Author Topic: Asherons Call 2 Coming back. Never, EVER give up hope.  (Read 12361 times)

Randomvector

• Lieutenant
Asherons Call 2 Coming back. Never, EVER give up hope.
« on: December 13, 2012, 09:34:27 PM »
Asherons call which was closed in 2005 is returning.

What does this mean for us?

It measn there is ALWAYS hope.

Keep your spirits up.

Source:
http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/12/13/turbine-brings-back-asherons-call-2/

Starsman

• Elite Boss
Re: Asherons Call 2 Coming back. Never, EVER give up hope.
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2012, 09:47:07 PM »
 :o
For the sake of the community: please stop the cultural "research" in your attempt to put blame on the game's cancelation.

It's sickening to see the community sink that low. It's worse to see the community does not get it.

I'm signing off and taking a break, blindly hope things change.

PartyKake

• Minion
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2012, 09:48:31 PM »
Grr! You beat me to the punch! Hang on I'll delete my thread and re-post it here.

------------\

massively.joystiq.com/2012/12/13/turbine-brings-back-asherons-call-2/

Granted it's not City of Heroes related PER SE, but I think we can all take a little time out of our day to offer some congratulations to a developer who made the fantastic leap to restore the existence of a game that was killed back in the day - there are quite a few AC2 players who will be very excited to hear this, and others who might need to get the word.

If City of Heroes is restored soon (as we all hope) I'd want to get the same treatment myself. So let's foster some good karma and channel some positive energy into the gaming community and spread the word that...

When a game company restores an MMO to working status they should be rewarded!

-----------------/

Okay now how do I delete a thread?

Starsman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2012, 09:50:53 PM »
Think only way to delete your thread will be to "report" yourself and ask for a mod to remove it or lock it.
For the sake of the community: please stop the cultural "research" in your attempt to put blame on the game's cancelation.

It's sickening to see the community sink that low. It's worse to see the community does not get it.

Starsman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2012, 09:58:24 PM »
I think this goes without saying, but with the huge success Turbine had with F2P in Lord of The Rings Online and D&D Online, I figured this was something they should have aimed for next. It's an "easy" way to do many things at once:

• Please old fans
  • Add another MMO to their catalog
  • Profits!!!

My guess is it will be in beta for a while longer, tied in to AC1 for billing, and once they feel they got their toolset in place to update/maintain/expand the game they will get working on fremiunize the game. Once that is through they will relaunch as a full F2P title.

In the process, I think AC1 will see a spike in activations but drop in activity :P

Nafaustu

• Boss
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2012, 10:08:47 PM »
I was one of these players.   I -liked- AC2...it was soloable and the crafting was decent, if a bit grindy.   I might have to sprinkle this ressurection team with reward for good behaviour money.   I -like- voting with my wallet.

EDIT:
I found a link from AC2's closure, it struck a familiar cord.   I thought i'd share it with you all.
http://www.wired.com/gaming/gamingreviews/commentary/games/2005/12/69848?currentPage=all
« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 10:21:37 PM by Nafaustu »

Kistulot

• Elite Boss
  • Argentum Weritas Est!
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2012, 10:57:58 PM »
Woo! I recomend someone who feels like they have the time and knows AC2 and CoH go over to their community site once its all set up and welcome them into our movement.
Woo! - Argent Girl

Yoru-hime

• Minion
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2012, 12:06:23 AM »
I saw this and assumed it was a badly mistimed April Fools Joke at first.

I'm actually subscribed to AC at the moment (I ran back to an old game rather than looking for a new one when the apocalypse hit), so I'll probably DL it and try it out. Haven't played since beta and I know a lot has changed.

Colette

• Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2012, 04:04:39 AM »
Haven't played it, but I remember reading about the closure, a transcript of the final moments of the server. It made me feel sad, and dread the day it might happen to City of Heroes.

This is a very good omen! In fact, y'know what, folks...? We're gonna win this.  :D
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 04:22:21 AM by Colette »

Starsman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2012, 05:50:56 AM »
Haven't played it, but I remember reading about the closure, a transcript of the final moments of the server. It made me feel sad, and dread the day it might happen to City of Heroes.

This is a very good omen! In fact, y'know what, folks...? We're gonna win this.  :D

Yip, if this is any indication, CoH should be back on track 7 years from now!  :P

Colette

• Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2012, 06:37:31 AM »
I'll take that over "never."

