Author Topic: The Secret World/Secret World Legends  (Read 158629 times)

damienray

• Lieutenant
Re: The Secret World
« Reply #300 on: June 14, 2015, 09:56:47 PM »
Disappointed with TSW. I've totally screwed up on what abilities to pick, can't stay alive long enough to defeat a soggy newspaper & can't respect... sux.

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #301 on: June 14, 2015, 10:00:10 PM »
Disappointed with TSW. I've totally screwed up on what abilities to pick, can't stay alive long enough to defeat a soggy newspaper & can't respect... sux.
how far are you in game? If you just started I would recommend delete and restart, however, if you are a bit further it might worth mentioning there is no bad power picks, over time you will get all the powers in game. Again it depends on how far you are if you want to reroll.
One day the Phoenix will rise again.

ricodah

• Boss
« Reply #302 on: June 14, 2015, 10:47:39 PM »

Just keep plugging away.  In the end the whole wheel will unlock anyways.  Sooner or later you would have unlocked those abilities no matter how crappy they are. 

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #303 on: June 15, 2015, 01:54:54 AM »
Go back to Kingsmouth Town and redo quests there. (Almost all quests are repeatable on a daily-or-more basis.) There's no way you can die repeatedly back there. Once you're comfortable there, move on again.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

damienray

• Lieutenant
« Reply #304 on: June 15, 2015, 03:41:27 PM »
Thanks for the replies - can anyone tell me, where exactly do you go to find your equipped stuff after you are defeated??  I've tried going back to the spot I died, but nothing there.  Is there someone I have to "talk" to after each defeat?

Exxar

• Lieutenant
« Reply #305 on: June 15, 2015, 04:20:54 PM »
The what? I don't recall losing your stuff after being defeated. You die, respawn at an anima well and carry on.

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #306 on: June 15, 2015, 05:46:00 PM »
The what? I don't recall losing your stuff after being defeated. You die, respawn at an anima well and carry on.
this is right, when you die you accrue sort of a death penalty. Usually 10% of all your gear every time you die after 5 deaths you should see a wrench on the bottom right. That is the indicator to fix your gear. Another way depending on where you died you could run back to your body.
@damienray a suggestion get a auto heal such as lick your wounds that could help you.

General Idiot

• Elite Boss
« Reply #307 on: June 20, 2015, 04:19:50 AM »
Your gear takes 10% damage every time you die, no matter whether you resurrect at the anima well or run back. The only time it doesn't is if you die in PvP or to a trap in a stealth mission. To repair it, go to any vendor and there'll be a repair tab in addition to buy and sell.

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #308 on: June 20, 2015, 08:03:08 PM »
Your gear takes 10% damage every time you die, no matter whether you resurrect at the anima well or run back. The only time it doesn't is if you die in PvP or to a trap in a stealth mission. To repair it, go to any vendor and there'll be a repair tab in addition to buy and sell.
Also don't forget that gear does not take damage when you get one shotted.

damienray

• Lieutenant
« Reply #309 on: June 21, 2015, 07:51:40 PM »
Thanks for the advice.  Is there a chat channel for CoHer's on TSW? Also any... uh... what are they called there... Cabels I can join?

Angry Angel

• Underling
« Reply #310 on: August 03, 2015, 01:56:36 AM »
Today felt like City of Heroes! We were achievement hunting (badging) in City of the Sun God. Our friend, Taiver, was tanking a lair boss while we killed the baby scorpions it spawns. The screenshots made me laugh, thinking that our tank looked like a villain-side Mastermind, summing its horde... and our raid was a brave team of heroes. Ah, City, I miss you everyday.

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #311 on: August 03, 2015, 04:19:14 PM »
anyone want to team up for the last two missions in Kaiden? I finished up the underground assault mission, now I am looking for one or two people to help me with the final two missions. I will be back home round 4:30 pm est.

ricodah

• Boss

saipaman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #313 on: August 11, 2015, 10:50:18 PM »
Thankfully, I've learned the lesson NCSoft wanted to teach us ... don't get attached.

chuckv3

• Elite Boss
« Reply #314 on: August 13, 2015, 06:36:30 PM »
I played for about two months, then flamed out.

