Author Topic: OK, what now? I need a private server or the ability to run my own.  (Read 333447 times)

Surelle

Re: OK, what now? I need a private server or the ability to run my own.
« Reply #80 on: December 10, 2012, 02:38:51 PM »
Obviously I would love to add my name to this non-existent PM list and effort.

Yes, me too please. 

Tanglefoe

• Lieutenant
« Reply #81 on: December 10, 2012, 02:49:44 PM »
Checking my messages daily, for no particular reason...

Don't know why I'm posting this here since this is NOT a PM list or anything :-X

CG

• Elite Boss
« Reply #82 on: December 10, 2012, 03:18:57 PM »

Don't know why I'm posting this here since this is NOT a PM list or anything :-X
Seriously guys, it's going to take months.  Personally, I figure an announcement for a private server will happen at the anniversary of the shutdown.  Be cool.  It's a marathon, not a sprint.

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #83 on: December 10, 2012, 03:40:17 PM »

Honestly I wouldn't expect to hear anything for quite some time.

From my rather extensive experience with the client, I can tell you that while the client does contain most of the assets, the majority of the game processing happens server side. Significantly more than many other MMOs, actually. WoW for instance doesn't do full physics serverside (and even line-of-sight is halfassed), which is why client hacks allow people to cheat there -- and why they need Warden. COH does all of that on the server, and the client is designed around that assumption.

Factor two is that this close to the shutdown, you can bet eyes within NCSoft are looking very closely at this community. Discussing working on such a project on an open forum would be a dumb move of epic proportions. Even trading PMs with unknown parties would be risky, and unless a very specific skill set was needed, there would be no reason to do so. I notice that even the one project that I know of that's trying an open approach has gotten very quiet lately.

Even if such a thing were being developed, it would likely be a year or more before it was even ready for beta testing, much less widespread use.

Adrenalin

• Lieutenant
« Reply #84 on: December 10, 2012, 04:47:06 PM »
Yes, I am a jerk. No, I'm not being one to you just because I feel like it. I'm being one because a) that's the only way I can think of to get you back to your senses and b) I have a very personal dislike of the "me, me!!!" attitude.

Dude, eat a snickers. You get cranky when you're hungry.

From what I can tell, a lot of these posts are tongue in cheek. I've gotten a giggle out of quite a few, and I know mine was meant that way. I mean really, trading baked goods for a nonexistent invite to a nonexistent project? It's like the ultimate in I Haz Pie.

I believe a lot of people are currently going through DTs and this is one of the ways they're expressing it. Any port in a storm, light at the end of the tunnel so to speak. I doubt anyone is thoroughly convinced that BABs is going to suddenly appear sporting a pair of fairy wings and a tutu to sprinkle fairy dust over their computers and magically hook them up to the mother of all emus.

Nafaustu

• Boss
« Reply #85 on: December 10, 2012, 07:04:51 PM »
I believe a lot of people are currently going through DTs and this is one of the ways they're expressing it. Any port in a storm, light at the end of the tunnel so to speak. I doubt anyone is thoroughly convinced that BABs is going to suddenly appear sporting a pair of fairy wings and a tutu to sprinkle fairy dust over their computers and magically hook them up to the mother of all emus.

I'm hoping for fairy wings and mouse ears and connection to a legitimate server, actually. :)
You hear that Mouse?   Shut up and take my money!

corvus1970

• Elite Boss
  • A true ruler is as moral as a Hurricane.
« Reply #86 on: December 10, 2012, 07:54:46 PM »
From what I can tell, a lot of these posts are tongue in cheek. I've gotten a giggle out of quite a few, and I know mine was meant that way. I mean really, trading baked goods for a nonexistent invite to a nonexistent project? It's like the ultimate in I Haz Pie.

Is there a PM list for Pie?  ;D
... ^o^CORVUS^o^
"...if nothing we do matters, than all that matters is what we do."
http://corvus1970.deviantart.com/

sl701

• Minion
« Reply #87 on: December 10, 2012, 08:06:40 PM »
Is there a PM list for Pie?  ;D

And beer? My wive bakes cookies atm... I can put you on that list, though  ;)

Colette

• Elite Boss
« Reply #88 on: December 10, 2012, 08:08:07 PM »
If Disney acquires CoH, a set of mouse ears in the costume creator is an absolute must!

And I expect Gus, Ezra and Phineas in the Night Ward.

Atlantea

• Elite Boss
« Reply #89 on: December 10, 2012, 08:26:12 PM »
I know of at least 2 people who specifically play mouse-girls instead of cat-girls who would LOVE that.

*ahem*

Not that... you know... there's anything wrong with that....

>.>

Adrenalin

• Lieutenant
« Reply #90 on: December 10, 2012, 09:16:09 PM »
@Nafaustu; agreed.

