Author Topic: Do we have a name?  (Read 5726 times)

LT. Couper

• Boss
  • The battle won't end until it's won!
Re: Do we have a name?
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2012, 03:24:07 AM »
Seconded.
Thirdeded? Thirded? Whatever, I agree.
"Heroes may die, but heroism never shall." ~Cyrus "Breakneck" Thompson

Colette

• Elite Boss
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2012, 05:47:29 AM »
We have been evicted from our destroyed city. We are Atlas Park's Castaways. Virtue's Outcasts, Caped Refugees. We are Paragon's Orphans. NCSoft's Exiles, the Masked Exodus. We are the Evicted Guardians, the Homeless Heroes. The Lost Knights.

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2012, 05:49:39 AM »
We have been evicted from our destroyed city. We are Atlas Park's Castaways. Virtue's Outcasts, Super Refugees. We are Paragon's Orphans. Caped Exiles, the Masked Exodus. We are the Evicted Guardians, the Homeless Heroes. The Lost Knights.
As said before, not all of us are heroes.

I like Titans. Multiple meanings ftw.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Colette

• Elite Boss
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2012, 06:03:57 AM »
Dude, brainstorming...! You threw off my groove.

I'm sorry, but you've thrown off Colette's groove. :: Flings from tall building. ::

Segev

• Plan Z: Interim Producer
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2012, 01:32:35 PM »
Well, here's hoping NCSoft fails to lock the Titans in Tartarus, if we go with that name.  ;)

Quinch

« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2012, 03:05:17 PM »
While I do like 33s, I think the name needs to clearly indicate who we are.  AP33 is a symbol or idea that I don't think most people will understand.  If you have to explain what your name means, it's not as effective.

I don't know, it did work for the Browncoats.

Blackbird71

• Minion
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2012, 05:41:04 PM »
I don't know, it did work for the Browncoats.

The difference being that "Browncoats" is a term used in the series referring to a specific group; if you've seen the series, you get the reference and immediately make a connection to those who fought for their own freedom and independence.

"Thirty-threes," or "33s", is much more vague; even someone who plays the game may not have any idea what it is supposed to mean, and that's bad.  At the very least, we want something that those familiar with our source material (the game itself, not the Save CoH movement) will instantly recognize.

And as for rejecting some of the suggested names on the grounds that "we are not all heroes," I think we need to separate in-game characters from out-of-game efforts.  Hero, villain, and rogue are all united here in the efforts to save CoH, and that makes each of them heroic.

Sapphire Jane

• Underling
« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2012, 05:58:26 PM »
City Saviors

My 2 cents worth -

*hands you a penny* "Here's your change"
"I try to forget the night that you left.  It's all so unreal with you gone." Journey

Triplash

• Elite Boss
« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2012, 06:07:00 PM »
if you've seen the series, you get the reference

The only objection to that is, people can go back and watch that series at any time to understand the reference in its proper context. In this case the only option we may have, at least for a while, is to explain it ourselves.

With that in mind, which experience do we want our collective name to refer to? If it's to reflect the years we spent playing the game, then we should pick a term from within the game. If it's to reflect the time we're spending trying to save the game, then we should pick a term from our efforts here. And if that's the case, I vote for "Thirty-Threes" or "Torchbearers"... that event was pretty iconic and summarizes our determination perfectly.

Flashtoo

• Minion
« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2012, 06:20:36 PM »
I like Torchbearers.

Triplash

• Elite Boss
« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2012, 06:51:48 PM »
Wait a minute, what about "Menders"? They've been around for years, they don't care if you're hero or villain so long as you'll fight, and they're struggling against overwhelming odds to prevent a world-shattering catastrophe...

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2012, 06:58:04 PM »
Titans of Paragon

In fact I would wonder if we could have a vote for a name and create a Super group to finish out the days with like minded folks.

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2012, 07:00:50 PM »
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

OzonePrime

• Elite Boss
  • Never Give Up! Never Surrender!
« Reply #33 on: November 13, 2012, 07:53:27 PM »
The Murdered 33's is what we are about to be. 
Like Titans.
Yes, Titans of Paragon has a good ring to it!

JWBullfrog

• Elite Boss
  • I didn't leave Paragon City. They threw me out!
« Reply #34 on: November 13, 2012, 08:52:45 PM »
Citizens
As long as somebody keeps making up stories for it, the City isn't gone.

Ammon

• Team Wildcard
  • Boss
  • UK marketing guy and City of Heroes addict
« Reply #35 on: November 13, 2012, 11:22:14 PM »
We could be the Vee's so it's Tony and the Vees :) but that would be unfair to others who have lead events and such or put a lot of effort into helping us.. Secretly i'd love us to be Fansy's Fansies :D ... but again unfair to others So I'm with 33s or Titans
We could alway be Vanguard - the super-powered alliance of heroes and villains uniting to save the world.  This would then indeed let us shorten it to V, which honors Tony, VV, and a certain superhero who believed in Freedom Forever.

Colette

• Elite Boss
« Reply #36 on: November 14, 2012, 04:06:42 AM »
Okay... the name is for our audience, not for us. Here we can call ourselves the Save CoH movement, the Torchbearers, the 33s, Titans, doesn't matter. The outside, non-CoH audience won't understand what we're referring to.

We want the name to inspire sympathy and admiration from our audience all at once, and to be as easy to understand as possible.

Villains do not evoke sympathy or admiration. Despite Aggelakis's objections, I'm sticking to heroes.

It needs to be catchy, alliteration and meter are a plus.

Again I say we are the Homeless Heroes. Two trochees, alliteration, simple and poignant.

Flashtoo

• Minion
« Reply #37 on: November 14, 2012, 05:45:15 AM »
Wait a minute, what about "Menders"? They've been around for years, they don't care if you're hero or villain so long as you'll fight, and they're struggling against overwhelming odds to prevent a world-shattering catastrophe...

+1 for Menders

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #38 on: November 14, 2012, 05:54:03 AM »
I'm frankly surprised that this has gone as far as it has, but I'm in for Menders or the Thirty-Threes (evokes the nickname for Deep Space Nine fans, "The Niners," also an in-joke), in no particular order other than alphabetical.
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."