Author Topic: Call to Action! Team Wildcard needs YOU! TF Hail Mary LFM  (Read 177241 times)

johnrobey

• Elite Boss
  • CoH global: @Kristoff von Gelmini
Re: Call to Action! Team Wildcard needs YOU! TF Hail Mary LFM
« Reply #400 on: December 05, 2012, 07:59:37 AM »
OK something just struck me right in the face.  DESPITE GW, GW2, Lineage and Aion all having MUCH higher numbers of players than CoH individually, never mind collectively, CoH all by it's itty-bitty self was responsible for HALF THE US INCOME.

/em boggle.

Regardless of the numbers, since CoH made profit, I'm still blown away they just shut it down.  I can only assume it made sense for NCSoft to do this from a business perspective, bottom lines and all that.  For a company whose stated mission is to promote human happiness however EPIC FAIL!

Cited source most of us have already seen lots:  http://global.ncsoft.com/global/aboutus/visiongoals.aspx

I'll be keeping my eyes open for more ways to help Team Wildcard.  Thanks, Titans!
"We must be the change we wish to see in the world." -- Mahatma Gandhi         "In every generation there has to be some fool who will speak the truth as he sees it." -- Boris Pasternak
"Where They Have Burned Books They Will End In Burning Human Beings" -- Heinrich Heine

Roughtrade

• Boss
  • Sitting on a Cornflake
« Reply #401 on: December 05, 2012, 08:14:06 AM »
I dunno about R&D or anything like that but...

Couple of different people have been quoting that CoH was in the Guinness Top Ten MMOs by Subscription for 2012.

That has to be generating some cash. 

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #402 on: December 05, 2012, 09:35:54 AM »
I know they didn't break out expenses, just what was coming in.  So on income alone, CoH was generating half of the North American profits, as against...and let's be fair here and not count GW2...THREE games combined generating the other half.

While it is true that GW, Lineage and Aion were generating tons of cash in the east, CoH was never even given a shot over there.  A confusing and lackluster launch guaranteed it would be shut down in the east before it had a chance.

But in the West?  HALF of the Western profits.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

Rae

• Elite Boss
  • Journo/PR: The Phoenix Project
« Reply #403 on: December 05, 2012, 09:45:06 AM »
I was thinking that when I read the Massively article on your interview. Yeah, only 3% of all GLOBAL income, but what did it signify of their Western income?

Now I know!
--
@Vandellia
Virtue - Vandellia / Unseen Scarlet

Twitter: @Skybloopink

Segev

• Plan Z: Interim Producer
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #404 on: December 05, 2012, 04:14:41 PM »
This was posted over in the NCSoft Stockwatch thread, but it got me thinking...

So does anyone know or Looked in to Toon Town Player numbers its a year older then CoH & Disney still has that going. And I do remember seeing some Saturday morning commericals for it a year ago.

I want to preface this thought by saying that we want in no way to make this annoying nor rude, just attention-getting and perhaps touching. How much freedom to customize your character does Toon Town give? Maybe we should consider signing up for accounts en masse and making as heroic-looking avatars as we can to do a Disney World-style parade to promote the idea that Disney should seek to buy CoH. "We're all players who signed into Toon Town just to tell you we'd pay you money to play CoH again."

The role-players amongst us might even make it a role-playing challenge. Write up, depending on the customizability of the avatars, a backstory for your character explaining he escaped a dying world of heroes and is a bit confused by the cartoony nature of his new home, but is seeking help to restore his old one. Or something like that.

Crater Labs

• Trivia Champion 2016
  • Minion
« Reply #405 on: December 05, 2012, 09:05:03 PM »
Okay, I just sent out some postcards to the four Disney addresses by going to AmazingMail.com.  I took this image of a screenshot that I grabbed on the last day:

...and sent it with the message

"Save Our City
Buy our Game
Help Us Build A Whole New World With You
#SaveCoH"

along with a lengthier message on the back.  I received a warning that I hadn't made the screenshot at the optimal dpi and that it might appear fuzzy or pixelated, but it seemed okay when I viewed the preview.

