Author Topic: December 1st....A day that shall live in Inf*  (Read 9412 times)

JWBullfrog

• Elite Boss
  • I didn't leave Paragon City. They threw me out!
Re: December 1st....A day that shall live in Inf*
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2012, 03:30:47 PM »
OK, I know I'm having a dumb moment here but HOW do I just delete the NCSoft launcher?

I should know this, I know I should know this...
As long as somebody keeps making up stories for it, the City isn't gone.

NecrotechMaster

• Elite Boss
  • is there a badge for that?
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2012, 03:51:13 PM »
OK, I know I'm having a dumb moment here but HOW do I just delete the NCSoft launcher?

I should know this, I know I should know this...

just like how you would uninstall any other program, usually its in control panel

as spring mentions when you want to delete it, it will ask if you want to remove any program also installed by the launcher, be sure to hit no to keep coh, and then it will pop up again asking "are you sure" then hit yes and bam launcher is gone but coh is intact

corvus1970

• Elite Boss
  • A true ruler is as moral as a Hurricane.
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2012, 03:53:54 PM »
Get two grams of Crimson powder, a sprig of Dwarfwhistle, and some Sea Salt.

Mix the ingredients well, then sprinkle them over the NCSoft logo (The logo must be a color copy or print, as black-and-white won't work). Once sprinkled thus, repeat this phrase three times:

"NCSoft, yu terribilis es, ut hircorum et manducabit carnes vestras."

That done, crumple up the logo, and set it on fire. Be sure to use wooden matches, as a lighter may cause the incantation to fail. Be sure to place the logo in something fireproof first, as you'd hate to set your house on fire now wouldn't you?

Let the logo burn for a full minute, then extinguish it with 16 ounces of cold Mountain-Dew (any flavor, but make sure its Mountain Dew, NOT Mellow Yellow!). Then, take the sodden ashes, place them in a coffee can, and bury it in un-consecrated ground (The place where your Dog likes to pee will do fine).

With that done, you'll find the Launcher is STILL installed on your computer, but dear GOD you'll feel absolutely wonderful when you run your uninstall program :D
... ^o^CORVUS^o^
"...if nothing we do matters, than all that matters is what we do."
http://corvus1970.deviantart.com/

Omega Mark V

• Boss
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2012, 04:00:13 PM »
Eh, I have my CoH CDs. I can always remake Omega and my other heroes.

Thank God I didn't buy digital!
- Omega Mk. V

Illusionss

• Elite Boss
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2012, 04:01:23 PM »
Does anyone know if we can just remove the NCSoft installer file and leave the rest?

Yes you can. Just tell it "NO" when it asks you if you also want to delete the games that the launcher went with. It asks twice, each prompting a different answer. READ CAREFULLY! So that left my CoH file on my computer, and then I backed that onto a disk. I'll probably also back it up again on a thumb-drive that I have.

I like someone's idea of a thumb-drive with Paragon on it, that can be worn as a necklace. I doubt I would actually wear it, but I like the idea. This game will be installed on any computer I have from here on out. I'm like that - obsessive.

Its too bad most of the game's population will have no idea that updates to the launcher have the potential to nuke your game file. Had I not been here, I'd have had no idea.

JWBullfrog

• Elite Boss
  • I didn't leave Paragon City. They threw me out!
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2012, 04:09:37 PM »
Ok, I got it. I knew I was being dumb.

Oh, BTW Corvus...Kosher salt works a bit better than sea salt. The flatter flakes stick better. And, I wouldn't advise using the Red Mountain Dew, it has some...odd side effects...
As long as somebody keeps making up stories for it, the City isn't gone.

corvus1970

• Elite Boss
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2012, 04:14:31 PM »
HAH! Thanks JW :D
... ^o^CORVUS^o^

Sarge Morris

• Minion
« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2012, 06:19:30 PM »
Get two grams of Crimson powder, a sprig of Dwarfwhistle, and some Sea Salt.

