Author Topic: Let's play word association!  (Read 104687 times)

healix

• Elite Boss
  • Every good friend was once a stranger
Re: Let's play word association!
« Reply #260 on: April 22, 2013, 10:27:21 PM »
Charlton Heston (Jim Carey did a great impression of him...)
Listen to the 'mustn'ts'. Listen to the 'don'ts'. Listen to the 'shouldn'ts', the 'impossibles', the 'won'ts'. Listen to the 'you'll never haves', then listen close to me... Anything can happen . Anything can be.

houtex

• Elite Boss
  • I was the turkey all along! MEE!
« Reply #261 on: April 23, 2013, 01:34:30 AM »
Grassburrs and Stickers.

Well, ok, admittedly, it's a family thing, but my sister's answers for trivia questions, when she was a kid, was always "OOH I know!" and then either:

Grassburrs
Stickers
or Charlton Heston.

It was adorably hilarious.  We still bring it out now and then.

/So... yeah, that's how I got there. :)

Merseine

• Boss
« Reply #262 on: April 23, 2013, 01:53:14 AM »
Huckle Buckle Beanstalk!

OK....so now MY family weirdness comes out.

When we were kids, we played a "hide the thimble (or other small object) in plain sight" game that we called Huckle Buckle Beanstalk.  Everyone but the person hiding the thimble would troop out of the room, the hiding happened, and then we all came back in looking high and low for the thimble.  When you found it, you were *supposed* to wait until you were a bit away from the hiding spot, call out...what else?..."Huckle Buckle Beanstalk!!" and throw yourself on home base (usually the couch).  Last one to hit home lost and had to hide it the next round. 

What that has transformed into now that my husband and I are not in our 20s any more (*cough-cough49cough-cough*) (and this is the last day I can say THAT)....is that when we're looking for those lost keys or the phone that has run down on battery so you can't just call it to find it....when we DO find whatever it is we're looking for, we say it's been Beanstalked.

No one else understands us, but we do.
/em holdtorch

Triplash

• Elite Boss
« Reply #263 on: April 23, 2013, 02:45:10 AM »
(*cough-cough49cough-cough*) (and this is the last day I can say THAT)

Happy birthday! :D

Also... you guys are weeeird. :P

..... No wonder I feel at home around here! ;D

johnrobey

• Elite Boss
  • CoH global: @Kristoff von Gelmini
« Reply #264 on: April 23, 2013, 02:43:04 PM »
Huckle Buckle Beanstalk!

OK....so now MY family weirdness comes out.

When we were kids, we played a "hide the thimble (or other small object) in plain sight" game that we called Huckle Buckle Beanstalk.  Everyone but the person hiding the thimble would troop out of the room, the hiding happened, and then we all came back in looking high and low for the thimble.  When you found it, you were *supposed* to wait until you were a bit away from the hiding spot, call out...what else?..."Huckle Buckle Beanstalk!!" and throw yourself on home base (usually the couch).  Last one to hit home lost and had to hide it the next round. 

What that has transformed into now that my husband and I are not in our 20s any more (*cough-cough49cough-cough*) (and this is the last day I can say THAT)....is that when we're looking for those lost keys or the phone that has run down on battery so you can't just call it to find it....when we DO find whatever it is we're looking for, we say it's been Beanstalked.

No one else understands us, but we do.
********HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY,  MERSEINE!!!!!*********   And congratulations on reaching 50th level IRLTM.  (Congrats also on not doing the "49 & Holding" routine; that's fine for those who are into it but I think it is even more excellent to simply be one's actual age, whatever that number happens to be.)  I feel certain that anyone who plays Huckle Buckle Beanstalk is not limited by mere chronological numbers!  Vive la Weird!  Despite all the hype and marketing, it's been pretty well demonstrated that while "normal" people are nice enough, often it's the stranger, weirder ones who are even more interesting. Have a BEAUTIFUL BIRTHDAY CELEBRATION!!!!!!!!! (and remember not to stop celebrating!) *wink*     [insert here some cool quote by Auntie Mame.]
"We must be the change we wish to see in the world." -- Mahatma Gandhi         "In every generation there has to be some fool who will speak the truth as he sees it." -- Boris Pasternak
"Where They Have Burned Books They Will End In Burning Human Beings" -- Heinrich Heine

Triplash

• Elite Boss
« Reply #265 on: April 23, 2013, 04:09:37 PM »
And congratulations on reaching 50th level IRLTM.

