Author Topic: Call to Action! Team Wildcard needs YOU! TF Hail Mary LFM  (Read 177260 times)

Lily Barclay

• Elite Boss
Re: Call to Action! Team Wildcard needs YOU! TF Hail Mary LFM
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2012, 07:33:08 AM »
I will write my letters in the morning when my brain is fully functional again, and my kiddo will get started on hers after school tomorrow (she's actually a very good writer for her age).  Would it be helpful for her to include copies of stories she's written about her character (This is how she's dealt with the shutdown.  She figures if she can't play her character anymore, she can still write about her.)?

Lily Barclay

• Elite Boss
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2012, 07:34:23 AM »
I like Kingdom Hearts but I don't want KH in my CoH :<

Awesome as it would be to have heartless Arachnos running about

I don't really want Jedi in my CoH, but I will deal with it if it lets us keep the game, and provides the posibility of CoH2.

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
  • There are some who call me... Tim?
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2012, 07:36:12 AM »
^This.

I'm a big fan of uniformity in cases like this, and if the big enchiladas at Disney see the same envelope design over and over, it'll stand out more.

Anyone know who made this? I kinda like it, just needs to be a higher dpi.

If not, I'll try and whip up something tomorrow. Can't believe with all the other logos that got done there was never really one made for the movement itself. *facepalm*

Golden Girl

• One Liners and Winky Faces
  • Elite Boss
    • Heroes and Villains
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2012, 07:36:29 AM »
I don't really want Jedi in my CoH

After the Mecha Armor set, it was too late :P
"Heroes and Villains" website - http://www.heroes-and-villains.com
"Heroes and Villains" on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/HeroesAndVillainsMMORPG
"Heroes and Villains" on Twitter - https://twitter.com/Plan_Z_Studios
"Heroes and Villains" teaser trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnjKqNPfFv8
Artwork - http://goldengirlcoh.deviantart.com

Lily Barclay

• Elite Boss
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2012, 07:37:46 AM »

Anyone know who made this? I kinda like it, just needs to be a higher dpi.

If not, I'll try and whip up something tomorrow. Can't believe with all the other logos that got done there was never really one made for the movement itself. *facepalm*

What about the one on the patches?

NecrotechMaster

• Elite Boss
  • is there a badge for that?
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2012, 07:40:40 AM »
i dont know how i feel about disney taking it over, yes i agree they are more family friendly/kid focused, but idk

i think it would break coh for me if i started seeing disney or star wars characters in coh (well star wars characters semi invaded when they gave us the mecha armor, with the weapons which looked like 85% lightsaber lol)

the way i could see this being good is there would be a LOT less restrictions on copyright stuff, since many things people were copying in the first place are also now owned by disney (ie star wars like above, and DC comic characters) as well as having an actual marketing potential

really mixed feelings on it, as i could see both the good and bad outcomes, although the ultimate thing is i would rather see the game stay alive, even if it must be owned by disney

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
  • There are some who call me... Tim?
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2012, 07:40:53 AM »
What about the one on the patches?

It belongs to EspionageDB7 and it was only authorized for the patches. And I haven't been able to get ahold of Esp recently. :(

Lily Barclay

• Elite Boss
« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2012, 07:44:15 AM »
I want to think that some logos for free use were posted on the Save CoH facebook page early on.  Trying to sift through it now.

mikoroshi

• Boss
  • Author, Owner of Dogs
    • My Twitter
« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2012, 07:46:03 AM »
Is there any way we can see the pitch?

Not to copy from, but so we have an idea of what the message was, so we can tailor our own to be at least consistent with one another.
If you see me posting here, you need to tell me to stop it and get back to writing.

Lily Barclay

• Elite Boss
« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2012, 07:48:57 AM »
I found some of the logos, but they are tiny.  However, I'm pretty sure I can live trace them in Illustrator and increase the resolution.

BigAngry

• Underling
« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2012, 07:56:08 AM »
Generally, hand-written letters have a more personal feel to them than typewritten ones. If you've got legible handwriting, it's likely the better way to go.

Rejuvenatrix

• Underling
« Reply #31 on: November 26, 2012, 08:13:08 AM »
Thank you, Team Wild Card!  And thanks to you, Mercedes Lackey, for posting this before I have to go to work, so I don't have to wonder about it all day :)  I have already copied your post and forwarded it to all my SG/chat channel friends, and will be writing my letters tomorrow night.  I have to admit, when I first heard "Disney", I thought "what the heck?", but then I thought about it for a few minutes, and then thought "why the heck not?"   Many of us love this game because it is more family friendly than most games, and Disney would ensure it stayed that way.  People, don't go worrying about Jedi showing up in CoH.  They have SWOTOR for that.  As for Marvel characters showing up, it could be pretty awesome to have a new issue come out, with some SSA's with Marvel characters.  I say, let's not worry about that. Let's just get someone reputable to buy our beloved game.

Lily Barclay

• Elite Boss
« Reply #32 on: November 26, 2012, 08:32:28 AM »
I found some of the logos, but they are tiny.  However, I'm pretty sure I can live trace them in Illustrator and increase the resolution.

