Author Topic: How did you go out last night?  (Read 17439 times)

johnrobey

• Elite Boss
  • CoH global: @Kristoff von Gelmini
Re: How did you go out last night?
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2012, 07:55:36 PM »
Here's a bit of awesome I just found!  What a great way to go out. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdNaLitjgJs
"We must be the change we wish to see in the world." -- Mahatma Gandhi         "In every generation there has to be some fool who will speak the truth as he sees it." -- Boris Pasternak
"Where They Have Burned Books They Will End In Burning Human Beings" -- Heinrich Heine

Shinobu

• Minion
  • aka Shinobu
    • Shinobu's City of Heroes Journal
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2012, 08:49:50 PM »
I posted in m blog, but basically:

* Did the first Virtue redside hami raid in maybe a year, went off without a hitch.
* Did a Mothership Raid in which we set all 18 bombs.  I set one, working completely solo. ^_^
* Did one last destroy-all ITF.
* Did a 2nd late night blueside hami raid that was interrupted by the first of Virtue's crashes, but finished once we all got back.
* Attempted a late night 2nd redside hami raid that was going poorly when Virtue crashed again.

After the second crash, there was 50 minutes left so I just went to Atlas Park and held up my torch and talked to people in global channels.  Then Virtue crashed a third time with less than 10 minutes left.  I managed to get back in for the last minute or so before it came down for good, and I logged in my 2nd account on a character on Justice at the same time in case I didn't make it back to Virtue.

Also that video posted above is awesome.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2012, 09:03:33 PM by Organica »

corvus1970

• Elite Boss
  • A true ruler is as moral as a Hurricane.
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2012, 10:13:16 PM »
I had a very busy last day on the game, almost too busy. There were some things I wanted to do that I still managed not to get done, but I accomplished most of what I set out to do.

I spent most of the final day as as my newest level 50 "I L L Y R I A", over on Virtue. After midnight EST as the 29th turned into the 30th, I was part of a successful TPN trial, followed by successful BAF and Lambda Trials. The BAF got me a Very Rare that I needed to get my Interface slot to T-4. Following that I hopped over to AP33 to see the crowd gathered on the steps, including the ever-present and indefatigable Captain Bacon.  From there I headed to Perez Park and began to lay waste to the assembled mobs of Skulls there. I quickly got the "Bonecrusher" Badge, and before signing out I got myself 10 Skulls away from the "Kill Skuls" badge.

By this point it was after 4am, and I was tired. So I logged out there in Perez, went to bed, got up and started again at around 11am. I immediately logged on, wiped out a final mob of Skulls for the badge, and from there I went to PI and called for players to join me for PI radio missions and quick XP. I quickly filled the team, and for the next 2 hours I we started clearing out the PI radio missions easily, and eventually switched up to doing Tips missions. Anytime I lost a player, I would call for more and would quickly get the replacements needed to keep the team at a full 8 players. During this time I got 1 level 49 player to 50, and had a wonderful time all-around with players like Blight Dire, Karina Valentine, Lady Kimiko, Kinetic Motion, Cyndi's Last Defendr, Circutron 3000, and Brick Shield.

From there I went to the Victory server to get shots of my characters there in their multiple costumes on their Character ID page. Unfortunately, PSP crashed and I lost about 70 screenshots, so I had to scramble after that, and ended up setting for shots of single costumes instead for most of them.

That done, I went back to Virtue, where I joined Xian Talon, Sway Archer, and Evil Brain Eraser for an Eden trial which we completed successfully, and after that I joined a group to take down Lusca in IP and soon after saw War Witch in AP 3, and then joined a MoM Trial that failed. I followed that with a mission in DA, and planned to join an UG Trial, and that's when the first big server-crash took Virtue down.  After getting logged back in, a second crash took Virtue down again, and then I realized that my plan to end the game with "I L L Y R I A" was in possible jeopardy. So, I moved my first 50 "Avatar of RA/Ra's Avatar" back to Pinnacle where he had originated as a backup measure.

From there I captured more images of my alts on Virtue, breezed through a demo-recorded street-sweep and tour of Atlas Park as "I L L Y R I A", and spent some time in the "Matrix Room" as "Pete P. Powers", before leaving Virtue to say final goodbyes on Victory, Pinnacle, and Champion, where I did more screen-captures and fly-by demo-recordings. That done, and with only 28 minutes or so remaining before the world went dark, I again returned to Virtue briefly, until cast-off by another major server crash.

With 8 minutes to spare, I tried to return, but the delay proved to great to risk for long. I backed up, logged onto Pinnacle to spend the last minutes as "Avatar of RA". And as I said in another thread, this was, perhaps, the most fitting of ends for myself as Paragon bid us its big goodbye. At 12:59 PST I hit "self destruction" on the Atlas city-hall steps, and then, as a reflection of my hopes for a possible future with this game in it, I hit "Rise of the Phoenix", and stood once more...until the server shut down for the final time.
... ^o^CORVUS^o^
"...if nothing we do matters, than all that matters is what we do."
http://corvus1970.deviantart.com/

The Fifth Horseman

• Elite Boss
  • Outside known realities.
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2012, 12:52:39 AM »
Taking screenshots and demos off my four active characters, so that I can write epilogues for each of them. And then playing Booster Angel for the rest of the day.
We were heroes. We were villains. At the end of the world we all fought as one. It's what we did that defines us.
The end occurred pretty much as we predicted: all servers redlining until midnight... and then no servers to go around.

