Author Topic: OK, what now? I need a private server or the ability to run my own.  (Read 333250 times)

grumpyguy

• Underling
Re: OK, what now? I need a private server or the ability to run my own.
« Reply #60 on: December 09, 2012, 12:25:37 PM »

Mindscythe

• Lieutenant
  • "Any world is what you make of it."
    • SoR Radio
« Reply #61 on: December 09, 2012, 01:55:39 PM »
I'm an 8 1/2 year vet, beta-tester for several of the later issues, and DJ on w00t Radio for the last few years it was in existence.

If a non-existent PM list were not non-existent, I would enjoy assisting in beta-testing / whatever. :) -Mindscythe
"Radio... Radio... RADIO FREE OPPORTUNITY!"

http://www.profj.org/theradiospeaks/

Kistulot

• Elite Boss
  • Argentum Weritas Est!
« Reply #62 on: December 09, 2012, 02:07:12 PM »
I miss my toons more than people!

You're implying your toons arent people!

BLASPHEMER!

Imagine I'm pointing and giving you a bodysnatchers scream.
Woo! - Argent Girl

Blue Pulsar

• Boss
  • Epic Mediocrity
« Reply #63 on: December 09, 2012, 02:21:59 PM »
Imagine I'm pointing and giving you a bodysnatchers scream.

This vision sent chills down my spine.
Blue Pulsar - 50 nrg/kin def - first toon - Liberty
Bane of Lanur - 52 nec/dark MM - Main vill - Liberty
Destan H. - 53 SS/FA brute - Farm/PvP hybrid - Freedom
Destan's Fury - 53 StJ/Regen brute - PvPer - Freedom
Destan's Shadow Gang - 53 Thug/Dark MM - PvPer - Freedom

Adrenalin

• Lieutenant
« Reply #64 on: December 09, 2012, 02:22:35 PM »
8 1/2 year vet here and I can bake. Cookies, cakes, pie... I'd be willing to trade PMs for snack type foods.  ;D

chasearcanum

• Boss
« Reply #65 on: December 09, 2012, 04:19:16 PM »
<hikes up pants>
You sayin' yer better'n me?
<spits chaw>

Of course not.  I couldn't pick someone as obvious as you dwturducken to use as an example.  Your inclusion is practically a given.  You're a no-brainer really...

... um... not that you're a no-brainer... I mean... you'd have to be a real dummy to n.. no, I didn't mean YOU were a real dummy... err...
(backs out of the thread slowly)

Atlantea

• Elite Boss
« Reply #66 on: December 09, 2012, 05:51:18 PM »
Of course not.  I couldn't pick someone as obvious as you dwturducken to use as an example.  Your inclusion is practically a given.  You're a no-brainer really...

... um... not that you're a no-brainer... I mean... you'd have to be a real dummy to n.. no, I didn't mean YOU were a real dummy... err...
(backs out of the thread slowly)

Here sir. Some Grey Poupon to make the shoe leather go down better. :P

AlienOne

• HumanZero
  • Elite Boss
  • Resident Kheldian
« Reply #67 on: December 10, 2012, 02:51:57 AM »
I would be intensely interested in getting a PM as well for beta testing, if there is such a thing going on right now... If whoever is doing the "background checks" on people has access to the backed-up CoH forums, you can check my 1,500+ post count, the extensive human-form Warshade guide I wrote several years ago (I have a copy of it myself), and my post history here to show that I've been around a while and know the game inside and out--particularly the Kheldian portion of the game.

I got a beta invite for the game in 2004, opted out of it, and then started playing in 2005 after a friend of mine told me I should really try it. I got hooked on it and played it off and on until 2006, when I joined the CoH forums (these forums in 2008) and REALLY started getting involved in the game and finding everything out about it that I could, as well as being a regular poster in the Kheldian section of the forums for years. My human-forum Warshade guide was looked at as the go-to guide for gaining knowledge on Warshade builds, and I kept it regularly updated up until about a year ago, when I got busy with finishing my degree. I've always looked up to the Titan guys, because I credit the team that made and maintained Mid's Hero Designer for getting me truly addicted to CoH enough to start writing guides. I literally was in Mid's as often as I was playing CoH, and that was a lot.

I'm not a programmer, but I have a background in marketing, professional video/audio editing, and public affairs (press relations), so if there's anything I can do to help in addition to beta testing, I'd be glad to help.

Here's a screenshot of my main toon (My namesake, AlienOne--A Warshade, of course) being told how many hours he'd been on patrol right before the servers got shut down:

1,985 hours. On one toon.

