Author Topic: The Secret World/Secret World Legends  (Read 156478 times)

Tanglefoe

• Lieutenant
Re: The Secret World
« Reply #40 on: December 21, 2012, 06:21:48 AM »
I've been playing this game hard the past couple of days.  I got my 30 mission points earlier today that I blew on some aviators and a cool green coat.  I'm actially enjoying my Assault Rifle/Hammer build (with a few points blown into shotgun for the starter commando deck).  I have only left Kingsmouth to do the Into The Darkness mission, then went back to Kingsmouth where I am still comfortable.  I saw some people recruiting for a Polaris mission earlier.  They were recruiting "newbie friendly".  Is this something I should get into?  So far I am using mostly QL2-QL3 gear.  Other than that, I don't have any idea where I should go next or when I should leave Kingsmouth. 

BTW I am on the Grimm server with an Illuminati character named Bob GIBOB Robert.  If there is any Cabal for former CoH players or at least a CoH Survivors channel to chat, let me know.  I'd like to join. 
« Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 05:01:51 PM by Tanglefoe »

cptbarcode

• Minion
« Reply #41 on: December 21, 2012, 10:40:51 PM »
QL2-3 should be fine for a normal Polaris; the boss loot in there is supposed to be QL3 blue. I've only done that one once myself, but it's fun.

After Kingsmouth, the next stop is west up the coast to Savage Coast, which Into the Darkness probably took you into. That is typically QL4-5, and after SC the action moves to Blue Mountain (QL5-6) to finish up the Solomon Island zones. After Solomon Island is Egypt, and after Egypt comes Transylvania.

I'm only a few missions into Blue Mountain myself, on Arcadia server; MollyHatchet, a hammer/chaos build. There is a CoH-Refugees chat channel, details in the newcomers forum. (Due to the bad implementation of global channels there, you need to resubscribe every time you log in, so a script is recommended.)

Risha

• Boss
  • Dancing at the end of the World
Re: The Secret World, Extremely Frustrated
« Reply #42 on: December 25, 2012, 06:14:05 AM »
I got a box, and created 2 characters, thought I'd like one of each cabal.  But when I went to create the third, I could NOT get a nickname that would work.  Either it isn't accepted as a word (Stormgard), or everything I think of is taken -- and you can't log in a character without a nickname.  That is SO stupid.  At Least COH let us massage names if someone else had the first one (Equinocks).  Does anyone have any take on this?

Also, I know I'm a noobie there, but to be told to go to the Mission Hint Channel, then shout your question into the void with no answer is not helpful.  I'm supposed to check out a half-eaten corpse.  How?  I click on the corpse, nothing, I click on "U" (sort of like glowies), nothing.

I can't tell you how frustrated I am with this game, with people who won't help.
Writer of Fantasy and Fantasy Romance

Xieveral

• Chaotic Neutral
  • Boss
Re: The Secret World, Extremely Frustrated
« Reply #43 on: December 25, 2012, 09:04:46 AM »
I got a box, and created 2 characters, thought I'd like one of each cabal.  But when I went to create the third, I could NOT get a nickname that would work.  Either it isn't accepted as a word (Stormgard), or everything I think of is taken -- and you can't log in a character without a nickname.  That is SO stupid.  At Least COH let us massage names if someone else had the first one (Equinocks).  Does anyone have any take on this?

Also, I know I'm a noobie there, but to be told to go to the Mission Hint Channel, then shout your question into the void with no answer is not helpful.  I'm supposed to check out a half-eaten corpse.  How?  I click on the corpse, nothing, I click on "U" (sort of like glowies), nothing.

I can't tell you how frustrated I am with this game, with people who won't help.

A lot of "click" mission objectives are bugged and require GM assistance, changing instances (shout in global for an invite to change instances) or waiting to try again after maintenance. They're not the greatest solutions but they're the only options most of the time :(
?RSN = CKN(CRS.ROD)

RSN = GLR(EMP.MCL)

Risha

• Boss
Re: The Secret World, Cabal groups and Servers?
« Reply #44 on: December 26, 2012, 03:31:43 PM »
All right.  The glitch seemed to be mine in the Nickname thing.  The problem is you have a Name (which actually means nothing), and a Nickname, and you can't get in without a Nickname so if you have a glitch like I did, that's a bad problem.  Spent about an hour and a half yesterday resetting the game, talking to support, etc.

However the content IS very rich.  I found the Dragon opening interesting with raised eyebrows, the Templar okay with fun fake sets of London, and the Illuminati just scary, but I have my 3 characters.

How many characters are you allowed?

Since I'm so lower level, if there are cabals and server groups out there, can you all please post?  I don't mind deleting anyone except my Dragon on Cerebrus.  I have a Templar on Acadia(?), which is the RP server, and my Illuminati somewhere else, Daemon, I think.

