Author Topic: OK, what now? I need a private server or the ability to run my own.  (Read 333429 times)

The Fifth Horseman

• Elite Boss
  • Outside known realities.
Re: OK, what now? I need a private server or the ability to run my own.
« Reply #460 on: March 23, 2013, 04:33:10 PM »
Listen, i think we can require the legal rigths about "Architect" Mishes that we created. Please, chek it .
Most likely not. Copyright does not qeual control, and as far as I understand it we consented to give NCSoft a license to use the missions when we submitted them - but they were under no obligation to store or preserve that content.
In fact, NCSoft would be more inclined to just wipe the data from their servers - that is, of course, assuming they haven't done it already - as that would remove the subject matter of any ownership claims you or anyone else may file.
We were heroes. We were villains. At the end of the world we all fought as one. It's what we did that defines us.
The end occurred pretty much as we predicted: all servers redlining until midnight... and then no servers to go around.

Somewhere beyond time and space, if you look hard you might find a flash of silver trailing crimson: a lone lost Spartan on his way home.

LadyVamp

• Elite Boss
« Reply #461 on: March 23, 2013, 05:00:59 PM »
In fact, NCSoft would be more inclined to just wipe the data from their servers - that is, of course, assuming they haven't done it already - as that would remove the subject matter of any ownership claims you or anyone else may file.

Having been in that world from the sysadmin side and working with legal teams, I can already tell you they took multiple full backups of their servers prior to wiping them out.  Their legal team would need this should a lawsuit form later.  If they didn't they'd have some serious problems as the courts would likely grant sanctions against them.  That discovery phase can be pretty nasty.  I had to deal with the restoration when a company I worked for shutdown a division I was a sysadmin for.  Constant requests for restores of data for the legal team to sanitize for turn over to the other legal team requesting the documents.  The point of the multiple backups is backup media isn't nearly as reliable as the companies that make it would have you believe.

No Surrender!

Matthew Orlock

• Underling
« Reply #462 on: March 24, 2013, 04:38:21 AM »
Friend tells me they were hit by a trojan trying to download one of the files linked here. Not sure what the deal is with that but best everyone be very careful in any reguard.

Kriiden

• Lieutenant
« Reply #463 on: March 24, 2013, 04:55:36 AM »
Friend tells me they were hit by a trojan trying to download one of the files linked here. Not sure what the deal is with that but best everyone be very careful in any reguard.

Chances are, it wasn't a virus. Many virus protection programs define many common file types as viruses, just because they way they behave. Chances are it isn't a virus, and your (their) protection is just being picky.

Also, if it was posted here, chances are it's safe. It isn't a 100% guarantee. I just can't see any of our community uploading malicious software, for the intent to harm others.

Is it possible? Sure. Unlikely, very much so. You just need to be careful. Don't download anything you don't trust.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 05:03:45 AM by Kriiden »

Heroette

• Elite Boss
  • Penelope Pistol lives forever in my heart.
« Reply #464 on: March 24, 2013, 05:01:26 PM »
I ended up getting a virus when I tried to download the client from SEGS but I think thats because I think I downloaded the wrong thing.  There are many "download buttons" on the screen.  I think it was "Find22" browser hijack.  I had to restore my computer to an earlier date to get rid of it.  But I finally did get it downloaded.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #465 on: March 25, 2013, 12:27:24 PM »
I didn't get any troubling 'ware from SEGS, but my son ended up with the searchnu hijacker on his laptop that survived a reset to factory defaults from the recovery partition. Nothing I could do would remove it. Fortunately, it was limited to Chrome, so I just uninstalled it and put Firefox on. And removed his install privileges.

I used to be really good at removing malware, but these hijackers are getting into places that I can't seem to reach. And, yes, I checked forums. That particular hijacker cost me the better part of a day.
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Segev

• Plan Z: Interim Producer
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #466 on: March 25, 2013, 12:39:54 PM »
I am not particularly adept at malware-fighting; last time I had a major problem with one, I spent most of a week's worth of spare time hunting down precisely what it was by file name, locating it using an anti-virus scanner (that couldn't remove it, just find it), and then hunting on google for a solution. That particular one required me to root-kit my own PC, reboot into a mode the root kit could open, delete the program, then reboot again, bypass boot-up with the root kit to get to it a second time before it could copy itself as part of the boot process, and finally delete it and its installer out of my registry and my hard drive while the root kit held my computer in a barely-running, access-your-files-with-no-security-against-screwing-up-at-all state.

I then had to reboot it a penultimate time, still bypassing things, to make sure it was gone. Finally, I could reboot it normally.

Oh, and the root kit had to be renamed to something other than its actual file type or the virus would delete the root kit before I could reboot my computer. I forget the precise way I had to go about activating said rootkit to get around that.

