Author Topic: Client graphics settings are in registry  (Read 1114 times)

ThePhlebotomist

• Underling
Client graphics settings are in registry
« on: November 28, 2012, 07:26:04 PM »
Black Pebble just mentioned on the last Twitch.TV talk that the client graphics settings are stored in the registry.

Thus, if we want to keep our demos running or adjust the graphics settings, we'll need to know what's in the registry and how to edit it.

I'll start trying to add more stuff to Paragon Wiki in

http://wiki.cohtitan.com/wiki/Game_Client

on this.

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
Re: Client graphics settings are in registry
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2012, 07:35:12 PM »
This is less of an issue now that you can change the graphics settings from the login screen.

Another somewhat obscure fact: When you use demo playback, you can pass a "-project xyz" parameter on the command line. xyz is normally coh or cohbeta, but you can put anything you want there and the client will store separate graphics settings under a registry key of that name.

ThePhlebotomist

• Underling
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2012, 07:49:50 PM »
This is less of an issue now that you can change the graphics settings from the login screen.

Another somewhat obscure fact: When you use demo playback, you can pass a "-project xyz" parameter on the command line. xyz is normally coh or cohbeta, but you can put anything you want there and the client will store separate graphics settings under a registry key of that name.

Do you get the login screen when using demos?  I thought they just kind of started?

Thanks for the info about the -project param!

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2012, 07:52:09 PM »
You don't get it when playing back demos, but you can just run "cityofheroes.exe -project coh" (or whatever -project you're using) in order to get the login screen and graphics settings.

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
  • There are some who call me... Tim?
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2012, 08:15:21 PM »
I read somewhere last night that a copy of the game folders on a fresh install will work fine, as long as it's the same type of OS. With the graphics settings missing, the game will just write new files for it at default settings, which you can then configure to your liking.

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2012, 08:23:31 PM »
It doesn't even need to be the same OS. I've been "installing" COH on new computers for years by just copying the main folder contents, piggs, and qt_plugins (post-freedom). It works perfectly.

The hardest part was always getting the NCSoft launcher to recognize it so that it could apply updates. That's not really an issue anymore.