*gasp* Ohmigosh that's right... Merseine dinged 50! CONGO RATS!!! :D

(Congrats also on not doing the "49 & Holding" routine;

Very much this. However, if next year you'd like to call it 50+1 ... I believe that would be acceptable ;D

Merseine

• Boss
« Reply #266 on: April 23, 2013, 06:39:24 PM »
Thanks you guys - you made me ROFL so hard, I was glad the beverage was safely in the cup next to me!

So now that I've dinged 50...does that mean I'm now working on Incarnate missions?   8)

And just to share how I'm spending my b-day:  I'm a "book giver" for World Book Night.  http://www.us.worldbooknight.org/  I gave out 20 copies of Fahrenheit 451 this morning.  I did this last year (Wintergirls by Laurie Halse Anderson) and it is SO fun to give out presents on your own birthday.  I highly recommend it!
/em holdtorch

Triplash

• Elite Boss
« Reply #267 on: April 23, 2013, 07:28:19 PM »
Thanks you guys - you made me ROFL so hard, I was glad the beverage was safely in the cup next to me!

Oooh... you're lucky I didn't do that thing I do. See I've had this one friend since junior high, and whenever we're laughing and carrying on I always seem to get to the funny part just as he's taking a drink. Inevitably whatever he's drinking ends up shooting out his nose. Water, milk, apple juice... other things... (I've never once tried it, I swear! I just have a knack it seems.) The first time it happened was back around '90-'91 and he still hasn't forgiven me for it. Apparently that Pepsi stuff burns when you get it up your nose. :-\

And just to share how I'm spending my b-day:  I'm a "book giver" for World Book Night.  http://www.us.worldbooknight.org/  I gave out 20 copies of Fahrenheit 451 this morning.  I did this last year (Wintergirls by Laurie Halse Anderson) and it is SO fun to give out presents on your own birthday.  I highly recommend it!

That sounds really cool! I'll have to give it a try. Shoot, and my birthday's right around the corner too. It's this coming October! :D

houtex

• Elite Boss
« Reply #268 on: April 24, 2013, 01:40:52 AM »
Indeed, Happy 29.6 Billion Miles Traveled!  See ya in another 592 Million Miles!

/592M Miles: This is an approximation of your sitting on your butt at a median of 30 degrees latitude for a year, and then adding the movement of the Earth around the Sun in that year.
//There's more... and it's all right here: http://forums.themustangsource.com/f649/how-small-we-really-but-man-do-we-move-499697/  Yep, that's me the Mustang driver. :D

johnrobey

• Elite Boss
« Reply #269 on: April 24, 2013, 05:09:45 AM »
BWAHAHA!!!!!  'Twas your Birthday luck that saved you and that beverage from mishap!!!!  You may (or may not) be so lucky next time, Hero!   ;)
So now that I've dinged 50...does that mean I'm now working on Incarnate missions?   8) 
Dear Merseine, IRL by 50, if not before, you are TOTALLY Incarnate!!!!   Evil-doers had better hope they don't cross your path!!  (Conversely, if you are enjoying Red Sided fun, then muahaha! those goody two-shoes Bluesiders had best take care or else hope they don't have occasion to fly into your creatively evil genius designs, either on purpose or by accident!)
In all seriousness, what a beautiful idea!   How completely AWESOME!!!!!    :)
"We must be the change we wish to see in the world." -- Mahatma Gandhi         "In every generation there has to be some fool who will speak the truth as he sees it." -- Boris Pasternak
"Where They Have Burned Books They Will End In Burning Human Beings" -- Heinrich Heine

johnrobey

• Elite Boss
« Reply #270 on: April 24, 2013, 05:18:15 AM »
Apparently that Pepsi stuff burns when you get it up your nose. :-\
There are worse things than Pepsi, you know.   Oops, was that my Out Loud voice again?!   :D
That sounds really cool! I'll have to give it a try. Shoot, and my birthday's right around the corner too. It's this coming October! :D
Soon to be Happy Birthday to you as well, Triplash!  Maybe we should start a Happy Birthday thread.  Mine's in September.  I am hoping Healix will bake me a cake.  (Evil grin, since I know Healix has this amazing cartoon graphic of an extreme candle-illuminated birthday cake that appears to put lesser celestial bodies to shame with respect to luminosity.)   ;D

houtex

• Elite Boss
« Reply #271 on: April 25, 2013, 03:20:07 AM »
Aaand now I have "Same Time, Next Year", the movie, in my head.  Guess which part of John's post put it there.

