Author Topic: [On Board RP] Telephone Call!  (Read 11062 times)

Tacitala

• Boss
[On Board RP] Telephone Call!
« on: December 03, 2012, 05:07:13 PM »
((Let's do some open ended on board role playing- maybe it'll help people to think that just because the servers are closed, our character's live on.  So grab a character- any character- and feel free to hop in.

Should it matter for something in your response: The setting for where this starts is in Praetoria, but from a time span before the game.  It's that 'golden age' that made Krang get misty-eyed: the sonic fence is still pretty new, the people are generally happy, the rate of crime is low, the seer program hasn't started, Cole hasn't hit his full downward spiral in to madness yet, etc.  I can also grab a screenshot of the character if need be.))

----
In a nondescript building is a bland, boring office.  On the desk in that office is a phone that can anywhere at any point in history.

Behind the desk sits Ella, a 16 year old girl who got stuck working part time in the Powers Division when she manifested her abilities in front of people who wouldn't whistle and look away.  She has been told resolutely, "Guard the phone but do not touch it."  So as soon as the door closes and she's no longer being watched, Ella does the only sensible thing possible: pick up the receiver and start mashing buttons until someone answers.

When someone answers she intends to politely ask them to tell her what they think makes their world great.
"And I, of course, am innocent of all but malice."
- Princess Fiona of Amber

Tanklet

• Boss
Re: [On Board RP] Telephone Call!
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2012, 10:20:25 PM »
((YES!!! Bout time something like this showed up! Going to create myself a character! :D))

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Beth Conroy had just gotten her feet out of the most uncomfortable comfortable shoes the world had ever known. Sure, they were orthopedics, but after twelve hours on your feet anything and everything would hurt. This time was no different, and she was thankful for insisting on an apartment with wall to wall carpeting (one of very few guilty pleasures that she considered a necessity).

The life of a triage nurse was never boring, not even in a relatively quiet city as Neutropolis. People got sick, people got hurt, there was always someone in need. So, even though the ache of her feet was borderline unbearable, the work was rewarding.

Still in her uniform, Beth padded from the door to her apartment over to the kitchen. She was within reach of a much needed glass of water when her phone rang. The young woman growled audibly, swearing to lose it if the hospital was calling her for an emergency shift. The carpet felt so good. The water would taste so good.

Resigned with defeat, Beth trudged over to the receiver just before the answering machine could pick up, "Conroy residence," she intoned. Even though she was the only person in said residence, sometimes she couldn't help herself in emitting a formal phone greeting.

Tacitala

• Boss
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2012, 12:48:31 AM »
Ella got a wide, mischievous grin.  Pfft. 'Don't touch the phone' indeed.

"Good afternoon, my name is Ella," she pleasantly leaves out that she was given the same last name as the foster home she was plunked in as a girl. "If I may have a moment of your time, I am working on a small scale study on the quality of life through positive outlooks.  If you would for me, like to ask you to briefly describe how you see the world around you and what you find is the best about it."

Tanklet

• Boss
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2012, 04:01:13 AM »
Beth looked at the phone incredulously. Was this person high, insane, or a college student? Her mind tossed between actually answering the question, and slamming the phone down in favor of sleep

She sighed, "Look ... Ella .. I don't know what it is you're selling, or marketing, but I really don't have time for this. I just got off a twelve hour shift. I don't even know how you got this number, it's unlisted save for the medical center. So, unless there's an actual emergency, I'm afraid I don't really have the time it takes to go through an interview on 'what makes Neutropolis pretty.'

Tacitala

• Boss
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2012, 02:47:48 PM »
'Oh so that's what PMS sounds like!'  Ella muses.  She ponders several responses.

In the end she selects, "I'm sorry, I seem to have caught you at a bad time." Much to her chagrin the part of her that paid attention to basic training kicks in to remind her she's a police officer.  "I'll let you go," she hesitates, "unless there's something I can help you with."

The urge to quietly send this woman something like a small bouquet of flowers to brighten her day starts competing with the urge to send a singing telegram to 'brighten her day'.

Tanklet

• Boss
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2012, 12:41:27 AM »
Beth was certain it had to be a teenager on the other line. Nothing else could explain this conversation.  She rolled her eyes at the younger female's offer to 'help.' What was going on here that she wasn't seeing?

"Help? Didn't you call to ask my help with your study? Who are you? Where are you calling from? This is either a prank call, or you received this phone number in a manner you shouldn't have. Maybe if you answer my questions, I'll answer yours."

