Author Topic: 10 year old MMO resurrection and possible Hail Mary target if needed  (Read 4157 times)

Adrenalin

• Lieutenant
This came up on one of the CoX related Facebook groups today: http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/12/13/turbine-brings-back-asherons-call-2/

After I did some digging I found out that Turbine is owned by Warner Bros. Might be worth aiming for if the Mouse passes.

mikoroshi

• Boss
  • Author, Owner of Dogs
    • My Twitter
Re: 10 year old MMO resurrection and possible Hail Mary target if needed
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2012, 02:56:24 AM »
Warner has DC and therefore DCUO, though...
If you see me posting here, you need to tell me to stop it and get back to writing.

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2012, 03:32:30 AM »
Warner has DC and therefore DCUO, though...

DCUO has the same limitation as the Marvel games.  You get some customization (not much) but you are also ALWAYS playing as the sidekick to one of the Big Guns.

So don't worry, Warner is on the list.  We're just working our way down.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

mikoroshi

• Boss
  • Author, Owner of Dogs
    • My Twitter
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2012, 03:33:53 AM »
DCUO has the same limitation as the Marvel games.  You get some customization (not much) but you are also ALWAYS playing as the sidekick to one of the Big Guns.

So don't worry, Warner is on the list.  We're just working our way down.

I think I played it for 10 minutes, so I wouldn't know.
If you see me posting here, you need to tell me to stop it and get back to writing.

Thunder Glove

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2012, 03:51:57 AM »
As I understand it (because I haven't played it), it also dictates your background for you.  Every player character, regardless of powers or alignment, has the same origin story: "alien nanotechnology from the future".

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2012, 04:00:05 AM »
As I understand it (because I haven't played it), it also dictates your background for you.  Every player character, regardless of powers or alignment, has the same origin story: "alien nanotechnology from the future".

???

Lame
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

mikoroshi

• Boss
  • Author, Owner of Dogs
    • My Twitter
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2012, 04:06:53 AM »
Dang.  I wanted to make my guy be the orphaned son of two Kryptonian green lanterns who were killed walking in an alley by mongul.  then he trained for 15 years to become the space-bat-man.

and then the planet exploded.

beveri8469

• Boss
  • still inside atlas park hospital waiting to leave
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2012, 04:08:09 AM »
Got a lifetime sub for DCUO and i can tell ya, i quit playing a long time ago. imo the game has potential, but the controls stink very badly.
that turned me off after trying it for awhile.
@Eternal Twilight
Now in Paragon

Kistulot

• Elite Boss
  • Argentum Weritas Est!
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2012, 04:11:06 AM »
???

Lame

It gets lamer.

This all happened because Lex Luthor won, and then was unhappy with how aliens or something were going to destroy the world so he went back in time to try to fix it all.

In other words...

Mender Silos came back in time with the Well of the Furies.

Cricket.

Cricket.
Woo! - Argent Girl

corvus1970

• Elite Boss
  • A true ruler is as moral as a Hurricane.
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2012, 05:52:00 AM »
I've been playing DCUO, and yes, the who Exobyte-Nanotech-Whatzit explination is indeed lamesauce. Also lame, the limited costume editor and "archetype" selections. I like the way it handles super-speed and the way the flight animations are handled, but aside from that I prefer the CoX game-play.

Granted, I have made a semi-decent version of Avatar of RA over there that I like playing, but it doesn't draw me in like CoH, and I enjoy it in spite of the back-story, not because of it. Its cool to "rub elbows" with the likes of Superman, Wonder-Woman, Batman, etc, but its a novelty that eventually wears off.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 09:19:55 PM by corvus1970 »
... ^o^CORVUS^o^
"...if nothing we do matters, than all that matters is what we do."
http://corvus1970.deviantart.com/

healix

• Elite Boss
  • Every good friend was once a stranger
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2012, 07:41:46 AM »
I tried DCUO a few months back while on a visit in California. The control/movement was so awful I couldn't stand it. I am so spoiled on CoH....
Listen to the 'mustn'ts'. Listen to the 'don'ts'. Listen to the 'shouldn'ts', the 'impossibles', the 'won'ts'. Listen to the 'you'll never haves', then listen close to me... Anything can happen . Anything can be.