/Yes, indeed, the memory is weird in this one...

johnrobey

• Elite Boss
« Reply #272 on: April 25, 2013, 04:19:07 PM »
Aaand now I have "Same Time, Next Year", the movie, in my head.  Guess which part of John's post put it there.

/Yes, indeed, the memory is weird in this one...
Alan Alda! Alan Alda and Ellen Burstyn!!  Gosh, I haven't seen nor thought about that movie for years!  But I remember thinking it was a really cool film, and so maybe I should watch it again!

Hi Houtex!!!!  I like your weird mind and memory!  And now guess what is going thru my mind... ?
(not so subtle hint as if of a brick fallling) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvO3-DJLT5Y   ;D

houtex

• Elite Boss
« Reply #273 on: April 26, 2013, 01:32:30 AM »

johnrobey

• Elite Boss
« Reply #274 on: April 26, 2013, 03:28:29 PM »
LOL and Hi, Houtex!!!!  Love that "GIR: HI!" on youtube!  Also thanks for the memories!  Due to that I  had to posted an update to what song I was listening to, thus in addition to the Ren & Stimpy and I gotta say thanks for the misty water colored memories, like the colors of my mind....  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VhNaXV8K4U  It appears I am not the only one who remembers 1973.   ;)

Merseine

• Boss
« Reply #275 on: April 26, 2013, 06:48:41 PM »
Speaking of 1973, this song was on the charts that year, even though the movie was a few years before that.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qswm7lHp7oY
/em holdtorch

johnrobey

• Elite Boss
« Reply #276 on: April 27, 2013, 06:06:24 PM »
Speaking of 1973, this song was on the charts that year, even though the movie was a few years before that.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qswm7lHp7oY
I remember that song, Mersiene; and it's just a powerful now as when I first heard it on the radio as a kid.  Gosh, "One Tin Soldier" associates so much for me, it's hard to pick just one associated memory, much less one that has lyrical meaning as significant.   I mean, just imagine if the Valley people had realized/thought of themselves as the spiritual brothers of the people of the Hill?  Ah well, so here is my association in Black & White:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0e4kDXsM6lk

houtex

• Elite Boss
« Reply #277 on: April 29, 2013, 02:07:10 AM »
And now the Three Dog Night song reminded me of this.  I don't get my brain either.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUdy0Cu3f_o&t=1m23s

/And I don't get the reason the music was chosen for this trailer... Supernova didn't really match that.  Weirdo producers.
//I liked Supernova... although it was really hokey, sure, it was fun. :)

johnrobey

• Elite Boss
« Reply #278 on: April 29, 2013, 02:43:25 AM »
I won't pretend to understand how your mind works either, Houtex!  However, your recent post associates for me to....
In Space No One Can Hear You Scream a.k.a. the film ALIEN!!!!!!!

(It was either that or else Disney's The Blue Bathtub Drain*, I mean, The Black Hole, so naturally I opted for ALIEN!!!!! )
*note: this idea originated here http://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/the-black-hole-1979, not with me.

Triplash

• Elite Boss
« Reply #279 on: April 29, 2013, 07:18:30 AM »
Okay, so "Blue Bathtub Drain" and "Black Hole" got mixed up with "Alien" in my head to produce "Creature From The Blue Lagoon". And no, not the Black Lagoon... Creature From The Blue Lagoon. As in, Brooke Shields waking up on the beach with bedhead and morning breath and sand crusted into the dried up drool running down her chin and cranky cause she got a crick in her neck from sleeping on a rock. *shudders* Man, that's one scary sight..... :-\