Author Topic: Your favorite XP-Era or earlier game?  (Read 4256 times)

malonkey1

• Elite Boss
  • A person who does stuff.
Your favorite XP-Era or earlier game?
« on: November 17, 2012, 04:18:40 AM »
Alright, this is more centered on PC games, but I suppose it'd include any computer game. So, what's your favorite game from 2004 back, and why?

Alright, I'll go first: Neverwinter Nights.

The basic campaign was meh, but the expansions had a great plot.
The game held pretty true to its D&D 3E roots.
The Toolkit. THE TOOLKIT. It gave such huge options, you could do almost anything! I've seen people convert NWN (a game intended for High Fantasy) into all sorts of things, hell, even Cyberpunk, all through the in-box toolkit! This was the most adaptable, comprehensive, and freeform custom content generator of its day, and it was absolutely amazing! I could go on for hours about it. And this wasn't some dumbed-down "kiddie" tool, either. They pretty much said, "Hey, let's give the players access to ALL THE TOOLS WE USED TO MAKE THE CAMPAIGN." It was...glorious. And the truly brilliant part is, people still mod it today.

Your turn. Any game played on a computer device, only rule is, it had to come before Vista.
BadWolf: "The point that JaguarX is trying to make, of course, is that City of Heroes is like a tree. And Google is like a Toyota...Corolla...? Which would make NCSoft a trespasser, shot by...um, Mister T...which is good, because diplomacy...?"

The internet is full of Comedy Gold.

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
Re: Your favorite XP-Era or earlier game?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2012, 04:57:59 AM »
Dungeon Siege. It's the only game in existence that I have actually completed to the end.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2012, 06:02:55 AM »
Lucasarts used to own my soul.

X-Wing
Tie Fighter
Full Throttle
Grim Fandango

I could go on and on...
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Mr. NoPants

• Underling
  • Justice does not have time for restrictive clothin
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2012, 02:09:28 PM »
Space Quest 2
Full Throttle

SQ2 was the first computer game I played by myself and I did in on an 8088 it was amazing.

ohms

• Boss
    • OV website
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2012, 04:14:36 PM »
Lucasarts used to own my soul.

X-Wing
Tie Fighter
Full Throttle
Grim Fandango

I could go on and on...

Oh yes, I've wasted so much time playing LucasArts and Bullfrog games :)

JWBullfrog

• Elite Boss
  • I didn't leave Paragon City. They threw me out!
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2012, 01:34:05 AM »
Lets see. Favorite old school games....

Yar's revenge.
Star Control (before there was a 2)
Lemmings
Trog
Xevious
Red Baron
Tron

You did say earlier...
As long as somebody keeps making up stories for it, the City isn't gone.

LadyWizard

• Minion
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2012, 01:37:57 AM »
The King's quest series(well 1-7 never played 8)
Loom

Mentalshock

• Boss
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2012, 05:32:49 AM »
Three games top my list:

Master of Orion II
  Space Quest (The entire Series)
  and:

Civilization III

Kaiser Tarantula

• Elite Boss
  • @Nerva
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2012, 11:11:19 AM »
Dungeon Keeper 2, and an honorable mention to the original Dungeon Keeper and Evil Genius.

One thing I loved about these two games (aside from the obvious appeal of playing a high-fantasy setting in reverse, as the malevolent entity the goody-two-shoes heroes are opposing) is the amount of character it had.  Every creature in your dungeon is unique, and has its own needs and reactions, and since you don't control them directly, dungeon management consisted of placing rooms of the appropriate size and constructing paths so that the correct monsters had to wander by those rooms.

For instance, Bile Demons are slothful, slovenly, flatulent, perpetually hungry, and slow-moving, but they're also one of only 3 creatures in the game that can manufacture Traps in a Workshop.  As a result, you want to build your Lair (where monsters sleep), Hatchery (where your monsters eat baby chicks, evil!), and Workshop close together, so that your Bile demons don't get irritated while schlepping their two-ton bulk from point A to point B.

Even more extreme are Dark Mistresses, oversexed, underdressed claw-and-magic-wielding BDSM berserkers.  Most creatures dislike pain; Dark Mistresses love it, to the point where slapping them actually makes them happier.  They also charge into fights after only minimal spellcasting, simply because they relish causing and suffering pain.  When idle, they staff your Torture Room - which they affectionately call the "Playroom."

There's few other RTS games that give your ordinary rank-and-file units such personality, and then make it a gameplay mechanic, and I kinda love it.

therain93

• Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2012, 02:40:31 PM »
LucasArts Outlaws
X-COM: UFO defense
Civilization series (each of the originals)
Baldur's Gate 1 & 2   <------------------- I intend to replay this again in December/January, esp since an Enhanced Edition is being released.
Wing Commander
Star Wars: Te FIghter
Freedom Force
Space Quest I-IV
Unreal Tournament
SSI Ad&d Dragonlance (Silver Box series)
Police Quest 1-3
City of Heroes/City of Villains
Star Control 2
Diablo 2
Age of Empires 2 (one of my favorite multi-player games along with UT)
« Last Edit: November 18, 2012, 02:58:47 PM by therain93 »
@Texarkana - March 5, 2004 - December 1, 2012 -- Imageshack |-| Youtube
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You don't know what it's like.... |-| Book One. Chapter one...

