Author Topic: Are NCSoft really so ignorant?  (Read 3323 times)

dior

• Minion
Are NCSoft really so ignorant?
« on: November 04, 2012, 03:47:38 PM »
OK so I think I know the answer already!

I posted this text on the facebook pages for NCSoft earlier in October, and to date, no-one at NCSoft has replied. Thanks for the likes, but, how can we progress if no-one at NCSoft replies to posts on their own facebook pages?

"Could someone at NCSoft recommend one of their games to me?

I am migrating from City Of Heroes after having played for nearly 6 years. Can you suggest a title I can play which you DON'T plan on closing down without any explanation with-in the forseeable future.
I don't wish to take on such a committment again unless the company has the same level of committment to the game as I and many others do?
Do any titles fall into that category please.

Thanks for you speedy reply"

The company seemingly doesn't even read its own mission statements.

Artillerie

• Lieutenant
Re: Are NCSoft really so ignorant?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2012, 03:52:24 PM »
Still, it sounds like a good call. Somewhere in the NCSoft structure i guess that someone has an idea of this kind of thing being posted and presumably it will be reported on at some point.

Twisted Toon

• New Efforts # 13,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2012, 06:34:59 PM »
OK so I think I know the answer already!

I posted this text on the facebook pages for NCSoft earlier in October, and to date, no-one at NCSoft has replied. Thanks for the likes, but, how can we progress if no-one at NCSoft replies to posts on their own facebook pages?

"Could someone at NCSoft recommend one of their games to me?

I am migrating from City Of Heroes after having played for nearly 6 years. Can you suggest a title I can play which you DON'T plan on closing down without any explanation with-in the forseeable future.
I don't wish to take on such a committment again unless the company has the same level of committment to the game as I and many others do?
Do any titles fall into that category please.

Thanks for you speedy reply"

You could take their silence as the answer to your question. They can't come up with a single title that they will not shut down without notice or explanation in the foreseeable future.
Hope never abandons you, you abandon it. - George Weinberg

Hope ... is not a feeling; it is something you do. - Katherine Paterson

Nobody really cares if you're miserable, so you might as well be happy. - Cynthia Nelms

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2012, 08:01:53 PM »
I wouldn't answer such a hostile question if I were NCsoft. To be honest, I'm impressed they didn't just delete it off their page. They've deleted posts for less.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2012, 10:20:12 PM »
OK so I think I know the answer already!...

It do come off as bit...snappish.

I wouldnt take that question serious either.

I dont think that is how you meant to come across and probably visualized it differently when it was written but remember these are texts on a page and reading it over and over and going by the caps as emphasis, it sounds sarcastic.

They may think that the explanation that have been given was sufficient although I think it was about as vague as vague can get so saying there was no explanation is basically calling their explanation that has been BS off the bat.  Although it may be but if expecting an actual reply, probably not good to call the explanation given as BS. They make take it as you wont listen to them no matter what they say and in the buisness world time is money and they dont like (usually) waste either one.

Although, what kind of game are you looking for in the NCSoft's stable? You have GW1 GW2, Aion, The Lineage games, those new games they are coming out with and maybe more. Will they be around for decades? Who knows, it all depends on who's forseeable future is it suppose to apply to. And unfortunately even if they did know in their forseeable future which games are closing, they probably will not answer that. One, that is bad buisness in the mean time for that game. And two...well imagine learning about our closure from an Aion player on Aug 20th. "I'm an Aion player and I'm here to tell you that NCSoft told me that they are shutting down the game Nov. 30th." And since the devs were in the dark too they would probably dismiss it as rumor or something that they have not heard. Then come Aug 31st and NCsoft makes the announcement. Then the problem and question would be why did they tell the Aion player about our shutdown first and waited until now(then) to tell us? That is bogus!

I think the answer to what game to play will have to come from your own judgement. We know NCSoft habits now it's up to you to decide whether the risk is worth it or not. Me personally either way you go, of not giving NCSoft a single dime ever again, or jumping to one of their other games, I wont think nothing less of you or think you are a sell out of NCSoft apologist. And I think niether will most of the people here. And hope what ever decision you make, you find enjoyment and that is what matters most. Just dont expect too much help from NCSOft directly to help with that decision. They probably will remain mum on the subject as much as possible. I expect them too because they dont want anything they say to come back and bite them or add to another thing that can be used against them. It's like court. While the first instinct is to defend yourself, sometimes it's best to be silent and wait for a lawyer.

DrakeGrimm

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2012, 02:56:52 AM »
Short Answer: Yes.

Long Answer: Yeeessssssssssssssssss.

