Author Topic: Call to Action! Team Wildcard needs YOU! TF Hail Mary LFM  (Read 177256 times)

johnrobey

• Elite Boss
  • CoH global: @Kristoff von Gelmini
Re: Call to Action! Team Wildcard needs YOU! TF Hail Mary LFM
« Reply #420 on: December 10, 2012, 12:08:21 PM »
Well that is the television division, not Interactive.

Love your Dido quote btw.  It's how a lot of us feel.   :)
"We must be the change we wish to see in the world." -- Mahatma Gandhi         "In every generation there has to be some fool who will speak the truth as he sees it." -- Boris Pasternak
"Where They Have Burned Books They Will End In Burning Human Beings" -- Heinrich Heine

Hakkusshon

• Underling
« Reply #421 on: December 10, 2012, 01:36:20 PM »
I live in Japan, but I'm coming home for the holidays. I've told my wife that I plan on buying some lottery tickets (which I normally never do). I said that if I win, I'm not buying a sports car, yacht or mansion, but CoH. Not a copy of a game, but the actual game.  She was perfectly fine with that, despite never playing the game before...

Now that I think about it, the odds of me winning the lottery is pretty slim since it appears I used up all of my luck finding this wonderful woman.

Felderburg

• Ask me how I got this title!
  • Elite Boss
  • Personal text? What's that?
MMOSite Voting: Let Disney Know!
« Reply #422 on: December 10, 2012, 04:31:25 PM »
Despite the fact that CoH is closed, it is doing VERY well in MMOSite's annual Reader's Choice awards, beating out many other active games to be top 3 in the two categories it's nominated for. That is definitely worth noting. For more info, check out the call to action: http://www.cohtitan.com/forum/index.php/topic,7106.0.html
I used CIT before they even joined the Titan network! But then I left for a long ol' time, and came back. Now I edit the wiki.

I'm working on sorting the Lore AMAs so that questions are easily found and linked: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Lore_AMA/Sorted Tell me what you think!

Pinnacle: The only server that faceplants before a fight! Member of the Pinnacle RP Congress (People's Elf of the CCCP); formerly @The Holy Flame

FrankTurk

• Underling
Was CoH Profitable?
« Reply #423 on: December 10, 2012, 06:39:04 PM »
I was thinking that when I read the Massively article on your interview. Yeah, only 3% of all GLOBAL income, but what did it signify of their Western income?

Now I know!

{sigh}

NCSoft is a publicly traded company.  They release a quarterly Consolidated fact sheet on all financials.  When you convert that from Korean Won to USD, they took in on all games $226.4 million -- half of that through Lineage and Lineage II.  CoH was only slightly about Guild Wars (the original) at 2% of all revenue -- about $5 million in the first half before the announcement.

Even if all of that was "WESTERN" "income", they had to support a studio employing about 80 people and the server infrastructure to serve game.  If we believe that CoH would have taken in $10 million in 2012 with no announcement, that only just barely covers costs to do the minimum of development, have a decent-sized office, and pay people what professional programmers and artists make.  There's no way to say it's a profitable franchise in comparison to, for example, Aion which took in 16 times as many dollars.

We all love this game.  I think I went through withdrawal this weekend not being able to play it.  But let's not imagine that NCSoft was just on some kind of drunken flop here shutting it down.

Kistulot

• Elite Boss
  • Argentum Weritas Est!
Re: Was CoH Profitable?
« Reply #424 on: December 10, 2012, 06:47:38 PM »
But let's not imagine that NCSoft was just on some kind of drunken flop here shutting it down.

If they had this kind of information (and if anyone would, wouldn't it be them?) and they didn't express it by now, this only further shows their poor decision making process in the past. They still have a chance to turn this around, but I think it would show a poor choice of judgement.
Woo! - Argent Girl

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
Re: Was CoH Profitable?
« Reply #425 on: December 10, 2012, 10:10:21 PM »
If they had this kind of information (and if anyone would, wouldn't it be them?) and they didn't express it by now, this only further shows their poor decision making process in the past. They still have a chance to turn this around, but I think it would show a poor choice of judgement.