I also sent another such bit of mail with the same image to our friend Mr. Kim in Korea, thanking him for all he's done for us (words that felt wrong to type) and asking him to sell the game.  I sent a copy of that one to myself, so ideally I'll see how the image will look to the recipients.

Triplash

• Elite Boss
« Reply #406 on: December 05, 2012, 11:42:58 PM »
I took this image of a screenshot

That is a great picture. The shooting stars in the background really make it perfect... nice work :)

Quinch

« Reply #407 on: December 06, 2012, 03:13:18 AM »
OK something just struck me right in the face.  DESPITE GW, GW2, Lineage and Aion all having MUCH higher numbers of players than CoH individually, never mind collectively, CoH all by it's itty-bitty self was responsible for HALF THE US INCOME.

Technically, it was responsible for an equal of half their US income - it was played elsewhere too. But yes, it's been mentioned around.

johnrobey

• Elite Boss
  • CoH global: @Kristoff von Gelmini
« Reply #408 on: December 06, 2012, 12:54:46 PM »
Okay, I just sent out some postcards to the four Disney addresses by going to AmazingMail.com.  I took this image of a screenshot that I grabbed on the last day:

...and sent it with the message

"Save Our City
Buy our Game
Help Us Build A Whole New World With You
#SaveCoH"

Really pretty!   Beautifully done.  Thank you!

along with a lengthier message on the back.  I received a warning that I hadn't made the screenshot at the optimal dpi and that it might appear fuzzy or pixelated, but it seemed okay when I viewed the preview.

I also sent another such bit of mail with the same image to our friend Mr. Kim in Korea, thanking him for all he's done for us (words that felt wrong to type) and asking him to sell the game.  I sent a copy of that one to myself, so ideally I'll see how the image will look to the recipients.
"We must be the change we wish to see in the world." -- Mahatma Gandhi         "In every generation there has to be some fool who will speak the truth as he sees it." -- Boris Pasternak
"Where They Have Burned Books They Will End In Burning Human Beings" -- Heinrich Heine

Merseine

• Boss
« Reply #409 on: December 06, 2012, 06:09:45 PM »
Just throwing out another example here.  Take it and use it if you wish, this is just to perhaps spark other ideas.

I've made postcards (Avery 8386) with various screenshots.  I'm sending one out today with this image on the front:

http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/File:Splash_DestroyedGalaxyCity.jpg

On the back it reads:
"Dear Mr. Pleasants,
We were all working hard to reclaim Galaxy City when the world was taken from us.
Please let us be heroes again - Save Galaxy City with us!
Thanks for listening. Save COH!"
/em holdtorch

Arkasas

• Lieutenant
  • Ord of the West
« Reply #410 on: December 07, 2012, 01:33:31 AM »
This was posted over in the NCSoft Stockwatch thread, but it got me thinking...

I want to preface this thought by saying that we want in no way to make this annoying nor rude, just attention-getting and perhaps touching. How much freedom to customize your character does Toon Town give? Maybe we should consider signing up for accounts en masse and making as heroic-looking avatars as we can to do a Disney World-style parade to promote the idea that Disney should seek to buy CoH. "We're all players who signed into Toon Town just to tell you we'd pay you money to play CoH again."

The role-players amongst us might even make it a role-playing challenge. Write up, depending on the customizability of the avatars, a backstory for your character explaining he escaped a dying world of heroes and is a bit confused by the cartoony nature of his new home, but is seeking help to restore his old one. Or something like that.

Unless it's changed in the four or five years since I stopped playing, no. Toontown allows you to make a toon with several choices of species and a sizable wardrobe, but nothing quite to the extent of CoH. (You also have to pay with in-game currency for a lot of the clothes.) Making a heroic looking toon is... hard, to say the least. You can customize the name.

