numbers and graphs that Guild Wars, while performing above City of Heroes, only did so in a marginal sense. Not a blow out in any way. NCSoft still chose to back a fully funded sequel and continue to keep Guild Wars online.

Yes, I know NCSoft, and that they're jerks. But this much is clear - they feel that ArenaNet and the Guild Wars franchise are an asset. And neither are likely to go away any time soon.

I don't like saying these things, but it's the truth.  I don't want anyone losing their jobs, not now, not ever, so good for ArenaNet at somehow passing some arbitrary measure and making themselves seem to be an asset. Doesn't mean I'll be playing it any time soon, though.

Knight Light

• Lieutenant
« Reply #45 on: February 13, 2013, 04:30:10 PM »
Then you're using a different definition of the word 'failure' than the one that appears in the dictionary.

Maybe, maybe not. Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't believe it can actually be declared a success until its sales pay back what was invested into its development. Has it done that yet? It's Guild Wars 2 so I don't really care enough to bother to check.

Even if it has paid it back, I don't believe the retention rate on GW2 is anything to be proud of. Only time will tell how well it does.

As for their failure being a lie, if you want to apply your dictionary definition then you would have to ask NCSoft if Guild Wars 2 has met their intended objectives. As sales are stronger in the west this quarter than at home, I would bet not but of course I could be wrong.

I do have slightly mixed feelings about this; I do recognise that I do not want more people losing their jobs but on the other hand I do want Guild Wars 2 to rot in the abyss for the rest of eternity.

Guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Peace be with you. It's currently not with me and I know precisely who to blame for it.

Knight Light

• Lieutenant
« Reply #46 on: February 13, 2013, 04:59:20 PM »
Oh and on a sidenote, thank you for understanding and respecting my position however unless NCSoft's decision has irreversibly separated you from someone that means absolutely everything to you, torn a hole in your soul and removed you from the only life path you ever wanted then I think we might be on slightly different levels of hate.

I'd rather not try and quantify your level pain.

MindBlender

• Boss
  • My Main was a healer, wish he was here now.
« Reply #47 on: February 21, 2013, 06:57:24 PM »
Let us also look at MMO sucess in terms of CoH.  Player retention-CHECK...Profitable-CHECK...still they killed it.  Yes, I know there are different ideas about PS being a money drain or PS breaking even, but CoH made money and kept players.
All my computer skill was used up on my Commodore 64 decades ago...