With the NDAs on negotitations still seemingly in effect, I would imagine the stated reason or details over the closing wouldnt come to public light until sometime, if at all, after all the NDAs expire. If negotitation details cant even be mentioned even for those that fell through or no longer even relevant I can only imagine there is some sort of NDA on any details about the closing as those details may actually affect negotiations (or maybe not). In many companies it is standard procedure to not release any information about a product that have an NDA on it whether it cover negotitations, demantling it, new owners, or even trying to decide what to do with it, to prevent something accidentially getting out or the seemingly non-relevant announcements giving away details that fall under the NDA or is the reason for th eNDA i nthe first place. Until the NDAs go away I think it's unrealistic to expect anything said about the decision even if they wanted to until after those NDAs expire. They may not say nothing at all, but just in case that is also their policy, I would give them a chance after details can freely flow if ever. 

I wouldnt be surprised if there are some insiders right now that are itching to release all the details, whether it's because they think their uppers are idiots for not doing so or because they liked COX too and value the customers and want to clear stuff up, but may not feel their job, career, reputation is worth doing so.

More details would be nice and probably would clear up a lot of stuff but according to many of the insiders there is a lot of legal stuff that prevent the free flow of that type of information and that may or may not apply here, even if it's a nuke way of handling. The government takes this approach all the time even for stuff that is not officially clssified in itself but information released can confirm existance or raise questions about something existing that they do not yet wish to be let out that exists. Or on a day to day basis, I cant say I seen this particular person at a particular clinic because it can lead to questions and insinuations about information that is HIPAA protected about that person's records even though I never seen or even have access to their records and merely saying you saw someone is protected information in itself. Do people still do it? yes. If it gets tracked back to them and it has many times before, they have a bunch of explaining to do and loss of job for ever in the government sector.

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #426 on: December 11, 2012, 03:06:54 AM »
I have seen this myth now repeatedly:

City of Heroes paid for a studio of 80 programmers/devs - this is a fallacy those needed for CoH were likely about 25-30 and the rest were making 2 (two) NEW games unrelated to CoH.

If they were paying for these new games out of CoH cash then the games was saving them a lot of developer salaries. For the number needed to run CoH the yearly expenses for the over all game would fall about in the 2.5 to 3 million range for the year leaving 3 quarters out of the year pure profit.

Note if this was a move to gain profit - they would have shut down all those except say 15-20 working on CoH and make 7-8 million a year from the game. They did not do this they flushed the entire Western enterprise down the tubes.

Zachary

• Underling
« Reply #427 on: December 11, 2012, 11:30:17 AM »
Postcards sent. I still have many left if we get new targets :)

Tanglefoe

• Lieutenant
« Reply #428 on: December 11, 2012, 05:22:08 PM »
I just sent an email to a lady I used to work with who grew up in Florida and spent several years at Disney and asked if there was any chance she still knew anybody there with string pulling abilities.  I highly doubt she does or I would have probably already heard about it but I'll check my email later and see what she says.

Alright guys I got some pretty good news this morning.  I ran into this person earlier and she brought up the email.  She said that she forwarded the email to her dad who is retired but used to be the head of food and beverage at Disney.  She said that he said last week he attended an "Eyes and Ears" meeting that all of the current and many retired Disney executives regularly attend and he mentioned this to someone he knows who still works in marketing.  She said she would check her email and if he sends anything she would forward it to me.  So, good news guys, take away that this was mentioned at an "Eyes and Ears" meeting with current and former Disney executives.

Also, rereading this I realized I never posted what I included in the first email I sent to her.  I pretty much just mentioned the pitch to Disney to buy CoH from NCSoft and told her to tell whoever she might know that we're (Titan Network) good people and they should have a look.  I didn't realize that she'd be sending it to her dad, so even better.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 05:30:48 PM by Tanglefoe »

Jordan_Lee

• Lieutenant
« Reply #429 on: December 11, 2012, 09:55:04 PM »
Alright guys I got some pretty good news this morning.  I ran into this person earlier and she brought up the email.  She said that she forwarded the email to her dad who is retired but used to be the head of food and beverage at Disney.  She said that he said last week he attended an "Eyes and Ears" meeting that all of the current and many retired Disney executives regularly attend and he mentioned this to someone he knows who still works in marketing.  She said she would check her email and if he sends anything she would forward it to me.  So, good news guys, take away that this was mentioned at an "Eyes and Ears" meeting with current and former Disney executives.

