Author Topic: What song are you listening to?  (Read 129030 times)

johnrobey

• Elite Boss
  • CoH global: @Kristoff von Gelmini
Re: What song are you listening to?
« Reply #160 on: April 19, 2013, 12:55:35 PM »
I won't go huntin with you Jake - Jimmy Dean   (My grandpa's favorite song...LOL)
LMAO!!!!  Great song and I'd never heard it before!  Thanks!!!  That was awesome!!!!
"We must be the change we wish to see in the world." -- Mahatma Gandhi         "In every generation there has to be some fool who will speak the truth as he sees it." -- Boris Pasternak
"Where They Have Burned Books They Will End In Burning Human Beings" -- Heinrich Heine

Triplash

• Elite Boss
« Reply #161 on: April 19, 2013, 01:17:01 PM »
I Am a Man of Constant Sorrow - The Soggy Bottom Boys

blackjak

• Elite Boss
« Reply #162 on: April 19, 2013, 05:08:57 PM »
Wasn't sure what to think of James Blake and the indie hype over him, but this video and song is sticking in my head. Superb video, great song. (He reminds me of Cassandra Wilson the deep voiced female jazz singer).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=AlaRjP8pg0Q
Virtue: Moonsun, Dynamo Jr., Crimson Fury, Sabre Kat, Double Sixxes, Quantum Stranger, Mystic Kirin, Pink.Eye Champion: Blackjak, Redwing Blackbird Justice: Shield Marshal Guardian: White Talon Triumph: Gosuto Union: Stellar Girl

johnrobey

• Elite Boss
« Reply #163 on: April 20, 2013, 12:45:30 AM »
Since I was re-reading this thread I have just finished listening to Master Musicians of Jajouka's "Apocalypse across the Sky", Julie Brown singing "I'm a Blonde."    Triplash, while I didn't look up the song, I believe that if I had a soggy bottom, I too might be a man of constant sorrow.   Instead I took myself down Memory Lane, mostly via Steeleye Span, chortling over their "New York Girls" song and others until stopping at "Saucy Sailor" to share with you guys here:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlkI677q-FE
"We must be the change we wish to see in the world." -- Mahatma Gandhi         "In every generation there has to be some fool who will speak the truth as he sees it." -- Boris Pasternak
"Where They Have Burned Books They Will End In Burning Human Beings" -- Heinrich Heine

Triplash

• Elite Boss
« Reply #164 on: April 20, 2013, 02:29:25 PM »
Triplash, while I didn't look up the song, I believe that if I had a soggy bottom, I too might be a man of constant sorrow.

Oh, you sure would be a man of constant sorrow. You'd see trouble all your days.
You'd even bid farewell to old Kentucky, the place where you were born and raised.
The place where youuuuuuu were born and raised.

O Link, Where Art Thou?

healix

• Elite Boss
  • Every good friend was once a stranger
« Reply #165 on: April 21, 2013, 03:31:18 AM »
Listen to the 'mustn'ts'. Listen to the 'don'ts'. Listen to the 'shouldn'ts', the 'impossibles', the 'won'ts'. Listen to the 'you'll never haves', then listen close to me... Anything can happen . Anything can be.

Floride

• Elite Boss
  • Badgehunter Extraordinaire
« Reply #166 on: April 21, 2013, 03:40:14 AM »
Icon - Night of the Crime (on CD)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Night_of_the_Crime
History shows again and again
How nature points out the folly of men

johnrobey

• Elite Boss
« Reply #167 on: April 21, 2013, 12:28:41 PM »
Oh, you sure would be a man of constant sorrow. You'd see trouble all your days.
You'd even bid farewell to old Kentucky, the place where you were born and raised.
The place where youuuuuuu were born and raised.

O Link, Where Art Thou?
Thou art AWESOME, Triplash!!!!   Thanks for the link, since I had totally forgotten this song, the band's name but NOT that incredible movie!!!!  It's true, tho, Nobody Knows The Trouble I've (We've) Seen!  (I happen to like this version by Louis Armstrong....  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHFveRxXfM4   )

johnrobey

• Elite Boss
« Reply #168 on: April 21, 2013, 12:36:53 PM »
I owe Healix' and Floride's songs a spin when I get back (got those early Sunday a.m. plans, ya know) but thanks to YouTube I am now listening to this and hope you might also enjoy "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" as performed by Israel IZ Kamakawiwo'ole (man, I hope I spelled that correctly)  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1bFr2SWP1I  Enjoy!!!   :)

blackjak

• Elite Boss
« Reply #169 on: April 21, 2013, 06:02:14 PM »
Thou art AWESOME, Triplash!!!!   Thanks for the link, since I had totally forgotten this song, the band's name but NOT that incredible movie!!!!  It's true, tho, Nobody Knows The Trouble I've (We've) Seen!  (I happen to like this version by Louis Armstrong....  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHFveRxXfM4   )
If you've never seen the movie, it is a must see. Star studded and funny as heck.