* DrakeGrimm is kind of a smart aleck. >.>
We are the crazy ones, the mavericks, the dreamers, the forgotten sons. We color outside the lines for fun. We are the crazy ones! - "The Crazy Ones," Stellar Revival

"We put ourselves in "the attitude of heroes"--and we all became a little more heroic." - VV

emu265

• Elite Boss
  • Wait, what?
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2012, 06:39:17 AM »
You could take their silence as the answer to your question. They can't come up with a single title that they will not shut down without notice or explanation in the foreseeable future.
Couldn't have said it better.

Osborn

• Boss
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2012, 03:55:28 PM »
Couldn't have said it better.

That's primarily the reason I'm out of the MMO genre altogether when CoH closes down, likely.

It'd be like buying a car and getting into automobiles to find out that, no matter how profitable cars are, or how useful, that the roads could just vanish tomorrow and you're legally not even allowed to drive on the dirt of your own front yard because roads are somebody else's intellectual property.

Heck, that's primarily the reason why the PS3 is probably going to be my last video gaming console. DRM and online purchases almost verbatim insure that none of my purchases today will be around to play in 5-10 years. I can still stick an NES game in the toaster and play it today.

It's not an unfair or snarky question at all, even if the question hurts NCSoft. The fact that the question can be seen as unfair to NCSoft just portrays NCSoft even worse. The only way that question is unfair is to presume NCSoft is entitled to my money and I should blindly buy anything no matter how transient; that I the customer am not allowed to see my own purchases as investments or care about the 'realignment' of my own 'focuses', and that only their goals matter.

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2012, 12:23:54 AM »
That's primarily the reason I'm out of the MMO genre altogether when CoH closes down, likely.

It'd be like buying a car and getting into automobiles to find out that, no matter how profitable cars are, or how useful, that the roads could just vanish tomorrow and you're legally not even allowed to drive on the dirt of your own front yard because roads are somebody else's intellectual property.

Heck, that's primarily the reason why the PS3 is probably going to be my last video gaming console. DRM and online purchases almost verbatim insure that none of my purchases today will be around to play in 5-10 years. I can still stick an NES game in the toaster and play it today.

It's not an unfair or snarky question at all, even if the question hurts NCSoft. The fact that the question can be seen as unfair to NCSoft just portrays NCSoft even worse. The only way that question is unfair is to presume NCSoft is entitled to my money and I should blindly buy anything no matter how transient; that I the customer am not allowed to see my own purchases as investments or care about the 'realignment' of my own 'focuses', and that only their goals matter.

Not unfair, just snarky.
Are you asking just to try to hurt NCSoft? But really, the wording looks like hostile bait. You basically seem to say that they are not committed to their games, which may be true to us in our view but as player it's a bias given this situation and level of commitment is subjective.

While you say they must have a level of commitment that is on the same level as your, you never even specify what level that is. Any answer to that alone is a set up for a less than satifying answer and could be used as fuel. And fro mwhat view should the answer be based on? A buisness view, which you must ask yourself are you prepared for that answer without getting upset and using it fuel this cause? Or from a player standpoint of view?

I have a haunch that any question about their decision they may view it as or figure it's is from the people of this cause and probably will try to remain silent for ever unless legally forced to speak. That is ok. We must do what we have to do regardless. I think the boat is about to sail on the point of trying to open communication with them. Does this mean unleash the rabid hounds? No.

"You wont ever coax a turtle out of it's shell by continously tapping on it regardless of how pressing the issue is. Sometime you have to step back and wait until the turtle comes out on it's own."
In the meantime keep gettign the word out but stick to the facts that can be proven and let them know what went on here. 

johnrobey

• Elite Boss
  • CoH global: @Kristoff von Gelmini
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2012, 01:32:42 PM »
(editing quote to just this)

I fond NCSoft's mission statements upon initial reading to be nicely worded and clearly just marketing "puffery" since thus far the company has demonstrated little to no adherence to these principles: http://global.ncsoft.com/global/aboutus/visiongoals.aspx 
"We must be the change we wish to see in the world." -- Mahatma Gandhi         "In every generation there has to be some fool who will speak the truth as he sees it." -- Boris Pasternak
"Where They Have Burned Books They Will End In Burning Human Beings" -- Heinrich Heine

dior

• Minion
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2012, 02:08:18 PM »

Thank you Osborne!

Yes the question was relatively "loaded", but it definately wasn't rude. It was polite (more than wished) and explained my reasons for asking, but was aimed at getting NCSoft to commit to saying where their loyalties lie gamewise. Damn, I wouldn't subscribe to anything else they produced as long as I draw breath!
I'm sorry if I ruffled feathers, but to be honest, its exactly the same question I ask when I buy a new car/TV etc - I don't want to buy something unless I know there is some element of future support offered. Sure, cars and TV's are a bad comparison as models change, but what interests me more is why they haven't suggested any titles!