Somewhere beyond time and space, if you look hard you might find a flash of silver trailing crimson: a lone lost Spartan on his way home.

Foxlight

• Underling
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2012, 01:05:41 AM »
I was standing Atlas' butt. No reason to, but I was staring at it for a while whilst on the city hall steps and it had been a favorite logout spot for me in the past because it was just so dang funny.

MWDarkAge

• Underling
  • I AM THE LAW!
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2012, 01:37:31 AM »
I didn't think I could actually go on Friday night because it was so hard losing something that meant quite a lot to me. Besides, my daughter, who I think loved CoH a little more than I, was using our main account. But at 1:30am est, I jumped on to the alt account we had and played Pretzel the Squirrel one last time. Her character, Jolly Roxette, was in the middle of a Hami raid and I watched as they attempted, one last time, to defeat that mitochondrial blob. When they were done we then met up at the ski chalet in Pocket D and took a few screen shots. The serenity of the little gazebo halfway down the slopes was peaceful and quite, except for the yodeling (LOL).

Afterwards we headed to Atlas to say our fond farewells. We were mapserved and it all ended.

"Sometimes it makes me sad, though, Andy being gone. I have to remind myself that some birds aren't meant to be caged, that's all. Their feathers are just too bright...

...and when they fly away, the part of you that knows it was a sin to lock them up does rejoice...but still, the place you live is that much more drab and empty that they're gone.

I guess I just miss my friend."

Impish Kat

• Underling
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2012, 01:43:01 AM »
I am grateful to have been part of the Rangle-pocalypse on Justice.  To spend those last hours in the game laughing and being silly with a great group of people was a blessing.

In the last 15 minutes, I switched to Brigitte, the character I worked the hardest on (kin/arch proved to be a challenging combo) and my first 50.  I rejoined everyone on the steps in AP5, we set off our self-destructs at the "last minute", and had a laugh again as the server shutdown took another 5 minutes.   :roll:

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2012, 01:45:36 AM »
A few of us went out in a drum circle on Atlas' butt, joined by the aptly named Creepy Uncle (his shorty robe was disturbing).
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Tanklet

• Boss
« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2012, 01:47:28 AM »
I went out RPing in the D. Then I got disconnected, and basically went out @ the login screen :/
I called it @ 2am

Epelesker

• Boss
  • One fix at a time!
« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2012, 04:04:28 AM »
I spent the afternoon switching around some of my alts and taking a couple of screenshots with friends. I sent tells to Positron and War Witch, both responded quite quickly!

At the wind-down, I settled with the Malleable Mechanic and parked myself in an AE mission I used to stand in for his pawn shop ...and waited. The first Virtue crash worried me because my computer isn't the greatest, but I managed to wait out the queue and reload in.

The second major crash wasn't as lucky. I had just posted a thank you to the Golden Age Heroes and the mapserver message came up. I held my hand to the screen over Mechanic as I waited to get booted.

I was also wearing a dog tag with my character Vocalizer's name punched in and I had a Paragonian Knights custom coin set out on the desk.

blackjak

• Elite Boss
« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2012, 05:10:51 AM »
I spent the afternoon switching around some of my alts and taking a couple of screenshots with friends. I sent tells to Positron and War Witch, both responded quite quickly!

At the wind-down, I settled with the Malleable Mechanic and parked myself in an AE mission I used to stand in for his pawn shop ...and waited. The first Virtue crash worried me because my computer isn't the greatest, but I managed to wait out the queue and reload in.

The second major crash wasn't as lucky. I had just posted a thank you to the Golden Age Heroes and the mapserver message came up. I held my hand to the screen over Mechanic as I waited to get booted.

I was also wearing a dog tag with my character Vocalizer's name punched in and I had a Paragonian Knights custom coin set out on the desk.

I liked both of those toons in passing. Never knew ya though. Good work.
Virtue: Moonsun, Dynamo Jr., Crimson Fury, Sabre Kat, Double Sixxes, Quantum Stranger, Mystic Kirin, Pink.Eye Champion: Blackjak, Redwing Blackbird Justice: Shield Marshal Guardian: White Talon Triumph: Gosuto Union: Stellar Girl

houtex

• Elite Boss
  • I was the turkey all along! MEE!
« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2012, 05:45:51 AM »
Here's a bit of awesome I just found!  What a great way to go out. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdNaLitjgJs

I got a teensy bit verklempt at the very end.   Loved that. 

---

I simply did my thing, finished the NW4 and 5 up with my, just-leveled-the-previous-night 50 Blaster, then made both of my main brutes, the brawler, and the SS/WP one, Vigs, ran around the zones visiting them an pummelin' things...