Samuel Tow

• Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2012, 04:18:00 PM »
If I had to point to one game, it would be Bungie's last project before they sold their souls to Microsoft: Oni. It's easily the best third-person fighting game, it has some of the best animations even today (I'm drawing fighting stances from it for an art project), it had a story that's been the basis of so much of what I've written and it has, bar none, the best level design to this day. Buildings where interiors and exteriors exist in the same space and match each other have not been done in any other game that I'm aware of, at least not to the extent of an entire 12-storey building.
Of all the things I've lost,
I think I miss my mind the most.

therain93

• Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2012, 05:48:07 PM »
If I had to point to one game, it would be Bungie's last project before they sold their souls to Microsoft: Oni. It's easily the best third-person fighting game, it has some of the best animations even today (I'm drawing fighting stances from it for an art project), it had a story that's been the basis of so much of what I've written and it has, bar none, the best level design to this day. Buildings where interiors and exteriors exist in the same space and match each other have not been done in any other game that I'm aware of, at least not to the extent of an entire 12-storey building.

Ya know, I actually have a copy of Oni on my shelf that I still need to get to -- CoH has displaced many a game's place on the to-do shelf.  Sounds even more promising based on your description.
@Texarkana - March 5, 2004 - December 1, 2012 -- Imageshack |-| Youtube
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You don't know what it's like.... |-| Book One. Chapter one...

Samuel Tow

• Elite Boss
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2012, 06:06:53 PM »
Ya know, I actually have a copy of Oni on my shelf that I still need to get to -- CoH has displaced many a game's place on the to-do shelf.  Sounds even more promising based on your description.

Just be prepared for some very old graphics and technical difficulties. There are fan-made patches that make the game work perfectly on newer machines and higher resolutions (I played mine on Windows 7 x64 at 1920x1080), but it's an old game :) 2001, I believe.

ohms

• Boss
    • OV website
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2012, 06:35:56 PM »
Interesting, I think I still have a copy of Oni lying around somewhere.

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2012, 02:57:19 PM »
Elite.

Nothing has ever come close to the wonder of that wire frame world.

Ampithere

• Elite Boss
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2012, 04:22:10 PM »
Baldur's Gate 1 & 2.

CoH has been the only other game I've ever spent as much time playing and enjoying. The first Knights of the Old Republic gets an honorable mention, but I'm still bitter over the horrible story of KotOR II.  :P
@Rorn

Most recently active as Blue Baron

Guardian Server

malonkey1

• Elite Boss
  • A person who does stuff.
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2012, 04:43:03 PM »
Baldur's Gate 1 & 2.

CoH has been the only other game I've ever spent as much time playing and enjoying. The first Knights of the Old Republic gets an honorable mention, but I'm still bitter over the horrible story of KotOR II.  :P

Yeah, Bioware games tend to fall in the smaller part of Sturgeon's law. (I.E. they're pretty often good.)
BadWolf: "The point that JaguarX is trying to make, of course, is that City of Heroes is like a tree. And Google is like a Toyota...Corolla...? Which would make NCSoft a trespasser, shot by...um, Mister T...which is good, because diplomacy...?"

The internet is full of Comedy Gold.

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2012, 06:05:31 AM »
X-Wing vs. Tie Fighter - the first game I played co-op online with a friend
Space Quest (all)
Quest for Glory (aka Hero Quest before the name was changed to avoid confusion)
King's Quest
Planescape: Torment
Wing Commander III
Star Control II
Sam & Max
Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist
Maniac Mansion Day of the Tentacle

I co-piloted many of these with a friend (or friends), helping with puzzles and taking shifts at the keyboard.  Memories... fuzzy, fuzzy memories.
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

Janrith

• Minion
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2012, 10:09:09 AM »
Let's see...

Baldur's Gate 1 & 2
Icewind Dale 1 & 2
Arcanum
Fallout 1 & 2
Heroes of Might & Magic 1-4
Neverwinter Nights (still have an unfinished conversion for B2 Keep on the Borderlands I'm planning on finishing someday)
Dungeon Keeper
Populous

Heraclea

• Minion
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2012, 06:28:20 PM »
Since Neverwinter Nights has already been mentioned, I'll bring up Forgotten Realms Unlimited Adventures; these two games and CoH account for at least 75% of my gaming time.  FRUA was a game creator that allowed you to create games that played like the old Gold Box PC D&D games that started with Pool of Radiance.  Eventually, the game was extensively hacked to allow the import of walls, new music, and other features. 

Shadowhawke

• Minion
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2012, 05:14:33 PM »
EverQuest. Hands down. But it's not just a game of the past; for those that haven't been paying attention to it for years, the 19th expansion pack, Rain of Fear goes live in about 48 hours.

I'm going to be torn between the final days on CoH and wanting to see the new content in EQ; if any still play there, I can be found on Tunare/7th Hammer as master wizard Shadowhawke Starwatcher.

Samuel Tow

• Elite Boss
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2012, 11:41:29 AM »
Star Control II

I've always considered Mass Effect to be something of a spiritual successor to Star Control II. The link isn't very direct, but the large spanning "space opera" type setting replete with weird aliens and their own wondrous cultures is very much the same. It's part of what makes both games so good :)

Synodontis

• Minion
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2012, 03:28:41 AM »
I used to play on a MUD called "Land of the Lost Unicorn" or "LUN" for short.  I wonder what happened to it.  It was text based, and the only thing of the sort I played until I discovered COH two years ago (wish I had discovered COH earlier...). 

It was a lot of fun.  We got to beat up on chicken pot pies, and stuff :)