Author Topic: Star Trek Online (STO)  (Read 10646 times)

primeknight

• Boss
Star Trek Online (STO)
« on: June 25, 2013, 07:51:04 PM »
Hi,

Is anyone else here playing this?  Are there any CoH fleets out there?

I started playing this soon after I heard Matt "Positron" Miller recently lent his creative storytelling skills to the game.  And I had to give Cryptic props for giving their former co-worker a job.  The game really hits the spot, and I find little Easter eggs: for example My main character is a generic Alien who has telekinesis, and the effect is the exact same color as every single default psionic power from CoH.  Also, sound effects, I keep stumbling upon a few that sound exactly like things from CoH...the portal corp sound is in there I believe. 

If anyone here is playing let me know and we can hang out at the second star to the right.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
Re: Star Trek Online (STO)
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2013, 10:59:01 PM »
The "CoX" chat channel works across all three Cryptic games. You might look back a few pages into the thread list. I think there is at least one fleet of City players.

I'll be revisiting the game in a couple of weeks to check out the new content. I logged in over the weekend to create a Romulan, but I only sat through the opening movies. Good stuff. It appears to pick up the "TNG present" story after Ambassador Spock failed to save Romulus/Remus and got sent back in time to create the Abrams Trek timeline.
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2013, 05:19:24 AM »
I think we have our own "fleet".

Ah yes, here it is.

http://www.cohtitan.com/forum/index.php/topic,7526.0.html
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

General Idiot

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2013, 05:56:36 AM »
...and the effect is the exact same color as every single default psionic power from CoH.

Psychic powers in CO are that same shade of pink by default as well, I believe. It just seems to be what every developer picks when deciding what colour their psychics are.

And regarding sounds from CoH, they actually show up a lot of places because CoH used a lot of stuff from public sound libraries rather than making their own. And that stuff is of course available to anyone else under the same terms CoH got it under. As an example, there's one episode of Doctor Who that makes me sad every time I watch it because right near the start the TARDIS makes the Twilight Grasp sound effect. I've seen a few others too but that's the one that sticks in my mind the most.

Super Firebug

• New Efforts # 20,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2013, 06:52:55 AM »
And regarding sounds from CoH, they actually show up a lot of places because CoH used a lot of stuff from public sound libraries rather than making their own. And that stuff is of course available to anyone else under the same terms CoH got it under. As an example, there's one episode of Doctor Who that makes me sad every time I watch it because right near the start the TARDIS makes the Twilight Grasp sound effect. I've seen a few others too but that's the one that sticks in my mind the most.

That explains it. I was watching a movie on TV a few years ago (I don't recall the title), and one scene showed a character pulling up to a crime scene, where the cops already were. The radio dispatcher that we heard was the same voice doing the same call from CoH's police drones: "7835, code 6. 105 North Avenue 52" - right down to the static crackle when the mike key was released at the end.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 05:45:59 PM by Super Firebug »
Linux. Because a world without walls or fences won't need Windows or Gates.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2013, 01:59:41 PM »
Psychic powers in CO are that same shade of pink by default as well, I believe. It just seems to be what every developer picks when deciding what colour their psychics are.

This is probably a throwback to the source material. All of the characters I can think of (and find in a quick Google search, which is likely what a game artist is told to do if they didn't read comics) who had "psychic" powers, the power effect was always depicted as pink. I think Psylocke's went a couple of shades darker after her conversion to psychic assassin, but the general pinkness is still there.
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Turjan

• Elite Boss
  • You cannot kill a dream
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2013, 12:14:01 PM »
Star Trek Online's new Summer Event is...an experience.

In all honesty I can't say it "isn't Star Trek" because so much weird and offbeat stuff has happened in Star Trek episodes over the decades that pretty much anything can be Star Trek...provided you can justify it with a canon reference somewhere ;)

The Summer Event takes place on Risa, the 'Pleasure Planet' that pops up from time to time in episodes of TNG and Enterprise. There are jetpacks, a starship to grind for, a dance event, and parrot pets that can be raised from an egg to maturity.

But it's the costume unlocks I was more interested in. Because I'm a CoH player, obviously! :D

The powers-that-be decreed that there shalt not be swimwear or bikinis available to the players (even though Risan NPCs have them). I applaud this actually, because unless Cryptic somehow limited the wearing of swimwear to Risa itself, you just know what would happen...in no time, Earth Spacedock would be crawling with Benny Hill-esque chase scenes, and conga lines of scantily clad players running around Admiral Quinn's office  :roll:

But, the leisure gear available is still pretty fun to mess around with, and can look very vacationy. Here's my Romulan Captain dancing a samba on the beach while her pet parrot flaps about overhead -

I'm not much of a roleplayer, but even I enjoy the idea of wearing this outfit on Risa, then swapping to a businesslike uniform once I'm back on my ship. It's just a bit of fun, which IS what games are supposed to be after all :)

LydiaFrost

• Minion
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2013, 05:32:59 PM »
Orions have Bikinis :-)

On the other hand, neither Armor nor Kits show, when I set them to visible.

Lydia Frost MM
aka Nisse in STO

General Idiot

• Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2013, 03:24:19 AM »
On the other hand, neither Armor nor Kits show, when I set them to visible.

This is in fact true of all Klingon and Romulan faction characters. Kits only display a visible model for the Federation, everyone else clearly is just using magic or something instead.

Turjan

• Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2013, 12:26:50 PM »
This is in fact true of all Klingon and Romulan faction characters. Kits only display a visible model for the Federation, everyone else clearly is just using magic or something instead.

Not strictly true...the same Rommie toon in my samba screenshot above actually uses a low grade sci kit as a clothing outfit accessory instead of a belt :D

General Idiot

• Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2013, 03:29:24 AM »
Huh. None of the ones I've tried on my romulan engineer show up so I just sort of assumed. I stand corrected.

Turjan

• Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2013, 10:41:44 AM »
Huh. None of the ones I've tried on my romulan engineer show up so I just sort of assumed. I stand corrected.
The sci-Rommie is the only one I have experience of, so I don't think you 'stand corrected' so much as 'sort of crouch a bit' really :)

I have a lowbie tac Romulan too - I'll snag a kit for him sometime and check so that between us we've scoped them all out. Cryptic really need to sort stuff like this out - it's the same with the bald spot females have with the new 'elegant hair' style, the massive clipping issues with the Risan summer wear, and those godawful excuses for "sunglasses" they're fobbing us off with at 10k GPL a pop!

General Idiot

• Elite Boss
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2013, 12:41:19 AM »
The sci-Rommie is the only one I have experience of, so I don't think you 'stand corrected' so much as 'sort of crouch a bit' really :)

I have a lowbie tac Romulan too - I'll snag a kit for him sometime and check so that between us we've scoped them all out. Cryptic really need to sort stuff like this out - it's the same with the bald spot females have with the new 'elegant hair' style, the massive clipping issues with the Risan summer wear, and those godawful excuses for "sunglasses" they're fobbing us off with at 10k GPL a pop!

At least it isn't 10k Zen a pop instead.

Turjan

• Elite Boss
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2013, 08:11:50 PM »
At least it isn't 10k Zen a pop instead.
lol Aye, good point :D

I checked my Romulan tactical officer, and I can confirm his kit does not show up visually. But that leaves me wondering now...is it just sci Romulans who can see their kit, or is it a male/female thing? My sci is female, the tac is male...what's your engineer? Hmm...  ???

General Idiot

• Elite Boss
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2013, 01:14:59 AM »
The engineer is female. Personally, I suspect it's just one of those Cryptic bugs that they don't care enough about to fix.