Author Topic: CoH Freedom Sound bites ?  (Read 3534 times)

Frostyfrozen

• Boss
CoH Freedom Sound bites ?
« on: October 22, 2012, 01:33:05 AM »
Anyone have the new Music for CoH Freedom or the Magi trial? Just wondering :)

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
Re: CoH Freedom Sound bites ?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2012, 02:08:36 AM »
Most of the game's music is available here.  Are the ones you're looking for missing?
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

darkgob

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2012, 10:53:29 AM »
None of the iTrial music is on that page.

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2012, 02:32:06 PM »
Guess we'll add that to the list of things we still need to capture, then.
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Blondeshell

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2012, 09:38:03 PM »
I've isolated and extracted the music from cutscenes (which I'm guessing covers the majority of what is missing), but the challenge is to identify the proper mission/cutscene that uses it. It's kinda tough because cutscenes only show up once, unlike zone music that you can go back to repeatedly.

Blondeshell

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2012, 12:45:07 AM »
Cutscene music has been uploaded here. Please feel free to make notes as to the specific sources (trials/missions) in which they are used.

Felderburg

• Ask me how I got this title!
  • Elite Boss
  • Personal text? What's that?
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2012, 02:45:16 PM »
While some of the music in game at launch was licensed from somewhere, and could be licensed from that same place for Plan Z, I thought most of the music from Going Rogue on was written by a composer specifically for Paragon Studios? Which means there's likely going to be legal issues with using it.
I used CIT before they even joined the Titan network! But then I left for a long ol' time, and came back. Now I edit the wiki.

I'm working on sorting the Lore AMAs so that questions are easily found and linked: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Lore_AMA/Sorted Tell me what you think!

Pinnacle: The only server that faceplants before a fight! Member of the Pinnacle RP Congress (People's Elf of the CCCP); formerly @The Holy Flame

SithRose

• Plan Z: Lore Lead
  • Elite Boss
  • The Phoenix is coming.
    • Missing Worlds Media - Plan Z: The Phoenix Project
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2012, 03:14:59 PM »
I believe this particular topic is for people who might want to listen to COH music at some point later in time. Obviously we will not be using any of it in Plan Z, but the secondary purpose of this forum is what people are doing after/if COH is shut down.
Lore Lead for Plan Z: The Phoenix Project
Secretary of Missing Worlds Media, Inc.

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2012, 09:43:56 PM »
While some of the music in game at launch was licensed from somewhere, and could be licensed from that same place for Plan Z, I thought most of the music from Going Rogue on was written by a composer specifically for Paragon Studios? Which means there's likely going to be legal issues with using it.
Jason Graves (www.jasongraves.com) has been composing most of their in-house stuff since Going Rogue. They still used licensed material, or built something based on a licensed song, a couple times that I can tell.

Also, I moved this out of the City Sunset forum. It doesn't belong there, it's not about the successor to City.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Frostyfrozen

• Boss
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2012, 09:18:22 AM »
No it was just a question of saving pieces of CoH that could be enjoyed later before the sun sets.

Lily Barclay

• Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2012, 02:23:48 PM »
Awesome. Thank you for this. My daughter keeps asking me for a soundtrack to the game, and now I finally have all of it in one place. She keeps saying the music is one of the things she will miss the most. Maybe I can find a way to get these on a cd for her. Her birthday is coming up.

Lily Barclay

• Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2012, 07:19:29 PM »
Yup, managed to update my codecs and get them to play in Windows Media Player. Will burn her some CDs from there. I'm going to have a very happy 11 year old girl.  ;D

JediWar

• Underling
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2012, 10:49:51 PM »
If nobody minds a little bit of my necro posting here, I felt it best to bring this back up to ask my question, rather than starting a brand new thread on basically the same subject...

This is an excellent collection of the MUSIC tracks, yes... and I'd like to thank everyone involved in saving these(I'm going to burn myself a CD of these for the nostalgic buzz... I still get chills when ever I hear the original opening music). Heck, I'd like to thank whoever composed them in the first place.

But what about the other sound bites? The special effects sounds. The signature sound of an Energy Blast, or that swishing sound of Broadsword Hack?

These sound are, to my understanding, all within the data or pigg files of the game, all on my computer, but I never got into pigg readers and I don't know how to extract these sound effects. I believe that many of these are probably already public domain, as I hear the exact same sound effect in Champions, and I hardly believe that City of Heroes would have allowed that kind of infringement if there was any kind of recourse.

Is there somewhere that I could get a collection of the OTHER City of Heroes Sound bites? For personal projects(Flash games, that kind of thing) and nostalgic value if for no other reason. And if for some reason I'm wrong and they're NOT public domain(which means I don't get to use them for my own SFXing videos or games), why do I keep running into them in other games?

Lily Barclay

• Elite Boss
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2012, 12:38:45 AM »
They are probably sounds that are purchasable for developers to use in games. There are companies out there that just sell sound effects and generic music and the like.

JediWar

• Underling
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2012, 01:02:41 AM »
Which... would mean they're not tied to the City of Heroes IP, and therefore free(as in not tied to, not necessarily meaning public domain) to use in other projects?

Though I may need to track down and discover the company that they were purchased from in the first place if I want to purchase them for myself. Depends on the meaning of the word "free" in the first sentence...

Lily Barclay

• Elite Boss
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2012, 05:51:18 AM »
Which... would mean they're not tied to the City of Heroes IP, and therefore free(as in not tied to, not necessarily meaning public domain) to use in other projects?

Though I may need to track down and discover the company that they were purchased from in the first place if I want to purchase them for myself. Depends on the meaning of the word "free" in the first sentence...

It is likely owned by a third party company who licenses the use of those sound effects.  I don't know this, I'm just guessing, but it's very likely.  And yes, you probably could purchase them, though I think they tend to be costly.  Don't actually know, though. 

LT. Couper

• Boss
  • The battle won't end until it's won!
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2012, 11:07:40 PM »
Most of the game's music is available here.  Are the ones you're looking for missing?
I don't seem to have the needed program to view these files. What would you recomend using?
"Heroes may die, but heroism never shall." ~Cyrus "Breakneck" Thompson

Lily Barclay

• Elite Boss
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2012, 12:07:47 AM »
I don't seem to have the needed program to view these files. What would you recomend using?

You can install the codec into Windows Media Player. Or get a file converter. I did both.

Vyx

• Minion
  • @StormVyxen and or Vyx
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2012, 01:44:30 AM »

MediaMonkey will also play Ogg Vorbis (.ogg) files. This is what I use to play music at home since I prefer .ogg over.mp3.
Huron: "...with Coffee primary / Attitude secondary"
Charnage: "Please. Think of the poor, defenseless desks."
Mentalshock: "Apocalypse has been canceled due to lack of interest."

"The Babylon Project was our last, best hope for peace. She failed... In the year of the Praetorian War, she became something greater... our last, best hope for victory."