Tacitala

• Boss
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2012, 02:54:46 PM »
"I answered the first as much as I could and the second isn't something I can't disclose." The melee brute smiles.  "I got this number from random button pushing, although I was hoping the number would link to somewhere further afield than Neutropolis."

The voice in her head agrees she should have been an ass and just hung up.

Tanklet

• Boss
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2012, 12:22:32 AM »
((Sorry I dropped this! I had the sh#ttiest 2 weeks at work that kinda messed me up completely. Hoping things are back on track irl now ... Anyway .. back to posting))

Beth mused at the mysterious caller. So, she was pushing random buttons in a place she can't disclose, "Well, Ella, this seems problematic for you. From what it sounds like, you're probably doing something you shouldn't have been. Which beg the question, you -do- know there are several ways to track phone calls, right?"

Oh, now Beth was having fun. It was unfair to be sure, but nothing she said was untrue. If she was so inclined, Beth was certain she could have the number traced in a variety of ways. Unless of course this was some super secret government facility. And even if it was, that usually meant two things; the number -could- be traced, even if Beth never got hold of the information, and odds were this call was being monitored anyway which meant the young caller was already in enough trouble without her realizing it.

Tacitala

• Boss
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2012, 04:04:09 PM »
((Sorry I dropped this! I had the sh#ttiest 2 weeks at work that kinda messed me up completely. Hoping things are back on track irl now ... Anyway .. back to posting))

((Sorry to hear that- I know how it goes.))

Beth mused at the mysterious caller. So, she was pushing random buttons in a place she can't disclose, "Well, Ella, this seems problematic for you. From what it sounds like, you're probably doing something you shouldn't have been. Which beg the question, you -do- know there are several ways to track phone calls, right?"

Ella bites back 'What the hell are they going to do, put me in foster care for bad behavior?  Besides, I'm providing valuable testing.'.  Instead she keeps her voice even: "I will neither confirm nor deny either."

"But, if you would rather, I can let you go."

'The Devil made me Do it, works to,' her mind adds.

"Unless," she offers mischievously, "you'd like to turn this in to a party call and we can see where the next call goes..."

Slow_Guy

• Underling
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2013, 07:25:52 PM »
He woke with a start. Looking wildly from corner to corner, with palm raised as if an intruder would be scared of his waving hand. -RING RING- Looking into a random pile of clothes, Josh realizes it was the phone that woke him and lowers his hand. -RING RING- He didn't have an anwsering machine, so the phone would continue to ring until he answered or the caller decided to hang up, he hoped for the latter. -RING RING- Josh grabbed a ciggarette and a lighter. -RING RING- He sparked it and took a big drag. -RING RING- "Guess it's the former" he sighed as he exhaled the smoke and also realeased the opressive gloom he had about himself for the last three weeks. Just before the 7th ring he reached into the pile of clothes grabbed the reciver and as politely as he could muster "Hello?"

"Good afternoon sir, my name is Ella and on the phone with me is my supervisor Beth. If we could have a moment of your time, we are working on a small scale study on the quality of life through positive outlooks. If you would let me, I'd like to ask you to breifly describe how you see the world around you and what you find is best about it."

Thinking of the events of just a few hours before, the 16 year old kid looked at the phone incredoulusly, then began laughing hystarically.

Tacitala

• Boss
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2013, 02:28:53 PM »
(( :P I hadn't realized how long it had been since I swung through.  Sorry, I haven't been online much for the last few weeks.  I also think that Beth's player might have had some real world stuff come up.))

'Oh, maniacal laughter,' Ella thinks. 'It can either be really, really good or really, really bad.  There's no middle ground.  Let's hope it's the first.'

"If this is a bad time I can hang up," she says with a smile.

Paragon Avenger

• Circles and Triangles
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2015, 04:30:20 AM »
He figured that no one would be using the party line at this hour.  It was kind of strange to have a party line in the age of smartphones, but it was the only option he and the guy living upstairs could afford.  Besides, neither used the land line much, they both had smart phones.  That is, when they are charged.