Let me tell you: I was leery of using a root kit; what if I was giving control of my computer to somebody else? Fortunately, I did research it carefully and identified a place that had a lot of positive recommendations from well-thought-out posters and was backed up by references from outside sources, and it did work. So my computer was mine again. But holy cow was that a lot of work. x_x

(This was a few years ago, now.)

Kriiden

• Lieutenant
« Reply #467 on: March 26, 2013, 12:13:21 AM »
I am not particularly adept at malware-fighting; last time I had a major problem with one, I spent most of a week's worth of spare time hunting down precisely what it was by file name, locating it using an anti-virus scanner (that couldn't remove it, just find it), and then hunting on google for a solution. That particular one required me to root-kit my own PC, reboot into a mode the root kit could open, delete the program, then reboot again, bypass boot-up with the root kit to get to it a second time before it could copy itself as part of the boot process, and finally delete it and its installer out of my registry and my hard drive while the root kit held my computer in a barely-running, access-your-files-with-no-security-against-screwing-up-at-all state.

I then had to reboot it a penultimate time, still bypassing things, to make sure it was gone. Finally, I could reboot it normally.

Oh, and the root kit had to be renamed to something other than its actual file type or the virus would delete the root kit before I could reboot my computer. I forget the precise way I had to go about activating said rootkit to get around that.

Let me tell you: I was leery of using a root kit; what if I was giving control of my computer to somebody else? Fortunately, I did research it carefully and identified a place that had a lot of positive recommendations from well-thought-out posters and was backed up by references from outside sources, and it did work. So my computer was mine again. But holy cow was that a lot of work. x_x

That sounds like a ton of fun. Wish I could have that kind of fun.

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #468 on: March 26, 2013, 01:31:59 AM »
Malwarebyte should be on every single system.

It is without doubt the best removal tool I have ever used. Boot into Safemode and run Malwarebyte and it will clean almost anything.

Illusionss

• Elite Boss
« Reply #469 on: March 26, 2013, 03:13:06 AM »
Wow, I probably would have lugged my tower outside and put an axe through it before I tried anything like that.  8)

I've always been one to cut the Gordian knot, patience is not a virtue of mine. But yikes.

Segev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #470 on: March 26, 2013, 01:46:44 PM »
Malwarebyte should be on every single system.

It is without doubt the best removal tool I have ever used. Boot into Safemode and run Malwarebyte and it will clean almost anything.
That was part of the second step in the process. I got it after my antivirus found it. Malwarebyte let me boot into safemode so the root kit could get installed. If I had the root kit installer as a .exe outside of that, it would be deleted before I could use it.

I forget the name of the malware (it was something that had a very similar name to a legit windows process, for obvious reasons), but it was tenacious.

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #471 on: March 26, 2013, 02:16:58 PM »

Wow. That is bad but not the first case of that I heard of. And hada few computers kick bucket from that, mostly because it was about time for a new one anyways and didnt have time to do all of that with the old one.

That is why I'm also, some call it paranoid, (but until they buy me a new computer...they can call it what ever they want as it's meaningless) very very careful with stuff I download "trusted" source or not. To me trusted source dont mean a few people online saying "I downloaded it and nothing happened to me." Which is fine with me, until they get quiet when I ask, "Since you vouching for it, if this program destroys my computer, you will have $800 plus gas money money gramed to me the next day? No? Well then seeing how it's my $800 and gas on the line, then it looks like the decision of whether or not it's safe is mine to make."

Then I know some people that refuse to downlaod anything that either dont come from a major corporation and or one that dont fire off their security setting on ultra high. That is beyond my threshold but I completely understand. Computers aint cheap and not all have skills nor time to fix it. Paranoid or not, it seems to work as they dont have computers. In fact one in my closet was donated to me by one of the said person. I dont use it much but it runs liek a champ. They had it custom built and and had the chip, motherboard video card and stuff updated every so often (still run XP). But never ever had a virus in the past decade. In that time, I went through 8 units listening to people "It's safe. I download it and nothing happens." Yet not a single one put a single dollar into the replacement computer or even to get it fixed. No more listening to people on the web, I decided. I have to decide what is safe or not and they can call it paranoid, old fashioned, crazy, hootnanny for all I care. :D

Segev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #472 on: March 26, 2013, 03:12:40 PM »
As you say, it's your computer. Me, even if I was 100% positive that something was safe, I wouldn't make that promise because there's no way I could be sure a) the guy making the claim didn't already have a busted computer and was scamming me, b) that he didn't foolishly download something else, or otherwise get some malware on his machine, which he is incorrectly attributing to what I know was safe, and c) that his machine didn't just suffer a hardware failure and he doesn't know any better.