Turjan

• Elite Boss
  • You cannot kill a dream
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2012, 02:31:18 PM »
I'm sorry if I ruffled feathers, but to be honest, its exactly the same question I ask when I buy a new car/TV etc - I don't want to buy something unless I know there is some element of future support offered. Sure, cars and TV's are a bad comparison as models change, but what interests me more is why they haven't suggested any titles!

No, I don't believe that's a bad comparison. Fact is, the games industry as a whole has been getting away with an anomalously poor service record for...well, ever really. And MMOs have been the absolute worst offenders.

Take patches - can you imagine buying a car, only to have an engineer come round a week after purchase to fit a component to it because "it wasn't quite ready at the time of the product's launch"?

Or how about a cable tv package that you're paying for monthly, then the service provider suddenly and inexplicably cancels half your favorite channels without even offering a hint of explanation?

Such things are ridiculously common in the games industry and for years we the customers have just sat back and accepted it because "well, it's always been that way" and "it's only games after all...it's not totally important like my fridge or car, is it?".

Yes, you do find companies discontinuing older models, but never without having a sleeker/faster/fancier unit ready to roll to replace the old one. This is because most companies realise the value of 'customer loyalty' - i.e. keeping a customer you already have and persuading them to upgrade is far cheaper than trying to recruit an entirely new one.

But the way NCsoft are behaving is incredibly poor even in the gaming industry. They are insulting their customers - us - and trying to give the impression they're being generous while doing it. And then they turn round and pout and act all affronted like it's us who've done them the disservice!

Arrogance and ignorance hand in hand - on a global scale no less.

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2012, 05:26:55 PM »
No, I don't believe that's a bad comparison. Fact is, the games industry as a whole has been getting away with an anomalously poor service record for...well, ever really. And MMOs have been the absolute worst offenders.

Take patches - can you imagine buying a car, only to have an engineer come round a week after purchase to fit a component to it because "it wasn't quite ready at the time of the product's launch"?

Or how about a cable tv package that you're paying for monthly, then the service provider suddenly and inexplicably cancels half your favorite channels without even offering a hint of explanation?

Such things are ridiculously common in the games industry and for years we the customers have just sat back and accepted it because "well, it's always been that way" and "it's only games after all...it's not totally important like my fridge or car, is it?".

Yes, you do find companies discontinuing older models, but never without having a sleeker/faster/fancier unit ready to roll to replace the old one. This is because most companies realise the value of 'customer loyalty' - i.e. keeping a customer you already have and persuading them to upgrade is far cheaper than trying to recruit an entirely new one.

But the way NCsoft are behaving is incredibly poor even in the gaming industry. They are insulting their customers - us - and trying to give the impression they're being generous while doing it. And then they turn round and pout and act all affronted like it's us who've done them the disservice!

Arrogance and ignorance hand in hand - on a global scale no less.

Sometimes the new sleek car isnt always the same nor better car besides the name. Added gadgets doesnt automatically mean better. Mustang II anyone? The 1996 Impala compared to the late 90s-2004 era Impala, No more Town Car or Fleeetwood, DTS/STS replaced with a mid sized XTS. BMW 7 series, conservative good performance, compared to Bangle Butt 7 series (still a sharp car but the design was mostly panned.) The 3 series grew larger until most said it wasnt really anything like the classic 3 series(small simple, performance) (thus the intro of 1 series eventually). Muscle cars regular simple cars with an oversized engine that could rip a house down. Lexus LS400-MBZ features but about half or less than half the price. Now about nearerly in the same price range but with very odd styling. No more Trans AM or GTO, Eldorado. Escalade seats from 1999 and becoming less plush and more generic with each passing model. The original Escalde seats were like sitting on a sofa now it's meh, nothing special about them anymore. Bentley GT-equals done up Audi/Volkswagen, Phantom looks like armored 7 series, Maybach is gone, Jetta falling interorior quality over the years according to most magazines compared to the old one. Many family American cars although newer still get the same highway or worse than then cars older. I.E. 2006 DTS 4.6 v-8 good riide quality 24 mpg highway Northstar engine the most technological advanced american engine. 1995 Fleetwood old design LT1 engine 25 mpg highway better ride quality than the DTS which is ten years or more newer and without half the engine management gadgets. Not to mention the fiasco when they killed the Camaro in 2002 about period. Ford loved it though as the Mustang sales skyrocketed. At least they seen that folly and brought it back.

And I think the "newer always mean better thinking" is the folly of the MMO world. Killing a game because it's old even though it's doing just fine is not something that is always a smart move. A person is more likely to buy and or at least try the new product if you dont kill what they love even if it's old. But when a person kill the old product for the sake of being old just to replace it with new, you may lose the customer no matter how good the new product is. Like COX and Blade/Soul. There is nothing in the rule book that says players dont and wont go for both products.  Some people would have gladly bought (for example) a new fleetwood and a new DTS on the side but when ya kill the product, it's like saying that part of the customer base do not matter.