Ice Knight

• Underling
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2012, 10:00:17 PM »
I just got home from work saw the news about AC2 in my inbox, decided to stop lurking and make a post here and its already up.  So instead I will stop lurking and post anyway  :)  There is always hope, hopefully it wont be nearly as long for COH. 

Perfidus

• Elite Boss
  • "I, ah.. understand."
    • My arts.
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2012, 10:19:28 PM »
This is awesome news. I'm going to reach out to the publisher and the community and express my well wishes.

(and maybe slip a little #SaveCoH stuff in there somewhere... of course...)

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2012, 10:27:34 PM »
Cool stuff. That goes to show, even after 7 going on 8 years, never give p hope. Stick it out through thick and thin and we'll get there. This is not going to be a sprint but an endurance race, or not even a race per se for that matter. No matter how long it takes, cross that finish line and it will be well worth it. The greatest form of defeat is quitting.

Segev

• Plan Z: Interim Producer
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2012, 10:30:45 PM »
Meanwhile, I think it would be a worthy investment of whatever their monthly subscription fee is for Save CoHers to subscribe to the first month of AC2, and log in to congratulate the dedicated fans thereof and help them have as wonderful an experience as the CoH community was for us. Be supportive, be friendly, and above all, let the people running that game know how much we appreciate this sign of hope that an MMO can be revived.

Des_Tructive

• Lieutenant
  • SLAP!
    • Meta - Superhuman Covert Ops (german)
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2012, 12:25:27 PM »
I was even thinking of paying the subscription fee for one month and not even logging in. I'm sure there's some sort of feedback form that allows us to explain why we did it.
CoX: @DeS Tructive
TSW: BloodyCarrie; HrFaust; TheContact

Lucretia MacEvil

« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2012, 04:42:58 PM »
Yip, if this is any indication, CoH should be back on track 7 years from now!  :P

And I will most definitely be there!

So let's foster some good karma and channel some positive energy into the gaming community and spread the word that...

When a game company restores an MMO to working status they should be rewarded!

Definitely.
And by that I mean both "we should spread the word" and "we should help reward this company".

healix

• Elite Boss
  • Every good friend was once a stranger
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2012, 04:32:14 PM »
Listen to the 'mustn'ts'. Listen to the 'don'ts'. Listen to the 'shouldn'ts', the 'impossibles', the 'won'ts'. Listen to the 'you'll never haves', then listen close to me... Anything can happen . Anything can be.

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2012, 08:19:53 PM »
This is completely different.  The company that owned and closed down AC2 is opening it back up again but only to players who are subscribing to AC.

How many of you diehards who want "To crush NCSoft, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their stockholders" would return to CoH if they reopen it but only to subscribers of say Blade & Soul?  Any of you?  Of course not, the hate is too strong in all of you.
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

Yoru-hime

• Minion
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2012, 09:04:46 PM »
My dislike of NCSoft is based entirely on their business practices. If those change to the point that they'd reactivate CoH, why wouldn't I reconsider my position?

I deem your scenario very unlikely, of course, and really supporting AC2 does more to show other investors that the CoH IP still has value, but if there was a major shakeup at NCSoft and an effort was made to correct past mistakes, I'd at least be listening.

Sorry, you're clearly spoiling for a fight, but maybe not everyone is as unreasonable as you seem to think.

Moving the thread back on topic:

Does anyone who has ever played this game know of a good site for information on it? I'm hopelessly lost without a decent wiki.

Surelle

« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2012, 10:42:58 PM »
This is completely different.  The company that owned and closed down AC2 is opening it back up again but only to players who are subscribing to AC.

How many of you diehards who want "To crush NCSoft, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their stockholders" would return to CoH if they reopen it but only to subscribers of say Blade & Soul?  Any of you?  Of course not, the hate is too strong in all of you.

Actually, the most different thing about this situation is really that Turbine owns the rights to its own game and saw fit to rez it.  There was no "NCSoft" to argue with, or cough up millions to just to get the chance to rez the game.