And then, as the end was near, I got into AP4... mapserved(!), got back in AP5 (on Pinnacle, mind, all this), and 10 seconds before 2am, fired off the hated-by-me Self Destruct on Brawling Humiliator.  At the exact moment 2am happened, I posted 'BOOM' in local as BH exploded.  And stayed blowed up until the Forcibly Disconnected happened. 

I had a grin on my face, oddly enough.  I had had a really rough morning, and part of the afternoon, but that session from 5p to 2am was... awesome.  Great damn funtime.

Pinnacle represent.

æhæd

• Underling
  • Oh! Really?
« Reply #32 on: December 03, 2012, 06:05:44 AM »
I finished a Rikti Raid with around 35 minutes to go on Infinity, and headed to Atlas Park (two), still teamed with one of only two CoH players I've ever met (living in Singapore). Mr. Wentworth and his missus was running a costume contest, but my team mate preferred to go out with a fight. But what fight? I was completely at a loss, I have no favorite mission. So he checked his missions list. He had, "Save the World".

Almost 35 minutes later we 3 controllers (adding my friend's wife), aided by our trusty mission sidekicks Faultline and Lk'Onic, took down HroD'toz and Nemesis! Even better, my demorecord of the entire mission works. We even had a few moments left in the game after zero hour, so we were off to Atlas Park. But I couldn't find my Ouro portal to get me to Atlas Park with the rest of my team. In a mad panic, I found the power, put it in my tray, clicked on it, and... <stop>.

The man out of time was out of time. Into stasis at Infinity's Ouroboros zoning screen. The nexus of all things. He can go absolutely everywhere from here :)

The next few weeks I will be editing the demorecord to work as a movie. I've already enjoyed watching it twice, about 25 minutes of chaos running at +0x8. I am changing up the camera angles and dialogue to be more movie-like. Even the damage numbers change to text ("ZAP!" "OUCH!"), so it has potential. Likely it'll be forever a work in progress, but I'll make it available when I can. If you're a demorecord-er you could stick your own toon into the play, so hang on to your installations...

Timelord Tom

• RIP Timlord
  • Lieutenant
    • Paragon Radio Gallifrey
« Reply #33 on: December 03, 2012, 06:10:35 AM »
Wanted to see the end on Virtue, ended up on Liberty as Devine Pixie, on top of Atlas' globe. Been close to tears so many times since then...

I could write more, but I've already did my best to pour my heart out in a blog post. For those interested:

http://leperinastrangland.blogspot.com/2012/12/city-of-heroes-anyone-have-rez.html

faith.grins

• Boss
  • Split your lungs with blood and thunder.
« Reply #34 on: December 03, 2012, 06:20:02 AM »
Pinnacle represent.
Drunk server was best server.  I'm gonna miss Pinnbadges more than the actual game, I think.
Aram:  "Man, just look at all this.  Sometimes it's hard to believe that we get to live surrounded by such wonder."
Gamal:  "We don't live over there." Aram:  "We don't?"
Gamal:  "No.  We live over there." Aram:  "... But it's all on fire."
Gamal:  "Yes it is, Aram.  Yes it is."

Epelesker

• Boss
  • One fix at a time!
« Reply #35 on: December 03, 2012, 06:24:37 AM »
I liked both of those toons in passing. Never knew ya though. Good work.
Thanks for the compliment! I've always tried to work hard on making concepts. I was attached to Mechanic in particular, but it's always difficult to call clear favorites out of my alts because they each have some kind of unique quirk.

* Vocalizer and National Capital were left on the overpasses north of City Hall.
* Kid Draconian's lair is at the foot of the Serpent's Teeth waterfall in Talos.
* Action Trooper is in front of Crowne Memorial.
* Kicking Horse is outside Drenched Donuts.
* Titan Torch is by one of the "matchstick" buildings on the east side of Steel Canyon...
* ...while Gumption overlooks the Blyde Square statue from a skyscraper roof.

That's all I recall offhand.

Night-Hawk07

• Elite Boss
« Reply #36 on: December 03, 2012, 06:37:26 AM »
Spent a little while taking screenshots with my characters' backstories pulled up through Personal Info, and at the same time saving those toons through Sentinel+. Then ran through as much of Pandora's Box as I could. With about a half-an-hour to go, I went to Atlas and started streetsweeping until about two minutes to go, then joined everyone else at City Hall.

Doc Artz

• Lieutenant
  • Infinity, SG leader of The Moon Dragons
    • Behance
« Reply #37 on: August 30, 2016, 03:23:30 AM »
I went out in the middle of one last Rikti Raid on Guardian.  We took our time getting through pylons, and then with about 30 minutes left before the end, we all piled into the bowl one last time to send the Rikti packin'.  It was the usual Raid madness and mayhem and it ended in perfect time.  At 12:04 the shields went back up on the Mothership, and in the midst of the respawn process Guardian went offline.  I couldn't have asked for a better way to end it for the Hamster, on whom I ran many a Raid in the last few years.  It was a tossup when I first logged on as to whether I'd join the Raid, or try to get an ITF done one more time on Radek, my Brute, but a team of eight versus a zone full?  It really was no contest, heh.

My last two shots of the night:

What  fantastic screen shots.  Nothing like going down and taking some baddies with ya ;D
 8)
Doc Artz