Author Topic: Hmmmmm....  (Read 7105 times)

JanessaVR

• New Efforts # 12,000!
  • Elite Boss
Re: Hmmmmm....
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2013, 09:20:11 PM »
It's not they didn't get the idea of superheroes.  It's that our game's style didn't suit them.  Compare it to the original Guild Wars play style which did do well enough there back then.  Look at the play style of Lineage II and Aion.  Even today WoW doesn't do all that well there, at least not as well as most westerners would expect, they're 6th in MMORPGs just ahead of Lineage 2 and behind Tera.
That's what I understood - that on the whole they prefer PVP, not PVE, and that's why CoH wasn't popular there.  But, either way, ancient history now - it just wasn't their cup of tea.

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2013, 09:33:59 PM »
That's what I understood - that on the whole they prefer PVP, not PVE, and that's why CoH wasn't popular there.  But, either way, ancient history now - it just wasn't their cup of tea.
Yeah. Some like raspberry tea some like honey mint some like it straight up. I prefer green tea. ;D. Cox over there could have been visually anything but the game play as is wouldn't have done well. Hell even pvp centric games sell tons here but there seem to be enough for non pvp games too. An untapped gold mine. I think the surface has only been scratched with cox type games. But it has to be done before people get over saturated with hero media.

Burnt Toast

• Elite Boss
  • Tastes Good!
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2013, 02:04:23 AM »

:o :-X :roll:

Asians just don't "get" superheroes

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2013, 02:21:31 AM »

Shenku

• Elite Boss
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2013, 04:48:08 AM »
I think it was stated, and I could be wrong because it's been awhile, that Nate told us switching from Unreal 3 to 4 in the future for TPP wouldn't present any major technical hurdles. I'd have to go ask him though to make sure.

Well, as I understand it, the only technical hurdle is that Unreal Script is suppose to have been removed in UE4 entirely(at least, last I heard it was), which means any scripting in UScript done in UE3 would have to be converted over or in some cases maybe rewritten entirely. Impossible to do? No. Easy or time-friendly to do? That depends on how much needs to be transferred over if the change over is to be made at some later date in the development cycle. That gets to be less likely the closer to completion the game gets, since it would require essentially rewriting most of the code for the game.

Captain Electric

• Elite Boss
  • Crime doesn't pay, evildoers!
    • CoH Faces Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2013, 04:59:33 AM »
« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 05:05:06 AM by Captain Electric »

Kistulot

• Elite Boss
  • Argentum Weritas Est!
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2013, 05:06:14 AM »
Honestly, given the way Sentai works (and I mean real super sentai, Zyuranger not Mighty Morphin, Shinkenger, even Sailor Moon really) works I don't think you're giving a huge section of cultures enough credit.

Maybe some modern comics conventions may not be agreed across the board, to say that they don't get superheroes feels a little narrow minded to me, unintentionally so but still there.

If you at all get the feeling you have to add ", but I'm not racist" to something, you're probably at least using a racist sentiment.

CoH's gameplay was pretty unique. Plenty of people who enjoy comics probably dont get into it, and plenty of people who I know played it hate to read comics for any number of reasons. Retcons. Poor writing. Downright offensive representation of women.

To say that Asia doesnt get superheroes is to say that "the west" doesn't understand... I dunno, Anime, Ninjas? Do most people in the West 'get' superheroes? It could be argued its still a niche and that the explosion of the films are enjoyed not because people get the mystique, allure, etc, but because they're good stories with good effects.

Just my 2inf.
Woo! - Argent Girl

srmalloy

• Elite Boss
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2013, 05:55:49 PM »
Honestly, given the way Sentai works (and I mean real super sentai, Zyuranger not Mighty Morphin, Shinkenger, even Sailor Moon really) works I don't think you're giving a huge section of cultures enough credit.

Maybe some modern comics conventions may not be agreed across the board, to say that they don't get superheroes feels a little narrow minded to me, unintentionally so but still there.

Look at those -- it's a group of characters fighting [insert opponent here] together. Look at the type of MMOs that NCSoft makes its money on in Asia. Take Aion, for an example; you have the starting zone, where there's little that a single character can't handle themselves, then the first zone after you get your wings, which is still pretty solo-friendly, although there's a monster roaming around the central town that wants a team to take down effectively, and when you hit the mid-to-late teens you start getting handed quests that are essentially unsoloable, forcing you into groups to complete them. Which isn't a drawback for the Korean players who get together with their gaming group to go down to the gaming cafe and socialize while they play, because that's the way their gaming culture grew.

In the West, gamers would go off into their computer room at home to play; it was a mostly solitary experience, and you would socialize in game with the friends you made in game, but if your friends or guildmates weren't on, you had the solo content to keep you busy; because it evolved from single-player games, PvP and the group content was generally an adjunct to the characters' storylines, not an integral part of it.

With the exception of skippable parts of the game -- TFs, Hami raids, mother ship raids, Incarnate raids, etc. -- there was nothing in City of Heroes that actively pulled players together in teams, and certainly nothing (aside from a leveling pact between two characters) to pull a group of characters together to play through the content together. CoH followed the Western superhero-comic style of the solo hero, who might become part of a group, but the fact that Iron Man joined the Avengers didn't stop him from going out on his own, or teaming up with another hero on an ad-hoc basis -- where in the super sentai programs that became the norm in Asia, the members of the group come together and fight as a group; it is rare for a character to have much solo time. And that dichotomy made the gameplay style of CoH more foreign to Korean gamers when 'City of Hero' was released there; it didn't fit the superhero meme as it was presented in Asian media, even though there is nothing inherently stopping you from playing CoH that way -- the game didn't resonate with Korean gamers the way it did for Western gamers.

City of Heroes was as amenable to getting together with a bunch of friends for an evening's play as any of the Korean MMOs, but it was a facet of the CoH community and Western gaming that we didn't think anything of playing with a group of friends one night and playing with a different group of friends the next night, just from the vagaries of who was on at any given time. But what the Korean players wanted was a game that supported a group of friends getting together and then gaming together -- socialization in person, not across the Net, with the group membership being stable over time. Neither one is better than the other, but each type will be jarring and less attractive compared to the playstyle you're comfortable with. And that's why CoH flopped in Korea, and why the Korean-style MMOs have an uphill fight to retain Western players.