Author Topic: Even "the competition" misses City of Heroes  (Read 1426 times)

TargetOne

• Lieutenant
Even "the competition" misses City of Heroes
« on: December 06, 2012, 03:04:19 AM »
I dunno if anyone mentioned this yet, but over at the Champions Online website, they posted a short tribute about the closing of City of Heroes:

http://co.perfectworld.com/news/?p=772781

The message is respectful of the game itself, Paragon Studios, and especially, the CoH player community... which is more than NCSoft ever was.

TargetOne

Perfidus

• Elite Boss
  • "I, ah.. understand."
    • My arts.
Re: Even "the competition" misses City of Heroes
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2012, 03:05:46 AM »
I did see that. I appreciate it, but it was also strategic. They were trying to get as many of us as they could. They just so happened to have a double xp weekend, the weekend directly following Friday's shutdown.

I don't doubt the message was genuine. But there were ulterior motives.

Perfidus

• Elite Boss
  • "I, ah.. understand."
    • My arts.
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2012, 03:06:10 AM »
Also hi Target, hope you're doing well. Accept my Steam invite already. :P

Osborn

• Boss
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2012, 03:07:25 AM »
I dunno if anyone mentioned this yet, but over at the Champions Online website, they posted a short tribute about the closing of City of Heroes:

http://co.perfectworld.com/news/?p=772781

The message is respectful of the game itself, Paragon Studios, and especially, the CoH player community... which is more than NCSoft ever was.

TargetOne

That might be legit, but it might not really be legit. Either way there's no other response for them to take other than be somber.

I mean, if they started to do a touchdown dance, they'd look like jerks.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2012, 03:09:47 AM »
There is a certain strategy to it. They know they're the only real equivalent, so they don't want to alienate us, like Ozzie said. At the same time, a few of the people working over there actually helped build our game. Wherever they may be, now, they feel it, too.
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Perfidus

• Elite Boss
  • "I, ah.. understand."
    • My arts.
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2012, 03:12:32 AM »
Yeah, that's why I feel it's both a business minded post, and a personal one. You can't tell me people like Geko and Emmert don't feel just a bit sad to see the game go. (Even if neither one of them actually work on CO.)

Kaos Arcanna

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2012, 03:16:31 AM »
They could have just said nothing.

Did DC Online post anything about the COH shutdown?

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2012, 03:17:06 AM »
Plus, a couple of devs (can't remember who, but it's in the threads, somewhere) ended up back with Cryptic, but on STO.
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2012, 03:17:52 AM »
Howdy! We've already got a topic going on Champion's post. Locking this topic in favor of the one that already exists: http://www.cohtitan.com/forum/index.php/topic,6545.0.html
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal