Author Topic: Anyone have packet logs?  (Read 2779 times)

CG

• Elite Boss
Anyone have packet logs?
« on: December 05, 2012, 02:15:58 PM »
I was thinking I'd be ready to let CoH go after the shutdown, but turns out I was wrong.  However, I have an idea!

I was thinking if I could get past the login screen and the server select to the character screen, this would give access to the current character creation engine.  IIRC, it allows you to load/save files for later use.  I think these files are compatible with demorecord.

My problem is that replicating this data without an active server would be very difficult.  I'll check out SEGS and see where that's at.

Does anyone have packet logs from their games from a tool like Wireshark?  Does anyone have any info on the protocol between client and server?  Does anyone know a friendly former Paragon employee willing to drop some anonymous tips?

The nice thing about this is I would write it in Qt, which will compile for a Mac, so you Mac people wouldn't be left out.

Thanks.

Arachnion

• Elite Boss
  • Professional Cynic
Re: Anyone have packet logs?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2012, 06:10:32 PM »
There's *some* stuff about what IP/server the client connects to, and a shortcut command (-etc EDIT: this is just an example, not the actual command FYI) that should get you past the login screen and to the server list... somewhere around here.

Go snoop around the demorecording and related technical threads, here in GD and multimedia. The stuff has to be there somewhere.

Sorry I can't recall where it is exactly.
I'm all dressed up with nowhere to go
Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder

Waiting for an invitation to arrive
Goin' to a party where no one's still alive

CG

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2012, 06:34:05 PM »
Yes, I found what you were referencing.  Thank you.

Is there any central repository for what we know about the server, command line arguments or coding in general related to CoH?

Codewalker seems very knowledgeable, has he created anything?

Arachnion

• Elite Boss
  • Professional Cynic
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2012, 06:41:55 PM »
Yes, I found what you were referencing.  Thank you.

Is there any central repository for what we know about the server, command line arguments or coding in general related to CoH?

Codewalker seems very knowledgeable, has he created anything?

I can't think of any public central repositories for CoH coding, no.

Check Paragon Wiki:

http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Game_Client
http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Category:Game_Client

The Fifth Horseman

• Elite Boss
  • Outside known realities.
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2012, 08:17:21 PM »
Ask the SEGS developer, he might have an idea or two.
We were heroes. We were villains. At the end of the world we all fought as one. It's what we did that defines us.
The end occurred pretty much as we predicted: all servers redlining until midnight... and then no servers to go around.

Somewhere beyond time and space, if you look hard you might find a flash of silver trailing crimson: a lone lost Spartan on his way home.

redgiant

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2012, 01:05:32 PM »
SEGS proof-of-concept from a few years ago showed getting the tutorial mapserved, but you couldn't move around or play.

I remember seeing a ss of a character standing at the starting spot in Outbreak.

Without logs, I hope you are good with IDA, Olly or similar executable debugger, know assembly language and typical compiled C/C++ patterns, and can write NetMon protocol parser plugins to easily display traffic as you learn about it.

That said, look at SEGS on Sourceforge; in GameEvents the serializeto methods give you an idea of the message packing and structure sent back to the client (serializefrom are incoming messages to the server). And things like characters and costumes will look pretty familiar if you know formats like .cohdemo or Sentinel.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 01:36:04 PM by redgian »

CG

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2012, 03:07:39 PM »
SEGS proof-of-concept from a few years ago showed getting the tutorial mapserved, but you couldn't move around or play.

I remember seeing a ss of a character standing at the starting spot in Outbreak.

Without logs, I hope you are good with IDA, Olly or similar executable debugger, know assembly language and typical compiled C/C++ patterns, and can write NetMon protocol parser plugins to easily display traffic as you learn about it.

That said, look at SEGS on Sourceforge; in GameEvents the serializeto methods give you an idea of the message packing and structure sent back to the client (serializefrom are incoming messages to the server). And things like characters and costumes will look pretty familiar if you know formats like .cohdemo or Sentinel.
I write software for a living.  Learning new tools isn't a big deal.  I've downloaded the SEGS source and I'll take a look at it.

The problem is knowledge and without a working server to get information about the proper responses, it's going to be very hard.  I have some of my own ideas, but I think there is knowledge out there among the userbase.  Currently, I think people are holding on to their knowledge in hopes that the game gets revived.  I'm cool with that.  I would hope at some point in the future, if the game isn't coming back, that knowledge would be shared so the community can try and build upon it.

The Fifth Horseman

• Elite Boss
  • Outside known realities.
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2012, 03:44:35 PM »
There is also a copy of the original COHEmu still on Assembla: http://tools.assembla.com/svn/L2u-Project/COHEmu/
Supposedly the same thing, but IIRC they have downgraded compatibility to i3 to avoid isssues with NCSoft (not that I think it would protect them one jot if the juggernaut paid a second's attention...)
We were heroes. We were villains. At the end of the world we all fought as one. It's what we did that defines us.
The end occurred pretty much as we predicted: all servers redlining until midnight... and then no servers to go around.

Somewhere beyond time and space, if you look hard you might find a flash of silver trailing crimson: a lone lost Spartan on his way home.

CG

• Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2012, 04:05:33 PM »
Thanks.  Downloading now.

sl701

• Minion
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2012, 04:18:36 PM »
There is also a copy of the original COHEmu still on Assembla: http://tools.assembla.com/svn/L2u-Project/COHEmu/
Supposedly the same thing, but IIRC they have downgraded compatibility to i3 to avoid isssues with NCSoft (not that I think it would protect them one jot if the juggernaut paid a second's attention...)

No techie here, so... ummm... are there any "how to"s out there??

therain93

• Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2012, 04:43:49 PM »
SEGs and all of that were being worked on prior to the launch of Freedom (with implementation of serial codes for costume parts) and the speed/multi-stage downloader -- will much of that be useful/applicable to the modern client?  I don't know and am not trying to rain on the parade, but am just wondering.
@Texarkana - March 5, 2004 - December 1, 2012 -- Imageshack |-| Youtube
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You don't know what it's like.... |-| Book One. Chapter one...

sl701

• Minion
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2012, 04:46:51 PM »
Well, actually, that's a good question  :-\ However... one can always try  ;D

CG

• Elite Boss
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2012, 05:02:44 PM »
SEGs and all of that were being worked on prior to the launch of Freedom (with implementation of serial codes for costume parts) and the speed/multi-stage downloader -- will much of that be useful/applicable to the modern client?  I don't know and am not trying to rain on the parade, but am just wondering.
Oh, I have no idea.  It might be totally useless.

I'm kicking myself now.  When the shutdown was announced, I thought that I'd get my games in and I'd let go when the time came.  Turns out I wasn't ready to let go, but I don't have the technical information I would have liked to try and start working.  This makes it much harder, but we'll see.

Taking on a task that looks impossible is something that City of Heroes prepared me for.  8)

Arachnion

• Elite Boss
  • Professional Cynic
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2012, 05:53:41 PM »
Godspeed, CG.

I wish you luck.

CG

• Elite Boss
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2012, 04:52:49 PM »
I dreamed about City of Heroes last night.

I dreamed that I started the client and someone out there had started one of the official servers up for personal use, but didn't know it was live on the internet.  I fired up my packet sniffer and logged in to collect the data I needed before they found out I was logged in or they shut off the server again. 

I've never dreamed about packet sniffing before... :o
« Last Edit: December 07, 2012, 09:12:48 PM by CG »

GuyPerfect

• Mary Poppins
  • Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2012, 05:01:11 PM »
I would like to put everyone's minds at ease that in an effort not at all affiliated with the Titan Network (and I'm not being sarcastic with that), packet logs and decryption keys from just about every conceivable context within the game were recorded for at least two months leading up to the shutdown. The people of the aforementioned effort have more than enough information to... do stuff... with.

Arachnion

• Elite Boss
  • Professional Cynic
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2012, 05:24:37 PM »
I would like to put everyone's minds at ease that in an effort not at all affiliated with the Titan Network (and I'm not being sarcastic with that), packet logs and decryption keys from just about every conceivable context within the game were recorded for at least two months leading up to the shutdown. The people of the aforementioned effort have more than enough information to... do stuff... with.

I am pleased by this news informing me of a group unaffiliated with the Titan Network has sufficient information to do stuff with.

:D

sl701

• Minion
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2012, 06:40:23 PM »
Wee, that's good to hear  :D I can understand all the secrecy but I hope, once the... stuff... is done, there's a way to find out  ;D

Glass Goblin

• Lieutenant
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2012, 08:46:00 PM »
I've never dreamed about packet sniffing before... :o

I have dreamed about enough weirdness to make my therapist beg for mercy, but I can honestly say packet sniffing would be new. And now, damn it, I'll probably dream about it tonight.

Gypsea

• Underling
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2012, 09:56:16 PM »

That does put my mind at ease. Good luck to you all, whoever you are.  :)