Author Topic: How are you handling the loss?  (Read 187433 times)

LadyVamp

• Elite Boss
Re: How are you handling the loss?
« Reply #560 on: May 27, 2013, 02:04:30 AM »
I never realized how much I counted on the presence of other people.

Coh may have started as a simple game but it grew into something beyond what the original designers foresaw.  It grew into something much bigger.  An online version of a neighborhood.  Kindred to Facebook and other online communities yet different.  Better imo that any web browser based online community.  It's no wonder we all feel that loss you just described, Illusionss.
No Surrender!

Aura Controller

• Minion
  • "Hey, is there room in that head for one more?"
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #561 on: May 27, 2013, 11:18:11 AM »

This is all great and all, but I miss you all.
And I've lost all contact with all the best friends that I made in city.
I have there emails addresses but haven't got any responses from them in... a long time now.

I feel so alone...

Guess that's why I started uploading videos to YouTube so I might get a following to interact with. Is that sad? >.>
http://www.youtube.com/user/AccidentalPsychopath

Look I'm on YouTube!
Is it OK to advertise that down here? O.o
Also does anyone ever read these?

johnrobey

• Elite Boss
  • CoH global: @Kristoff von Gelmini
« Reply #562 on: May 27, 2013, 01:24:42 PM »

This is all great and all, but I miss you all.
And I've lost all contact with all the best friends that I made in city.
I have there emails addresses but haven't got any responses from them in... a long time now.

I feel so alone...

Guess that's why I started uploading videos to YouTube so I might get a following to interact with. Is that sad? >.>
Dear Aura Controller,
No, it is NOT sad (in the sense that I "hear" you saying "sad"); however it IS sad in the sense of human loss--NCSoft created a virtual human tragedy for all of us; one can could easily been averted; indeed I think there was little to no purpose in literally destroying our world, other than their vaguely stated "realignment" of corporate focus.  (Man, I hope in time NCSoft gets a clue about just what they wrought and the karmic price for doing this!  I sure would be grateful to have them make amends.)  I recommend you try a second round of sending out emails to those old contact address just in case.  I recently heard back from one I sent months ago, telling me, oops! Sorry for the delay in replying; somehow your message wound up in my spam folder.  So sometimes glitches happen.  I am also fortunate in having 2 of 3 formerly active SG's maintaining their guildportal websites and people still log in to check these and visit and catch up with one another.

Meanwhile, until you re-connect with your friends, you have all of us here on Titan Network forums.  Yes, I know it's not the same, and I am sorry for that, but there truly are some very groovy and excellent people here!  Check out the various forums.  I am still finding comfort going thru fan threads I haven't read, and am presently enjoying some great memories and screen pictures and good humor!  /em holdtorch  If we persevere, I feel certain in time we'll have our City back.

PS.  I like your signature lines (assuming I've remembered the terminology correctly); that is this: 
http://www.youtube.com/user/AccidentalPsychopath

Look I'm on YouTube!
Is it OK to advertise that down here? O.o
Also does anyone ever read these?

So yes! I for one read those (as do others.)  Looks fine to me and while I am not into Tomb Raider, I did however very much like your Matrix Room video:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6IjkpLv2eE
« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 01:31:18 PM by johnrobey »
"We must be the change we wish to see in the world." -- Mahatma Gandhi         "In every generation there has to be some fool who will speak the truth as he sees it." -- Boris Pasternak
"Where They Have Burned Books They Will End In Burning Human Beings" -- Heinrich Heine

Illusionss

• Elite Boss
« Reply #563 on: May 27, 2013, 02:54:31 PM »
I have now flown in Atlas Park!   :)   I recreated one of my blasters and was very happy that I could Load costumes from my saved costumes files.   :) (Even bigger smile if possible.)  I also did a bit of /em holdtorch with the 2 key.  If felt odd seeing Ms. Liberty's dais empty, nor being able to access City Hall, Fort Trident, the Train Station, etc., as well as seeing Wentworth's empty.  Odd also to fly just above AP warehouses and NOT get zapped for nuisance damage by the frisky Clockwork, and odd for the parks to be devoid of Hellions and hapless citizens, but it was so good to see the City again and be able to regular run (no Sprint or other power activation options yet that I could see), jump, swim in the lake, and FLY!!!!!  Wooot!!!!