But I'm still glad for those players, and I'm actually wondering why it took them so long to bring it back.  One lone server with sparse updating really isn't hard to perpetuate.  Ask Vanguard players (and I say that with all due respect, as SOE just rebuilt the Vanguard team and is not only updating that game now but has re-launched it as a F2P-- but it ran on one server with no updates for several years prior.  Hey, at least SOE had the good grace not to shut them down altogether; even their Mac version of EQ1, which has hardly any players at all, is still up).
« Last Edit: December 16, 2012, 11:16:40 PM by Surelle »

Golden Ace

• Boss
  • Moon Zone Damn it!
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2012, 10:44:41 PM »
took them 7 years though... :(

Illusionss

• Elite Boss
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2012, 11:16:45 PM »

Of course I would buy Bits and Tits, if that got me access to CoX.

Now, am I going to actually PLAY B&T? Will I be buying stuff from their cash shop? Oh hell no, of course not. But do what it takes, within reason, to get back into the City? You better believe it, especially something as simple as that.

Hearing the lamentations of their women would be great, though. What can I say, I loved to play villains :p
« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 08:14:25 PM by Illusionss »

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2012, 11:54:22 PM »
My dislike of NCSoft is based entirely on their business practices. If those change to the point that they'd reactivate CoH, why wouldn't I reconsider my position?

I deem your scenario very unlikely, of course, and really supporting AC2 does more to show other investors that the CoH IP still has value, but if there was a major shakeup at NCSoft and an effort was made to correct past mistakes, I'd at least be listening.

Sorry, you're clearly spoiling for a fight, but maybe not everyone is as unreasonable as you seem to think.

Moving the thread back on topic:

Does anyone who has ever played this game know of a good site for information on it? I'm hopelessly lost without a decent wiki.
I'm hardly spoiling for a fight but their are a lot of "death to NCSoft" vibes throughout this forum and I was simply pointing out this isn't a case of a closed MMO coming back via a different company but the original company but only for players of one other of their MMOs.  If Turbine granted a third party to run a server that would be a story we could rally behind.

As it is, I just remember the thread on the old forums asking if you would come back in NCSoft reversed their decision and there was significantly more "nevers" than "sures" and this AC2 resurrection is just that but with the caveat of being a current monthly subscriber to the original AC.

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2012, 01:58:38 AM »
I'm hardly spoiling for a fight but their are a lot of "death to NCSoft" vibes throughout this forum and I was simply pointing out this isn't a case of a closed MMO coming back via a different company but the original company but only for players of one other of their MMOs.  If Turbine granted a third party to run a server that would be a story we could rally behind.

As it is, I just remember the thread on the old forums asking if you would come back in NCSoft reversed their decision and there was significantly more "nevers" than "sures" and this AC2 resurrection is just that but with the caveat of being a current monthly subscriber to the original AC.

Fixed that for ya.

This is Titan, not the "old forums," which from Sept 1 on became significantly overrun with redcaps, unicorns, manitcores and gorgons, with the occasional kelpie and pukka thrown in for good measure.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2012, 02:35:53 AM »
We have a thread devoted to rooting NCSoft stock down.  I'll say there's still a lot people schadenfreud...ing NCSoft.  I can't believe that they would put their feelings aside for a CoH resurrection under the auspices of NCSoft even if they didn't require us to shove some money toward, lets say B&S to prop up its numbers when it hits the NA.

Ideally, I would like to see the IP at some other studio.  Next would be a spiritual successor inspired by CoH.  In either case with some of the original dev talent behind it.

Edit: some days my ability to spell is worse than others ... on others it's my typing.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 05:22:27 AM by FatherXmas »

healix

• Elite Boss
  • Every good friend was once a stranger
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2012, 02:47:20 AM »

Ideally, I would like to see the IP at some other studio.  Next would be a spiritual successor inspired by CoH.  In either case with some of the original dev talent behind it.

The two best possible outcomes, the first being my hearfelt wish for.
Listen to the 'mustn'ts'. Listen to the 'don'ts'. Listen to the 'shouldn'ts', the 'impossibles', the 'won'ts'. Listen to the 'you'll never haves', then listen close to me... Anything can happen . Anything can be.

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2012, 03:07:47 AM »
We have a thread devoted to routing NCSoft stock down.  I'll say there's still a lot people schadenfreud...ing NCSoft.  I can't believe that they would put their feelings aside for a CoH resurrection under the auspices of NCSoft even if they didn't require us to shove some money toward, lets say B&S to prop up its numbers when it hits the NA.

I think a lot would depend on if a miracle occurred, the heavens opened, great rays of light blasted the NCSoft HQ and they actually realized what they'd done to their player base and they admitted how wrong they had been.  Then proceeded to make good on that, rehired as many of the old devs as they could and put some serious money into rebuilding and advertising of CoH.