PROs:
- The graphics, sounds and controls are all top-notch, and I didn't notice any glaring bugs.
- The stories and puzzles in the low levels are creative, unique, and require lots of thought, intuitive guessing, or a guide.
- you can buy ALL the powers on one character and switch between different builds any time (with very tolerable cool-down rules)
- Combat mechanics and movements are very similar to CoH.
- Motorcycles! Although this is really just "sprint 6" with different graphics. If riding hogs is not your thing, you can use "sprint 6" and not lose any speed.
- It's free to play, and there's nothing you really need to spend real money on to play the game (and there are no significant pay-to-win items either)
- They have a published API that allows user-written extensions for many functions. You can download (or create) add-ons that have access to everything except attacks and movements. The exisintg crafting and battle stats add-ons are very nice, and the auto-bracelet-switcher is a life-saver (see below about bracelets).
- Most of the content can be done solo. The exceptions are the dungeons and hazard zones, but none of these are required to progress.

CONSs:
- the costumes are very limited to start, and too many options must be purchased (either game currency or real money). But look what I'm comparing it to... The best there ever was...
- the "ability points" and "skill points" curve is VERY steep. When you get to 50% of the abilities or skills (count wise -- this is the number you see), you'll think you are progressing nicely, then realize you only have 3% of them point-wise. This is just the typical MMO achievement curve (the further you go it requires more time/effort/cost for the next step), but it's exaggerated too much. And there are hidden things you unlock later that are even worse (augments, shields, auxiliary weapons and skills).
- the end game is definitely a gear grind, with folks repeating the easiest 3 or 4 dungeons over and over in order to get gear and upgrade drops. Teams are limited to 5 players, and the only effective team for the dungeons is tank/healer/dps/dps/dps. ALL OF THEM.
- There is no fly, super-jump or teleport. There is only sprinting, and the highest level you can buy ("sprint 6") is not as fast as super-speed was in CoH (subjectively it seems about half as fast)
- There is simply no way to get end-game gear solo. You must do 5-man teams of the above arrangement.
- The player community is not very friendly.
- There are really only 4 tiers (2 or 3 zones each), but the skill gap between them is huge. You'll get very overpowered, beat the gatekeeper boss (solo -- there's no option to team on these), unlock the new zone, go there and get your ass very quickly handed to you by the first mob you encounter. It's choppy for the 2nd and 3rd tier, then they really punish your success...
- the 4th level-unlock tier (Kaidan) introduces you to the concept of shields. You start with none, and all the bad guys have them. You must use bracelets to break down the enemy shields. You do ZERO actual damage until their shields are gone. You do missions to earn bracelets, each of which converts only a very small amount to reduce enemy shields (I think you start at 2% or something). So it takes 1 or 2 minutes before you can even START damaging a minion-level mob. Meanwhile they are damaging you, no problem at all. To make it worse, there are 3 colors of shields, and you must don the same color bracelet, or you're back to doing zero damage. AND - the only way to upgrade a bracelet to be more effective (levels 1.0 through 1.9) is to... defeat hundreds of enemies. In other words: grind! Some mobs have 2 or 3 shields, and you have to take them out in order. At least it's easy to see which color shield is up on everything.
- In the higher levels and dungeons, 80% of your focus must be on dodging projections (AoE indicators) on the floor. Only the tanker and healer will survive ONE HIT. The healer must focus 100% on the tank, so the 3 DPS team members will be one-shotted by everything on the map, even having one toe hanging over the edge of an AoE. To me this was just endlessly frustrating, and by no means challenging or fun. I want to fight, not dodge puddles.

Those last two points are why I haven't even logged on in about a month. It's just too much of a grind against over-powered enemies, and what I've seen of the end-game is just a gear grind in which one is puddle-dodging. And I don't see the point of doing the dungeons only to become better equipped to do the same dungeons.