Mix the ingredients well, then sprinkle them over the NCSoft logo (The logo must be a color copy or print, as black-and-white won't work). Once sprinkled thus, repeat this phrase three times:

"NCSoft, yu terribilis es, ut hircorum et manducabit carnes vestras."

That done, crumple up the logo, and set it on fire. Be sure to use wooden matches, as a lighter may cause the incantation to fail. Be sure to place the logo in something fireproof first, as you'd hate to set your house on fire now wouldn't you?

Let the logo burn for a full minute, then extinguish it with 16 ounces of cold Mountain-Dew (any flavor, but make sure its Mountain Dew, NOT Mellow Yellow!). Then, take the sodden ashes, place them in a coffee can, and bury it in un-consecrated ground (The place where your Dog likes to pee will do fine).

With that done, you'll find the Launcher is STILL installed on your computer, but dear GOD you'll feel absolutely wonderful when you run your uninstall program :D

I want a Like button for stuff like this.

corvus1970

• Elite Boss
« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2012, 06:27:47 PM »
Thanks Sarge!  8)
... ^o^CORVUS^o^

Blackbird71

• Minion
« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2012, 08:19:57 PM »
Already did that. 

Now that thumb drive is going in a safety deposit box.

Keep in mind that depending on the quality of the flash memory in your thumb drive, those drives are typically only rated for 2-5 years* of static data storage before the data becomes corrupted.  This can be extended if you periodically (say once a year) delete and reload the files, which refreshes the flash cells.

*The best flash memory will usually only last 5 years; most thumb drives use the cheapest stuff they can get

sorinkon

• Lieutenant
  • CoH WILL RISE AGAIN IN MINECRAFT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    • COH Minecraft
« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2012, 12:11:12 AM »
do what i did deny the urge to delete the client and if you do then download it by cd's it was better that way anyway it made me angry when ncsoft ended up doing the gay ncsoft launcher thing

corvus1970

• Elite Boss
« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2012, 12:12:06 AM »
Please don't use the word "gay" in that fashion. Okay? Thanks.
... ^o^CORVUS^o^

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2012, 12:20:45 AM »
I don't have the heart to delete it. I know its irrational, illogical to hold onto hope, but I just can't make myself delete CoX.  That file's been there for five years and three computers now and it was one of the first things I'd install on a new machine.

Sarge, you can download this:

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B0rmU0UrIINISHpfTjFOU3pWeEU
Zip file of all the demorecord zone records Megajoule has
Atlas, Galaxy (Echo), Kings, Perez, Hollows, Skyway, Faultline, Steel, Boomtown, Indy Port, Terra Volta, Talos, Striga, Croatoa, Brickstown, Crey's, Founder's, Eden, Peregrine
Midnighter Club, Cimerora, Pocket D, Rikti War Zone, Dark Astoria (live and echo)
Ouroborous
Outbreak(!)
Firebase Zulu, Cascades, Chantry, Storm Palace
Mercy, Port Oakes, Cap, Sharkhead, Nerva, St. Martial, Grandville
Bloody Bay, Recluse's, Siren's, Warburg
Nova Praetoria, Imperial City, Neutropolis, Underground Imperial(*), First Ward, Night Ward
(* chosen to be representative, not comprehensive)

Unzip it and add the individual files to the Client Demos section of the City of Heroes folder.  From there you can simply drag and drop each file onto the .exe client and have your own tour of the zone.  A good reason never to delete CoX.

NOTE:  I did not make these nor share them.  That glory and gratitude should go to another poster here on the titan boards.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

emu265

• Elite Boss
  • Wait, what?
« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2012, 12:28:28 AM »

Atlas, Galaxy (Echo), Kings, Perez, Hollows, Skyway, Faultline, Steel, Boomtown, Indy Port, Terra Volta, Talos, Striga, Croatoa, Brickstown, Crey's, Founder's, Eden, Peregrine
Midnighter Club, Cimerora, Pocket D, Rikti War Zone, Dark Astoria (live and echo)
Ouroborous
Outbreak(!)
Nova Praetoria, Imperial City, Neutropolis, Underground Imperial(*), First Ward, Night Ward

Unzip it and add the individual files to the Client Demos section of the City of Heroes folder.  From there you can simply drag and drop each file onto the .exe client and have your own tour of the zone.  A good reason never to delete CoX.