He picked up the handset and listened for the dial tone.  Nothing.  He said, "Hello, Josh are you using the phone?"  He could hear laughter over the line.
"Look, I really need to use the phone.  My cell is dead and I wanna order a pizza."  He explained.
He would often say that he needed to order a pizza, the truth was that he needed to get in touch with his contact, Super Fire Dragon for any missions.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 04:13:41 AM by Paragon Avenger »

Paragon Avenger

• Circles and Triangles
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2015, 11:45:26 PM »
Super Fire Dragon picked up the phone and pushed the button.
"Hello, hello, who is this."  Super Fire Dragon asked into the phone.
"Yeah, Josh and I were wondering if you could come over, you know, just hang out?"  He answered back.
"I think you have the wrong number."  SFD said and hung up the phone.  That was code for meet me in AP in the train station.  I have something big for you.  Super Fire Dragon got ready to go to Atlas Park and meet his contact.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 04:14:38 AM by Paragon Avenger »

Paragon Avenger

• Circles and Triangles
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2015, 04:41:24 AM »
"Hello, Dragon."  He said as Super Fire Dragon teleported to their meeting spot.
"Greetings."  SFD said amused with his self.
"Look, I think there's a shipment of 'dine coming into Indy Port, I want to help stop it."  He informed.
"Where did you come by this information?"  SFD asked wondering how this low-level agent could get such secret files.
"I know a guy."  He answered.
"If Ms. Liberty finds out that security has been breached ..."  SFd warned.
"Don't worry about that.  It's all up and up."  He interrupted.
"Fine, but I will need to check out a couple things first.  Call me.  Offer to come over with a pizza.  If I say that I hate mushrooms, the deal is off.  Got it?"  SFD instructed.
"I call, and tell you that I'm coming over with a pizza.  If you say that you hate mushrooms then the deal's off."  He repeated dutifully.
"And remember, have fun."  SFD said as he teleported away.
"Wait a minute, I hate mushrooms."  he said to his self.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 01:58:30 AM by Paragon Avenger »

Paragon Avenger

• Circles and Triangles
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2015, 02:28:57 AM »
"No one is supposed to know about that shipment!"  Ms. Liberty answered at the top of her voice.
"This could only mean that we have at least smoke double-agents running around here."  Super Fire Dragon reasoned.
"Dragon, sorry I lost my temper, but you know this guy, can we trust him?  What's going on here?"  Ms. Liberty said desparate for answers.
"Look, I gave the guy a few light jobs here and there.  He seems clean enough, but I don't know how he knew about that shipment.  I didn't even know about it."  SFD admitted.
"Wait, you didn't know about?  What was all the big talk about how you were going to stop it?"  Ms. Liberty questioned the little dragon.  She felt that everybody in Hero Corps was either on the take or planning a coup.
"I was just trying to sound important, like what's his name, double-o-Powers-86."  SFD said.
"Austin Powers, Agent 86 or double-o 7?"  Ms. Liberty said growing impatient with the dragon's inability to remember anything with numbers.
"Yeah, the cheese guy."  SFD said and started looking around for some cheese.
"The cheese guy, oh never mind.  So you heard about the shipment from this low-level agent."  Ms. Liberty pondered.
"Are you thinking what I'm thinking?"  SFD asked.
"Yes, the cheese is in the fridge."  Ms. Liberty snapped.
"Oh, good, no I mean that my low-level agent knows about that shipment, because he wants to steal it."  SFD said as he got a nice round of Colby from the fridge.  Ms. Liberty always had the best cheese.  Somehow, eating free cheese tasted better.
"So maybe the leak isn't in Hero Corps?"  Ms. Liberty said hopefully.
"Run a security drill to be sure.  Meanwhile, re-route that shipment to Talos Island."  SFD suggested.
"Great idea, but I can't re-route the shipment....but I can delay it."  Ms. Liberty said with excitement in her voice.
"This is good cheese."  SFD said taking a bite of the cheese.
"Gordon, get me central control."  Ms. Liberty said into her intercom system.
"Yes, Ms. Liberty."  Gordon said over the intercom.
"Stay here, Dragon.  I'll give you some instructions."  Ms. Liberty said to SFD.
"Ok."  SFD said as he plopped down on the sitee and ate his cheese.
"Central."  The intercom system said.
"Central, send shipment 2-bravo-tango-1-8-9-Zulu to pick up package at dock 11 off Mercy Island."  Ms. Liberty said.
"Are you mad woman!"  SFD said spitting out perfectly good cheese.
"Relax, Dragon, it's all part of my plan."  Ms. Liberty said.
"Central confirms shipment 2-bravo-tango-1-8-9-Zulu to pick up package at dock 11 in Mercy Island by 14:45 Tuesday.  Last chance."  Central said over the intercom.
"Override disabled, lock-out changes."  Ms. Liberty instructed.
"Central Acknowledges.  Changes locked-out.  Central out."  Central said over the intercom.
"But sending that shipment of Supradine to Mercy Island is like juggling flaming torches in an explosives store."  SFD said worried.
"Relax.  First, it ain't 'dine.  Second, dock 11 is under our control."  Ms. Liberty said.
"Ok, so what do I tell my friend."  SFD asked
Ms. Liberty gave him his instructions.  SFD left with the round of cheese in his pocket.
"Gordon, bring in my lunch, and get some more cheese, mine just walked out the door."  Ms. Liberty said into the intercom.
"The Dragon again?"  Gordon said via the intercom.
"The Dragon again."  Ms. Liberty answered via the intercom.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 04:20:49 AM by Paragon Avenger »

