Author Topic: Top 100 Games of All Time  (Read 2982 times)

voodoogirl

Top 100 Games of All Time
« on: November 16, 2012, 01:52:07 AM »

Sugoi

• Boss
Re: Top 100 Games of All Time
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2012, 06:16:09 AM »
They missed more than one.... but then I've always played much more than the games "everyone" were playing.

And as much as City of Heroes is loved, it is still a very small, very niche level game compared to other games which sold millions of copies in various formats.  But in my nearly 40 years of video gaming experience, it has been a wonderfully satisfying event which I for one shall never forget.

Some of the comments on the site are priceless... no matter what you list, someone always thinks a personal favorite or three are missing.

Zolgar

• Grand Poobah of Plan Z
  • Boss
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2012, 10:40:21 AM »
I think the list is mostly dreck. It's missing a LOT of great games.
None of the Fallouts.
No Baldur's Gate.
Also, Oblivion but no Skyrim, Morrowind or Daggerfall? I've met few people who don't consider one of those 3 the best TES game. >.>

The Fifth Horseman

• Elite Boss
  • Outside known realities.
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2012, 06:15:49 PM »
No X-Com? Bah, that list is a joke.
We were heroes. We were villains. At the end of the world we all fought as one. It's what we did that defines us.
The end occurred pretty much as we predicted: all servers redlining until midnight... and then no servers to go around.

Somewhere beyond time and space, if you look hard you might find a flash of silver trailing crimson: a lone lost Spartan on his way home.

Terwyn

• Plan Z: Business/Marketing Lead
  • Elite Boss
    • Missing Worlds
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2012, 09:49:48 PM »
Not to mention, I didn't see any of the Pokemon games, either... considering just how much money that's brought Nintendo, it's easily one of the most popular game series ever created.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction.
- Albert Einstein

http://missingworlds.wordpress.com

General Idiot

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2012, 03:04:53 AM »
Popularity doesn't always mean quality. See also: The best MMO ever made, that one we all play.

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2012, 04:56:44 AM »
In your own opinion of course.
In theory, it's everyone's opinions who are on the Save COH boards, because otherwise why would you be here?

You use that "you" word a lot, separating yourself from the rest of us schmoes. lol
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Kosmos

• Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2012, 08:11:38 AM »
That is a pretty pathetic list. There are some titles that would be in my top 10 (Master of Orion) or 20 (Baldur's Gate II, X-Com) that are omitted. The omission of Master of Orion (and even Warcraft), with Starcraft being there tells me pretty much all I need to know about the author(s).

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2012, 02:25:15 PM »
That is a pretty pathetic list. There are some titles that would be in my top 10 (Master of Orion) or 20 (Baldur's Gate II, X-Com) that are omitted. The omission of Master of Orion (and even Warcraft), with Starcraft being there tells me pretty much all I need to know about the author(s).

All of these are in my top ten, except BG 1 instead of 2. Also, the SSI "Gold Box" games, which were a radical departure from their usual fair of military strategy games. And Civ 1 or 2.
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

LadyWizard

• Minion
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2012, 10:44:36 PM »
No Final Fantasy 7 either but hey they did remember King's quest

jabiggers

• Minion
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2012, 02:13:40 AM »

Flashtoo

• Minion
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2012, 05:04:51 AM »
I think the list is mostly dreck. It's missing a LOT of great games.
None of the Fallouts.
No Baldur's Gate.
Also, Oblivion but no Skyrim, Morrowind or Daggerfall? I've met few people who don't consider one of those 3 the best TES game. >.>

Oblivion was nowhere near as good as Skyrim or Morrowind. Haven't gotten Daggerfall to work yet.

Zolgar

• Grand Poobah of Plan Z
  • Boss
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2012, 07:31:08 AM »
Oblivion was nowhere near as good as Skyrim or Morrowind. Haven't gotten Daggerfall to work yet.

Pretty much my point..

Usually with TES fans it's:
"Daggerfall was the best ever."
"Morrowind was the best ever."
"Skyrim was the best ever."

.. Never heard Oblivion or Arena as the best.
The closest I'll hear is usually like..
"Oblivion and Morrowind were so much better than Skyrim."
"Oblivion and Skyrim were so much better than Morrowind."
Or something like that.. but usually people who think Oblivion was better than Skyrim, like Morrowind more.. and people who think it was better than Morrowind, like Skyrim more..

Apparently Oblivion is in this limbo middle ground between Morrowind and Skyrim.. that someone thinks is perfect. >.>