I am a 1 mmog player, and I will be playing this until the COX new options or old game comes back.  I really miss being a GOOD HERO.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2012, 03:52:32 PM by Risha »

JWBullfrog

• Elite Boss
  • I didn't leave Paragon City. They threw me out!
« Reply #45 on: December 26, 2012, 06:23:36 PM »
we've been poking about in TSW here as well.
As far as I can tell, you can only have 3 characters currently. I have seen mentions of character slots available in the store but I can never seem to find them.

As long as somebody keeps making up stories for it, the City isn't gone.

Tanglefoe

• Lieutenant
« Reply #46 on: December 26, 2012, 08:26:59 PM »
This morning I got the old giant monster feel with a giant group of people taking down a the Harbinger in Savage Coast.  League of Monster Slayers mission was pretty cool.  Aparentlty emotes in this game are required to complete certain missions.  Also, I ditched the AR/Hammer build for an AR/Elemental build that I am currently working out.  Going for serious DPS but what's cool about this game is if I don't like it, I can always go back to tanking with a hammer build.  I also discovered the auction house this morning and got a serious upgrade to most of my gear for very cheap.  Still having difficulty with some missions in Savage Coast and am running missions in Kingsmouth as timers run out.

Would be cool if people voted for TSW for best new MMO on that site we are voting CoH for that CTA.  Every day I vote CoH in its categories then I vote TSW for best new MMO.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2012, 08:39:40 PM by Tanglefoe »

saipaman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #47 on: December 26, 2012, 11:22:37 PM »
I wish they would improve the jump animation. 

saipaman

• Elite Boss
Re: The Secret World, Cabal groups and Servers?
« Reply #48 on: December 26, 2012, 11:24:51 PM »
All right.  The glitch seemed to be mine in the Nickname thing.  The problem is you have a Name (which actually means nothing), and a Nickname, and you can't get in without a Nickname so if you have a glitch like I did, that's a bad problem.

I had problems with the nickname as well.  In the end, my one character ended up with the nickname 'stupidfield' because that was how I was feeling about it at the time.

Risha

• Boss
Re: The Secret World, Jump and Movement
« Reply #49 on: December 27, 2012, 05:56:40 PM »
I am so bad at this so far (and I was aces in COH, could land almost anywhere, turn on a dime in combat to angle my hits), that the missions that need good movement (Horror Show and the Tunnels after the siren song), are impossible for me.  I am dying a whole lot more (I think), than I did in COH, and the distances to travel back are hideously slow -- like hosping in Atlas from the Hollows, only the run is slower.  The no levels confuse me, I have no clue how I am doing, where I should be at, and I haven't gotten the invention (assembly) system down at all, so am running around in puny armor or stuff I find.

Does anyone know how to move attacks around on the bar?  Equip/slot?  I have an effing flame thrower I can't seem to equip and until I test it, I can't finish that mission.  I want to put my first attacks from Elemental and Shotgun together instead of spaced...

As for the costume creator, I could spend hours on that in COH, not here, so that will cut down on my game time, just as well right now.

: ???  Mostly confused.
Robin

Dollhouse

• Boss
  • "What will happen? Will I dream?"
Re: The Secret World, Jump and Movement
« Reply #50 on: December 27, 2012, 06:10:36 PM »
I am so bad at this so far (and I was aces in COH, could land almost anywhere, turn on a dime in combat to angle my hits), that the missions that need good movement (Horror Show and the Tunnels after the siren song), are impossible for me.  I am dying a whole lot more (I think), than I did in COH, and the distances to travel back are hideously slow -- like hosping in Atlas from the Hollows, only the run is slower.  The no levels confuse me, I have no clue how I am doing, where I should be at, and I haven't gotten the invention (assembly) system down at all, so am running around in puny armor or stuff I find.

Does anyone know how to move attacks around on the bar?  Equip/slot?  I have an effing flame thrower I can't seem to equip and until I test it, I can't finish that mission.  I want to put my first attacks from Elemental and Shotgun together instead of spaced...

As for the costume creator, I could spend hours on that in COH, not here, so that will cut down on my game time, just as well right now.

: ???  Mostly confused.
Robin

You can equip weapons and talismans by right-clicking them in your inventory. This will cause them to occupy the appropriate slot in your equipped items window (viewable with the C key). If you have the equipped items window open, you can also drag them into the appropriate slot. If there's something in there already, it will be moved into your inventory (I key).  If you find a higher QL weapon, you might not be able to use it until you spend Skill Points (K key) in its skill category.

You can move abilities around in the bar in the Ability window (N key), but not in the main GUI.

One of the best ways to get a handle on crafting (which you will really want to do) is to run the two missions from "Moose" (in Kingsmouth, in the little compound surrounding the Sheriff's office. The first is basically a mini-tutorial on crafting...and you get a nice little upgraded weapon that's a good jump up from the starter one. I'd also suggest googling up some TSW crafter guides and bookmarking them. It's nice to have a quick way to look at patterns.

