Author Topic: Still got money  (Read 2046 times)

spindisc

• Minion
    • Random Dice - CoH
Still got money
« on: December 07, 2012, 11:17:06 PM »
Considering my history, I've bailed out a lot of money in addition to my 7 year 3 months subscription. And you don't even see the Freedom points I bought except for the 6190 I still had left to spend.

NCSoft, why didn't you want my money anymore?

Disney, shut up and take my money! Now!  :D

Tubbius

• Fun Title
  • Elite Boss
Re: Still got money
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2012, 12:19:28 AM »
I ended with 37 points left to spend.  I would have gladly spent them if I could.  :)

Perfidus

• Elite Boss
  • "I, ah.. understand."
    • My arts.
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2012, 12:55:16 AM »
I never wasted my points. Or my infamy. I had faith until the end.

Tubbius

• Fun Title
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2012, 03:02:07 AM »
Well, Tubbius, assuming he is still around digitally on some NCSoft hard drive, still has a billion influence to his ho-ho-hoing name.  :)

And Pistola is still wearing his custom orange shades.

And Waddle still misses his Poppa.  :(
« Last Edit: December 08, 2012, 03:39:46 AM by Tubbius »

Perfidus

• Elite Boss
  • "I, ah.. understand."
    • My arts.
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2012, 03:23:00 AM »
I think I had around 15 billion at the end. I originally planned to give it all away in costume contests, so I could get a buncha people together and get screens. But I never did.

faith.grins

• Boss
  • Split your lungs with blood and thunder.
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2012, 03:39:06 AM »
I know I had one toon at the influence cap and another three with 1billion+; beyond that I didn't count.  In the last three months, anytime someone I was teamed with or chatting with on a global channel said something about affording something for a build, I'd just mail them however much they said they needed.  I even mailed a couple people a few million the last evening, although God only knows what they could have possibly spent it on.

I think NetherGoat once described himself as "rich enough to afford whatever I want.  Still too poor to use the Prestige-o-matic."  I always liked that.  I wish one day I had had occasion to use it.
Aram:  "Man, just look at all this.  Sometimes it's hard to believe that we get to live surrounded by such wonder."
Gamal:  "We don't live over there." Aram:  "We don't?"
Gamal:  "No.  We live over there." Aram:  "... But it's all on fire."
Gamal:  "Yes it is, Aram.  Yes it is."

NecrotechMaster

• Elite Boss
  • is there a badge for that?
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2012, 05:16:07 AM »
my toons were never really loaded inf wise, i would usually give it away or spend it on the market the moment i had enough, the most i ever had at any one time was prolly 1.5 bil, but i blew that in like half an hour buying purps lol

i think i had about 2000 pts at the end, i never ran through them cause there wasnt anything i wanted from the market cause i already had most of it

depending on what came out on the market that month, i prolly spent $0-$100 in addition to my sub on points for that month

Perfidus

• Elite Boss
  • "I, ah.. understand."
    • My arts.
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2012, 05:25:14 AM »
If we get the game back, and everything we have is restored, I'll give away my entire fortune to you guys. I have no problems with starting over money wise. In such a scenario, I'll make a thread where the first fifteen people get a billion inf each. Call it payment for helping me through these hard times.

But then I expected nothing less from this community.

valaton

• Underling
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2012, 05:51:44 AM »
I think I ended up with under 100 points, but a lot of the last thousand or so was spent on costume bits for the "After the End" screenshots.

And an Echo of Statesman temp power. Because he deserved to be there at the very end.

As for inf...I don't think I ever had a character break 300m. I was never really into the market, and my attention span was far too short for me to let that accumulate without shunting it off to various alts.

Triplash

• Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2012, 07:17:01 AM »
I had over 9600 points left. I was holding onto them specifically for the second set of super packs. :-\ I hung onto them a while longer just in case, but on my birthday I said what the hey and spent the whole thing on super packs. I filled up my characters' inventories with the ATOs and dual insps, so when we can finally load the Sentinel files into something I'll have a bunch of stuff I can use or give friends. That's the day I decided to deliberately choose to be optimistic, regardless of what I might have been feeling.