Likely?  I think it far likelier that ice levels in the Arctic will return overnight to the state they were in 1900.  Or Hell will freeze over, whichever comes first.  But I'm open to miracles, and it is always possible for a company or a person to redeem itself, if it is actually sincere and committed to doing so.

However there are not nearly so many people over here on Titan interested in destroying NCSoft as you might think.  Most of it is venting, and given that we are now into week three of The Loss, I think some venting is justified.

My preference, frankly.  I think NCSoft has proven itself to be a lousy steward of the properties it holds, and it appears from the reports of loud BOOS! in at least two theaters this weekend where NCSoft put ads for Guild Wars 2 preceding The Hobbit, the rest of the gaming world is figuring that out too.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

corvus1970

• Elite Boss
  • A true ruler is as moral as a Hurricane.
« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2012, 03:08:21 AM »

... ^o^CORVUS^o^
"...if nothing we do matters, than all that matters is what we do."
http://corvus1970.deviantart.com/

Starsman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2012, 05:26:17 PM »

I think you are oversimplifying the issue with AC2.

AC2 was first owned by Microsoft, and had a horrible startup in large part due to MS. The entire "chat engine" was created and managed by MS and servers constantly crashing (try to play CoH with only /local as your sole chat tool.) Things got changed a lot after they bought themselves out of Microsoft but by then it was too late for AC2. The game reached a point where you really would log in and there would be just 7 peps in some servers.

F2P was also not considered an option at the time, heck I don't think even server mergers were considered an option. So they pulled the plug on the game shortly after the first expansion (that failed to do anything for the community.) Actually got a lot to give these guys, they spent the money to develop and ship a box to stores in an attempt to revitalize a game that anyone else would have simply shut down.

Today F2P is a viable thing, and for now the game has been returned in a beta state. The restriction to only be playable for AC1 players is very likely in place only to limit the number of players during the beta period. Expect this to go F2P once they have finished all their beta testing and engine updates (I would expect them to somehow update at least the server to the current DCUO/DDO version, since they are all running on the same engine.)

Comparing the case of Turbine's handling of AC2 is a far cry from NCSoft's handling of Champions. The closest parallel you could ever drive would have been if they allowed Paragon Studios to buy themselves back and go independent, then, while Paragon Studios was on its own they were forced to shut down due to low profits.

But that's not what happened, that is what many here are wishing happened.

Would I go back to CoH if NCSoft reactivated it? My last answer to that question is "I would likely only do so to quit on my own terms". Today: I think I would not. I am finally starting to cope with the loss. Besides, it's insanely likely they will get way fewer players after a re-launch, and then they will be all full of self-righteousness when they pull the plug again.

Then again... I still have not been able to bring myself to close the launcher on my Mac...

Edit: just a note, for me, 15 bucks a month is not a big deal. I likely would pay it if Paragon Studios managed to resurface as an independent studio and managed to get the game back up, even if I did not play much and even if they were not able to restore characters, I still would support them and give them the 15 bucks a month.

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2012, 08:27:10 PM »
But the underlying facts are still true.

1) It was Turbine who shut AC2 down.
2) It is Turbine who reopened AC2.

As for F2P, Turbine IMO is the father/mother of the conversion from subscription to F2P.  If they are going to give the same treatment to AC2 then I'm sure they will do a good job at it.  However every article I've seen hasn't described this resurrection as a beta of things to come but as a bonus to AC players.

Starsman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2012, 08:36:40 PM »
But the underlying facts are still true.

1) It was Turbine who shut AC2 down.
2) It is Turbine who reopened AC2.

NCSoft hate is not "because they shut down CoH" it's because of how they did it and the completely BS reason ("realignment") they had.

As for F2P, Turbine IMO is the father/mother of the conversion from subscription to F2P.  If they are going to give the same treatment to AC2 then I'm sure they will do a good job at it.  However every article I've seen hasn't described this resurrection as a beta of things to come but as a bonus to AC players.