It sounds really negative, I know, but I REALLY DID enjoy the first 3 tiers of the game, enough to pay for the lifetime sub (which really only gets you a regular deposit of game bucks to be spent on DLC and fluff)

Bottom line: The first 2 or 3 tiers are definitely fun, challenging and at the right price, but right about at tier 4 it turns into a death march of grinding.

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #315 on: August 13, 2015, 08:26:35 PM »
I played for about two months, then flamed out.

PROs:
- The graphics, sounds and controls are all top-notch, and I didn't notice any glaring bugs.
- The stories and puzzles in the low levels are creative, unique, and require lots of thought, intuitive guessing, or a guide.
- you can buy ALL the powers on one character and switch between different builds any time (with very tolerable cool-down rules)
- Combat mechanics and movements are very similar to CoH.
- Motorcycles! Although this is really just "sprint 6" with different graphics. If riding hogs is not your thing, you can use "sprint 6" and not lose any speed.
- It's free to play, and there's nothing you really need to spend real money on to play the game (and there are no significant pay-to-win items either)
- They have a published API that allows user-written extensions for many functions. You can download (or create) add-ons that have access to everything except attacks and movements. The exisintg crafting and battle stats add-ons are very nice, and the auto-bracelet-switcher is a life-saver (see below about bracelets).
- Most of the content can be done solo. The exceptions are the dungeons and hazard zones, but none of these are required to progress.

CONSs:
- the costumes are very limited to start, and too many options must be purchased (either game currency or real money). But look what I'm comparing it to... The best there ever was...
- the "ability points" and "skill points" curve is VERY steep. When you get to 50% of the abilities or skills (count wise -- this is the number you see), you'll think you are progressing nicely, then realize you only have 3% of them point-wise. This is just the typical MMO achievement curve (the further you go it requires more time/effort/cost for the next step), but it's exaggerated too much. And there are hidden things you unlock later that are even worse (augments, shields, auxiliary weapons and skills).
- the end game is definitely a gear grind, with folks repeating the easiest 3 or 4 dungeons over and over in order to get gear and upgrade drops. Teams are limited to 5 players, and the only effective team for the dungeons is tank/healer/dps/dps/dps. ALL OF THEM.
- There is no fly, super-jump or teleport. There is only sprinting, and the highest level you can buy ("sprint 6") is not as fast as super-speed was in CoH (subjectively it seems about half as fast)
- There is simply no way to get end-game gear solo. You must do 5-man teams of the above arrangement.
- The player community is not very friendly.
- There are really only 4 tiers (2 or 3 zones each), but the skill gap between them is huge. You'll get very overpowered, beat the gatekeeper boss (solo -- there's no option to team on these), unlock the new zone, go there and get your ass very quickly handed to you by the first mob you encounter. It's choppy for the 2nd and 3rd tier, then they really punish your success...
- the 4th level-unlock tier (Kaidan) introduces you to the concept of shields. You start with none, and all the bad guys have them. You must use bracelets to break down the enemy shields. You do ZERO actual damage until their shields are gone. You do missions to earn bracelets, each of which converts only a very small amount to reduce enemy shields (I think you start at 2% or something). So it takes 1 or 2 minutes before you can even START damaging a minion-level mob. Meanwhile they are damaging you, no problem at all. To make it worse, there are 3 colors of shields, and you must don the same color bracelet, or you're back to doing zero damage. AND - the only way to upgrade a bracelet to be more effective (levels 1.0 through 1.9) is to... defeat hundreds of enemies. In other words: grind! Some mobs have 2 or 3 shields, and you have to take them out in order. At least it's easy to see which color shield is up on everything.
- In the higher levels and dungeons, 80% of your focus must be on dodging projections (AoE indicators) on the floor. Only the tanker and healer will survive ONE HIT. The healer must focus 100% on the tank, so the 3 DPS team members will be one-shotted by everything on the map, even having one toe hanging over the edge of an AoE. To me this was just endlessly frustrating, and by no means challenging or fun. I want to fight, not dodge puddles.