Good job, you tried it out and see, it was fun.  8)

With that said.... although this is in truth an experience with some melancholy undertones, simply being able to log in and fly around is BETTER than every other game I have tried since closure. Alone. No friends. No NPCs. Is this a testament to the greatness of our game? Or is it an indictment of how really bad everything else is?

Its both.

Access to more zones would be great - I really miss Mercy and Croatoa. You know, I didn't mind the visual revamps of Atlas and Mercy, but they changed the zone music too - and I think that should not have been done. These beginner zones in particular should have kept their music.

Now back to wondering whether Atlas has a Pocket D manhole cover.... because BadgeHunter is gone, and I just cant remember how else to get into Pocket D. I don't think Nerva has a portal to it.

Tahliah

• Lieutenant
« Reply #564 on: May 28, 2013, 01:04:10 AM »
Tahliah, this is just for you :)

OMG, I love this hideous little guy! Remember how he'd get stuck in the snow banks? Sigh.

Sorry I missed this back in December, but I'm soooo glad I saw it now.  Guess I'm just a "typical mortal, always forgetting about time." :P

Golden Girl

• One Liners and Winky Faces
  • Elite Boss
    • Heroes and Villains
« Reply #565 on: May 28, 2013, 01:13:06 AM »
Now back to wondering whether Atlas has a Pocket D manhole cover.... because BadgeHunter is gone, and I just cant remember how else to get into Pocket D. I don't think Nerva has a portal to it.

Kings Row, Faultline, Founders' Falls and Talos Island were the blue side Pocket D entrances.
"Heroes and Villains" website - http://www.heroes-and-villains.com
"Heroes and Villains" on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/HeroesAndVillainsMMORPG
"Heroes and Villains" on Twitter - https://twitter.com/Plan_Z_Studios
"Heroes and Villains" teaser trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnjKqNPfFv8
Artwork - http://goldengirlcoh.deviantart.com

Cinnder

• Boss
« Reply #566 on: May 28, 2013, 06:33:55 AM »
With that said.... although this is in truth an experience with some melancholy undertones, simply being able to log in and fly around is BETTER than every other game I have tried since closure. Alone. No friends. No NPCs.

HAHAHAHAHAHAhahahahahahahaha -- so true!...ha...ha...

Wait...

*sniffle*...*gulp*.........WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH!!!  :'(

MWRuger

• New Efforts # 1,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • The Devil is in the details! Quick! Get him out!
« Reply #567 on: June 30, 2013, 09:31:29 AM »
Well, It's been five months since I posted here on this thread.

Since then my mom died. I was caregiver for over a decade.  I not only loved her, I even liked her which is much more rare.

Broke up with my girlfriend because she was verbally abusive.

I had to stop working with Missing Media. I was just too exhausted and low on energy to do much of anything immediately after. Even now, I can't really bring myself to get back into it.

All through that time, I really thought about how much COH would have helped. I really could have used COH to brighten my day. I've tried several other MMO's and while they were fun, they just don't quite cut it.

Basically, I just feel numb and shell shocked.  So I guess I'm sorta handling it...better? I really just don't care about too much of anything right now. But I still miss City of Heroes. I just want to play again before I die.

Best,

The Devil

(sorry about the necrothread)
AKA TheDevilYouKnow
Return of CoH - Oh My God! It looks like it can happen!

TonyV

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
    • Paragon Wiki
« Reply #568 on: June 30, 2013, 04:30:58 PM »
But I still miss City of Heroes. I just want to play again before I die.

Just don't plan on going anywhere anytime soon, and we'll diligently keep working to make that happen, okay?

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #569 on: July 01, 2013, 12:10:34 AM »
Just don't plan on going anywhere anytime soon, and we'll diligently keep working to make that happen, okay?
pinky swear? :D
One day the Phoenix will rise again.

Tubbius

• Fun Title
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #570 on: July 01, 2013, 04:19:02 AM »
Awww =)  Been years since I heard or read "Pinky swear."  :)

Energycrush

• Underling
« Reply #571 on: July 02, 2013, 04:46:26 AM »
Its gone?....

