Author Topic: This sucks... but  (Read 9199 times)

Tubbius

• Fun Title
  • Elite Boss
Re: This sucks... but
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2012, 10:14:23 PM »
Right now I'm in an IRC chat with friends from channels in the game; there are 14 of us on right now and at least 30-40 of us have cycled through in the last 24 hours.

What's the IRC chatroom, if you don't mind saying?  And what server?

Thunder Glove

• Elite Boss
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2012, 11:46:44 PM »
... I did lose something that only the game provided.  I've been creating characters for years (decades, even) on paper and in other roleplaying settings.

CoH was the first game where I was ever complimented on those characters - their appearance, their builds, and especially how I play them. And since I hate cookie-cutter builds, even if it's the "best", CoH is possibly the only game I've ever played where an unconventional build works, and works well.

Every other game I've played with other people - even games I've played far longer than CoH - my unconventional builds lead only to pick-up groups mocking my (often ineffective) character, or my friends only inviting me along out of pity (at least, it feels that way, because i'm always the first to die and everyone else is literally 50 or more levels higher than I am).  And, of course, my appearance is the same as everyone else of my class, so nothing distinctive there, either.

CoH was the first and only MMO where I could be me, and where being me wasn't the same thing as ruining my character.  It was the first and only MMO where I'd think "this character is going to be SO COOL", and every single time I'd be right rather than disappointed.

In over thirty-give years of gaming (video games, table top, and even online RP), it's the only game I've played - MMO or otherwise - where the character in my head and the character in front of me were the same.

I don't know what other game will even start to replicate that feeling.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 02:08:24 AM by Thunder Glove »

Daimyoshi

• Lieutenant
  • Shinobi
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2012, 02:21:31 AM »
where am I going to see so many cool characters, I some time walk through the pocket D and read Bio, Pick up group Bio during down time. Such a treat.

eviella

• Minion
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2012, 06:07:37 AM »
What's the IRC chatroom, if you don't mind saying?  And what server?

I don't mind saying, but since I wasn't the one who set it up I want to clear it with them first.  With that said, I would happily drop in on a #SaveCOH irc room if somebody else sets it up!

faith.grins

• Boss
  • Split your lungs with blood and thunder.
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2012, 06:55:45 AM »
The closing of City of Heroes hurt more than I thought it would.  It hurt the night the lights went out, and it hurts now, a couple days later.  I don't know if/when that hurt will go away, but I'm beginning to worry that it won't.

See, when the announcement was made, I kept telling myself that it was just a game.  Sure, it was a game that was endlessly fun, it was a game I had come back to again and again over the course of six or seven years, but it was just a game.  When the lights went out, there would still be Chrono Trigger to console me, y'know?

But I spent Friday night playing with four guys from an old SG that had kind of become defunct years ago.  We grabbed four other random yahoos in Grandville, cranked the difficulty to +4/x8, and went to town on all the Longbow, Arachnos, and Malta we could find.  It was like old times, and it was a blast.  I spent the night joining Pinnacle for one last Mothership raid, which cannot help but be a whole mess of crazy and confusion and fun.  I spent the night chatting with folks on Pinnbadges, reminding me why I had left Liberty to hang out with the cool kids.  I spent the last fifteen minutes pounding Banished Pantheon in Dark Astoria with the first toon I ever rolled, role-playing the shit out of her, and when the lights went out she was in the middle of one last Total Focus, still one of the coolest animations in the game.  And when the client closed, it hurt, and I knew the truth:  this wasn't just a game.  This was a community that I was a part of, and now it's just gone.  The thing that brought us together isn't there anymore, and even though I've got an IRC channel I can chat with some folks on, and I've got some email addresses to keep in touch, and a couple of guys I've got the in-game handle for in The Secret World, the fact is I still feel rejected.  I feel like a refugee, an outcast who was turned away at the gates and has been sentenced to wander in the wilderness.  I had a place where I felt part of something, and even though it wasn't the biggest part of my life in the past seven years, now that I am no longer a part of it, it has still left a hole in me.

Yeah, Chrono Trigger is still there, and I still love the shit out of that game, but I haven't felt like playing it in the past couple of days.  I know that this, too, shall pass, but right now?  Right now I just wish I could be back in Praetoria, leading a BAF, or in Grandville, blasting the Arachnos Flyer, or in Croatoa, putting the beat on Jack again.  Right now this wound is open. And I was not prepared for how deep it turns out to be.
Aram:  "Man, just look at all this.  Sometimes it's hard to believe that we get to live surrounded by such wonder."
Gamal:  "We don't live over there." Aram:  "We don't?"
Gamal:  "No.  We live over there." Aram:  "... But it's all on fire."
Gamal:  "Yes it is, Aram.  Yes it is."

Cryfire

• Lieutenant
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2012, 10:51:09 AM »
... I did lose something that only the game provided.  I've been creating characters for years (decades, even) on paper and in other roleplaying settings.

CoH was the first game where I was ever complimented on those characters - their appearance, their builds, and especially how I play them. And since I hate cookie-cutter builds, even if it's the "best", CoH is possibly the only game I've ever played where an unconventional build works, and works well.

Every other game I've played with other people - even games I've played far longer than CoH - my unconventional builds lead only to pick-up groups mocking my (often ineffective) character, or my friends only inviting me along out of pity (at least, it feels that way, because i'm always the first to die and everyone else is literally 50 or more levels higher than I am).  And, of course, my appearance is the same as everyone else of my class, so nothing distinctive there, either.

CoH was the first and only MMO where I could be me, and where being me wasn't the same thing as ruining my character.  It was the first and only MMO where I'd think "this character is going to be SO COOL", and every single time I'd be right rather than disappointed.

In over thirty-give years of gaming (video games, table top, and even online RP), it's the only game I've played - MMO or otherwise - where the character in my head and the character in front of me were the same.

I don't know what other game will even start to replicate that feeling.

This is exactly how I feel, my characters exsisted long before City of Heroes and it was always fun to play them even if thier builds weren't the norm. Going to miss this game a lot but even more so all the great players I met and teamed with. :(