Author Topic: Its been a week.  (Read 22891 times)

CraZboy

• Minion
Re: Its been a week.
« Reply #60 on: December 09, 2012, 12:53:36 PM »
Oh, and I have Windows7, so I pointed my desktop background to the over 1000 screenshots I took, and CoX is also my screen saver!
I do play the over 5 hours of video I took, and sometimes when watching the videos, I grab my mouse and forget for a moment, its just a video .. this sucks ..
@Undead Arcana
@BattleBot V1.0

A Cyclops named Steve

• Lieutenant
  • Steropes Freedom
« Reply #61 on: December 09, 2012, 03:03:12 PM »
Can you imagine how much harder this would be if we didn't have each other? This community is my second family, and I thank you guys so much.
                                             Family isn't about whose blood you have. It's about who you care about.

I agree Healix. When the game shut down I really had no intention of joining cohtitain just because I wanted to forget everything, remembering hurt to much. I found that I missed my friends to much, even though I haven't met any of my immediate family on here, this has been like a giant family reunion and I am making new friends. Oh and side note my husband had some friends over last night and we were talking about CoH shutting down. We had no idea the other played and I mentioned I was on here and told him my handle. It was great to find out he had seen some of my posts but had no idea it was me ;D
.                              Come with me and you'll be in a world of pure imagination. Take a look and you'll see into your imagination.

We'll begin with a spin, traveling in the world of my creation. What we'll see will defy explanation.

If you want to view paradise simply look around and view it. Anything you want to, do it. Wanta change the world? There's nothing To it.

Ashen Fury

• Boss
« Reply #62 on: December 09, 2012, 07:22:57 PM »
I'm doing mostly okay this weekend. Whenever I see something that really invokes a good CoH memory, I still feel like I've taken a kick to the gut, but I haven't broken down nearly as easily the past few days. I can honestly say that this has hit me harder than some deaths, and that feels wierd to me, but at the same time I realize that this game was one of the few things in my life I've truly devoted a lot of myself to, and losing that has really left a gaping hole that probably wont be filled anytime soon, sadly. :(

I'm so happy that the community has rallied, though. Between Titan, the forums several friends have created, and the facebook groups, I've been able to feel as close as possible to the people I loved talking to for hours, just without the capes. Thanks for still being there, everyone.
Permanently Scrapperlocked.

Love CoH music? Want EVERY SINGLE FILE?
http://www.cohtitan.com/forum/index.php/topic,7192.0.html

Ironbull

• Minion
« Reply #63 on: December 10, 2012, 12:31:24 AM »
One day after the shut down I fired up the launcher just to see what would happen.  After I watched the horrible message, I sighed and closed it out.  I shut down my computer and walked away my head looking at the floor.  Each time since then the CoH icon looks up from the lower left hand corner every time I get on my desktop.  I think of the characters, the friends, and the great times.  Yesterday while cleaning out my printer cabinet, I found the box CoH came in.  Good Vs. Evil edition.  The map, the VIP card, and the inserts still all in tact.  It gave me hope however faint.  It's not over.  Not over by a long shot.  As long as Iorn Bull, Kaymen, and all the other characters from the game we have created live on in our hearts and minds.  Can't wait for the day that we all stand together again.  Till then, I'll play X-box, keep checking the boards, and keep hope alive.  I miss you all.

Dollmistress

• Underling
« Reply #64 on: December 10, 2012, 02:05:03 AM »
My main missed the dimensional portal over to CO, so I'm chilling in Secondlife for a while before searching for old friends.

http://i45.tinypic.com/z24ye.jpg

http://i48.tinypic.com/b97nl0.jpg

Managed to steal a holiday jetpack while on my way out. Clicking the Arachnos cape plays the villain "mission complete" music 8)

Golden Ace

• Boss
  • Moon Zone Damn it!
« Reply #65 on: December 10, 2012, 02:11:47 AM »
One day after the shut down I fired up the launcher just to see what would happen.  After I watched the horrible message, I sighed and closed it out.  I shut down my computer and walked away my head looking at the floor.  Each time since then the CoH icon looks up from the lower left hand corner every time I get on my desktop.  I think of the characters, the friends, and the great times.  Yesterday while cleaning out my printer cabinet, I found the box CoH came in.  Good Vs. Evil edition.  The map, the VIP card, and the inserts still all in tact.  It gave me hope however faint.  It's not over.  Not over by a long shot.  As long as Iorn Bull, Kaymen, and all the other characters from the game we have created live on in our hearts and minds.  Can't wait for the day that we all stand together again.  Till then, I'll play X-box, keep checking the boards, and keep hope alive.  I miss you all.

I did the same, fired it up to see what would happen. :(

then removed the NCSoft launcher from my computer.  >:(

srmalloy

• Elite Boss
« Reply #66 on: December 10, 2012, 04:09:10 AM »
I didn't remove it... but I moved all of its files into a zip archive, where they'll be unable to do anything without my express action to unpack them. Then moved the City of Heroes folder out from under the NCSoft folder. I hope that's prophetic...