I already miss this game terribly, and I've made four attempts already to re-make my main CoH character in CO, and just didn't have the heart to take it past the tutorial. It's just not the same.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 02:58:05 AM by AlienOne »
"What COH did was to show [developers of other] MMOs what they could be like if they gave up on controlling everything in the game, and just made it something great to play."  - Johnny Joy Bringer

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #68 on: December 10, 2012, 03:32:44 AM »
Obviously I would love to add my name to this non-existent PM list and effort.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

Septipheran

« Reply #69 on: December 10, 2012, 04:45:36 AM »
Hey Alien! I know you were a fellow human Warshade here in COH, but perhaps you'll still find this video inspiring in terms of the creativity possible with Champions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2kT2zXThto&feature=g-crec-u

Peregrine Falcon

• Lieutenant
« Reply #70 on: December 10, 2012, 05:10:19 AM »
This is how we're doing this? Seriously? Not to be a jerk, but why have sign up by PM? And what's to prevent an NCSoft employee from signing up this way in order to get the necessary info?

Look, I'm all for a private server or better yet some bit of downloadable code that allows me to run CoH on my machine as a single-player game, but don't think that this super secret PM list is going to keep NCSoft from finding out about anything you have going on.

Realistically the only thing that will prevent NCSoft from finding out about, and shutting down, a private server will be: A) it's physically located in a country that doesn't have laws against this and won't cooperate with SK/USA (like Russia?), or B) too much time passes and they simply no longer care.

Now that being said, in a couple of years, when this project is ready, and NCSoft's forgotten all about Paragon City... I hope that I also receive a PM.
Paragon City refugee - "We're heroes, it's what we do."

MWRuger

• New Efforts # 1,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • The Devil is in the details! Quick! Get him out!
« Reply #71 on: December 10, 2012, 05:19:07 AM »
Yeah, when it happens, I definitely would like a PM.
AKA TheDevilYouKnow
Return of CoH - Oh My God! It looks like it can happen!

Blue Pulsar

• Boss
  • Epic Mediocrity
« Reply #72 on: December 10, 2012, 06:15:10 AM »
This is how we're doing this? Seriously? Not to be a jerk, but why have sign up by PM? And what's to prevent an NCSoft employee from signing up this way in order to get the necessary info?

I would expect the person(s) spearheading the project to have the sense of mind to invite people they could trust. Take myself for example. Although I've been around since before the first issue, I just recently joined this site. (For nostalgic reasons and also to stay connected with the community since NCSlut closed down the main forums.) And at that, I only have a few posts under my belt. I honestly doubt if I'm anywhere near the first wave of people to get invited to this server. If I even do get invited that is. I just threw my name in the hat, so-to-speak, to show support and on the off chance that someone important recognizes me and I actually DO get invited.
Blue Pulsar - 50 nrg/kin def - first toon - Liberty
Bane of Lanur - 52 nec/dark MM - Main vill - Liberty
Destan H. - 53 SS/FA brute - Farm/PvP hybrid - Freedom
Destan's Fury - 53 StJ/Regen brute - PvPer - Freedom
Destan's Shadow Gang - 53 Thug/Dark MM - PvPer - Freedom

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #73 on: December 10, 2012, 06:33:11 AM »

Look, I'm all for a private server or better yet some bit of downloadable code that allows me to run CoH on my machine as a single-player game, but don't think that this super secret PM list is going to keep NCSoft from finding out about anything you have going on.

Realistically the only thing that will prevent NCSoft from finding out about, and shutting down, a private server will be: A) it's physically located in a country that doesn't have laws against this and won't cooperate with SK/USA (like Russia?), or B) too much time passes and they simply no longer care.

Now that being said, in a couple of years, when this project is ready, and NCSoft's forgotten all about Paragon City... I hope that I also receive a PM.

Well played, sir...
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Mandrake

• Boss
« Reply #74 on: December 10, 2012, 07:22:31 AM »
I would expect the person(s) spearheading the project to have the sense of mind to invite people they could trust. Take myself for example. Although I've been around since before the first issue, I just recently joined this site. (For nostalgic reasons and also to stay connected with the community since NCSlut closed down the main forums.) And at that, I only have a few posts under my belt. I honestly doubt if I'm anywhere near the first wave of people to get invited to this server. If I even do get invited that is. I just threw my name in the hat, so-to-speak, to show support and on the off chance that someone important recognizes me and I actually DO get invited.

