Author Topic:  (Read 6254 times)

Starsman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2012, 05:04:42 PM »
ArenaNet owns the IP to Guild Wars, NCsoft handles the production side of things - or vice versa. But if NCsoft decided to shut down the game, ArenaNet has first crack at buying it back themselves.

Michelle
aka
Samuraiko/Dark_Respite

It is my understanding that NCSoft aquired ArenaNet last year. They are as likely to be able to buy anything back and regain independence as Paragon Studios was. Actually... less. Guild Wars 2 was a huge success. There is absolute zero chance they will sell or license the GW1 IP to anyone as long as they decide to keep GW2 running.

If I'm missing somethinghere, I would love to know what it is.
For the sake of the community: please stop the cultural "research" in your attempt to put blame on the game's cancelation.

It's sickening to see the community sink that low. It's worse to see the community does not get it.

I'm signing off and taking a break, blindly hope things change.

Segev

• Plan Z: Interim Producer
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2012, 05:13:00 PM »
It is my understanding that NCSoft aquired ArenaNet last year. They are as likely to be able to buy anything back and regain independence as Paragon Studios was. Actually... less. Guild Wars 2 was a huge success. There is absolute zero chance they will sell or license the GW1 IP to anyone as long as they decide to keep GW2 running.

If I'm missing somethinghere, I would love to know what it is.
I've seen it stated a few times around here - without knowing for certain that the people making the statements are in fact correct - that Areanet has as part of its contract that governs NCSoft's acquisition of them that, should NCSoft wish to terminate its ownership of Areanet, Areanet has the right to buy itself - and all relevant IP - back from NCSoft.

Starsman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2012, 05:19:07 PM »
For the sake of the community: please stop the cultural "research" in your attempt to put blame on the game's cancelation.

It's sickening to see the community sink that low. It's worse to see the community does not get it.

Starsman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2012, 05:23:09 PM »
I've seen it stated a few times around here - without knowing for certain that the people making the statements are in fact correct - that Areanet has as part of its contract that governs NCSoft's acquisition of them that, should NCSoft wish to terminate its ownership of Areanet, Areanet has the right to buy itself - and all relevant IP - back from NCSoft.

I see. Would be interesting to see how that contract is worded, because there can be an insane number of loopholes, like "we are not terminating our ownership... we just want to relocate the studio to Korea, so you either come with us or you quit!"

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2012, 05:59:53 PM »

The right to buy it won't automatically mean they can buy it, as we saw with our game.
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Manga

• Elite Boss
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2012, 06:53:24 PM »

I believe NCSoft *is* trying to remove its entire presence in North America, and centralize in Korea.  I'm not sure what will happen to Guild Wars 2, but it's likely if you're a player of any of their games from the U.S., you'll have to look forward to almost no support (the support crew would be centralized in Korea too), servers located in Korea - creating connection problems for players of games like Aion and GW2, as well as weird maintenance windows - and slow future development, since Korean language versions would be released first.

The only positive to GW2 is it's relatively independent, and they can search for a new publisher, or go independent, if they don't like the new terms (very likely that all servers and support will be relocated to Korea).  If they can't agree, though, we may see them disappear as well.

SithRose

• Plan Z: Lore Lead
  • Elite Boss
  • The Phoenix is coming.
    • Missing Worlds Media - Plan Z: The Phoenix Project
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2012, 08:49:04 PM »
It would appear that the "realignment" involves the probability of NCSoft releasing marketing and PR for individual games back to the studios that produce those games, rather than handling all marketing for all games themselves.

This is, I think, a good sign for the individual studios.
Lore Lead for Plan Z: The Phoenix Project
Secretary of Missing Worlds Media, Inc.