Ad_Astra

• Lieutenant
« Reply #67 on: December 10, 2012, 04:31:51 AM »
Well, this evening, my regular Sunday night PnP gaming group cancelled because the host has the flu.

Until very recently, I would have cheered the extra CoH time.

I played Chefville on FB instead. :'(

Shinobu

• Minion
  • aka Shinobu
    • Shinobu's City of Heroes Journal
« Reply #68 on: December 10, 2012, 05:27:26 AM »
I've been playing a lot of Bejeweled on my iPad, sadly enough.  Wrote two stories, did a lot of blog posts last weekend and today.  Went and hung out with friends yesterday and today too -- last night we watched my friend's blues band perform.  I've missed shows of his in the past because of City of Heroes, so it's not al bad.  But I still haven't found a way to use my time more constructively -- like really cleaning up my apartment.   :P

I have Second Life and Anarchy Online on my computer and so far I haven't really been compelled to log in to either.  Or buy a new game.

A Cyclops named Steve

• Lieutenant
  • Steropes Freedom
« Reply #69 on: December 10, 2012, 01:59:13 PM »
I did the same, fired it up to see what would happen. :(

I did this as well :gonk: but haven't brought myself to remove the launcher yet
.                              Come with me and you'll be in a world of pure imagination. Take a look and you'll see into your imagination.

We'll begin with a spin, traveling in the world of my creation. What we'll see will defy explanation.

If you want to view paradise simply look around and view it. Anything you want to, do it. Wanta change the world? There's nothing To it.

A Cyclops named Steve

• Lieutenant
  • Steropes Freedom
« Reply #70 on: December 10, 2012, 02:20:29 PM »
I've been playing a lot of Bejeweled on my iPad, sadly enough.  Wrote two stories, did a lot of blog posts last weekend and today.  Went and hung out with friends yesterday and today too -- last night we watched my friend's blues band perform.  I've missed shows of his in the past because of City of Heroes, so it's not al bad.  But I still haven't found a way to use my time more constructively -- like really cleaning up my apartment.   :P

I have Second Life and Anarchy Online on my computer and so far I haven't really been compelled to log in to either.  Or buy a new game.

I have been playing angry birds star wars and solitare on my phone since sunset. I tried playing Dungeon fighters online(I have been playing it for a few months) once last week and just couldn't get into it.

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #71 on: December 10, 2012, 08:03:31 PM »
I have been playing Left for Dead. It is fun mindless zombie slaying and you can play online or solo, I would also recommend Fear to anyone the story is quite good and also check out Good Old Games - http://www.gog.com/

They have lots of fun old stuff that has been tweaked to play on more modern machines.

YourDemise

• Underling
« Reply #72 on: December 10, 2012, 09:43:07 PM »
Started the game up last night just to hear the music, incredible how many memories one little tune can bring back  :'(

faith.grins

• Boss
  • Split your lungs with blood and thunder.
« Reply #73 on: December 11, 2012, 06:36:51 AM »
                                             Family isn't about whose blood you have. It's about who you care about.
I've used the phrase "Family means more than blood," for about six years, ever since my aunt died and her adoptive daughter, her husband, and her stepchildren were no longer technically related to me.  Uncle Dan still comes around for Christmas and other odd occasions, and I always make a point of calling him Uncle Dan.  They're still as much family to me as some people on my mother's side of the family whom I haven't seen since my grandmother's funeral two years ago.  But it's true.  Family means more than blood.  In some ways, I know people from CoH better than my older sister and brother.  In many ways I can relate to you folks better than my own parents.  (Granted, the age difference is smaller for 99% of you...)
Aram:  "Man, just look at all this.  Sometimes it's hard to believe that we get to live surrounded by such wonder."
Gamal:  "We don't live over there." Aram:  "We don't?"
Gamal:  "No.  We live over there." Aram:  "... But it's all on fire."
Gamal:  "Yes it is, Aram.  Yes it is."

Stormsurge

• Minion
« Reply #74 on: December 11, 2012, 12:04:12 PM »
Yeah. I've had some " Man, I really want to play City of Heroes" moments this week. I've been occupying my time with Skyrim though, so I haven't really felt too much of a void. What keeps me going is my belief that the game will be picked up by someone again. It's too good of a game NOT to be.

Oh and thanks for that last video tribute Sam. It was pretty damn emotional.

johnrobey

• Elite Boss
  • CoH global: @Kristoff von Gelmini
« Reply #75 on: December 11, 2012, 12:36:32 PM »
I've used the phrase "Family means more than blood," for about six years, ever since my aunt died and her adoptive daughter, her husband, and her stepchildren were no longer technically related to me.  Uncle Dan still comes around for Christmas and other odd occasions, and I always make a point of calling him Uncle Dan.  They're still as much family to me as some people on my mother's side of the family whom I haven't seen since my grandmother's funeral two years ago.  But it's true.  Family means more than blood.  In some ways, I know people from CoH better than my older sister and brother.  In many ways I can relate to you folks better than my own parents.  (Granted, the age difference is smaller for 99% of you...)