@corvus1970; Sorry, but after the horrible Cumberland Gap pie incident of 1982 the USPS has requested that large amounts of pies not be shipped. You know the drill, if you get one everyone will want one. For a connection to CoH I can make sure one is hand delivered, otherwise... not so much.  ;)

AlienOne

• HumanZero
  • Elite Boss
  • Resident Kheldian
« Reply #91 on: December 11, 2012, 12:14:19 AM »
I'd also like to get added to the pie list as well.

I have no other qualifications in that department other than the fact that I like pie.

I may get slammed for that too...
"What COH did was to show [developers of other] MMOs what they could be like if they gave up on controlling everything in the game, and just made it something great to play."  - Johnny Joy Bringer

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #92 on: December 11, 2012, 12:57:09 AM »
Discussing working on such a project on an open forum would be a dumb move of epic proportions. Even trading PMs with unknown parties would be risky, and unless a very specific skill set was needed, there would be no reason to do so. I notice that even the one project that I know of that's trying an open approach has gotten very quiet lately.
Honestly, if I had a private server running somewhere, anyone that discussed the possibility of finding a private server in a publicly visible forum like this one would automatically remove themselves from the list of possible invites.  Not because I'm a jerk, mind you - not that I'm saying I'm not; draw your own conclusions - but I'd be taking extreme measures to prevent even a hint that the server existed from making its way back to NCsoft.

But that's me.  I tend to be a little over-cautious.
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

corvus1970

• Elite Boss
  • A true ruler is as moral as a Hurricane.
« Reply #93 on: December 11, 2012, 01:32:41 AM »
I may get slammed for that too...

Possibly. There are a few of those rabid fruit-cobbler purists out there after all :D
... ^o^CORVUS^o^
"...if nothing we do matters, than all that matters is what we do."
http://corvus1970.deviantart.com/

CoyoteSeven

• Boss
    • My Twitter
« Reply #94 on: December 11, 2012, 01:58:47 AM »
I might be curious about this PM list thingie. Hypothetically!

houtex

• Elite Boss
  • I was the turkey all along! MEE!
« Reply #95 on: December 11, 2012, 04:49:10 AM »
Oh, what the heck.  Lemme express that, should there accidentally be some sort of PM thing happen, I would read it, then throw it away, of course.  I mean, who would actually run such a thing? 

>.>
<.<

What?

Blue Pulsar

• Boss
  • Epic Mediocrity
« Reply #96 on: December 11, 2012, 07:20:56 AM »
Yes, I am a jerk. No, I'm not being one to you just because I feel like it. I'm being one because a) that's the only way I can think of to get you back to your senses and b) I have a very personal dislike of the "me, me!!!" attitude.

If your intention is to get people back to their senses, then you have chosen the wrong forum... AND the wrong community. The CoX fanbase on Titan has never really been known for taking things sensibly. They/we are here to follow the game nearly religiously and it has served them/us well for many years.

Also, if you dislike the "me, me!!!" attitude, then you are again in the wrong place. The entire campaign of Save CoH is all about hundreds, if not thousands, of unified voices saying "Me!" Or, more appropriately, "Mine!" As in, "My city!" I would venture to guess that everyone on this forum (save for you and anyone with your mindset) is here because they want to see their game, their community, their "home", returned to them. We are not in this for other people, we are in this for ourselves. Get over it and join us or get out.

(You're not the only one that can be a jerk.)
Blue Pulsar - 50 nrg/kin def - first toon - Liberty
Bane of Lanur - 52 nec/dark MM - Main vill - Liberty
Destan H. - 53 SS/FA brute - Farm/PvP hybrid - Freedom
Destan's Fury - 53 StJ/Regen brute - PvPer - Freedom
Destan's Shadow Gang - 53 Thug/Dark MM - PvPer - Freedom

mikoroshi

• Boss
  • Author, Owner of Dogs
    • My Twitter
« Reply #97 on: December 11, 2012, 07:28:36 AM »
Guys.  Eat something.

If you see me posting here, you need to tell me to stop it and get back to writing.

healix

• Elite Boss
  • Every good friend was once a stranger
« Reply #98 on: December 11, 2012, 08:08:21 AM »
MMMMMMMMMMMMM....it's good to be me again
Listen to the 'mustn'ts'. Listen to the 'don'ts'. Listen to the 'shouldn'ts', the 'impossibles', the 'won'ts'. Listen to the 'you'll never haves', then listen close to me... Anything can happen . Anything can be.

Triplash

• Elite Boss
« Reply #99 on: December 11, 2012, 08:32:23 AM »
hundreds, if not thousands, of unified voices saying "Me!" Or, more appropriately, "Mine!"

...I had to, couldn't resist it. :)