NOTE:  I did not make these nor share them.  That glory and gratitude should go to another poster here on the titan boards.
Coooooooool, I'm doing this.  Thanks Megajoule.

Sarge Morris

• Minion
« Reply #34 on: December 04, 2012, 01:47:08 AM »

Ouroborous
Outbreak(!)

Indeed, thanks, MegaJoule, and thank you, Victoria, for pointing this out.

nerd1090

• Underling
« Reply #35 on: December 04, 2012, 02:30:36 AM »
i might have cried myself to sleep. today i wore a WoW shirt in protest

Adrenalin

• Lieutenant
« Reply #36 on: December 04, 2012, 06:17:11 AM »
Keep in mind that depending on the quality of the flash memory in your thumb drive, those drives are typically only rated for 2-5 years* of static data storage before the data becomes corrupted.  This can be extended if you periodically (say once a year) delete and reload the files, which refreshes the flash cells.

*The best flash memory will usually only last 5 years; most thumb drives use the cheapest stuff they can get

I hate to say it, but of course everyone else is probably thinking it. If it comes down to 5 years then it's more than likely going to end up being a sentimental memento anyway.  At least now days they've come up with decorative flash drives though, some of them suitable stand ins for jewelry even.

I got a kick out of this one. Anyone else enjoy Clockwork missions?

healix

• Elite Boss
  • Every good friend was once a stranger
« Reply #37 on: December 04, 2012, 07:07:05 AM »
I want a Like button for stuff like this.

Here you go, Sarge!
Listen to the 'mustn'ts'. Listen to the 'don'ts'. Listen to the 'shouldn'ts', the 'impossibles', the 'won'ts'. Listen to the 'you'll never haves', then listen close to me... Anything can happen . Anything can be.

Blackbird71

• Minion
« Reply #38 on: December 04, 2012, 11:01:42 PM »
I hate to say it, but of course everyone else is probably thinking it. If it comes down to 5 years then it's more than likely going to end up being a sentimental memento anyway.  At least now days they've come up with decorative flash drives though, some of them suitable stand ins for jewelry even.

I got a kick out of this one. Anyone else enjoy Clockwork missions?

As I said though, the 5 year stuff is the best quality flash; it usually gets used in high-end applications like solid state drives.  Some of the more expensive thumb drives may use decent flash chips, but the low-end stuff that gets put into most thumb drives will be lucky to store data for a year or two.  Flash memory is just not that good for long-term storage.

Keep in mind, I'm not saying that the drive will be no good in 1-2 years; it will still read and write just fine.  It's just data that is stored statically for an extended period of time that is at risk.  Flash cells are programmed with data by storing a certain electrical charge.  That charge slowly drains over time, and if it gets low enough, the data is corrupted.  Better quality flash memory will drain more slowly and take longer to reach these levels.  However, if you re-write data to the drive, the cells are reset.  So if are trying to use a thumb drive to store any sort of data for more than a year or so, it's a good idea to copy the files off the drive, delete them from the drive, and copy them back over.

Of course, frequent erasing and reprogramming of flash cells can cause them to deteriorate faster as well, but even the low quality stuff is typically rated for thousands of re-writes, so resetting your data now and then will have little impact.

DrakeGrimm

• Elite Boss
« Reply #39 on: December 05, 2012, 03:05:33 AM »
Remember, Remember, the 1st of December...
We are the crazy ones, the mavericks, the dreamers, the forgotten sons. We color outside the lines for fun. We are the crazy ones! - "The Crazy Ones," Stellar Revival

"We put ourselves in "the attitude of heroes"--and we all became a little more heroic." - VV