Agreed. I seriously doubt that those providing the future hopeful project would not have taken all possibilities into consideration. There are many tools especially these days I am sure they would use to ensure they are following what they feel are secure procedures.

mikoroshi

• Boss
  • Author, Owner of Dogs
    • My Twitter
« Reply #75 on: December 10, 2012, 07:26:46 AM »
I would be interested in receiving a P of the M as well.
If you see me posting here, you need to tell me to stop it and get back to writing.

The Fifth Horseman

• Elite Boss
  • Outside known realities.
« Reply #76 on: December 10, 2012, 09:37:32 AM »
No, we're not. It started with this paragraph in third post of this thread:
Perhaps someone will private message you with their private efforts that are not on a public server where NCSoft can see it, find you both, and know where send the Cease and Decist letter they would need to slightly modify from their recent Tabula Rasa squelch experiances.  :)
\
And ever since, this thread turned into what can only be described as a beg-fest.

Let's get some goddamn facts straight:
* This is not a recruitment thread.
* There is no PM list.
* There is no working private server yet.

*Horseman snorts derisively*
And I really think that begging like this is undignified and entirely pointless. If you know the right people and they know your skill set, they will find you when they need it.
We were heroes. We were villains. At the end of the world we all fought as one. It's what we did that defines us.
The end occurred pretty much as we predicted: all servers redlining until midnight... and then no servers to go around.

Somewhere beyond time and space, if you look hard you might find a flash of silver trailing crimson: a lone lost Spartan on his way home.

AlienOne

• HumanZero
  • Elite Boss
  • Resident Kheldian
« Reply #77 on: December 10, 2012, 11:04:13 AM »
No, we're not. It started with this paragraph in third post of this thread:\
And ever since, this thread turned into what can only be described as a beg-fest.

Let's get some goddamn facts straight:
* This is not a recruitment thread.
* There is no PM list.
* There is no working private server yet.

*Horseman snorts derisively*
And I really think that begging like this is undignified and entirely pointless. If you know the right people and they know your skill set, they will find you when they need it.

...and the only way you get to know "people" and the only way they get to know what you can do is for you to tell them.

Like in this thread.

Honestly, if I were a moderator, I'd rather everyone post what their skillsets were and what they felt their qualifications were for getting involved in a project like this in one thread (like this one), rather than creating 150 new unique threads, each for one person introducing themselves and explaining what they're about.

This way, it gives one resource to go to when looking for someone with a specific skillset.

Get off your high "horse" and stop looking at it like "begging." Most of us simply stated we would like to be included and stated why. We're all adults here.
"What COH did was to show [developers of other] MMOs what they could be like if they gave up on controlling everything in the game, and just made it something great to play."  - Johnny Joy Bringer

The Fifth Horseman

• Elite Boss
  • Outside known realities.
« Reply #78 on: December 10, 2012, 12:39:01 PM »
Yes, I am a jerk. No, I'm not being one to you just because I feel like it. I'm being one because a) that's the only way I can think of to get you back to your senses and b) I have a very personal dislike of the "me, me!!!" attitude.

A group working on a private server is not just going to take on anyone who asks to be included. The reasons have been posted already in this thread, at least twice over. Requesting to be included says nothing about your trustworthiness - the project's creators are going to primarily trust people they already know.
Posting a written description of your abilities does not guarantee you actually have that skill set, much less your competence in it. You can only prove that by showing your work or helping with another project known to the private server's creators.
Did the group working on the private server open public recruitment? No, and no matter how much requests are going to be posted here, it is not going to happen. Do people who post their requests here improve their chance of being recruited? No, and in fact you may be damaging your chances of getting in, as the overall tone here is leaning towards "let me in to play the game" and not "can my skills be of any help?".
We were heroes. We were villains. At the end of the world we all fought as one. It's what we did that defines us.
The end occurred pretty much as we predicted: all servers redlining until midnight... and then no servers to go around.

Somewhere beyond time and space, if you look hard you might find a flash of silver trailing crimson: a lone lost Spartan on his way home.

corvus1970

• Elite Boss
  • A true ruler is as moral as a Hurricane.
« Reply #79 on: December 10, 2012, 02:07:04 PM »
You know what? When some people get whiny and angry because they didn't get invited to the party, then perhaps your harsh diatribe will apply.

Until then, I'll just run with your own admission...

Yes, I am a jerk.
... ^o^CORVUS^o^
"...if nothing we do matters, than all that matters is what we do."
http://corvus1970.deviantart.com/