Author Topic: Backup your game files. NOW.  (Read 1578 times)

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
  • There are some who call me... Tim?
Backup your game files. NOW.
« on: November 30, 2012, 06:17:19 AM »
Something weird just happened with the launcher... got an odd error about a file being corrupted. Tried re downloading it (which worked) but then the launcher kept telling me the file could not be repaired. Copied the offending file from my backup folder, and CoH launched perfectly. Seems like something screwy is going on. Be careful.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
Re: Backup your game files. NOW.
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2012, 06:18:29 AM »
Nemesis plot!

Seriously, tho, no trouble, so far, but will be vigilant.
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

emu265

• Elite Boss
  • Wait, what?
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2012, 06:43:38 AM »
Noted, I just finished all my work with Sentinel and archive screenshots.  All that's left is missions with my brother tomorrow night :/

redgiant

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2012, 06:59:54 AM »
I thought about this same thing today. Before logging in any more, I snapped the entire game folder.

Some may think its paranoid, plus they wouldn't dare break our post-11/30 -demoplay just to ensure no service emulators work, right?

Well, remember it isn't very farfetched to imagine a last-minute patch to disable your client's ability to connect online to an unofficial service (which -demoplay doesn't need to do). They could effectively neuter the netcode path and still leave local -demoplay working.

And as outlandish as it sounds, I don't trust it not to happen enough to take a chance with my only copy of the game in its fully patched and current form.

The Fifth Horseman

• Elite Boss
  • Outside known realities.
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2012, 06:33:56 PM »
The update servers for the game went down with the rest of it, it seems.
Even if not, you can circumvent any such patching by running the game outside of NCLauncher (which, altough not obvious, is definitely possible)
We were heroes. We were villains. At the end of the world we all fought as one. It's what we did that defines us.
The end occurred pretty much as we predicted: all servers redlining until midnight... and then no servers to go around.

Somewhere beyond time and space, if you look hard you might find a flash of silver trailing crimson: a lone lost Spartan on his way home.

NecrotechMaster

• Elite Boss
  • is there a badge for that?
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2012, 06:39:32 PM »
i havent run the ncsoft launcher since getting on the game last night and i dont plan to, if anything i would uninstall the nclauncher lol

zybron

• Boss
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2012, 06:47:53 PM »
That was the first thing I did after the servers shut down last night, fully uninstalled the launcher (but be sure to keep the game files, of course). I didn't want any chance of NCSoft deciding to silently uninstall my game files via the launcher - not that I was planning on ever using the launcher again... but just to be safe.