Also, rereading this I realized I never posted what I included in the first email I sent to her.  I pretty much just mentioned the pitch to Disney to buy CoH from NCSoft and told her to tell whoever she might know that we're (Titan Network) good people and they should have a look.  I didn't realize that she'd be sending it to her dad, so even better.

Super exciting to hear, thanks!!!

Sapphire Jane

• Underling
« Reply #430 on: December 11, 2012, 10:45:08 PM »
Just an FYI.  I received my letter back today that I sent to Jean-Marcel Nicolai.  "Return to Sender - Unable to Locate" was stamped on the envelope.  And it had the yellow label "Return to sender - Atempted - Not Known, Unable to Forward".

Anyone else have their letters returned?
"I try to forget the night that you left.  It's all so unreal with you gone." Journey

Merseine

• Boss
« Reply #431 on: December 11, 2012, 11:46:28 PM »
Just an FYI.  I received my letter back today that I sent to Jean-Marcel Nicolai.  "Return to Sender - Unable to Locate" was stamped on the envelope.  And it had the yellow label "Return to sender - Atempted - Not Known, Unable to Forward".

Not a one - and I sent mine out before the world went dark.
/em holdtorch

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #432 on: December 12, 2012, 06:04:12 AM »
I've had Christmas cards sent back from friends that way, and I have lived here for 20 years.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

Wyrm

• Stop Dragon My Heart Around
  • Boss
« Reply #433 on: December 12, 2012, 07:57:15 PM »

Mine to him came back with the address blacked out.  I think the stamp said that I needed to include both a first and a last name; I copied and pasted it from the top of this thread and printed the address label rather than writing out the address, so I didn't get anything wrong.  /em shrugs

Given that Nicolai wasn't one of the more critical targets, I just dropped it in the recycling bin.

srmalloy

• Elite Boss
« Reply #434 on: December 13, 2012, 07:48:32 PM »

Not yet -- and given the normal mailing time between San Diego and Burbank, I would have seen them come back long before now if they'd been kicked back for having an invalid address.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #435 on: December 13, 2012, 08:22:51 PM »
I started sending that first week, but it's been one at a time. I dropped Nicolai from my mailing list almost right away, though. I'm about to send out Christmas cards, though, and I have one each for Iger and Pleasants. I'm trying to decide if I can get a good quality image to make a little trading card out of from my screenies to throw into each of them, but I want to get them out by Saturday.
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #436 on: December 14, 2012, 03:09:20 AM »
Keep up the mailings!
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

Rae

• Elite Boss
  • Journo/PR: The Phoenix Project
« Reply #437 on: December 14, 2012, 10:28:29 AM »
The Post Office is gonna love me. Sending more out today :D
--
@Vandellia
Virtue - Vandellia / Unseen Scarlet

Twitter: @Skybloopink

QuantumHero

• Elite Boss
« Reply #438 on: December 15, 2012, 05:40:12 AM »
FYI in a very pleasant suprise I am heading to disney world ...um tomarrow.  This was a very unexpected trip and I have not known about it for more then a day or two but the price (almost free) is the sort one does not turn down so off to the world of the mouse I go.  Um is there *anything* useful this can do our hopes and dreams.  I have a save coh song specifically written for disney but no background music or video for it :( so I guess I'll just hold it till I get back.  In light of ncsoft's apparent sale to itself where are we on this task force? I've been buried in phoenix project and real life stuff but my first goal is whatever it takes to save our community.

Will my location as of tomarrow be of any value, heroes?

QuantumHero

As Ncsoft falls, heroes will rise
They made the ashes, we sought the skies
Under mouse ears or our own phoenix wings
Our spirit wil not die, it is just learning to sing

We are heroes, and this is what we do.
If given two roads that lead no where good...stop using roads and carve your own path.

omegaultima

• Underling
« Reply #439 on: December 15, 2012, 09:43:28 PM »
As Ncsoft falls, heroes will rise
They made the ashes, we sought the skies
Under mouse ears or our own phoenix wings
Our spirit wil not die, it is just learning to sing

We are heroes, and this is what we do.

Oh geez, that made me tear up...  :'(