Author Topic: Christmas Eve in Paragon (a Ko short story)  (Read 4020 times)

Samuraiko

• Honorary Paragon Dev and
  • Elite Boss
  • EVERYONE LOOK AWESOME - I'M FILMING!
    • The Wandering Crane
Christmas Eve in Paragon (a Ko short story)
« on: December 28, 2012, 04:55:09 AM »
I don't really know where this came from, but I started writing this on Christmas Eve. I know how I'd want to demoedit it, but I don't quite have all the tools I need.

Still... here's hoping others like it.

Christmas Eve, Paragon City

Her bootheels clack rhythmically as she steps from the tram, the hem of her leather trenchcoat blown by the breeze as she exits the station. Pushing her sunglasses back up to the bridge of her nose, she pauses by the railing to look over the city.

There is a light dusting of snow, the sunlight wan against a wintry grey sky. In the distance, over the bustle of traffic and pedestrians and the background noise of Atlas Park, she hears a faint roar. She leans over the rail, craning her neck as she identifies the sound as coming from near Prometheus Park. Sure enough, moments later, a brilliant cacophony of lights and sounds and at least two dozen sets of superpowers going off simultaneously heralds the abrupt arrival of a Winter Lord, hotly pursued by several heroes.

Laughing, she tosses an unseen salute to the group as they chase the Winter Lord down a side alley, then turns to descend the ramp into the tram station's parking lot. She nods to a passing pair of Longbow agents, and continues down the street toward City Hall. Even from here, she can see dozens of people of all shapes, sizes, and types in the plaza. Snowballs are flying everywhere, and as she squints in the fading sunlight, she sees that some enterprising hero has covered the entire dais of the statue of Atlas with ice, turning it into an impromptu skating rink.

Fireworks go off at random intervals, vendors make their way along the edge of the crowd hawking hot drinks, and music fills the air. Smiling to herself, she hitches her camera closer to her side and joins the throng.

She recognizes several people, both heroes and civilians, and she works the crowd with professional courtesy and genuine cheer. She takes dozens of photographs, rolling her eyes as she always does when people prank each other in photos, as they always do. Within an hour, she has photos of Synapse making bunny ears behind Positron's helmet, Faultline and Fusionette smooching behind City Hall, and Woofers the Freedom Phalanx dog buzzing the crowd with his customized Jingle Jet rocketpack.

There is almost as much confetti in the air as there is snow, although every now and again, someone's Singularity scoops up the loose coloured paper and wanders about after its controller, like an independent animated paper kaleidoscope. She points her camera toward the top of City Hall and photographs a dance party in progress, led by Luminary. At least one of the DJs of Paragon City's Cape Radio is blaring music atop the building, and as she glances up toward the top of the Atlas statue, she spots another one blasting out holiday tunes from the top of the globe.

For a while she mingles, laughing and enjoying the festivities, but eventually she drifts away from the crowd and makes her way to the other side of City Hall, standing in an alcove sheltered from the wind. She pulls her trenchcoat more tightly around her to ward off the chill that has deepened since the sun set. Her eyes search the night sky, picking out familiar constellations visible between the clouds rolling in over the city.

Footsteps approach, and out of the corner of her eye, she sees others approach. She nods to them, but does not speak, and they join her in her introspective quiet. Soon others come, and it becomes a silent vigil, all of them watching the skies... and waiting.

Eventually, she speaks, her voice so low as to barely be heard over the sounds of the party on the other side of the plaza.

"I wonder... if they'll ever come back."

Someone else sighs. "I don't know. I mean... it took everything we all had just to save what we have here. But still... I'd like to think so."

She nods, oblivious to the cold tears in her cheeks as she gazes longingly at the sky. "Me, too."

One of the other heroes produces a torch and ignites it, then holds it aloft. Then another hero does the same. And another. And another. And another.

She glances over her shoulder and belatedly realizes that most of the crowd from the party has now arrived, and one by one, they are doing the same. Then she raises a torch of her own, lifting it high, and the sparks dance on the breeze as they soar higher and higher.

I'm still here, she thinks as she stands shoulder to shoulder with the others, the torchlight warm and bright against the darkness and the cold. We'll all be here... for as long as it takes... to light your way home.

FIN

Michelle
aka
Samuraiko/Dark_Respite
The game may be gone, but the videos are still here...
http://www.youtube.com/samuraiko
http://cohtube.blogspot.com

Kuriositys Kat

• Lieutenant
Re: Christmas Eve in Paragon (a Ko short story)
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2012, 06:00:32 AM »
 /em HoldTorch

Thank You, Ko
"There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, and somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do!" - The Doctor

Globetrotter

• Boss
  • I am a still Hero and This is what I do!
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2012, 07:06:03 AM »
Joins and produces a torch: /e holdtorch.

Beautiful story, thank you Michelle.
Gutta cavat lapidem, non vi, sed saepe cadendo.

Cryfire

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2012, 09:28:18 AM »
Great story, thanks Michelle.

/em holdtorch

Atlantea

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2012, 11:31:21 PM »
Same here.

*quick salute, then holds torch aloft as well*

houtex

• Elite Boss
  • I was the turkey all along! MEE!
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2012, 02:02:16 AM »
;flashlight

no wait, dangit...

;holdtorch

/I really wish I could see that story in video... it's a beauty to read.

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2012, 02:03:27 AM »
/I really wish I could see that story in video... it's a beauty to read.
Due to the details, I can see the story already in my head. :)
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

cohRock

• Lieutenant
    • Rich's Tepid Home Page
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2012, 04:04:37 AM »
I really liked it as well.

For your videos, do you normally do a text treatment like this?
-- Rich

Samuraiko

• Elite Boss
    • The Wandering Crane
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2012, 04:32:06 AM »
I really liked it as well.

For your videos, do you normally do a text treatment like this?

Not often, but sometimes.

Michelle
aka
Samuraiko/Dark_Respite

Lycantropus

• Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2012, 10:10:39 AM »
/em holdtorch

I did it for over 3 months straight on Champion when I wasn't playing. I'll damn well do it here.

Blitzwing

• Lieutenant
  • Boot to the Head!
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2012, 10:45:55 PM »
Please note, permission to post the following 'side-sketch' has been granted, by the 'Ko, herself....  :)
=============================================================

Meanwhile, just 'off camera'....

"Oh man," CapeMike said, as the wintry mayhem died down, if only a little bit, "that'll teach that Winter Lord to mess with US, eh, Sparky?"

Spark-1 had long since gotten used to being called 'Sparky' by the hyper-kinetic Scrapper, but still seemed to always cringe at the mention of the affectionate nickname; "That's definitely going to be another giant mess for the snowplows to take care of, agreed...."

CapeMike made a show of looking thoughtful; "But...I REALLY hope that building was already slated for demolition...think anyone will notice?"

"...a little late for that, don't you think?"

"Probably." CapeMike laughed as Spark-1 heavily facepalmed; the Scrapper then reached for a crate and began to open it as a number of others began joining a certain trench-coated woman in an alcove nearby, saying, "O.k., then, looks like some Heroes are about to need my services...' He cleared his throat; "Torches, get yer' torches right here!  Hot off the line, pun totally intended, 5,000 influence each for the next 20 minutes!!"

Spark-1 had never actually facefaulted as badly before as he did just then....  "Wait...all those torches...."

"Who ELSE do you think would try to sell torches to Heroes all these years?"

"I...don't........."

"Pfft, been making a killing, too!  How do you think I paid for that emerald-trimmed plaque for all those exploration badges?!"

"...."

CapeMike rambled on, even as a few potential customers suddenly began backing away; "Yep, one or 2 subtle suggestions as to supply and demand, and, BAM, I'm rolling in the Influence, BWAHAHAHA!"

"...."

"Oh, c'mon, Sparky," CM said, not quite registering what was going on; "I'm -way- too clever for that old 'she's right behind you' gag, and...........she -IS- right behind me, isn't she?"

Spark-1 nodded slowly as he backed away a few steps....

