Author Topic: Calling all CoH players - I want to talk with you about CoH's closure  (Read 4543 times)

SirJD

• Underling
Originally posted at the Official CoH forums - was referred here by some very helpful members

Greetings Titan Network forums,
My name is Jamie, I'm a freelance writer for a number of videogame outlets (PCPP Magazine, VG247 etc), and I'd love to talk with you.

Late last year a game by the name of Star Wars Galaxies (Article) closed its doors. Sadly I was too late to jump aboard and experience the closing weeks, but I was lucky enough to be able to talk to players, both past and present, and find out just what the SWG experience was like. An obituary to a deceased game, if you will.

Well, not twelve months later and I'm feeling in a familiar position: there's another MMO closing down. Yet this time around, things feel different. There's more of a ruckus from players to keep it alive, more of a wider outpouring of sadness at its closure. And, undoubtedly, stories that are worth telling.

Stories I want to tell.

While the article I am writing is yet to be picked up by any outlets, I am in continual talks with finding it a home, and will be able to share that information at a later date. So, what do I need from you?

I'll admit, I'm new to CoH. I dabbled with it a little around launch and never returned. That is, until now: I was lucky enough to create a new account just before account creation was closed down, and I'm ready and willing to come along for the ride that is City of Heroes' closure.

And that's where you all come in: I want to talk to you. I want to know what it was like before launch - the anticipation, the excitement. What it was like in the early days, or years. How the game felt. Memorable moments. Why you played CoH, and why you still do today.

With my new character, I'd also like to play with you all too. I want more than just recounting of stories to make up the entirety of this article. I want to experience it with you: I want to wander the streets with you, be taken to your favourite spots, and see how those places change as things wrap up, and hear about what they were like before. My in-game name is @SirJD, so if you see me online, say hi!

I'm also planning on being there at the finale too, seeing how everyone bids farewell.

I'm a little unfamiliar as to whether any developers frequent these forums too, but just in case, I'd love to talk to you too. We often hear about the player experience when an MMO shuts its doors: I'd love to hear from the other side too.

If anyone has any interest in contributing to a piece which will hopefully bring this story to a large group of people, feel free to reply, PM, or email me at Dalzell . Jamie @ gmail . com. - and I'll get back to you with some initial questions. Then we can progress from there

I look forward to talking with you all!

---------------------
Web: http://www.ponderingthepixels.com
Email: Dalzell . Jamie @ gmail . com
Twitter: www.twitter.com/sir_jd
« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 09:29:06 PM by SirJD »

CapaDevans

• Minion
Re: Calling all CoH players - I want to talk with you about CoH's closure
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2012, 10:15:01 AM »
I've linked this onto FaceBook.

:)

Rae

• Elite Boss
  • Journo/PR: The Phoenix Project
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2012, 11:38:31 AM »
This thread might be a good place to start:

http://www.cohtitan.com/forum/index.php/topic,5070.0.html
--
@Vandellia
Virtue - Vandellia / Unseen Scarlet

Twitter: @Skybloopink

Elfin

• Lieutenant
  • Never Fear Elfin Is Here
    • Ken's Super Sci Fi Page
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2012, 04:13:31 PM »
I sent an email. I hope I got the email address right. I took all the spaces out but I wasn't sure about the period between the 2 first names before the @.  Dalzell.Jamie @ gmail . com  I would love to answer any questions you have. Part of my story is in the Testimonials thread.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 04:42:04 PM by Elfin »

Graphite

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2012, 04:29:20 PM »
*throws this to the top of his to do list once comic con stuff is done*

Elfin

• Lieutenant
  • Never Fear Elfin Is Here
    • Ken's Super Sci Fi Page
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2012, 04:43:01 PM »
sorry I didn't think about the bots. I changed the email address so its less bot friendly.

pandora114

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2012, 04:55:29 PM »
http://littledinobug.blogspot.ca/  Feel free to use whatever you want from my blog.  Especially Call To Arms: Special Needs Parents and  Breasts and Camels.

SirJD

• Underling
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2012, 09:11:10 PM »
Hey everyone!
As I mentioned over at the official CoH forums, I'm going to be playing CoH every day up 'till its closure, and I'm currently looking for any volunteers wanting to take me on a bit of a tour of the city, perhaps visiting favourite places or recounting in-game memories. I really want to see, for myself, what it is about Paragon City that makes it such a fantastic canvas for all of these stories to grow.

My in-game ID is @SirJD, and you can also find me on Steam under SirJD if I'm not in CoH at the time and you want to chat/talk.

Rotten Luck

• Elite Boss
  • "I'd rather go out a hero than a coward."
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2012, 09:58:32 PM »
I'm on Virtue a level 50 Hero brute named Rotten Luck my global is @Rotten Luck.  I be happy to take you on a tour.

What is your server I'm sure we can find you a few guides.

You might also want to check out the VOICES thread here on the Titan forums.
One way or another... Heroes will fly again!

Kaiser Tarantula

• Elite Boss
  • @Nerva
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2012, 10:09:31 PM »
If you're ever on Beta server, hunt up Kaiser Tarantula, Voidwalker, Shining Commando, Lord Banefire, or Rudy Thunderhead (global @Nerva).  I'll be happy to reminisce and discuss things with you.

SirJD

• Underling
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2012, 10:11:11 PM »
Hi Rotten Luck,
 I'm currently on Virtue too, with a fairly low level character given how recently I started. Looking to rectify that over the coming days so I'm better able to look around. Let me know your timezone/what times are best for you and I'll wake myself at some insane hour to come say hi ;)

Rotten Luck

• Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2012, 03:06:05 AM »
I'm Eastern time Zone but run night shift.  So when I normally game is after 8:pm.  I think we can do some Tasks forces that's always a good way to level and fun as heck.

SirJD

• Underling
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2012, 07:52:37 AM »
Sounds good! I'm in Australia so I'm AEST (GMT+10). Let me know what days you're free and we can meet up :)

Rotten Luck

• Elite Boss
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2012, 12:17:25 PM »
Lets see I'm Free the 24th, 26th, 27th, and 28th.  I'm going to start a new character see if I can get a Peace Bringer to 50. 

Atlantea

• Elite Boss
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2012, 01:17:12 PM »
Glad to meet up with and talk with you in-game JD. Glad I could help. And I'll be on again later tonight for more touring.

Axonius

• Minion
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2012, 04:46:39 PM »
I think CoX's greatest strength, was it's ability to appeal to both the causal and hard core players AND the ability to allow those two groups to play and contribute at the same level. I think this fact alone is one thing that kept many people hooked. I never understood why the game didn't take off bigger than it did. I can only assume it was because the niche was just too small.

While this experience has convinced me to not become involved in MMOs in the foreseeable future, I find some satisfaction in the fact that CoX's creativity and ideas have been absorbed into the world of MMOs and has been, and will continue to be a very significant influence in our lives and gaming in general.

Minotaur

• Elite Boss
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2012, 10:24:06 PM »
Glad to meet up with and talk with you in-game JD. Glad I could help. And I'll be on again later tonight for more touring.
Also glad I could chat with you in game. Shard, Faultline and PD ticked off the tour.

SirJD

• Underling
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2012, 06:28:05 AM »
Sounds good Rotten Luck, I'm on every night, my time, so if you ever see me on (@SirJD) give me a yell and we can meet. Given account restrictions I can't "Tell" back, so I'll meet anyone at the steps to City Hall when they message me.

Regards,
 Jamie