Author Topic: Off topic I know, but time's running short..  (Read 1451 times)

Zolgar

• Grand Poobah of Plan Z
  • Boss
Off topic I know, but time's running short..
« on: November 07, 2012, 07:20:21 AM »
Apologies for the off-topic post.. I don't usually do things like this, but we're running out of ideas and ya'll are some of the most awesome people I know. If this gets deleted or buried, I won't be bumping or reposting it.

My parents will both be riding in El Tour De Tucson, a 110 mile bike ride (though mom is only doing the 42 mile stretch) this year. The ride is done to support an assortment of charities, and requires a certain amount of charitable donations to gathered in order to ride. The ride is a week and a half away, and unfortunately they're still both short on their donation goals.

I fully understand, we have Real World Hero right now, and several other things recent, not to mention the economy and the coming holidays. Most of us are tapped out for charity. I know, and if that's the case for you, thank you for everything you've done so far! If you feel like sharing these on Facebook or the like, awesome, otherwise, feel free to completely ignore them too!

My parents are both gamers as well (not CoH unfortunately), and do support our cause. >.> I might even be able to talk them in to having #SaveCoH flags on their trikes ;)

My mom is riding for Beads of Courage:
(removed link since ride is over)

Beads of Courage (http://www.beadsofcourage.org/pages/about.htm) is an organization which provides funding for research in to pediatric medicine we well as .. well it's hard to explain in short so:
"Ongoing evaluation of the Beads of Courage program indicates that the program helps to decrease illness-related distress, increase the use of positive coping strategies, helps children find meaning in illness, and restore sense of self in children coping with serious illness. The program also provides something tangible the child can use to tell about their experience during treatment and after."

Dad is riding for Tu Nidito, specifically a little girl named Talia:
(revo si edir ecnis knil devomer)

"Tu Nidito Children and Family Services provides comfort, hope and support for children and families whose lives have been impacted by a serious medical condition or death. Through its array of support groups and individual services Tu Nidito provides emotional, social, and educational tools to children and families and empowers them with strength and skills for the future."

All donations to either endeavor are tax deductible, too!

Push comes to shove.. the parents will fund the remainder from their own pockets.. but, especially for my mom only 3 people have actually donated and it's kinda depressing her.

Thank you for your time, and once again I apologize for the random off-topic post.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2012, 09:16:16 AM by Zolgar »

Mr. Wentworth

• Lieutenant
  • "I aim to misbehave..."
    • Real World Hero
Re: Off topic I know, but time's running short..
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2012, 08:07:49 AM »
Speaking as Real World Hero, our mission has always been to encourage heroic action in the real world through volunteerism and charitable living. Personally, we support various other charities outside of the Real World Hero drive as well and always encourage people to continue supporting causes that are near and dear to them. Beads of Courage and Tu Nidito look wonderful! Not that it's needed at all, but my blessings on anyone that is inspired to support your parents and these charities. That's what Real World Hero is all about. Best of luck to your parents!

Hyperstrike

• Elite Boss
  • SaveCoH!
    • So Super It Hurts
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2012, 05:43:58 PM »
Dropped a little on both your mom and your dad.

It's not a lot, but there's a lot of charities out there.

Zolgar

• Grand Poobah of Plan Z
  • Boss
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2012, 03:05:27 AM »
Dropped a little on both your mom and your dad.

It's not a lot, but there's a lot of charities out there.

Every little bit helps, and it made mom's day :)
Thanks!

Zolgar

• Grand Poobah of Plan Z
  • Boss
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2012, 09:14:24 AM »
In case anyone is wondering, mom and dad both met their goals.
The ride was Saturday.

Mom made the 42 miles easily- maintained almost a 10 mph average (not bad at all for a 50 year old overweight woman with an artificial hip).
Dad had to bow out about 60 miles in to the 111- not out of 'bonking' or being out of shape and unprepared though. He started having a sharp stabbing pain in his knee that got worse the further he went. He should be fine, but he'll be making an appointment to see an orthopedist soon as this is the 2nd time it's happened and he wants to find out if he just needs to strengthen the leg or if there's a serious problem.

Once again, I would like to thank those who gave for their support. :)