Author Topic: Anyone Playing Guild Wars 2?  (Read 36630 times)

UruzSix

• Lieutenant
Re: Anyone Playing Guild Wars 2?
« Reply #140 on: April 03, 2013, 04:08:48 AM »
Ah, altitis, my old friend. I'm still trying to find a class and concept that I can main with. Right now, my new sylvari thief is pulling ahead, I like his look, I'm utterly adoring the sylvari as a race, and he's got some pretty nifty tricks he can pull.

Someday. Someday I'll finally have an alt past 40...

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #141 on: April 03, 2013, 04:22:13 AM »
I never, NEVER like thieves or rogues or assassins in any game I've ever played.

My highest character in GW2 is a Sylvari thief. She's awesome. The Sylvari are my second favorite race (I *love* the Asura - I have been coveting them since the first concept art showed up) - although you wouldn't know that to look at my character list (all Sylvari but one Asura) lol.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Adelante

• Boss
« Reply #142 on: April 03, 2013, 07:11:01 AM »
I have a level 80 thief, haven't done much with him after getting him to 80.  But then, I haven't played  a whole lot lately.  My gaming time for the last few weeks has been mostly Dungeon Defenders.  If I could get a regular group together to do Dungeons in GW2 I'd love it.

Basically my impression of the Thief in GW2 is that it's great for burst damage but is a bit squishy.

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
« Reply #143 on: April 03, 2013, 07:32:21 AM »
I've been thinking of rolling a thief next, simply because I keep getting ganked by them in WvW when I'm not zerging with the team.
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

Heroette

• Elite Boss
  • Penelope Pistol lives forever in my heart.
« Reply #144 on: April 03, 2013, 05:58:57 PM »
I have a human thief right now, at lvl 8, I think.  I am not sure if I like it or not.  I also suffer from altitis but my main (human elementalist) is lvl 70 now.  I noticed that in the higher zones, they are pretty much empty.  Maybe its the time I play (6-8pm pst).  I am soloing most events.  I do like the drops in the higher zones though.

Maressa

• Boss
« Reply #145 on: April 04, 2013, 01:23:37 PM »
My thief is a Charr and I'm having a really hard time getting into her. She's still just a baby though (level 15). I think I need to try all the weapon combos again.

Heroette

• Elite Boss
« Reply #146 on: April 04, 2013, 03:00:19 PM »
So far, I can't get into the Charr.  I have made two and deleted them.  I am on my third and she is lvl 4.  And she might be on the chopping block if my altitis comes back.

Maressa

• Boss
« Reply #147 on: April 04, 2013, 03:34:43 PM »
Charr are easily my favorite race. But also the most difficult for me to play. I only have the one and that was really only because for my sake of completeness I needed to have one character from each race. At the moment though I have more Sylvari than any of the others. That will change though when character slots go on sale again. I can't help myself.

Heroette

• Elite Boss
« Reply #148 on: April 04, 2013, 03:46:53 PM »
The character slots go on sale?  So far I have bought two (bad altitis).  I guess I can wait for the next sale and maybe then buy 2 more.  So far, I have mostly humans.  I know that starting zone the best since that is what I do the most.  I do like the sylvari race too.

Maressa

• Boss
« Reply #149 on: April 04, 2013, 04:53:51 PM »
I've been playing about 6 months now and I think in that time they've gone on sale once, maybe twice. My favorite start zone seems to be the Wayfarer Foothills. I certainly spend an insane amount of time in the zone. My least favorite is Metrica Province. I don't know why but every time I play there for more than a half hour I start getting sleepy and uninterested. I've only completed it once out of nine characters.

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
« Reply #150 on: April 04, 2013, 06:21:46 PM »
I've been playing about 6 months now and I think in that time they've gone on sale once, maybe twice. My favorite start zone seems to be the Wayfarer Foothills. I certainly spend an insane amount of time in the zone. My least favorite is Metrica Province. I don't know why but every time I play there for more than a half hour I start getting sleepy and uninterested. I've only completed it once out of nine characters.

I started a Norn as my first character and the snowy part of the Wayfarer Foothills is still one of my favorite areas.  And I've explored them all.

Heroette

• Elite Boss
« Reply #151 on: April 04, 2013, 06:40:31 PM »
My elelmentalist is 72 now and I still only have 42% of the map done.  My goal is to do "everything" with her.  I hope there is an excellent prize for doing every map and everything on it.

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
« Reply #152 on: April 04, 2013, 07:50:27 PM »
Other than the chests you get when you clear the zone, I'm not sure.  I just have one WvW map left and it's about half done.  They're the toughest maps to clear because POI, Vista and Skill areas there are likely under enemy control.

You will get something you will need if you ever are going to craft up to legendary weapons.  And a star next to your character's name.

Captain Electric

• Elite Boss
  • Crime doesn't pay, evildoers!
    • CoH Faces Profile
« Reply #153 on: April 04, 2013, 07:54:14 PM »
I'll say this. At the point in time that I boycotted NCSoft, I wasn't interested in any of their other games anyway. The last fantasy MMORPG I'd played was Ultima Online, and I've played quite a few MMOs over the past 15 years (so for those who think you can't dodge the fantasy glut--where there's a will there's a way ;D).