Those last two points are why I haven't even logged on in about a month. It's just too much of a grind against over-powered enemies, and what I've seen of the end-game is just a gear grind in which one is puddle-dodging. And I don't see the point of doing the dungeons only to become better equipped to do the same dungeons.

It sounds really negative, I know, but I REALLY DID enjoy the first 3 tiers of the game, enough to pay for the lifetime sub (which really only gets you a regular deposit of game bucks to be spent on DLC and fluff)

Bottom line: The first 2 or 3 tiers are definitely fun, challenging and at the right price, but right about at tier 4 it turns into a death march of grinding.
I agree with almost everything you wrote. I never understood why the players need to lower an enemies shields before doing hp damage, while at the same time when you have a the correct shield in place the enemy can do both shield and hp damage at the same time. Even the tooltips point out the damage does x% of shield damage which to me means the rest should do hp damage.
Also another point in the end boss of the right round needs to have 1000+ shields for all the shields.
I enjoy a challenge but the secret world to me panders to the keep it hard group. I play to have fun, and Tokyo is not fun in large, it does have some fun aspects but it is far to hard. The epe did help but to me it was not enough, they could do much better. I love some of the aspects of the secret world, the story is as awesome as any I have played before, even challenging City of. story.
I also agree to get that top lined gear you pretty much have to need everything, if you don't you wont get anything. I found this out the hard way. I was teamed with a few people I did not see they were in the same guild, so I greeded everything and the only time I had above 90 was on 2 times I truly needed and what happened was someone could cut my greed of 100 with a need of 50. They need to fix the drops, out of 5 dungeons I came out with 15 crit. potions, no top level gear, and a verity of tool kits. This one run completely turned me of to dungeons.

chuckv3

• Elite Boss
« Reply #316 on: August 14, 2015, 08:49:50 PM »
Also don't forget that gear does not take damage when you get one shotted.

And if you really don't want the 10% gear damage, at least on outdoor missions you can answer "no" to "do you want to ressurect here?" and hoof it back to your body. I'm pretty sure if you do that you will not incur the penalty. I guess they figured having to run back to your own body is penalty enough.

chuckv3

• Elite Boss
« Reply #317 on: August 14, 2015, 09:00:17 PM »
This doesn't sound good: 

http://www.vg247.com/2015/08/11/age-of-conan-secret-world-dev-funcom-up-for-sale/

Some people are talking about it on reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/TheSecretWorld/comments/3gllkd/funcom_is_up_for_sale_following_legos_lackluster/

Well, I would say to any bored folks out there, go play tiers 1 through 3 before they shut the thing down. The Kingsmouth (tier 1) quests are the best in the whole game, and you start with those.

saipaman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #318 on: August 14, 2015, 09:59:34 PM »
Well, I would say to any bored folks out there, go play tiers 1 through 3 before they shut the thing down. The Kingsmouth (tier 1) quests are the best in the whole game, and you start with those.

I think I'll put off buying issue 12 until I see how this shakes out.   

General Idiot

• Elite Boss
« Reply #319 on: August 17, 2015, 03:25:25 AM »
For anyone in Tokyo, get one of the UI mods to automatically swap aegis things around. (Such as this one.) Makes fighting things in Tokyo infinitely more bearable when you don't have to manually fiddle with them.

Also, I've found the best thing to do to make Tokyo not suck as quickly as possible is to zoom through the issue 9 story missions since they give aegis capacitors the first time you do them which let you do more damage to shields. Also run the missions Tower Defense and The Right Round from the guy in the tank near where you first enter the zone, they give extra aegis controllers as rewards so you can have a full set for both weapons. You need three so you'll have to repeat one of those missions, or if you don't have the side story pack that has The Right Round you'll need to repeat Tower Defense twice.

Once you have a full set of controllers and capacitors, Tokyo becomes a lot less annoying. The whole aegis system is still stupid and should never have made it out of development, but at least once you have all the things and the auto switch mod it's not as much of a hassle.