Author Topic: Expecting any special final story to justify lights out?  (Read 1381 times)

redgiant

• Lieutenant
Expecting any special final story to justify lights out?
« on: November 30, 2012, 09:21:42 AM »
Servers are closing. Okay.
Attempts to stave it off won't. Okay.
Lights out presumably tomorrow at midnight PST. Okay.

What will bug me almost more than the game turning off in general, is if NCSoft won't even pony up some form of final (even if trivially scripted) sequence that at least tries to imply that Paragon City is now saved from crime and we can all go elsewhere where superheroes are needed more.

Something like: all the criminal NPCs fade away from the maps at 10 minutes until midnight, and large gatherings of the NPC population to celebrate occur in every zone, or at least the major hubs.

I know, I know, the devs are all gone now and I am sure NCSoft had neither the foresight nor the inclination to give a damn about doing anything other than unceremoniously pulling the plug at midnight. It would have been very easy to have some scripting done for this sort of thing.

Game companies like this one seem to have no awareness at all of the responsibility of not only creating a world to inhabit, but also how to destroy it. At least make a (feeble) attempt to send off the entire player base with an end that shows the city is saved, not just petering out of existence.

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
Re: Expecting any special final story to justify lights out?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2012, 09:33:24 AM »

What will bug me almost more than the game turning off in general, is if NCSoft won't even pony up some form of final (even if trivially scripted) sequence that at least tries to imply that Paragon City is now saved from crime and we can all go elsewhere where superheroes are needed more.

Something like: all the criminal NPCs fade away from the maps at 10 minutes until midnight, and large gatherings of the NPC population to celebrate occur in every zone, or at least the major hubs.

I know, I know, the devs are all gone now and I am sure NCSoft had neither the foresight nor the inclination to give a damn about doing anything other than unceremoniously pulling the plug at midnight. It would have been very easy to have some scripting done for this sort of thing.

Game companies like this one seem to have no awareness at all of the responsibility of not only creating a world to inhabit, but also how to destroy it. At least make a (feeble) attempt to send off the entire player base with an end that shows the city is saved, not just petering out of existence.

I don't know if I would call it "easy" but I and a few other players tried to do our best to create an end of game story, and an in-game event that tied into it.  It is, in the absence of an official event or shutdown-related storyline, the closest thing you're likely to get.  See my "possible player run event" thread in this forum, or the related ones on the official forums (for as long as they last).

Unofficially, if nothing else there were devs that decided to attend that event, which I will consider to be the closest thing to a blessing such an endeavor can get.

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2012, 03:52:56 PM »

Then they would also have to make up an ending storyline about villains finally winning in taking over in some manner for those COV players.

In Hindsight I wonder if defeating the avatar of the god of death was suppose to be that ending. Mot was his name? I know it's ancient name but everytime I see that name, I cant help but to think about applesauce.

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2012, 04:02:15 PM »
In Hindsight I wonder if defeating the avatar of the god of death was suppose to be that ending. Mot was his name? I know it's ancient name but everytime I see that name, I cant help but to think about applesauce.

Total nerd, but I always think about this guy:

blackjak

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2012, 04:48:31 PM »
Virtue: Moonsun, Dynamo Jr., Crimson Fury, Sabre Kat, Double Sixxes, Quantum Stranger, Mystic Kirin, Pink.Eye Champion: Blackjak, Redwing Blackbird Justice: Shield Marshal Guardian: White Talon Triumph: Gosuto Union: Stellar Girl