Insurrection At Newtown- Chris Whitley
Virtue: Moonsun, Dynamo Jr., Crimson Fury, Sabre Kat, Double Sixxes, Quantum Stranger, Mystic Kirin, Pink.Eye Champion: Blackjak, Redwing Blackbird Justice: Shield Marshal Guardian: White Talon Triumph: Gosuto Union: Stellar Girl

healix

• Elite Boss
  • Every good friend was once a stranger
« Reply #170 on: April 22, 2013, 10:13:58 PM »
Ain't Nobody -Chaka Khan
Listen to the 'mustn'ts'. Listen to the 'don'ts'. Listen to the 'shouldn'ts', the 'impossibles', the 'won'ts'. Listen to the 'you'll never haves', then listen close to me... Anything can happen . Anything can be.

blackjak

• Elite Boss
« Reply #171 on: April 23, 2013, 01:11:58 AM »
Never, Never Gonna Give You Up- Barry White

Awwwwww Yeaaaaaahhhh...

Triplash

• Elite Boss
« Reply #172 on: April 25, 2013, 10:25:21 AM »

Heroette

• Elite Boss
  • Penelope Pistol lives forever in my heart.
« Reply #173 on: April 25, 2013, 03:15:05 PM »
"Star Trek" Theme on the John Williams station on Pandora.

houtex

• Elite Boss
  • I was the turkey all along! MEE!
« Reply #174 on: April 25, 2013, 03:39:37 PM »
I used both John Williams and Jerry Goldsmith as seeds for Pandora.  The variety is pretty good it comes up with!

/Now I have Explorers soundtrack going on in my head.  Jerry was the man.  So is John, sure, but Jerry... he did some STUFF, man...

Heroette

• Elite Boss
  • Penelope Pistol lives forever in my heart.
« Reply #175 on: April 25, 2013, 05:16:18 PM »
And now its "Superman" by John Williams.

johnrobey

• Elite Boss
« Reply #176 on: April 26, 2013, 03:07:38 PM »
"The Way We Were" by Barbra Streisand - and it's Houtex's fault from the Word Association thread!   ;D

This version btw if any would be interested: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VhNaXV8K4U

P.S.  there are some GOOD tunes in this thread!  Yay for Barry White in particular!!!!   8)

Fifth

• Underling
« Reply #177 on: April 27, 2013, 01:58:28 AM »
The Recluse's Web by OminousVoice (OMG the pang of grief over the end of CoH was unbearable today..so I decided to be more active on Titan >.>)

johnrobey

• Elite Boss
« Reply #178 on: April 27, 2013, 06:44:44 PM »
The Recluse's Web by OminousVoice (OMG the pang of grief over the end of CoH was unbearable today..so I decided to be more active on Titan >.>)
Re: being more active on Titan: Good!    8)  Re: pangs of grief, we are all there with you in spirit!  I spoke with one of my CoH buddies by phone last night who like me is disabled and he was glad that neither of us is letting our friendship drop just because we can't log in, and while his Mac won't play DDO (where some of our SG mates went), my gaming anhedonia is such that I just don't enjoy any computer games at all any more.  (Thanks, NCSoft!  You've given me a lot more free time for non-MMO activities, as well as saving me my monthly subscription fee.)  Anyway, ReplicatorFifth, Titan Network is definitely the place to cheer up!!!   We have games, silliness, commiseration sessions, constructive fan-action, and probably soon virtual Costume Competitions from the clever kewl kids who know how to import images and get their costume creator, demorecord etc to sit up and do tricks.  Me, I am low tech, but I marvel and appreciate so much what fans here offer and share with one another in humor and goodwill as well as the incredible technical accomplishments.  (Okay, maybe I am not qualified to use the word "incredible" but from where I sit at my keyboard, it might as well be magic what these I.T.-savvy wizards of all ages can do.)

On to the O.P.  Among the music that cheers me up is this:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-XBqOqHDsg  When I was, like 9 years old, I would listen to this and imagine myself as a superhero flying, shooting energy bolts, etc. and performing other acts of derring-do usually against the backdrop of whatever recent original series Star Trek episode I had seen, or films, like Planet of the Apes (i especially liked fighting the "bad guy" gorillas in that movie alongside Charleton Heston's Taylor character, tho in my imagination, unlike Taylor, I was fully clothed, had a cape, and wore rollerskates, even tho I could fly, and rescued him regularly from their nets when, in memory, he got to the line "Take your hands off me, you filthy ape!")  Anyway, another good song, imo, for the active imagination is from Side Two and the final cut on Wendy Carlos' Switched On Bach album.  This early Moog synthesizer may sound rough and loud by today's refined standards; however, if you let it, i bet you can also envision yourself flying with or without lights streaming or flashing by.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6I33iW1kmw   LOL, i bet like a lot of people, i invented in my head what Walt Disney showed us in the film Fantasia--only I didn't see Fantasia until I was in college.   Happy memories of happy daydreams!  Enjoy!  :)

johnrobey

• Elite Boss
« Reply #179 on: April 29, 2013, 01:24:39 PM »
It's all Triplash's fault (from this thread http://www.cohtitan.com/forum/index.php/topic,7270.msg115750.html#msg115750 wherein I keyed in on the word Blue) and hence am now listening to this:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9C1vJ2Z8aI0 "Am I Blue" by Hoagy Carmichael with Lauren Bacall from To Have and Have Not.