Segev

• Plan Z: Interim Producer
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #411 on: December 07, 2012, 05:39:43 AM »
Hm. Maybe just get a uniform t-shirt or something (a t-shirt in red with a star on the chest?) to do the parade in, then.

I dunno. Brainstorming; may not be a good idea.

healix

• Elite Boss
  • Every good friend was once a stranger
« Reply #412 on: December 07, 2012, 06:20:13 AM »
It's time to think outside the quadrilateral parallelogram.
Listen to the 'mustn'ts'. Listen to the 'don'ts'. Listen to the 'shouldn'ts', the 'impossibles', the 'won'ts'. Listen to the 'you'll never haves', then listen close to me... Anything can happen . Anything can be.

Arkasas

• Lieutenant
  • Ord of the West
« Reply #413 on: December 08, 2012, 02:31:15 AM »
Hm. Maybe just get a uniform t-shirt or something (a t-shirt in red with a star on the chest?) to do the parade in, then.

I dunno. Brainstorming; may not be a good idea.

Yeah, you could try that. Problem would be getting enough people to join you. (So, not many problems.)

LT. Couper

• Boss
  • The battle won't end until it's won!
« Reply #414 on: December 08, 2012, 04:08:21 AM »
Following up on my earlier comment about the CoH TCG template. Im just about done with making one but I don't have/can't find any decent quality AT logos, so the only only one I have is the scrapper logo (The original card was Ms. Liberty). So if someone could direct me to some good pictured of those logos, I would appreciate it.
"Heroes may die, but heroism never shall." ~Cyrus "Breakneck" Thompson

Turjan

• Elite Boss
  • You cannot kill a dream
« Reply #415 on: December 08, 2012, 05:13:46 PM »
Following up on my earlier comment about the CoH TCG template. Im just about done with making one but I don't have/can't find any decent quality AT logos, so the only only one I have is the scrapper logo (The original card was Ms. Liberty). So if someone could direct me to some good pictured of those logos, I would appreciate it.

Mother's Love has large versions of Archetype logos in this Photobucket album :-

City of Heroes Memorabilia Art

Merseine

• Boss
« Reply #416 on: December 08, 2012, 05:22:35 PM »
There's also a whole category called "Graphics" on the Paragon Wiki:  http://wiki.cohtitan.com/wiki/Category:Graphics
/em holdtorch

Nos482

• Elite Boss
  • We've gone and done the greatest crime...
    • My PSN profile
« Reply #417 on: December 09, 2012, 12:34:52 PM »
HEEEEEEEELLLLLLLP!

Well, maybe not exactly this...
My English is good enough for forums or in-game, but writing a letter?
Umm, well :-[
I'm bad and that's good.
I'll never be good and that's not bad.
There's no one I'd rather be than me.

...unless I could be Batman, of course. Everybody wants to be Batman.

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #418 on: December 09, 2012, 12:53:31 PM »
HEEEEEEEELLLLLLLP!

Well, maybe not exactly this...
My English is good enough for forums or in-game, but writing a letter?
Umm, well :-[

You start by explaining that you are not from the US or the UK, and that English is not your first language

You then tell Iger and Pleasants how much the game meant to you.  You tell them about the friends you met there.  You tell them anything at all about the game that made it so enjoyable for you.

You remind them that you are not from the US, and so the game really was international.

You thank them for reading.

Believe me, they will be more impressed that you made the effort than you think! 
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

Terwyn

• Plan Z: Business/Marketing Lead
  • Elite Boss
    • Missing Worlds
« Reply #419 on: December 09, 2012, 04:53:14 PM »
I will be working on Part VII tomorrow, and will at least partially focus on the efforts of Team Wildcard. The other focus will be on a certain interview. So, Part VII will be another Mercedes LacKey special. ;)
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction.
- Albert Einstein

http://missingworlds.wordpress.com