CoH is really gone?

I haven't played in almost two years....I was just thinking about what MMO I felt like playing and CoH was the first thing that came to mind.  So I go to the site to redownload the launcher and I find out that....i'm 6 months too late.

I just...don't know what even....

I remember when I first started playing, it was a few months after launch and decided to give CoH a whirl after playing a couple months of WoW....

I decided to make Virtue server my home, I never left it, and my first toon was an energy/energy blaster named Energycrush, he started out with a pretty gaudy red and yellow outfit, changed the red to black later since it looked way cooler.  I remember when they first came out with the sonic powerset, someone made a funny Star Trek TNG joke about Wesley Crusher..."But MOOOOOM!!!!*screech attack*"  Oh god I laughed my ass off.

The first SG I joined was the Justice Force, an RP group and god damn I had a ton of fun with them.  But EC eventually hit 50 and after awhile I got bored and moved on to other games for awhile, mostly WoW, and left CoH alone for awhile.  I remember during that hiatus I was asked to be one of the closed beta testers for City of Villains and my interests was sparked all over again, once the beta was over and it officially launched I got back into it, making a SS/Invul brute named Big Angelo, a punk kid who was experimented on and got super powers out of it.  Played him with a thick Brooklyn accent while he wore jeans, sneakers, a t-shirt with an anarchy symbol, a black trench coat and sunglasses, and more fun was had for awhile, I played off and on for a couple years and eventually stopped again.

I got back into it again after making a new blaster, AR/devices, named Urban Warfighter, a former marine who was kidnapped by Crey Industries, had his emotions and memories wiped, and trained to be a top level assassin.  He was the prototype for a program to make high level assassins to be sold on the black market, but he went AWOL when infiltrating a targets apartment and accidentally killing the targets child which broke his programming and his conscience resurfaced.  With him I later joined the S.C.O.R.P.I.O SG, which was basically a SHIELD based spy SG, and I had fun with them for a year or two until once again I lost interest and stopped playing for awhile.

I did get back into the game for the Going Rogue expansion, made a resistance fighter street justice/willpower scrapper hero on Praetoria, but after a few months I again got tired of it and stopped, sad thing is I never got her to 50, stopped around the upper 30's.

And now....I can never play any of them again....god dammit this is like finding out a dear old friend dieing after a falling out, and never getting the chance to apologize or make up with them.

God damn I need a hug right now.....

MWRuger

• New Efforts # 1,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • The Devil is in the details! Quick! Get him out!
« Reply #572 on: July 02, 2013, 06:01:47 AM »
I am so sorry! You didn't even have a chance to say goodbye or export your toons.  :-[
AKA TheDevilYouKnow
Return of CoH - Oh My God! It looks like it can happen!

Super Firebug

• New Efforts # 20,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #573 on: July 02, 2013, 06:17:02 AM »
Hello, Energycrush and TheDevilYouKnow.

Yes, CoH is gone - for now. But, to quote Spock, "There are always possibilities."

1. Right now, Google is considering a promotional packet sent to them to try to get them to make NCSoft an offer to buy the CoH IP. (At least, I think they're still considering it; I haven't found any posts regarding anyone's having heard back from them.)
2. There are no fewer than THREE projects in the works to write a spiritual successor to CoH; when they're done by former players, you know the result will certainly be CoH-flavored, at the least.
3. It's possible that there may be an under-the-radar effort (or there may not - wink nudge) to (as I understand it) write a private-server program to make it possible to run CoH as a solo game, or as an invite-to-server game.
4. It's also possible that NCSoft may be working with Cryptic on CoH2, and therefore may have had to cancel CoH, due to contract conflicts, in order to make CoH2 possible. Your guess is as good as mine as to the likelihood (no offense intended, Joshex), but it's a comfortingly-lovely idea. The thread is here, starting with Reply #15. However, given the players' reaction to the sunset announcement, it seems to me that NCSoft might have realized that saying something about CoH2's existence would have smoothed things out some.
5. Our local hero(es), Codewalker (and company? I don't know who else is working with him) came up with Icon. It started as a way to access the costume creator offline; as of version 1.7, you can create a toon, and run/fly around in the game-zone maps. (There are links in my Reply #1118 in the Multimedia/Titan Icon thread, here.) You don't have powers or targets, but it's a start. :)
6. If you decide to play Champions Online, Star Trek Online or Neverwinter: the CoX chat channel, which you can add to your channel list, is for CoH/CoV refugees. So you'll have a bit of sympathetic company.