I'm certainly not spending the additional time and money to come see his device and verify, even if I were 100% confident in my ability to accurately diagnose it.

Since I am very careful about what I download, I suspect the malware got in from a banner ad or something. I've since installed adblock+; I don't know if that made a difference, as I'd only had the problem the once anyway, but it hasn't repeated. Also, the less crowded web pages ARE nice.

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #473 on: March 26, 2013, 03:19:18 PM »
As you say, it's your computer. Me, even if I was 100% positive that something was safe, I wouldn't make that promise because there's no way I could be sure a) the guy making the claim didn't already have a busted computer and was scamming me, b) that he didn't foolishly download something else, or otherwise get some malware on his machine, which he is incorrectly attributing to what I know was safe, and c) that his machine didn't just suffer a hardware failure and he doesn't know any better.

I'm certainly not spending the additional time and money to come see his device and verify, even if I were 100% confident in my ability to accurately diagnose it.

Since I am very careful about what I download, I suspect the malware got in from a banner ad or something. I've since installed adblock+; I don't know if that made a difference, as I'd only had the problem the once anyway, but it hasn't repeated. Also, the less crowded web pages ARE nice.

exactly.

That why it slightly annoys me when some people pushy or offended when ya dont want to download a program they are vouching for. Not saying at all that has happened here, which it hasnt. But they cant gurantee none of the stuff on my end. I could be telling them anything for all I know. Sometimes it's best to offer it then leave it up to the person to download it or not if they feel comfortable because ultimately it's their system and wallet.

Got to be careful about those banners. Sometimes they are tricky and a person can click on them before they realize what happened. Like there are some that move or auto size when you're trying to click on something else but just so happen to expand right where you are clicking. Next thing ya know, ya downloaded a virus.

Segev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #474 on: March 26, 2013, 03:23:03 PM »
Worse, I'm given to understand there are exploits to trick a browser into auto-executing a malware installation via the code that makes a banner "work." Since banners can have motion, interactable flash, and even (ugh) sound, they do load things into your machine's active processing.

TonyV

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
    • Paragon Wiki
« Reply #475 on: March 26, 2013, 03:34:44 PM »
For what it's worth, I can safely claim that all of our software is safe.  And we've always hosted our own files, so unless we get compromised in a very specific manner, links to our software should be safe.  I've gotten to where I absolutely loathe free download sites like CNet, Sourceforge, etc., specifically because of this reason, that they hide download links and have big, obnoxious banners and buttons that say "DOWNLOAD HERE!!!" that link to apps that are from advertisers, not what you're actually trying to download.  Definitely be VERY careful when downloading software off of a third-party web site.

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #476 on: March 26, 2013, 03:35:33 PM »
Worse, I'm given to understand there are exploits to trick a browser into auto-executing a malware installation via the code that makes a banner "work." Since banners can have motion, interactable flash, and even (ugh) sound, they do load things into your machine's active processing.
Yep.

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #477 on: March 26, 2013, 03:46:55 PM »
For what it's worth, I can safely claim that all of our software is safe.  And we've always hosted our own files, so unless we get compromised in a very specific manner, links to our software should be safe.  I've gotten to where I absolutely loathe free download sites like CNet, Sourceforge, etc., specifically because of this reason, that they hide download links and have big, obnoxious banners and buttons that say "DOWNLOAD HERE!!!" that link to apps that are from advertisers, not what you're actually trying to download.  Definitely be VERY careful when downloading software off of a third-party web site.

I don't use many free download sites and haven't used any in the past year at least. Got a tech support guy on another game requesting information that is obtained through this third party free download site. It puts me at a crossroad. While he probably means well it could add problems to.my computer. Yet he might not be able to fix issue. My security identify it as malware. Looks like I either have find and fix on my iwn ir walk away from the game.

JetFlash

• Boss
« Reply #478 on: March 26, 2013, 06:00:52 PM »

Mozilla Firefox + NoScript + AdBlock Plus + Flashblock + Ghostery =  happy Web browsing.  You may need to do some manual enables to use your trusted sites, but you won't get any of that auto-executing crap.

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #479 on: March 26, 2013, 06:50:01 PM »

Mozilla Firefox + NoScript + AdBlock Plus + Flashblock + Ghostery =  happy Web browsing.  You may need to do some manual enables to use your trusted sites, but you won't get any of that auto-executing crap.
Ah yes got Firefox about two months ago and no more ads not even on Youtube videos. I dont even bother with IE anymore. Looking back, not sure how did I manage with that or what was I thinking even using that with all the security holes IE had that seemed to get bigger with each update. Today, I'm going to even delete it off my computer totally and finally get rid of that symbol.