I'm fond of the saying "Friends are the family you get to choose" and identify with what you've said here.
"We must be the change we wish to see in the world." -- Mahatma Gandhi         "In every generation there has to be some fool who will speak the truth as he sees it." -- Boris Pasternak
"Where They Have Burned Books They Will End In Burning Human Beings" -- Heinrich Heine

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #76 on: December 13, 2012, 09:29:19 AM »
I had a CoH screenshot slideshow on my computer.  I pulled it off and replaced it with Victorian Fantasy Paintings.

I took the shortcut off my desktop immediately so I wouldn't click it and then have a breakdown when it didn't work.

Every time someone has some old files to share I grab them and hoard them.

I watch 'ko's Bella and Zach vid obsessively, and cry every time.

I obsess over trying to think of something new Team Wildcard can try.  It's like being prodded with a sharp stick; I keep thinking if I can find just the right angle, I can force NCSoft to cave, and we can get the City back again.  I keep thinking there must be something wrong with me, that I haven't done it yet, I haven't found it yet, and I am haunted by the certainty that I am letting everyone down.  If only I were Stephen King or Stephanie Meyer or Jo Rowling or Tom Clancy....my inadequacy is monumental.

I don't remember dreaming of CoH but I am not sleeping well, and I wake up with the pillow pretty damp.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 11:43:52 AM by Victoria Victrix »
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

johnrobey

• Elite Boss
  • CoH global: @Kristoff von Gelmini
« Reply #77 on: December 13, 2012, 11:45:18 AM »
I had a CoH screenshot slideshow on my computer.  I pulled it off and replaced it with Victorian Fantasy Paintings.

I took the shortcut off my desktop immediately so I wouldn't click it and then have a breakdown when it didn't work.

I obsess over trying to think of something new Team Wildcard can try.  It's like being prodded with a sharp stick; I keep thinking if I can find just the right angle, I can force NCSoft to cave, and we can get the City back again.  I keep thinking there must be something wrong with me, that I haven't done it yet, I haven't found it yet, and I am haunted by the certainty that I am letting everyone down.  If only I were Stephen King or Stephanie Meyer or Jo Rowling or Tom Clancy....

I don't remember dreaming of CoH but I am not sleeping well, and I wake up with the pillow pretty damp.

I remain deeply impressed by and grateful for all that you and Team Wildcard have managed to achieve thus far.   Just the extent much less the quality of the media coverage about this has felt personally reassuring and insured City of Heroes is remembered not just by the fans but by the entire MMORPG industry.   Sure, if any of us were more famous or wealthier (exponentially) etc. it might make a difference.   My guess is that it will take 1-2 years before we have CoH back - and I like your metaphor of running a marathon.   I feel quite certain that you have NOT let me or any of us fans down.  It was heartening reading your post about the development team and their appreciation for the fans' and Wildcard's efforts.  Barring the next great idea or development, I think we just need to let things percolate while pursuing current productive fan/consumer actions.

When I get that flashdrive of images (I believe it's mostly panoramas) I'll post those images to Titan.  The shared memories has done much to help me work thru this.

Digressing, yesterday I did a little holiday shopping, posted a couple of Season's Greetings cards, stopped to shell out the $6 for the soy Chai with a shot of Vanilla from the local coffeehouse (for me a rare treat), and felt good about all these things.   :)
"We must be the change we wish to see in the world." -- Mahatma Gandhi         "In every generation there has to be some fool who will speak the truth as he sees it." -- Boris Pasternak
"Where They Have Burned Books They Will End In Burning Human Beings" -- Heinrich Heine

Kaos Arcanna

• Elite Boss
« Reply #78 on: December 13, 2012, 12:12:58 PM »

I obsess over trying to think of something new Team Wildcard can try.  It's like being prodded with a sharp stick; I keep thinking if I can find just the right angle, I can force NCSoft to cave, and we can get the City back again.  I keep thinking there must be something wrong with me, that I haven't done it yet, I haven't found it yet, and I am haunted by the certainty that I am letting everyone down.  If only I were Stephen King or Stephanie Meyer or Jo Rowling or Tom Clancy....my inadequacy is monumental.

You have given so much time and energy and hope to this.

You have put your heart into your efforts.

No one can ask more of you than that.

Kaos Arcanna

• Elite Boss
« Reply #79 on: December 13, 2012, 12:18:46 PM »
As for me....

So far, only one of my COH friends has wound up enjoying Champions Online.

Me, I'm enjoying having a ranged toon that feels about as tough as a COH Tank. As you level, the writing gets better. I'm particularly enjoying Monster Island because A) Whoever did the writing there has obviously read The Island of Doctor Moreau because the mobs are referring to a somewhat obscure character from the book. B) I can see where they filed off the intended Marvel history to replace it with Champions. (There's a line about Moreau having a Beast Mountain in Eastern Europe which leads me to believe that Monster Island was originally going to be about the High Evolutionary ... who was a take off on Dr. Moreau. Full circle!) :D