Author Topic: How about creating a NWN/NWN2 persistent world.  (Read 10566 times)

JRVthatsME

• Lieutenant
  • When times are hard, take a stand and dont give up
How about creating a NWN/NWN2 persistent world.
« on: November 30, 2012, 08:53:41 PM »
The thing with with these is that they are like mini MMO's that can actually be hosted from a home computer and anyone who has the game Neverwinter Nights can join and play for free. Plus there are a lot player made tools for creating custom content and tutorials on how to do it. The .2DA files could easily be changes so that player character classes could be turn into archetypes much like in CoH with powers being made a feats and using spells effects to duplicate similar powers that CoH has. There is a .hak file that allows such player hosed worlds to be able to accomodate over 200 players at once (couldn't be more then 255 though, but there could be more then one running at the same time). Major downside with NWN is that players can't get off the ground so flying and jumping would not be possible though there have been efforts to work around this such as this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UwejHiefH0 (This person has stated that they aren't good at animation) but super speed and teleportaion can be done at least. Such persistent worlds could never be as capable of as much as CoH but they could provide a home for the community to play in. Multiple persistent worlds can also be linked by a central database such as what was done here http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Gameworld.Detail&id=165278&id=16

Here is an example of a modern city tileset that was created as additional custom content for use with the NWN1 toolset.
http://nwvault.ign.com/fms/Image.php?id=12653
It was used to create this Resident Evil inspired module.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hRTE1-d5CI

This video clip shows a lot of nice players created custom content that was made for use in player created modules and persistent worlds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DikjxuJ8XnQ

Profit

• Boss
Re: How about creating a NWN/NWN2 persistent world.
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2012, 08:59:05 PM »
something I have always wanted to try was a Mutants and Masterminds persistent world. NWN and M&M are both d20 and I feel a total NWN conversion could be done.

As for flying and jumping, they can be done :D I have the plugins at home that are very creative ways of accomplishing jumping and flying.

JRVthatsME

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2012, 10:49:31 PM »
I'd really like to learn more about these plugins. Could you post a link to them.

jacknomind

• Boss
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2012, 08:53:14 AM »
I fully support this idea.  There have been a number of suggestions to enacting it well, including leaving open the possibility of 'shared continuum' characters who abide by a global set of rules and their exchangeability with characters who use rules particular to a server or small group of servers.

Given what we've seen with CoH I don't think we can afford to do otherwise.  I think that the community rating model and the nature of games like Minecraft shows us a way to make something like this a reality.

JRVthatsME

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2012, 04:37:53 PM »
Well in Neverwinter Nights 1 the D20 based class and feat system can be very easily modified into Archetypes and Power Sets/pools. And the 6 player character races could be changed into six generic bodytypes instead. What I'm thinking would be these six. Athletic, Huge, Athletic-Tall, Huge-Tall, Athletic-Short, Huge-Short. With there being 2 Phenotypes for each body(race) the normal Phenotype could be made like when all body size sliders (excluding hieght and leg length) in CoX caharacter creater are at the center, and the large Phenotype could be made like when all the size sliders are all the way to the right (again excluding hieght and leg length). The 2 tall bodies could be about 8 feet tall, the 2 average bodies could be about 6 feet tall and the 2 short bodies could be about 4 feet tall. It wouldn't be as diverse as what the CoX character creater could do but it would provide a reasonable range and allow for huge female bodies too.

Neverwinter Nights 2 does have a better character creation process then NWN1 that includes size and girth sliders and it is possible to convert models from NWN1 (such as buildings from the modern city tileset) to be usable by NWN2

Here's a demonstration of some of the spell effects from NWN1 that could be reworked for use in power sets. Casting times, casting animations, area of effect, taget/s and many things about what these spells can do can all be altered.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4N7Ii1SSv0

Fanny

• Minion
  • I aim to misbehave.
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2012, 06:02:18 PM »
Perfect World is doing something a lot like that with Neverwinter Online. Comes out next year.

EDIT: And by PWI I mean Cryptic. Including Justice's very own Back Alley Brawler.
"There is no victory without sacrifice."

JRVthatsME

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2012, 09:11:23 PM »
Yeah but the thing is that Neverwinter Online is an MMO whereas Neverwinter Nights is a game that was designed so that players can create their own multiplayer games and host them online right off their own computers completely free of charge. Over the past 9 years there has been tons of player created custom content and many player create software tools for creating custom content made. Also no one outside the community will have any control or influence these games that we make and host ourselves. There have been many player created multiplayer gameworlds running for years (Called Persistent Worlds) all run, moderated and updated by members of that gamesworlds player community.

Profit

• Boss
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2012, 09:52:59 PM »
Perfect World is doing something a lot like that with Neverwinter Online. Comes out next year.

EDIT: And by PWI I mean Cryptic. Including Justice's very own Back Alley Brawler.

Fanny, neverwinter online should never have been made. The lightening in a bottle we got with COH? The people who are really into Neverwinter Nights got that there. It (the first 1 I never played the second) is a spectacular game and deserving of all the praise heaped among it just like COH is. And actually, it is my understanding that PW bought the rights to use Neverwinter after seeing how succesful NWN is. I mean, there is still a massive and active modding community around NWN to this day, that should say something.

JRVthatsME

• Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2012, 10:00:31 PM »
I can vouch for that. I played a persistent world in NWN1 for several years called The Island of Thain. There was a really open helpful and friendly community there and the members of the community that run the world keep it well looked after and update it fairly regularly. They are really supportive of player run events and the DM (Dungeon Master) run events were really fun with some very well thought out story content. I actually typed up the events (in story form) of the final chapter of a DM run event on Thain that I was involved in from my character's perspective if anyone wants to look at it to get an idea of how involved and interactive such games can be. A little warning, it is kinda long My character is Alaythyir, the elven white knight facing the dragons head in the screenshot.

http://www.thain.org/forum/e107_plugins/forum/forum_viewtopic.php?163835.20#post_168443

Harlequin565

• Lieutenant
    • Shuttercount - A Photography site...
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2012, 08:10:24 PM »
I ran an NWN1 PW until CoX came out. Then I was gone :)

The most amazing thing about both games is the DM client, allowing DMs to spawn in creatures/treasure, posess NPCs, and pretty much do everything a tabletop DM could do. Managed to create some really amazing adventures for our players.

NWN2 is far prettier, but the toolset engine is a lot more unwieldy.

I also seem to remember that both games had a 64 player cap. Not really an MMO, more of an MO :)

-H

JRVthatsME

• Lieutenant
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2012, 08:32:17 PM »
The player cap can be modified to over 200 and there's no reason that multiple version of the same Persitent World cant be run by several different people.

Profit

• Boss
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2012, 11:57:27 PM »
JRV, I'm still looking for my disk with those mods.

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2012, 07:34:08 AM »

Indeed, and I'm looking forward to seeing how it turns out.  NWN and NWN2 weren't bad, but the tools were cumbersome in the first game and downright arcane in the sequel; and the gameplay was of the generic Baldurs Gate type that was popping up all over the place like a rather virulent STD at the time (not a bad thing, despite the colorful analogy, just not anything to write home about).

Personally, I'd rather they'd've gone with Sigil as the setting.  The Realms were Forgotten for a reason and should remain so, IMO.
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.