Author Topic: One thing that caught my eye...  (Read 4591 times)

TargetOne

• Lieutenant
One thing that caught my eye...
« on: November 11, 2012, 01:11:42 AM »
In recent months, NCSoft has been advertising "Guild Wars 2" in various magazines with a two-page spread, consisting of a diverse group of warriors rallying against some unseen out-of-picture foe, and the banner text below (which I have reproduced to the best of the forum's ability):

WE ARE THE BRAVE.

WE ARE THE FREE.

WE ARE UNITED.

OUR TIME IS NOW.

Sound like anyone we know?  ;D

Seriously, we totally should subvert this to our own cause (only with the fantasy-MMO warriors replaced with CoH heroes). I think it would only be fitting.

Jordan_Lee

• Lieutenant
Re: One thing that caught my eye...
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2012, 02:04:51 AM »
I haven't seen it but I can picture it. Sounds like a good idea. Are you good enough at paintshop to recreate it?

Moonfyire101

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2012, 02:50:50 AM »
can you link us to the ad so we can see it? I wan't to see if i can recreate it with heroes as you said. If it won't take too much tme, i can do it depending on what needs to be done. I have finals right now and longs hours a work so i'll try and do what i can.

avelworldcreator

• Elite Boss
  • Missing Worlds Media co-founder/senior developer.
    • Basketcase Software
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2012, 07:29:11 AM »
I also could pull it off if needed. Just need an original.
Missing World Media primary co-founder, senior developer, UI/UX acting lead, and software toolsmith.

Knightslayer

• Elite Boss
    • Monster Game!
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2012, 01:48:23 PM »
I haven't seen it but I can picture it. Sounds like a good idea. Are you good enough at paintshop to recreate it?
I bet Turjan could do it!
And nice one, Target!

johnrobey

• Elite Boss
  • CoH global: @Kristoff von Gelmini
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2012, 02:06:42 PM »
Perhaps it's time we pony up some money to take out advertising of our own.  I know this idea was floated before.  Getting a coherent, reasonable message from otherwise happy, reasonable customers to media sources in Korea and to the gaming industry may be the way to go.  It's been done, you say?  If I read Fansy correctly, Fansy is saying MORE of this is needed.  Perhaps we need to gather more testimonials.  And maybe some of all of it should come from the kids, not the adults who've sounded like children (I'm guilty of that).

In the supergroup on Justice, the kids grew up playing CoH since they watched their parents playing it and of course it looked cool and appealed to them.  We were delighted when one of those kids recently was named valedictorian at his high school graduation.  LL is now is college.  Indeed was writing to us about college life and settling in and looking forward to having time to play CoH again regularly, as well as getting his college dormmates to check CoH out.  Those plans along with many others ended on 8/31/12.

Persons with disabilities such as myself can testify to the value and role CoH played in our lives.  I think a lot of what we'd want to say has already been posted to forums, official and otherwise.  It might also be this has already been done, but I'm unaware of it.   My two cents doesn't even cover the tax on a cup of coffee, but there it is.
"We must be the change we wish to see in the world." -- Mahatma Gandhi         "In every generation there has to be some fool who will speak the truth as he sees it." -- Boris Pasternak
"Where They Have Burned Books They Will End In Burning Human Beings" -- Heinrich Heine

Turjan

• Elite Boss
  • You cannot kill a dream
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2012, 04:34:43 PM »
I just searched for the phrase, and came across the video advert for GW2...good grief, it's such an appalling piece of advertising that it practically parodies itself already, lol

Alas, I can't seem to find the magazine ad images online, but I'll keep checking in case one turns up though :)

TargetOne

• Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2012, 08:28:16 PM »
Okay, I scanned the ad:

Forgive the seam, my scanner's only so big. But you ought to get the idea.

This ad has been printed in PC Gamer, Maximum PC, and likely others as well.

TargetOne

Jordan_Lee

• Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2012, 01:32:37 AM »
I think the scanned image looks good enough. Though I really know nothing about art...my stick men come out disabled. I really look forward to see what others make of it, though.

And as for getting our own ads, any idea the possible cost? I'd be happy to donate but I could probably only afford $20-$50 maybe? Holidays are breathing down my neck :/

TargetOne

• Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2012, 01:57:57 AM »
And as for getting our own ads, any idea the possible cost? I'd be happy to donate but I could probably only afford $20-$50 maybe? Holidays are breathing down my neck :/

Even if we could afford a two-page spread in the likes of a national gaming magazine, it's a bit late to do any good (these things have a lead time of several months, it's be early next year before it'd appear in print).

[EDIT: Fixing quote ~Agge]
« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 02:14:29 AM by Aggelakis »

Jordan_Lee

• Lieutenant
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2012, 02:02:16 AM »

Even if we could afford a two-page spread in the likes of a national gaming magazine, it's a bit late to do any good (these things have a lead time of several months, it's be early next year before it'd appear in print).

Yeah I thought about that right after I posted  :-\

healix

• Elite Boss
  • Every good friend was once a stranger
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2012, 07:37:31 AM »
Ok...I just couldn't resist..LOL
Listen to the 'mustn'ts'. Listen to the 'don'ts'. Listen to the 'shouldn'ts', the 'impossibles', the 'won'ts'. Listen to the 'you'll never haves', then listen close to me... Anything can happen . Anything can be.

Quinch

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2012, 02:47:33 PM »
Ok...I just couldn't resist..LOL

Hey, who asked you to resist? This is very nice!

Omega Mark V

• Boss
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2012, 03:40:47 PM »
This could be a great meem you know...

Let's see some more! Great idea, TargetOne, and great job healix!
- Omega Mk. V

Quinch

« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2012, 03:44:08 PM »
By the way, what is that emote?

Colette

• Elite Boss
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2012, 04:49:39 PM »
Love this, Healix!

Colors are out of harmony, though. For example, you have a light blue on the CoH box logo, medium blue on our logo, and green blue behind the character. A little tint-adjusting in photoshop could make this really harmonious and professional looking.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2012, 08:52:27 PM »
I was seeing the green-blue as a power effect or aura.

2inf
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."