Bah.  Can't get it to look good.

Jetfire99

• Lieutenant
« Reply #33 on: November 26, 2012, 08:35:36 AM »
Generally, hand-written letters have a more personal feel to them than typewritten ones. If you've got legible handwriting, it's likely the better way to go.

That's a problem for me my handwriting is terrible so its typed for me.

unladenswallow

• Lieutenant
  • "Are you suggesting Coconuts Migrate?"
« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2012, 08:42:19 AM »
i dont know how i feel about disney taking it over, yes i agree they are more family friendly/kid focused, but idk

i think it would break coh for me if i started seeing disney or star wars characters in coh (well star wars characters semi invaded when they gave us the mecha armor, with the weapons which looked like 85% lightsaber lol)

the way i could see this being good is there would be a LOT less restrictions on copyright stuff, since many things people were copying in the first place are also now owned by disney (ie star wars like above, and DC comic characters) as well as having an actual marketing potential

really mixed feelings on it, as i could see both the good and bad outcomes, although the ultimate thing is i would rather see the game stay alive, even if it must be owned by disney

I'm pretty much on the same page as Necro. Disney has proven that they are the media masters and they are absolutely huge. While providing for some really great things some of which Necro pointed out it may not be as good as COH being owned by a gaming company that feels the same way we do about it. I think it's a good idea but I'd be willing to bet that if they did get COH they would want to do a major retooling or "Disneyfication" of it. It maybe an absolutely awesome thing or it may ruin the game for most of us. I would think that if a Western gaming company bought COH it would be far less likely that the game would be ruined through a retooling or other changes but the flip side of this coin is that they also don't have the potential success range that Disney is able to offer. Given our options though I think it's worth the risk.

Disney does have at least one MMO that I'm aware of, "Pirates of the Caribbean Online". At the insistent urging of a friend I tried it when it first came out several years ago and didn't like it much but could see how it could have some appeal to some gamers and to fans of the movie. It's ratings aren't that bad and it is touted as a very family friendly game.

http://piratesonline.go.com/welcome
"The World is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion." -Thomas Paine

Lily Barclay

• Elite Boss
« Reply #35 on: November 26, 2012, 08:57:37 AM »
It belongs to EspionageDB7 and it was only authorized for the patches. And I haven't been able to get ahold of Esp recently. :(

It says on his deviant art site that the logo can be used for whatever with Save CoH. He wrote it in the comments.

http://espionagedb7.deviantart.com/art/Request-Atlas-Park-33-326734331

~EspionageDB7 Sep 16, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Well I personally am not selling it into shirts or patches and stuff. But I made this for the CoH community. So you have 100% permission from me to do with this as you please. Do whatever you want - you can use Cafepress to make shirt designs of it if you'd like or there's this website: [link] that you can use to make it into a patch if you'd like.

Post it, use it, edit it, whatever - you got my permission to do as you please. :)

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #36 on: November 26, 2012, 09:05:24 AM »
Trust me, we sympathize with those of you who are nervous about the Mouse. 

However, under Eisner and Iger the Mouse has a pretty good history of taking studios that know what they are doing and leaving them alone.  Pixar, for instance.  IF they did anything with cross-marketing, I would expect weekly updates of the theater marquees and billboards in game, and MAYBE Portal mishes across universes, or something like an SSA.  Those you could take or leave, and they'd have no particular relevance to the CoH lore.

This is a very, very long shot.  We figured we would aim at the top, with the firm that literally can make an offer no one can refuse, and who could easily put our beloved devs back together.  And all with no worries, since they're in the same state.  After that, we aim our sights a little lower. 

Be sincere.  Be passionate.  Keep hitting home that CoH was the best selling superhero MMORPG for all eight years of its life.  And keep making the point that if Disney saves it, Disney has us for life.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

Tiberian Fiend

• Minion
  • Canis tiberius
« Reply #37 on: November 26, 2012, 09:13:38 AM »
How does this fix the problem of being unable to pitch something we don't own?
The Titantic Tiberian Fiend

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #38 on: November 26, 2012, 09:19:44 AM »
How does this fix the problem of being unable to pitch something we don't own?

Fan groups have always been able to pitch something that is being canceled to another venue.  The difference between us and "just another fan group" is that we have two of the Paragon Studios seniors there to set the hook if they bite.  THEY know who at NCSoft to contact and negotiate with.  THEY can put the studio back together.  Consider this the equivalent to the Browncoats having Joss Whedon on speed-dial as they pitch another Firefly movie or series to someone other than Fox.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

TSH67

• Underling
« Reply #39 on: November 26, 2012, 09:37:02 AM »
OK, I've shadowed these forums enough the past few years as I've kept my eye on the community. Time to get involved.

I won't be writing a letter during the last few days of the game, but I will be drafting one in my head, and tightening it up to something worth sending in the days following it. I think Disney is a long-shot, but then if they can drop $4 bills on the SW IP, I figure it's not a question of 'can they' but rather 'will they'. I've been told I can write well- it's time to bust that out as seriously as I can.