Character movement in TSW (or any other MMO) takes some acclimation time for anyone coming from CoH, the undisputed best ever MMO in terms of smoothness and realistic physics. It certainly did for me, and the problem was compounded for me at first by having an under-spec computer...I was getting truly horrible framerates. I have a new machine now, and it's pretty smooth.  My suggestion is to keep practicing movement (some later missions require some fairly tricky maneuvering), try not to think about how much better CoH was in that area, and it'll come to you.

Feel free to contact me in-game (StraightRed or FixiePixie, both on Arcadia, although you can PM and even team with people on any shard), even if you are a filthy Templar or Dragon...  ;D
« Last Edit: December 28, 2012, 06:32:00 PM by Dollhouse »

Risha

• Boss
« Reply #51 on: December 28, 2012, 06:55:11 PM »
Thanks a lot, Dollhouse.  Right now I have to live in the world I'm creating for readers or will be late with my book, but I will look up the patterns, and though I love my Templar on Arcadia, I may move her somewhere else and my Illuminati from Daemon to Arcadia -- I've really only gotten 1 toon up to Savage Coast, the rest haven't even hit Kingsmouth yet.

Thanks again,
Robin

saipaman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #52 on: January 02, 2013, 08:36:42 PM »
After five weeks of playing TSW, I finally had my first teaming experience.  Good fun!

Allotrion

• Underling
« Reply #53 on: January 04, 2013, 03:59:36 PM »
After five weeks of playing TSW, I finally had my first teaming experience.  Good fun!

I've only had 2 teaming experiences and both were positive experiences.  I took part in a Polaris Dungeon run with my Cabal mates, whom I may add have been very supportive of "newbies".  I joined them on a whim when they were broadcast recruiting and to their credit, I haven't regretted joining them one bit. 

The other group experience was out of frustration because I couldn't get past a certain quest.  I died 8-10 times back to back before I saw someone else trying to complete the same quest.  I sent a tell, joined up with him, and easily beat that quest, and 3-4 quests thereafter.  He is now on my friends list.

I will say that I disliked soloing in CoH, 9 out of 10 times I would start up my own radio or tip team.  But I'm finding TSW so engaging that I don't mind soloing at all.  I actually listen to the NPC dialogues, read all the clues, it's fascinating.

saipaman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #54 on: January 05, 2013, 01:30:51 AM »
I did 'Polaris' with an excellent team leader nicknamed 'Cabal-Bank'.

I have no idea if he/she was a CoX player, but he gave out the kind of instructions that I've come to expect.  For example, 'No AoEs here'.

I have noticed that about TSW.  It's almost ridiculously easy for a duo, much less a team.

General Idiot

• Elite Boss
« Reply #55 on: January 05, 2013, 04:21:26 AM »
It's almost ridiculously easy for a duo, much less a team.

Like all non-CoH games, it has content designed to be soloed and content designed for teams. The former is pretty much everything outside of dungeons.

Dollhouse

• Boss
  • "What will happen? Will I dream?"
« Reply #56 on: January 06, 2013, 03:00:21 PM »
Like all non-CoH games, it has content designed to be soloed and content designed for teams. The former is pretty much everything outside of dungeons.

Yep...dungeons and lairs basically require teams (although you can solo lair minions and LTs...and there's an awesome video of a guy solo'ing a Polaris Normal dungeon). Missions can always be solo'd. You will, however, have to have a deck (build) in place that works against the mission obstacles for the more difficult ones or if you're trying something aimed at a higher QL (Quality Level) than you've reached with your skills and gear.

But that's part of the beauty of the TSW character system: you start building up a pretty broad selection of skills and abilities (and gear) pretty fast, and you can swap stuff out any time you're not engaged in combat. The ability to save the decks you've built to be recalled with a couple of clicks makes it pretty seamless. I have two "mains," and both of them tend to alternate between a "team role" deck that specializes in a single aspect and a solo'ing deck that's a good bit more balanced between damage output and survivability. The latter can manage most any mission solo (although not always without a trip or three to the nearest anima well, TSW's version of hosping!).

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #57 on: January 08, 2013, 08:04:24 PM »
I know this kind of is off-topic, but it's still TSW-related.

I had a charge on my account on Saturday. I've submitted two support tickets (the first was deleted because the link that is sent in the auto-reply does, in fact, delete the ticket, rather than taking you to a page with options; my bad) asking why I was charged if the game is now free to play, but I have yet to hear back. I have not had a chance to do my own digging, but I will be this afternoon.
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #58 on: January 08, 2013, 08:07:28 PM »
TSW still has a subscription option. If you didn't cancel it, you'd get charged for it.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #59 on: January 08, 2013, 08:39:09 PM »
Well, that's friggin' fabulous. Now, I really have to look into this. It's not like there was a lot in that game to take away for "free" players...

I guess I'll have something to report in about a month.
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."