Heh... finally got that black wolf. *facepalm*

Perfidus

• Elite Boss
  • "I, ah.. understand."
    • My arts.
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2012, 07:19:20 AM »
Funnily enough I got a black wolf on my very first Super Pack. >.<

johnrobey

• Elite Boss
  • CoH global: @Kristoff von Gelmini
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2012, 01:04:52 PM »
Considering my history, I've bailed out a lot of money in addition to my 7 year 3 months subscription. And you don't even see the Freedom points I bought except for the 6190 I still had left to spend.

NCSoft, why didn't you want my money anymore?

Disney, shut up and take my money! Now!  :D

Yeah, I hear you loud and clearly.  My account profile shows I started in May 2009.  (I had to jump thru the hoops with NCSoft Support to get my Master Account password reset after CoH Sunset--I'm guessing that had something to do with how they turned it off--but communication on both sides was polite; I just had to dig for old info.)  I was fortunate in being able to subscribe (I mean as in being able to afford to) non-stop until Game Over.  I'd only allowed myself to buy extra perks on rare occasions, such as for a couple of the old Booster packs.  I didn't spend anything like the amounts friends with greater disposable incomes did.  (A disability retirement annuity doesn't go far, even with budgeting and frugal spending.)  I let an sgmate convince me to buy $15.00 worth of Paragon points in early July, since he was right and had game continued, I'd have wanted Nature Affinity and various of the goodies in the Paragon Market cash shop. 

I was well accustomed to earning everything in-game, since that's how it's done (or used to be) in tabletop and LARP campaigns, often run by friends. Heck, the idea of paying for anything out-of-game for in-game feels wrong to me.  That was one thing I liked about Incarnate.  Finally, here was something that was not just another commodity at the Auction House, but something each character had to earn for him or herself.  Cynically, I figured someone had calculated this would result in longer game play, but I enjoyed the leagues and incarnate trials well enough that I didn't mind.  CoH experiences are unique; one friend brought the superheroes he'd created in childhood imagination and CoH gave them life, even as his short stories and fiction gave them life in another way.   (He's back to writing now, btw.)

I liked my characters, wanted to dress them nice, have cool powers, write good biographies for them, but ultimately CoH has felt to me like a vast and wonderful amusement park, one in which I enjoyed almost all the rides.  (I still love a lot of the lowbie content.)  Maybe CoH was more like the Renaissance Festivals or Science Fiction conventions, where everyone dresses up in costume, roleplays and participates.  I'm also enough of an old school strategy & tactics gamer that I didn't ignore IO set bonuses, only it took me about 2-1/2 years finally to be able to earn reliably enough in-game to have what I wanted for any toon I was serious about.  The measly 300 odd Paragon Points I had at the end, I never spent, hoping 1. that Sunset would never come, and 2. I needed a couple of more months worth of points from VIP to buy the next thing(s) I wanted from their Market.

I see I've gone from commiserating to talking about me!  Sorry about that, SpinDisc.  I feel for you and a whole bunch of people who poured time, money and creativity into this.  While the game ran, I felt I got good value.  I know others who cannot say the same, and who later regretted, one even prior to the Sunset notice, the money he'd spent on this.  If there's a silver lining I hope it's that every dissatisfied MMORPG customer works together and promotes a Consumer or Player Bill of Rights, and that we all boycott games not willing to subscribe to it.  Titan's forum thread here:  http://www.cohtitan.com/forum/index.php?action=search2
"We must be the change we wish to see in the world." -- Mahatma Gandhi         "In every generation there has to be some fool who will speak the truth as he sees it." -- Boris Pasternak
"Where They Have Burned Books They Will End In Burning Human Beings" -- Heinrich Heine