But my time post-CoH in LOTRO and the Neverwinter Beta has opened my mind up a bit to the fantasy MMO genre. And after hearing friends and Titan folks talk about GW2 and Wildstar, and after seeing gameplay footage, these look like real fun titles and I am really hoping I can play them some day. And, we boycotters talk, and so I know I'm not the only one. Yes I'm one of the boycotters. But out of the two super groups I had characters in during City of Heroes, one of those groups moved almost entirely to GW2 when they found Champions Online unpalatable. I see them sometimes in CO and NW but not often, and I miss them. In my very first emails and letters to NCSoft, I gave them my word that if they made this situation right, I'd buy copies of Guild Wars 2 and other games (like Wildstar, looks cool), and spread flowers and praise anytime NCSoft and their games came up in threads or conversations. I said that in good faith, but now I really want to be able to buy these games! For many boycotters, our boycotts are not just NCSoft's loss, it's our loss too.

#CallJack and #SaveCoH :-\

Heroette

• Elite Boss
« Reply #154 on: April 04, 2013, 09:01:52 PM »
Captain, I totally understand.  I kinda fell into GW2 and I really enjoy it.  I got a free trial from ymy sister.  I have found a few people from the Justice United chat channel from COH and we chat.  Its a fun game and I hope one day that things will be right with NCSoft and you can try it out.

Maya Iceflame

• Underling
« Reply #155 on: June 18, 2013, 05:10:24 PM »
I Play GW2 and I like it, I may hate NCsoft but i don't see or have any reason to hate Arena Net. I was a Virtue Player on CoH and I play on Tarnished Coast (The RP Server) in GW2 with a Ele as my main. I Open up a GW2 Chapter of the Justice Girls in GW2 (Yes even in GW2 the group was called The Justice Girls) and We were doing good, a good size group, Doing Armor (Costume) Contest. But We hit a wall at somepoint and Merge with another Group a few weeks ago. needless to say, I'm having a good time in GW2. Plus if let go or don't think of the NCsoft BS, GW2 is a great game.

I do miss my DP/Ice Techno Organic Ice Succubus Blaster and CoH, But i can't let that bring me down.

Eldershinjo

• Minion
« Reply #156 on: June 27, 2013, 08:21:35 PM »
Hey there Maya! Captain, good to see you! And all the other CoH refugees as well.
It's Elltenia from Virtue and the Legionnaire's!
So, when CoH was closed down, I had a lot of mixed feelings about it. But as I have said before, not going to blame ANet because NCsoft apparently didn't like Paragon Studios and City of Heroes. (Lets face it, that's what it sure looked like to me...)
So, I play Guild Wars 2, have 3 level 80's and am still playing it, working on a 4th now...
It's not perfect. And some of the things ANet is doing with it's Living Story baffle me (Why oh why do you keep making everything temporary??) but the game is beautiful. The combat is smooth. The character progression is fairly simple, yet is still deep enough (for me) to allow for some variety in builds.
One thing I do so terribly miss is the ICON from CoH... There are more armor combinations then you can really shake a stick at, but nothing even remotely close to what we had on CoH. What the game is missing is more normal looking 'town clothes'. You you start out with a set that you can customize the colors on, and you can buy more from the Trading Post, but that costs Gems...
And on the subject of Gems... This alternate currency seems like a money-grab by most people when I talk about it. Truth is, they are basically like Paragon Points in that you need them to buy new shinies (like the aforementioned town clothes...) and other neat stuff. And yes, you can pay real money to buy Gems...
A couple of things about this though...
Yes, you can pay with real money. And that's really the easiest (and quickest) way to get Gems. But, you can also trade in game gold for Gems. so if you never want to spend another dime on the game after you buy it, you don't have to. Mind you, gold doesn't just fall from the sky like Inf used to seemingly do... But really, it's not that terribly hard to get either
Also, there is nothing you can buy with Gems that will make you better in the game itself. Nothing will make you stronger, faster, tougher or really, make it a Pay2Win situation. The Gem Store is completely and totally optional, and you can never touch it at all, and still be just as effective as the guy who spent $100 there... (In fact, I'd say you might just be better off, because you are possibly a $100 richer then he is... >_>)
Like I said, the game is not perfect by any stretch of the imagination. But if I was looking for the perfect game, I'd never play any of them out there. The lack of the Holy Trinity is kind of a mixed blessing at times... Yes, its a different take on the tried and true (and some might say over-used) game mechanic in MMOs, but sometimes I feel that they neglected to really put anything in to replace it. Sometimes I /do/ miss the ability to run into a group of enemies, pull aggro and tank them all. You try that in GW2, and you'll quickly get pummeled into the ground... That being said, I have to admit that I love the feeling I get after taking on a bunch of enemies and coming out on top after a fierce fight!

Okay, this has rambled on more then I expected to. <_< Theres more I could say, but I didn't mean to give a full review of a game that a lot of people are probably familiar with by now...
Always remember... The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing...

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
« Reply #157 on: June 28, 2013, 08:00:35 AM »
What server are you on?  There are a group of us mostly on Jade Quarry.  Our guild is called Heroes Of Paragon [COH].

Eldershinjo

• Minion
« Reply #158 on: June 28, 2013, 03:20:11 PM »
I ended up on Tarnished Coast. I can't complain about the community here. Generally pretty friendly and helpful.
Always remember... The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing...

Captain Electric

• Elite Boss
  • Crime doesn't pay, evildoers!
    • CoH Faces Profile
« Reply #159 on: June 29, 2013, 09:10:01 AM »
HEY ELLY! It's great to see a Legionnaire here.  :D

Glad to know you're still having fun over there. And don't worry, this is a rambling-encouraged zone, and this is a good place for full reviews. With all the games coming out lately, and everyone exploring around, you'd be surprised (or maybe you wouldn't) by all the people who haven't tried out any given MMO yet.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2013, 09:15:35 AM by Captain Electric »