The original forum post where Turbine made the announcement, clearly called it a beta. They used the word "beta" 5 times in that post. (4 in the body, the forum section itself is called "Asheron's Call 2 Beta Forums"

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
« Reply #32 on: December 17, 2012, 09:02:23 PM »
NCSoft hate is not "because they shut down CoH" it's because of how they did it and the completely BS reason ("realignment") they had.
And a non-BS reason would have made it all better?  It's obvious now that the "realignment" had everything to do with this new western subsidiary they launched last week and they didn't want Paragon and it's baby to be part of it.  Would it have been better if they enumerated why they no longer wanted CoH?  Dated graphics, no block/dodge/action game mechanic (both GW2 and Wildstar has one), no decent PvP aspect ... and it wasn't marketable in Asia.  Would that have been better than just saying "realignment"?

The original forum post where Turbine made the announcement, clearly called it a beta. They used the word "beta" 5 times in that post. (4 in the body, the forum section itself is called "Asheron's Call 2 Beta Forums"
Well I didn't dive into another games forum but I did read the news from several MMO gaming sites and those reports didn't mention it was a beta.

Segev

• Plan Z: Interim Producer
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #33 on: December 17, 2012, 09:05:05 PM »
It would have been better if they'd spun off Paragon as its own entity, and treated the people running that studio like professionals who might have wanted to buy their company and its IP to keep working on it. As far as we know, NCSoft does not have any intention of monetizing the IPs on which Paragon was working. Maybe they do, but they've so poisoned the well that they likely can't anymore. So it seems just plain bad business as well as stupid PR.

Starsman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #34 on: December 17, 2012, 09:21:14 PM »
And a non-BS reason would have made it all better?

The only reason that would have made it acceptable would have been "game is losing more money than it's making".

Telling the truth, very clearly, as to why it was being canceled may also have helped (mindy you, I have a feeling the truth would have lured greater levels of anger.)

It's obvious now that the "realignment" had everything to do with this new western subsidiary they launched last week and they didn't want Paragon and it's baby to be part of it.

As Arcanavilled basically said: the entire subsidary thing is just a tax accountant thing and I dare bet has zero to do with the entire "realignment".

Would it have been better if they enumerated why they no longer wanted CoH?  Dated graphics, no block/dodge/action game mechanic (both GW2 and Wildstar has one), no decent PvP aspect ... and it wasn't marketable in Asia.  Would that have been better than just saying "realignment"?

If the game still made money (and it WAS making money,) none of those are valid reasons to close shop.

Well I didn't dive into another games forum but I did read the news from several MMO gaming sites and those reports didn't mention it was a beta.

The news all over the place are just rephracing of that forum post, they all also link back to the same forum post. Interestingly, though, other than the one forum post, Turbine has not made any public press release.

This may be an experiment, it may fail, and if it fails it may just be again shut down. A lot of stuff can go completely incompatible after 7 years. Clients and servers both may require more work than expected to get everything back working smoothly (and if you go into that forum ou will see they are having their big share of issues getting things running smoothly and lag free on both ends.)

Little Green Frog

• Boss
  • @Little Green Frog
« Reply #35 on: December 17, 2012, 10:18:56 PM »
The only reason that would have made it acceptable would have been "game is losing more money than it's making".

Telling the truth, very clearly, as to why it was being canceled may also have helped (mindy you, I have a feeling the truth would have lured greater levels of anger.)

As Arcanavilled basically said: the entire subsidary thing is just a tax accountant thing and I dare bet has zero to do with the entire "realignment".

If the game still made money (and it WAS making money,) none of those are valid reasons to close shop.

Well, the thing is we have absolutely no clue as to what really happened. There are many possible reasons that are much more compelling than a simple "the game made money, but we'll close it out of malice anyway". For example here's one that I find quite entertaining:

In 2004 Marvel sues Cryptic on copyright and trademark grounds. The suit has been settled, but the public never learned what were the terms. All was good, though. We could enjoy our game and Marvel has even chosen Cryptic to develop an MMO for them.

Fast-forward a few years. Marvel is acquired by Disney, while also becoming the highest-grossing movie franchise (says Wikipedia citing this source). It doesn't take long for Disney to start trying to capitalize on this success by releasing superhero flavored games of their own. The ones released thus far aren't true MMOs and probably can't be considered competion, but maybe a more traditional multiplayer RPG is also planned or at least pondered.

Enter City of Heroes. Despite its age, it still has a firm grasp on the market and not even DCUO with its venerable IP behind it is able to shake its position. Plus there is also CO. This niche is simply too saturated. So what does Disney do? It dusts the old settlement off and starts giving NCsoft the look.