Paragon Avenger

• Circles and Triangles
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2015, 02:13:07 AM »
« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 04:26:01 AM by Paragon Avenger »

Paragon Avenger

• Circles and Triangles
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2015, 02:47:38 AM »
She picked up the phone again.  Ella knew she shouldn't.  Last time is nearly got caught, but phones are sooo tempting.  Again she randomly mashing buttons hoping for some more interesting conversation than the drugged-out wackos she is forced to live with.

"Hello, hello, who is this?  Do you have cheese?  what is your name?  How do you work this crazy thing?  Hello, hello."  Super Fire Dragon said into the phone.  This was his way of knocking off balance unknown callers.
Ella giggled to herself, this call was going to be interesting indeed.
"Good afternoon, my name is Ella, If I may have a moment of your time, I am working on a small scale study on the quality of life through positive outlooks.  If you would let me, I would like to ask you to briefly describe how you see the world around you and what you find is the best about it."

Super Fire Dragon thought for a second, somebody is calling him to ask him what he thinks.  Nobody had ever done that before.  "Ok, Ella.  I will play along.  How may I assist you with this study that you're conducting?  Does it involve numbers?"  SFD said

"Great!  The first question is your full name for the files."

"Dr. Super Rev. Super Fire Dragon, Sr. MS, MD, MJ, MV, WQ, RT, W4, 7Cheese"  Super Fire Dragon made up stuff.

"Excellant, sex?"

"What, over the phone?"

Ella turned beet red, although she wasn't naive, she hadn't had very much contact with boys, it was an all girls foster home.  "No.  I mean what is your sex or gender?"

"I'm a male dragon."

"Occupation?"

"Superhero."

"Com'on."  Ella couldn't believe her ears.

"Yes, I'm Super Fire Dragon defender of Paragon City, Incarnate against the forces of evil."

He is either a good liar, crazy or Super Fire Dragon.  It must be he, after all he did ask about cheese.  She could bearly contain her desire to shout that she had Super Friggin' Fire Dragon on the phone.
"Mr. Dragon, please briefly describe how you see the world around you and what you find is the best about it."

"Well, let's see I see the world around me in shades of cheese.  If I can burn it, it probably needs burning.  There's moldly cheese and don't eat that.  Somebody has to stop that purse snatching.  There's soft chees and hard cheese, stay away from the difficult cheese.  If you die, pop a wakie, that's what they are for.  So milk doesn't spoil.  It turns into cheese.  So eat the cheese before it goes bad, I mean am I right or am I right?  Right.  Right.  Right."

"Thank you Mr. Dragon.  I have to go lie down somewhere and take my medicine."

"Little Girl, I haven't told you about the way smoke sneaks out at night and borrows the neighbor's car."

Ella hung up the phone and went in search of some aspirin or codone or vicatin.

"Hello, hello, little girl, I need to warn you about spitting on strangers.  Hello, hello.  She hung up."  SFD said into the phone.  The dragon shrugged his shoulders and went back to his day job, fan fiction author.

Paragon Avenger

• Circles and Triangles
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2015, 02:31:14 AM »
"Hello, Josh, like dude, I need to use the phone."  He said over the party line.
"Man, I'm worried about you.  Gary said that Ted overheard Bill saying that he saw you get two pizzas the other day.  Man, you better cut back."  Josh said.  Josh liked the guy who lived downstairs, he always had interesting stories to tell like the time he saw the Family beaten down by some weird ice hero.  Josh thought of this guy as an older brother who could teach him life's lessons.  This guy was eating two whole large pizzas in one night?  There must be something wrong.
"Look, it's not what you think."  He tried to convince Josh that everything was alright, but he couldn't very well say that he had met with Super Figgin' Fire Dragon.
"It's ok, we all have some kind of weakness, but promise me that you will get help for your cheese adiction."  Josh was genuinely concerned.
Everyone knew that once you get the cheese-monkey on your back it's just a matter of time before the powder keg explodes.