So hang in there, folks. The CoH/Titan community has a few cards left to play.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2013, 01:28:49 AM by Super Firebug »
Linux. Because a world without walls or fences won't need Windows or Gates.

Super Firebug

• New Efforts # 20,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #574 on: July 02, 2013, 06:48:36 AM »
I had to stop working with Missing Media. I was just too exhausted and low on energy to do much of anything immediately after. Even now, I can't really bring myself to get back into it.

If, by this, you meant Missing Worlds Media, you should check under the Phoenix Project header on these forums' front page. MWM is working on one of the CoH-successor projects.
Linux. Because a world without walls or fences won't need Windows or Gates.

Eldershinjo

• Minion
« Reply #575 on: July 02, 2013, 07:26:43 PM »
7 months?
You know, some days it feels like just yesterday I was fighting through the minions of Mot in the revamped Astoria.
Other days, it feels like an entirely different lifetime.

Honestly, how I handle the loss is dependent on the day. Sometimes I can look back on CoH and everything we as players did with fondness. Other days I just bury it all in work or other games or whatever else and not think too hard on the loss...
And then there are days that I just want 10 minutes in a locked room with whatever NCsoft exec(s) that were responsible for making the decision to close Paragon Studios and our game!  >:(

... But you know, I have learned two important things in all the time I have spent circling around the sun on this little rock.

First, is that the future really is what we make of it. Yeah, it can be hard to face sometimes, but we can either accept a fate that others think they can impose upon us, or fight for what we believe in. I have fought quite a bit in my life so far, for myself and, more importantly, those that I love and the things that I care about. I've made it this far... I'm not about to give my enemies (whoever they might be) a reason to celebrate!

And second... The world has this amazing ability to not only get you down, but to just repeatedly kick you while you're down there. But no matter how hard it does, just manage to laugh through it all and tell them 'You kick like a wuss...'  ;D
Always remember... The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing...

Tahliah

• Lieutenant
« Reply #576 on: July 10, 2013, 12:30:22 AM »

This reassurance made my day, Tony.  Thank you for everything you do. 

Kheprera

• Elite Boss
« Reply #577 on: July 12, 2013, 02:55:11 AM »
Been a while, I know. I've been on Twittee, but much of my time is consumed.

My waterheater went out. Last Friday my 70 year old mom and I moved over 1800 pounds of crap from my garage to the dump to make room for the repairmen to reach the waterheater. Over a month now, still not fixed.

Sequestration has hurt me. If not for that financial hit, I could afford to fix the damn thing. Instead our savings are getting drained. In addition, my workload has increased by a factor of three, but my paycheck is not just frozen in raises, but with loss of work days... we're hurting.

I wish I still had COH to help with frustration and stress. RL crafting is just... not the same (latchhook and cross stitch do not make you more powerful).

I'd love a Speed LAM, or even a Dr. Q destined to fail.

But I posted new commissions received in Multimedia, and my SG mates still have my back. Even met one who came from Australia for a visit!

Things gotta get better, right?

Noyjitat

• Elite Boss
  • Guess who cares?
« Reply #578 on: July 12, 2013, 05:28:18 AM »
Things gotta get better, right?

This is what I keep telling myself and trying to keep believing in. I am sorry to hear about all the other troubles you are dealing with.

Von Krieger

• Evil Emperor of German Chocolate
  • Boss
  • Silly Dragon
    • VK's FurAffinity Page
« Reply #579 on: July 16, 2013, 08:44:48 PM »
I never really realized just how ingrained CoH was into my life.

I was reading through a thread here on the board the other day, and I absently wondered how my auctions were doing, and had a momentary flash of panic that I'd forgotten to check them recently before I was able to remind myself that the game's been closed for seven months now. :(