WolfSoul

• Lieutenant
    • Writing portfolio
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2012, 09:15:50 PM »
I tried DCUE twice. And I can't tell you how much I hate the controls. First, the camera. Why can I not get it to stay at my back and turn with me? Second, why does a guy whose power is "Hand Blasting" have to be in melee range for the blast to reach?  DCUO can *&^&E#(#*(#)  !!!

No. Thanks.

Septipheran

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2012, 10:00:46 PM »
I've tried DCUO also, in fact I left it installed on my computer for about a month and a half and logged in for probably an hour total time over that period. The power selection is severely, severely limited. The costume creator has next to no flexibility whatsoever. The production quality is very high, the graphics are good  and I think the combat is engaging, but it's next to impossible for me to remember the controls. They picked a really awkward way to reinvent the wheel, and "fixed" a lot of stuff that wasn't broken in the first place. Whenever I logged in I spent about half the time trying to relearn which buttons did what. The stale parts of MMO's like skill trees and grind quests were not refined or improved upon whatsoever, but perfectly normal things like say, having a mouse cursor to navigate the UI were randomly removed.

tl;dr I don't like DCUO.

Dollmistress

• Underling
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2012, 12:05:49 AM »
but perfectly normal things like say, having a mouse cursor to navigate the UI were randomly removed.

I could have overlooked the terrible catch-all backstory, the limited customization and the bizarre combat system, but the lack of a mouse cursor ruined DCUO for me. Like a lot of people, I tried it out at launch, got a character to max level since it was stupidly easy/quick to do so, then left within a month, returning to CoX.

The only vaguely interesting aspect of the game is finding and trying out new equipment drops, purely to see what they look like and gradually gain some semblance of varied appearance options.

Arachnion

• Elite Boss
  • Professional Cynic
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2012, 12:09:18 AM »
DCUO has no mouse cursor? What?

Truly unforgivable.

:o
I'm all dressed up with nowhere to go
Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder

Waiting for an invitation to arrive
Goin' to a party where no one's still alive

corvus1970

• Elite Boss
  • A true ruler is as moral as a Hurricane.
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2012, 12:54:51 AM »
Yup. There are some glaring weaknesses in its control-scheme, and that's probably the most egregious example.
... ^o^CORVUS^o^
"...if nothing we do matters, than all that matters is what we do."
http://corvus1970.deviantart.com/

Samuel Tow

• Elite Boss
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2012, 01:38:20 PM »

Well, to be fair, it's not alone in this. The much-vaunted Secret World has your origin as either "swallowed magic bee" or "received magic blowjob" or a third option I'm not aware of. Yeah, it sounds funny, and it is... Once. Unless the game intends for me to only ever make a single character, that just doesn't fly.

Weird how almost all other MMOs all but expect you to make one single character and then invest your entire time playing the game into it. I miss having a whole roster of very unique ones, personally.
Of all the things I've lost,
I think I miss my mind the most.

Kistulot

• Elite Boss
  • Argentum Weritas Est!
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2012, 06:11:57 PM »
Weird how almost all other MMOs all but expect you to make one single character and then invest your entire time playing the game into it. I miss having a whole roster of very unique ones, personally.

What's funny is that I'm the sort of player with mainitis, and yet these games still don't appeal to me. All of my toons with an exception here or there were variations on the same character - and there werent that many alts either. Yet I still felt more appealed to by CoH than by other games with more content designed around the thought of you being a one character player.
Woo! - Argent Girl

Night-Hawk07

• Elite Boss
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2012, 06:21:47 PM »
Keep in mind, DCUO is a console port. That would be at least one reason why the combat and control scheme is so weird.

I could tolerate the game more if there was more soloable stuff to do, but at least in beta, once you hit the 20s there wasn't anything to do that wasn't either multiplayer dungeons, raids, or PvP. I would also like to be able to go from 1-30 in one city, and not have to constantly hop around between Metropolis and Gotham. I will say though, in their next content update DCUO will be adding personal hideouts, so hopefully that's a sign of more RPG style content on the way.