Now NCsoft has had a brush with the US legal system before and lost sizeable amounts of money as a result. They were asking for it, sure, but it remains true that they were burned by it painfully. And now they may be on the eve of yet another legal nightmare with a ten ton legal gorilla poised against them, fighting on its own home turf. What are the chances? Plus the subject is an eight year game that may be a gem and which is still profitable, but not by a large margin. And it so happens that they are also in the midst of realigning their western subsidiaries. The route of least resistance for NCsoft would now be to close all the operations and seal the IP, so it doesn't attract any more problems and just give the whole thing a rest. It's no longer worth the effort in their opinion. There will be some outcry from the most dedicated fans, but it all should be manageable.

The studio behind the game suddenly becomes a hot potato too, as not only at least half of their staff, head management included, is still actively working on CoH, but they are also actively pitching CoH2 - a game that would attract the same kind of trouble. It makes sense to let them go as well. And there. This problem solved. Only gazillion others, diving stock price included, to go.

Did this really happen? Hardly likely. However it illustrates my point - until we know all the facts, we can't really be sure why the closure happened. And claiming with certainty that it was a simple spite or a whim is just as unfounded as my conspiracy theory above. It happened. For reasons. We don't know them, but they are there.

Starsman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #36 on: December 17, 2012, 10:30:16 PM »
Did this really happen? Hardly likely. However it illustrates my point - until we know all the facts, we can't really be sure why the closure happened. And claiming with certainty that it was a simple spite or a whim is just as unfounded as my conspiracy theory above. It happened. For reasons. We don't know them, but they are there.

You may notice my previos post lacks any conspiracy theories. I simply guess if we were to know the truth we would be angrier, and that guess is based of the fact that there is next to no reason to obscure the logic if it was something people would not be upset about.

I am 99.99% sure it has nothing to do with Cryptic's settlement with Marvel. That was a settlement exclusively between Cryptic and Marvel that also resulted in a failed coolaboration attempt to get Marvel Online done by Cryptic. Cryptic as a legal entity still exists and has no relationship with NCSoft. I am 99.99% certain no clause in that settlement was transfered to NCSoft or Paragon Studios.

Also, CoH2 pitches where not a current thing. They were the long past and there was already work being done on Secret Project that had nothing to do with CoH.

Little Green Frog

• Boss
  • @Little Green Frog
« Reply #37 on: December 17, 2012, 10:36:25 PM »
I wrote my wild speculation with a tongue in cheek. It shouldn't be taken too seriously or as a jab at your point of view. More like at the general sentiment on the forums, that NCsoft is eeeeevil (and derpy) and simply wanted to do us harm while shooting themselves in athe foot at the same time.

Twisted Toon

• New Efforts # 13,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #38 on: December 18, 2012, 01:21:58 AM »
I wrote my wild speculation with a tongue in cheek. It shouldn't be taken too seriously or as a jab at your point of view. More like at the general sentiment on the forums, that NCsoft is eeeeevil (and derpy) and simply wanted to do us harm while shooting themselves in athe foot at the same time.

I don't think they're evil. I just think they're flat out stupid.

I also would, cautiously, give them another chance if they were to try to sincerely attempt to correct the situation that they have gotten themselves into to the benefit of everyone, and not just their bank accounts.
Hope never abandons you, you abandon it. - George Weinberg

Hope ... is not a feeling; it is something you do. - Katherine Paterson

Nobody really cares if you're miserable, so you might as well be happy. - Cynthia Nelms

Quinch

« Reply #39 on: December 18, 2012, 04:11:34 AM »
We have a thread devoted to rooting NCSoft stock down.  I'll say there's still a lot people schadenfreud...ing NCSoft.

Personally, I'd much rather not have a reason to pay any attention to NCsoft in the first place. My only interest in them is through CoH's fate - firstly, the schadenfreude of their tanking stock is reminiscent of seeing a bully going through the karmic consequences of his abuses, and secondly, because of the assumption it reflects the pressure NCsoft is under to change the way it makes its decisions, and ideally the one about sequestering CoH. Once its survival is assured, my view of NCsoft will likely reset to ambivalence - I won't cheer their enterprises, but I won't kick them while they're down either. They're simply not worth the effort.

Knightslayer

• Elite Boss
    • Monster Game!
« Reply #40 on: December 18, 2012, 02:16:46 PM »
Heart warming news, makes me wish Turbine came out with CoH back in the day instead of NCSoft =/