Paragon Avenger

• Circles and Triangles
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2015, 11:21:43 PM »
"So what happened, Dragon?  Did he take the bait?"  Ms. Liberty asked as Super Fire Dragon walked into her office.
"I haven't heard nothing from him."  SFD replied.
"Is this like him, to just not get in touch with you for this long?"  Ms. Liberty asked wondering what kind of contact SFD would make for other heroes.
"Not really.  Not when something cooking.  I promised that he could be my sidekick , even."  SFD explained.
"Your sidekick?  You haven't offered that since you were listening to the police scanner in King's Row."  Ms. Liberty loved bringing up the good old days when the Dragon was still in training.  It was her way of saying, "Look, I was a trainer before you were even rolled-up."
"Yeah, yeah, but this guy is different somehow.  He makes me want to be a trainer or a contact or a mentor."  SFD revealed.
"Well then, maybe you should contact him, see if he is still around."  Ms. Liberty advised.
"I can't very well go up to his apartment and ring the bell.  I'm Super Friggin Fire Dragon after all.  I might expose his secret identity."  SFD lamented.
"True, let's think of a way to get in touch with him without anyone supecting a thing."  Ms. Liberty summarized.
"Hey, wait a minute.  I got a strange telephone call from some nutty girl.  What was her name?  Lilly, Lea, Kolissa, no not Kolissa."  SFD said.
They both laughed.
Just then the telephone rung.

Paragon Avenger

• Circles and Triangles
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2015, 04:56:26 AM »
"One second, Dragon let me take this."  Ms. Liberty as she lifted the phone to her ear.
"Liberty."  Ms. Liberty answered the phone using her last name.  Anyone who didn't know her usually hangs up.
Ella was enjoying playing with the phone.  Sure a 16 year old girl should have other toys, but she had the phone.  After talking with that dragon guy, ella had to take a nap.  She thought that there are bound to be a few weirdos out there.  So she tried again to find an interesting person.

"Good afternoon, my name is Ella, If I may have a moment of your time, I am working on a small scale study on the quality of life through positive outlooks.  If you would let me, I would like to ask you to briefly describe how you see the world around you and what you find is the best about it."

"Ella, how did you get this number?"  Ms. Liberty was wondering how some college student doing some study could get through to Hero Corps.

"Ella!  That's it.  Gimme the phone."  Super Fire Dragon nearly expoded.
"What, ok."  Ms. Liberty handed the phone to the dragon.
"Ella, don't hung up, this is Super Fire Dragon, and I need your help."  SFD pleaded.
"Super Fire Dragon?  I already talked to you."  Ella said and started to hang up.
"No, wait, wait."  SFD echoed.
"I'm listening, but no talk about shades of cheese."  Ella warned.
"Ok, ok, listen I need you to do me a favor."  SFD asked.
"What's in it for me?"  Ella was playing hard to get for fun.
"Look, I can fly, so I'll fly you around the city."  SFD offered.
"Which city."  Ella asked not really caring.
"Ummm, Paragon City."  SFD replied.
"Make it Imperial City and you got a deal."  Ella said proud of herself for driving a hard bargain.
"Ok, I want you to call a telephone number and ask for Josh.  Can you do that for me?"  SFD asked.
"I think so, who is this Josh guy anyway?"  Ella asked.
"He lives above the guy I need to talk to."  SFD said.
"Why don't I just call that guy?"  Ella wondered out loud.
"That's not the way these things are done."  SFD explained.
"Oh, of course, I knew that."  Ella said trying to not sound stupid.
Super Fire Dragon gave Ella the phone number and arranged a place and time to meet for the flight.  Ella hung up the phone and started searching in the desk drawers for something to do.

"Dragon, do you think that will work?"  Ms. Liberty asked.
"Yes, Ella will call Josh and Josh will call my trainee and my trainee will call you and you will call Ella and Ella will call me."  SFD said as he walked out of the room pointing with his paws.
"There is something seriously wrong with that dragon."  Ms. Liberty said to her self.