Turning to the trench-coated woman, he suddenly switched gears; "Heeeey, glad to see you!  ...I'm hoping you don't actually think I'd be so callous as to sell torches from this conveniently located crate, all in the name of profit, and...*sigh*this is -ever- going to hurt, and-OHGODMYFACE!"
=========================================

...yeah, it may be a little stunted, but I whipped this off the top of my head...given a little time, I could probably make it even funnier...and if I had the equipment/skills to make a comedic demorecord movie or 2, I would...lots of similarly funny stuff I'd love to bring out!   ;)

Atlantea

• Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2012, 10:52:23 PM »
*SNORK*

Well-played, sir. :)

Blitzwing

• Lieutenant
  • Boot to the Head!
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2012, 01:21:46 AM »
*SNORK*

Well-played, sir. :)

*bows* I am to please....  :D

But seriously, when I'm coming up with ideas for short stories or 'sketch' styled writing like that, I try to picture it in my head as if it were an episode of some wacky anime(much like Bobobo or Excel Saga), then I simply fast-forward and/or rewind through the scene(s) as needed until it 'looks' right...once I'm satisfied, then, I'll post it!

...for example, that last part of that mini-story originally went on for another 5 or 6 lines, with CapeMike getting progressively more beaten the sweet monkey jesus out of, 'off-screen', and several heroes delivering the play-by-play....  ;)

I have the entire thing mapped out in my head, shot for shot, angle for angle, and timed down to almost literally the second...*sad sigh*...sometimes, having Aspergers Syndrome is a blessing AND a curse...but I lack the equipment/ability to bring my stories to 'life'...CoH gave me that ability...and now it's gone....

That's why I've been so persistent, perhaps too much so, about wanting to help someone make a comedic tribute to our beloved game...to see the best comedy routine/story I've ever come up with, live and in color, so to speak....   :'(

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2012, 02:53:41 AM »
Lovely.  Just lovely.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

Samuraiko

• Elite Boss
    • The Wandering Crane
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2012, 04:37:17 AM »
Lovely.  Just lovely.

High praise! :D

Michelle
aka
Samuraiko/Dark_Respite

Fire_Forge

• Underling
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2012, 08:43:35 AM »
What a touching story, thank you.  Makes my heart quiver... I miss our city. Thank you again.

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
  • There are some who call me... Tim?
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2012, 01:56:35 AM »
Ah, the collective unconscious of the CoH community strikes again.

I alluded to this at the end of my Christmas vid - the last shot with the lone character looking up at the star, the light from a candle of a child wishing for the game to return. Toy Story in a nutshell, both the toy and owner, searching for each other, but separated by a digital veil.

The concept is hard to think about without getting emo about it. The idea of searching the sky and using the torches as a beacon though... wow.

In the wake of Nov 30, I'll never look at Tron the same way again.

"Do you really think the Users are still there?"

Samuraiko

• Elite Boss
    • The Wandering Crane
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2013, 09:45:26 PM »
Ah, the collective unconscious of the CoH community strikes again.

I alluded to this at the end of my Christmas vid - the last shot with the lone character looking up at the star, the light from a candle of a child wishing for the game to return. Toy Story in a nutshell, both the toy and owner, searching for each other, but separated by a digital veil.

The concept is hard to think about without getting emo about it. The idea of searching the sky and using the torches as a beacon though... wow.

In the wake of Nov 30, I'll never look at Tron the same way again.

"Do you really think the Users are still there?"

There's one other image that I've had in my mind since 11/30. It's a variant of Lee Teter's famous "Vietnam Reflections" painting. But with myself and my characters. You get the idea.

Michelle
aka
Samuraiko/Dark_Respite

healix

• Elite Boss
  • Every good friend was once a stranger
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2013, 09:53:41 PM »
Listen to the 'mustn'ts'. Listen to the 'don'ts'. Listen to the 'shouldn'ts', the 'impossibles', the 'won'ts'. Listen to the 'you'll never haves', then listen close to me... Anything can happen . Anything can be.